Just an OK lens

Started Feb 20, 2016 | User reviews
rick ch New Member • Posts: 1
Just an OK lens

I'm not a big fan of this lens.  It is an excellent low light performer but it doesn't see to be exceptionally sharp in my opinion which is what I'd expect from a prime lens, sharpness.  I'm long time Canon shooter and I'll admit that I don't know a lot about Fuji glass but I would say that this lens would be roughly equivalent to the Canon 10-22mm or the Fuji 16-50mm in terms of overall sharpness.  Maybe I just got a bad copy but it going to go up on EBay in favor of the Fuji 35mm 2.0

rick ch's gear list:rick ch's gear list
Fujifilm X-T10
Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R
Wideangle prime lens • Fujifilm X • 16405575
Announced: Sep 5, 2013
rick ch's score
Average community score
Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
David Smith - Photographer Regular Member • Posts: 114
Re: Just an OK lens

That's strange. There must be something wrong with your camera, lens or computer. The Fujinon 23mm f/1.4 is a very sharp lens, even wide open. Maybe you can have it checked by Fujifilm rather than selling it on eBay.

Rod McD Veteran Member • Posts: 7,554
Re: Note OP's Posting Date

Hi,

Not a bad suggestion, but note that OP posted five months ago.  No doubt he's moved on.......

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Fujifilm X-T4 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +14 more
David Smith - Photographer Regular Member • Posts: 114

I understand, but you can still buy the Fujinon 23mm f/1.4 and people are still reading these user reviews when looking for information on what could possibly be there next purchase.

David Smith - Photographer wrote:

I understand, but you can still buy the Fujinon 23mm f/1.4 and people are still reading these user reviews when looking for information on what could possibly be there next purchase.

Yup, OK - and I'll throw in my $0.02c worth since I own one - it's an excellent lens.

Rod

Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Fujifilm X-T4 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +14 more
eric333 Senior Member • Posts: 1,393

Could you talk more about this lens and why you like it?

My local camera store has a used one for a reasonable price and I might jump on it.

johnbandry Senior Member • Posts: 2,938

Hmm. OP's first - and only - post, and he's vaguely rubbishing a generally well-regarded lens. Smells like troll to me. 5 months ago people sensibly ignored him.

-- hide signature --

John Bandry
“Reason is poor propaganda when opposed by the yammering, unceasing lies of ... self-serving men” - Robert A. Heinlein

johnbandry's gear list:johnbandry's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +3 more
57LowRider Veteran Member • Posts: 4,240

eric333 wrote:

Could you talk more about this lens and why you like it?

My local camera store has a used one for a reasonable price and I might jump on it.

I bought it not long after they first arrived and it was glued onto my camera for months. It's an addictively nice lens (but show me a Fuji lens that isn't).

The MF clutch isn't to everyone's taste (I like it) and it does disqualify AF+MF; really nice to use though and I enjoy the way snapping the ring back puts you straight into MF, no fiddling.

Optically, it resolves exceedingly well with f5.6 the peak of sharpness - my nickname for it is "Clarity".

Nice pilot watch.

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +11 more
Re: Troll

Hi,

I spotted the date, but didn't notice that it was the first and only post.  Yes - I suspect trolling too.

Rod

Hi Eric,

I put off buying the 23mm for a long time because I prefer smaller lenses for hiking and travel, and because I use the 18-55, which is a very good general purpose zoom which also offers OIS. It's very usable at 23mm. Nevertheless, I did recently take the plunge and bought the 23mm. I did so for my favorite FOV and because a number of reviewers said they get better resolution than they do from the 18-55. (I'm into landscape and had no interest in the wide aperture that appeals to many other people.) Side by side, it is sharper than the zoom in the corners. It's got very low distortion and good (but not perfect) resistance to flare. I also like the MF implementation with the clutch, hard stops and distance and DOF scales - things I miss on other Fuji lenses.

If you can get one for good price it's certainly worth considering if you like the FL.

Regards, Rod

MOD BobsYourUncle Veteran Member • Posts: 7,384
Re: Troll (Perhaps, but)

Rod McD wrote:

Hi,

I spotted the date, but didn't notice that it was the first and only post. Yes - I suspect trolling too.

Rod

a member was able to get some valuable information on a lens that I find a great performer.

Bob

BobsYourUncle's gear list:BobsYourUncle's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS-1D X +9 more
Robert Garcia NYC Senior Member • Posts: 2,196
Re: Troll (Perhaps, but)

I agree it's a good lens and not a great lens like the 16mm 1.4.

Jimmmy
Jimmmy Forum Member • Posts: 77

Rod McD wrote:

I understand, but you can still buy the Fujinon 23mm f/1.4 and people are still reading these user reviews when looking for information on what could possibly be there next purchase.

Yup, OK - and I'll throw in my $0.02c worth since I own one - it's an excellent lens.

Rod

Yes, like me!  I ordered this lens today -- found in listed as BGN at a pretty good price over at a KEH!  Anxious for it to arrive -- with the X-T4 body, now I've got IS!

Jimmmy's gear list:Jimmmy's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Panasonic LX100 II Fujifilm X100V Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 +30 more
Fuji Maine Senior Member • Posts: 1,230

Jimmmy wrote:

Rod McD wrote:

Rod

Yes, like me! I ordered this lens today -- found in listed as BGN at a pretty good price over at a KEH! Anxious for it to arrive -- with the X-T4 body, now I've got IS!

Holy zombie thread Batman! I can only assume that to find this four year old thread you used ask Jeeves as your search engine?!

Chris Dodkin
Chris Dodkin Forum Pro • Posts: 13,956
Disagree - it's a great lens

One of the most used x-series lenses in my setup - just outstanding sharpness, subject separation wide open, bokeh.

A must have for portrait work as part of the holt trinity of primes.

Perfect FOV for double page spread layouts in magazines.

-- hide signature --

Your time is limited, so don't waste it arguing about camera features - go out and capture memories - Oh, and size does matter - shoot MF

Chris Dodkin's gear list:Chris Dodkin's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm GFX 50S Fujifilm GFX 50R +44 more
EOS GUY
EOS GUY Senior Member • Posts: 4,420
Re: Just an OK lens

Have you ever used the efs 24mm f2.8 stm pancake?

I had it and man it's good! Well the fuji 23mm f2 I have is as good. Weather sealed and aperture ring

Sharp as heck all over corner to corner and brilliant micro contrast.

Bokeh nice. Not f1.4 nice but nice.

Never heard of the 23 f1.4 not being as good or better though....   some people say older slower af but never heard of it being bad optically.

Hard to buy a bad prime lens these days especially anything in the mid / normal range.

-- hide signature --

My Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/photonicstreetdreams/
The earth laughs in flowers.
-Ralph Waldo Emmerson
Above all else, peacefulness, love and harmony.
- Noel Shoestring

EOS GUY's gear list:EOS GUY's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM +6 more
robnich
robnich Contributing Member • Posts: 755
Re: Disagree - it's a great lens

Do I spy a seemingly perfect 1964 Porsche 356 SC parked in Encinitas, California? Marvelous photo.

Robert N.

robnich's gear list:robnich's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Fujifilm X100V Canon Pixma Pro-100
Chris Dodkin

robnich wrote:

Do I spy a seemingly perfect 1964 Porsche 356 SC parked in Encinitas, California? Marvelous photo.

Robert N.

Indeed you do sir - known to you perhaps?

-- hide signature --

Your time is limited, so don't waste it arguing about camera features - go out and capture memories - Oh, and size does matter - shoot MF

Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm GFX 50S Fujifilm GFX 50R +44 more
robnich
robnich Contributing Member • Posts: 755

Chris Dodkin wrote:

robnich wrote:

Robert N.

No, I don't know that particular Porsche 356 or its owner, but I have shopped at the Ace Hardware in The Lumberyard and was struck by the perfection of the car you captured so well.

robnich's gear list:robnich's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Fujifilm X100V Canon Pixma Pro-100
Chris Dodkin

robnich wrote:

Chris Dodkin wrote:

robnich wrote:

Robert N.

No, I don't know that particular Porsche 356 or its owner, but I have shopped at the Ace Hardware in The Lumberyard and was struck by the perfection of the car you captured so well.

Thank you sir.

The Ace store is sadly no more - and I miss the weekly car shows - maybe we can get back to them in 2021.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads