For flash users who are interested in size vs output...

Started Feb 19, 2016 | Discussions
daddyo Forum Pro • Posts: 12,670
For flash users who are interested in size vs output...

I recently bought a Panasonic DMW-FL580L flash that is a factory refurbished unit -- the flash arrived yesterday, and looks pristine. The price was too good to pass up, as I combined an additional CC discount to bring the price down to $289 (It sells new at B&H for $430).

I have been using FL-600R's for the bulk of my professional corporate conference work and they have performed well shooting at ISO 400, but I always carry a back up FL-50 for doing larger group shots or shots where proximity to the subjects was an issue.

The Pany flash intrigued me as it is more compact than the FL-50, yet is rated at GN 58 vs GN 50.

The first few test shots have been encouraging, as the metering seems to be spot on, and power output is excellent. Physically, the FL-580L is the same size and design as the FL-600R except for the flash head which is much larger. The FL-50 has a much larger body and a somewhat smaller flash head.

Power wise, at ISO 200 @ 40mm the maximum flash range is as follows:

FL-600R = 41.7 ft.; FL-50 = 57.9 ft.; and FL-580 = 61.4 ft.

At ISO 400 @ 40mm the FL-580L has an impressive range of 86.9 ft.

Here are some shots comparing the physical size:

-- hide signature --

God Bless,
Greg
www.imagismphotos.com
www.mccroskery.zenfolio.com
www.pbase.com/daddyo

daddyo's gear list:daddyo's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro
Paulmorgan Veteran Member • Posts: 8,491
Re: For flash users who are interested in size vs output...

daddyo wrote:

I recently bought a Panasonic DMW-FL580L flash that is a factory refurbished unit -- the flash arrived yesterday, and looks pristine. The price was too good to pass up, as I combined an additional CC discount to bring the price down to $289 (It sells new at B&H for $430).

I have been using FL-600R's for the bulk of my professional corporate conference work and they have performed well shooting at ISO 400, but I always carry a back up FL-50 for doing larger group shots or shots where proximity to the subjects was an issue.

The Pany flash intrigued me as it is more compact than the FL-50, yet is rated at GN 58 vs GN 50.

The first few test shots have been encouraging, as the metering seems to be spot on, and power output is excellent. Physically, the FL-580L is the same size and design as the FL-600R except for the flash head which is much larger. The FL-50 has a much larger body and a somewhat smaller flash head.

That Panasonic unit has a guide number of 58 at 200mm, its not all black and white.

What does it output at 35mm, 50mm and 85mm ?

The difference here is 45g

daleeight Senior Member • Posts: 2,330

Dang, should I get my ebay selling FL-50R off the site and keep it?

-- hide signature --

Dale

daleeight's gear list:daleeight's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +7 more
Moti Veteran Member • Posts: 8,515
Apples and oranges

daddyo wrote:

The FL50 has a GN of 50 at 90mm eq. while the FL 580L has a GN of 58 at 200mm eq. This is why it measures a longer range but im reality, it has half of the power compared to the FL50.

Cheers

Moti

-- hide signature --
Re: Apples and oranges

Moti wrote:

daddyo wrote:

The FL50 has a GN of 50 at 90mm eq. while the FL 580L has a GN of 58 at 200mm eq. This is why it measures a longer range but im reality, it has half of the power compared to the FL50.

Cheers

Moti

In fact the Panasonic has a tiny bit more but its not enough of a difference to argue over, at 85mm the FL50 has a guide number of 50, the Panasonic has a little bit more with a guide number of 52 or 53 at 85mm ( I can`t remember the exact figure but it really is pretty small)

Does the 580 have much of a size and weight advantage, hell no, both units are far to big attached to a small camera

I`m sticking with my mix of FL50`s and FL50r`S.

Moti Veteran Member • Posts: 8,515

Paulmorgan wrote:

Moti wrote:

daddyo wrote:

Cheers

Moti

In fact the Panasonic has a tiny bit more but its not enough of a difference to argue over, at 85mm the FL50 has a guide number of 50, the Panasonic has a little bit more with a guide number of 52 or 53 at 85mm ( I can`t remember the exact figure but it really is pretty small)

Does the 580 have much of a size and weight advantage, hell no, both units are far to big attached to a small camera

I`m sticking with my mix of FL50`s and FL50r`S.

Here is a comparison between the two:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/compare/Olympus_FL-50R_vs_Panasonic_DMW-FL580/BHitems/527573-REG_1029858-REG

The difference is about one stop in favour of the FL50 or in other words, the FL50 is about twice as powerful as the FL580. This is not a tiny bit.

Moti

-- hide signature --
OP daddyo Forum Pro • Posts: 12,670

Moti,

You are correct that the GN's are not comparable due to the focal length specs. However, the Pany flash is more powerful than the FL-50 at all focal lengths, and that is just a fact. If you look at the comparison figures I included in my OP you will see that it has greater maximum distance than the FL-50 at the same focal length. It is not by a great amount for sure, but the Pany flash is also smaller and lighter than the FL-50, which is why I bought it. It also offers 5 stops of over and under compensation, as opposed to 3.

I'm not selling Panasonic flashes for a living, but posted this as I occasionally see people asking about smaller, more powerful flashes for m4/3's.

Whether one feels that the difference is worth the investment is a personal choice, but I posted the comparison images so people could see the size differences.

-- hide signature --

God Bless,
Greg
www.imagismphotos.com
www.pbase.com/daddyo

Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro
TheEye
TheEye Veteran Member • Posts: 4,760

daleeight wrote:

Dang, should I get my ebay selling FL-50R off the site and keep it?

You should keep that flash, since it's the only one of the bunch (along with the FL-36/36R) that has the extremely convenient flash power output adjustment dial.

I'm not sure how you are coming up with the 1 stop advantage for the FL-50.

All I can say is that I own both flashes and sat down today and compared them on the same camera, at the same focal lengths and ISO's, and the Panasonic shows a greater maximum flash range at all settings over the FL-50.

Unless Panasonic has programmed in faulty flash output readings, there is no way it is less powerful than the FL-50.

-- hide signature --

God Bless,
Greg
www.imagismphotos.com
www.pbase.com/daddyo

Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro

I fully agree with you about the flash compensation dial. If Olympus comes out with a good, fairly compact, high GN flash with a dedicated compensation dial, I will be the first one in line to purchase one.

-- hide signature --

God Bless,
Greg
www.imagismphotos.com
www.pbase.com/daddyo

Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro

daddyo wrote:

I'm not sure how you are coming up with the 1 stop advantage for the FL-50.

All I can say is that I own both flashes and sat down today and compared them on the same camera, at the same focal lengths and ISO's, and the Panasonic shows a greater maximum flash range at all settings over the FL-50.

Unless Panasonic has programmed in faulty flash output readings, there is no way it is less powerful than the FL-50.

You are 100% correct, I too wonder where he gets his figures from

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads