Ricoh GR aperture blades won't open at start up

Started Mar 2, 2016 | Discussions
Valentino 67
Valentino 67 Junior Member • Posts: 43
Ricoh GR aperture blades won't open at start up

My Ricoh GR and my friend's Ricoh GR have the same problem: when the camera is turn on, the lens extend normally, the cover lens opens, but the aperture blades don't open.

Only after pressing the shutter button and taking a photo in black (with the aperture blades closed) the camera will work normally (the blades will open). This happens any time the camera is turn on.

Did you have this problem? One Ricoh is one year old, the other one two years old... Thanks.

Valentino 67's gear list:Valentino 67's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR II Ricoh GR III
Martin JC Veteran Member • Posts: 3,019
Re: Ricoh GR aperture blades won't open at start up

Not heard about this before....  I hope it gets sorted.

Martin JC's gear list:Martin JC's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital III Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill
rondom Veteran Member • Posts: 3,196

Valentino 67 wrote:

My Ricoh GR and my friend's Ricoh GR have the same problem: when the camera is turn on, the lens extend normally, the cover lens opens, but the aperture blades don't open.

Only after pressing the shutter button and taking a photo in black (with the aperture blades closed) the camera will work normally (the blades will open). This happens any time the camera is turn on.

Did you have this problem? One Ricoh is one year old, the other one two years old... Thanks.

my GR had exactly the same problem after a year of use, and the workaround you described above didn't last for a long time and in few days the camera died altogether. They had to change the lens unit.

Limburger
Limburger Veteran Member • Posts: 7,841

rondom wrote:

Valentino 67 wrote:

my GR had exactly the same problem after a year of use, and the workaround you described above didn't last for a long time and in few days the camera died altogether. They had to change the lens unit.

Some help might be posting the SN so people new to the GR can skip this batch.

Similar happened with the Fuji X100 (blades wouldn't close during exposure).

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike
Register and vote.

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Sony a7 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM +3 more
Valentino 67
OP Valentino 67 Junior Member • Posts: 43

rondom wrote:

Valentino 67 wrote:

my GR had exactly the same problem after a year of use, and the workaround you described above didn't last for a long time and in few days the camera died altogether. They had to change the lens unit.

Thank you, it looks like this is the fix.

sevresbabylone Regular Member • Posts: 111

The same thing happened to mine Saturday night. Sad to read that it's going to get worse (i.e. the one shot to open the blades won't last for long.)

For what it's worth my shutter count is 14229.

sevresbabylone's gear list:sevresbabylone's gear list
Sony a7S II

sevresbabylone wrote:

The same thing happened to mine Saturday night. Sad to read that it's going to get worse (i.e. the one shot to open the blades won't last for long.)

Well, maybe not all get worse...good luck.

Valentino 67
OP Valentino 67 Junior Member • Posts: 43
Update: cost of repair more than the cost of a new GR

It will take $840 CAD to replace the whole optical part, more than the cost of a new GR! My GR still works but I don't know for how long... It looks like Ricoh GR has a short life span, no more than 2 years...

Re: Update: cost of repair more than the cost of a new GR

Valentino 67 wrote:

It will take $840 CAD to replace the whole optical part, more than the cost of a new GR! My GR still works but I don't know for how long... It looks like Ricoh GR has a short life span, no more than 2 years...

This doesn't sound right...which service center is that? Not long ago, I received a quotation for the same item from the official German service center. I think it was around 250 euros.

it's ridiculous and ricoh should know that

i just checked: 280 euros plus shipping (total lens unit replacement)

so the price you got is ridiculous and ricoh should know that. Out of warranty cost needs to be reasonable...this isn't.

rondom wrote:

sevresbabylone wrote:

My good luck ran out.  I hadn't used it much since the blades not opening problem started, but thought I would give it a go, and set it on the manual so the initial blank shot wouldn't take so long.  But it's died completely.  Lens extended, then camera shut itself down.  Restarting briefly gets me the black screen with the info (shutter speed, type of focus, etc) displaying, but it dies in a second or so.

Sony a7S II
gr sticky shutters

sevresbabylone wrote:

rondom wrote:

sevresbabylone wrote:

My good luck ran out. I hadn't used it much since the blades not opening problem started, but thought I would give it a go, and set it on the manual so the initial blank shot wouldn't take so long. But it's died completely. Lens extended, then camera shut itself down. Restarting briefly gets me the black screen with the info (shutter speed, type of focus, etc) displaying, but it dies in a second or so.

this is exactly what i experienced. sorry to hear about it. if you send it to service center they will replace the lens unit for you. probably will cost you slightly less than a used GR (which may eventually develop the same or other problems) so it may be worth repairing as the camera will get a new life after it.

This is a very serious but less covered GR problem ( compared to all the dust threads).

Harold66
Harold66 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,160
Re: gr sticky shutters

Yes indeed, this is much worse.do you know what was your shutter count when it died ?

-- hide signature --

FOLLOW me on IG @haroldglitphotography. one NEW picture EVERY day !
thedemandingtraveler.org
www.haroldglit.com
www.modelmayhem.com/haroldglit
IG :haroldglitphotography

Harold66's gear list:Harold66's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GR II Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +8 more

Harold66 wrote:

Yes indeed, this is much worse.do you know what was your shutter count when it died ?

Around 15K

About 14200

Sony a7S II
Harold66

Thank you to both of you for sharing that info

i will keep my fingers crossed for both my GR  and Gr2 which are both significantly over this threshold

H

-- hide signature --

thedemandingtraveler.org
www.haroldglit.com

Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GR II Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +8 more
brintam
brintam New Member • Posts: 8

I am unfortunately also now experiencing the closed shutter problem.   And have had dust on the sensor for 1+ years.  FYI I have taken 14757 exposures so there seems to be a pattern?

Pondering in what direction I should go... I have just taken out my GRD3 from the drawer.

brintam's gear list:brintam's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +2 more

While mulling what to do about mine, I bought a used Fuji X100t, a camera I'd been interested in some time.  But after using it for a few months, I've bought a used GR II (waiting for it to arrive.)  Surprisingly, because I don't consider myself to be a wide shooter, I missed the 28mm.  More than that, I missed snap focus.  I was missing shots while adjusting the autofocus point, or fidgeting with the Fuji's manual focusing.  In fairness, I'd been using Ricohs since the GRD2, so I'm so much more familiar with the camera.  Also, I prefer the size and handling of the Ricoh.  I will say that I liked the Fuji's colour rendition, and especially liked the fact that in Adobe Camera Raw, one can switch between the Fuji's different film simulations.  I shoot a lot of bands in bars and clubs with lowlight and super-saturated LED lighting, and the Fuji is the best of cameras that I used for taming that lighting (compared to M9, Olympus E-M5, and the GRD and GR cameras.).

Sony a7S II
Harold66

brintam wrote:

I am unfortunately also now experiencing the closed shutter problem. And have had dust on the sensor for 1+ years. FYI I have taken 14757 exposures so there seems to be a pattern?

Pondering in what direction I should go... I have just taken out my GRD3 from the drawer.

That sucks . I guess I have been lucky.. so far. My GR has now 26,000+ shutter count and the GRII 23,000+

did you guys notice any warning signs before the problem appeared ?

H

-- hide signature --

thedemandingtraveler.org
www.haroldglit.com

Harold66 wrote:

did you guys notice any warning signs before the problem appeared ?

H

Yes, there was a warning sign: the blades would fail to open at start up, but turning off and on the camera would work. Then it would get gradually worse, and finally fail for good.

that's probably why I am now concerned with the unresponsive buttons (see my new thread) for all I know it will remain manageable and not get worse, but who knows...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads