Will we see a G5X Mark II any time soon?

Started Feb 27, 2016 | Discussions
phazelag
phazelag Veteran Member • Posts: 3,236
Will we see a G5X Mark II any time soon?
2

I am not sure how the improvements to the G7X Mark 2 stack up to the G5X, but I do like the G5X setup with the EVF and controls.  I already have a few in this category, but I am helping a friend shop and secretly I am drooling over the G5X and Nikon DLs.   Just curious about these difference.

I can see a Frames per second difference, however does the G7X M2 have faster AF than the G5X?  To me fast autofocus is more important than an EVF or controls.   Just curios.

 phazelag's gear list:phazelag's gear list
Sony RX100 III Panasonic FZ1000 Canon G9 X II Canon EOS M50 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +2 more
Canon PowerShot G5 X Canon PowerShot G7 X
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
damian5000 Senior Member • Posts: 1,948
Re: Will we see a G5X Mark II any time soon?

phazelag wrote:

I am not sure how the improvements to the G7X Mark 2 stack up to the G5X, but I do like the G5X setup with the EVF and controls. I already have a few in this category, but I am helping a friend shop and secretly I am drooling over the G5X and Nikon DLs. Just curious about these difference.

I can see a Frames per second difference, however does the G7X M2 have faster AF than the G5X? To me fast autofocus is more important than an EVF or controls. Just curios.

I think very unlikely... It's only been out for a few months. Probably minimum of at least 6 months before next one announced.

 damian5000's gear list:damian5000's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X
justmeMN Veteran Member • Posts: 8,712
Re: Will we see a G5X Mark II any time soon?

According to DPR, the G5 X was announced in October. I doubt that we will see a G5X Mark II until this fall, if then.

4xdog Contributing Member • Posts: 555
Re: Will we see a G5X Mark II any time soon?

Canon is typically on a, what, two-year upgrade cycle for cameras like this?  It's gonna be quite a while before the G5 X mkii is announced.

 4xdog's gear list:4xdog's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD870 IS Canon PowerShot S95 Canon G1 X II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M3 +12 more
rpm40
rpm40 Senior Member • Posts: 2,411
Re: Will we see a G5X Mark II any time soon?

It was 18 months from the G7X to the G7Xii, and the G5X is only 4 months old so I imagine a new one is at least a year off.

We will probably see some of the upgrades carry over when it does get here, though, like the better processor, improved battery life, click/clickless switching lens ring, etc. The question is what other new upgrades they will come up with between now and then!

bitbang New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Will we see a G5X Mark II any time soon?
1

I think they are launching Canon Powershot g5X Mark II in Photokina. I was chatting with a seller about pricematching for the G5X , they said they can't as its an end of life product. Also they are expecting teh G5X mark II within next 3 weeks.

Oliver Bedford
Oliver Bedford Regular Member • Posts: 108
Re: Will we see a G5X Mark II any time soon?

Shouldn't we then see a price drop for the current G5 X?

Pan Robotnik New Member • Posts: 2
Re: Will we see a G5X Mark II any time soon?

Any news from Photokina?
I'm about to buy G5X, but if there was an upgrade coming, I can easily wait until next year.

Heinz2 New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Will we see a G5X Mark II any time soon?
1

What do you think, is it probable to expect the G5X Mark II at PhotoPlusExpo beginning on 19. Oct?

G-D Contributing Member • Posts: 708
Re: Will we see a G5X Mark II any time soon?
1

Heinz2 wrote:

What do you think, is it probable to expect the G5X Mark II at PhotoPlusExpo beginning on 19. Oct?

Who knows. But most likely it'll be overpriced, again. G7 X II is still 700€, so G5 X II will probably be around 950€, msrp. Then if they put a sensor based on the 80D sensor and an EVF in the G1X III, they can price that at 1300€. Way outta my league tho.

Oliver Bedford
Oliver Bedford Regular Member • Posts: 108
Re: Will we see a G5X Mark II any time soon?
1

Overpriced? According to what standards?

G7 X MK II was 660-680 € at launch and currently sells for 618 € at amazon.de and saturn.de

G7 X was around 650 € at launch.

And yes, the G5 X is more expensive than the G7 X.

Oliver

G-D Contributing Member • Posts: 708
Re: Will we see a G5X Mark II any time soon?
2

Oliver Bedford wrote:

Overpriced? According to what standards?

Mine!

Oliver Bedford
Oliver Bedford Regular Member • Posts: 108
Re: Will we see a G5X Mark II any time soon?

I haven't read any rumours or infos from Photokina regarding the G5 X. Looking at the price (which is stable) I would guess the Mk II to appear spring 2017 the earliest.

G7 X: Mk 1 Sep 2014 ==> Mk2 Feb 2016.

G5 X: Mk 1 Oct 2015 ==> Mk 2 Spring 2017

Oliver

Pan Robotnik New Member • Posts: 2
Re: Will we see a G5X Mark II any time soon?

Or spring 2018 since there was no announcement this time in Photokina? I'm just not following photography equipment news and don't know what to look for. Any other big events Canon would announce their plans?

loitokitok Senior Member • Posts: 2,303
Re: Will we see a G5X Mark II any time soon?
3

Pan Robotnik wrote:

Or spring 2018 since there was no announcement this time in Photokina? I'm just not following photography equipment news and don't know what to look for. Any other big events Canon would announce their plans?

CP+

http://www.cpplus.jp/en

or CES

https://www.ces.tech/

TimtoTo Junior Member • Posts: 25
Re: Will we see a G5X Mark II any time soon?

G-D wrote:

Oliver Bedford wrote:

Overpriced? According to what standards?

Mine!

Yep, they are way too expensive for me as well, although I really like to have one.

justmeMN Veteran Member • Posts: 8,712
Re: Will we see a G5X Mark II any time soon?

G-D wrote:

Heinz2 wrote:

What do you think, is it probable to expect the G5X Mark II at PhotoPlusExpo beginning on 19. Oct?

Who knows. But most likely it'll be overpriced, again.

Currently, on the Canon USA online store:

The G5X is US$750.

The T6i (750D) DSLR is US$750.

The smaller sensor size of the G5X doesn't result in a smaller price.

photo perzon Veteran Member • Posts: 4,653
Reluctantly found G7Xii to be superior to Sony RX100s!

Would love to see a G5Xii with a bounced flash and peppy speeds.  The current G5X is too slow, the 7 is just fine.

 photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Fujifilm X70 Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T100 +1 more
Mike Ranfft Regular Member • Posts: 160
Re: Reluctantly found G7Xii to be superior to Sony RX100s!

photo perzon wrote:

Would love to see a G5Xii with a bounced flash and peppy speeds. The current G5X is too slow, the 7 is just fine.

So how did you find the G7Xii to be superior to the Sony RX100s?  (I suppose that include the G5X Canon as well).  I'd be interested to hear your observations.     Mike

photo perzon Veteran Member • Posts: 4,653
Re: Reluctantly found G7Xii to be superior to Sony RX100s!

Mike Ranfft wrote:

photo perzon wrote:

Would love to see a G5Xii with a bounced flash and peppy speeds. The current G5X is too slow, the 7 is just fine.

So how did you find the G7Xii to be superior to the Sony RX100s? (I suppose that include the G5X Canon as well). I'd be interested to hear your observations. Mike

The RX100 family people look white, like they saw a ghost.  The G7Xii has great skin tones, people look healthy

 photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Fujifilm X70 Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T100 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads