Which is the best replacement of Google Picasa?

Started Feb 14, 2016 | Discussions
SnowshoeLane Regular Member • Posts: 447
Re: Which is the best replacement of Google Picasa?

I prevented Picasa from connecting to the Internet long time ago. It still tries despite having auto update turned off, not being signed in to a Google account inside the program, and uninstalling the obnoxious Google Updater (got rid of Chrome, too). It is blocked from connecting in my firewall. Picasa is working fine.

As for Google photos--never signed up. Once they got rid of Picasaweb, I didn't trust them.

Picasa should continue to work locally. It remains of the easiest ways to look through  photo folders along with FastStone. Plus, you can use it with NIK.

I still use it for quick adjustments on photos I'm just sending in email after exporting. And I use the screenshot function all the time.

If you need a new copy, the ACDSee download page still had a copy a few months back.

SnowshoeLane's gear list:SnowshoeLane's gear list
Olympus SP-550 UZ Nikon Coolpix P7100 Fujifilm X-S1 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon D5600 +2 more
Clear Blue Sky Contributing Member • Posts: 572

I am now using Lightroom for Face Tagging but compared with Picasa it is simply awful! Nothing like as accurate and many are not even faces. Not even remotely.

Picasa can do a lot more than most people give it credit for.

Olympus SP-550 UZ Nikon Coolpix P7100 Fujifilm X-S1 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon D5600 +2 more
Brad Bohland
Brad Bohland Veteran Member • Posts: 6,325

SnowshoeLane wrote:

Picasa can do a lot more than most people give it credit for.

I still use it and I'm wondering how to install it on another computer.  Any suggestions?

I simply downloaded and installed it. I had to re scan millions of faces all again but hopefully worth it. Now figuring out how to write the face tags to the jpegs

If you have the install file, it should install fine. I always, always turn off auto updates and block it from connecting to the Internet with my firewall. (Picasa tries to connect every time you start it.)

I have no idea if it works on Windows 10--I am staying with Win 7.

If you don't have an install file you might be able to get it here:

http://www.oldversion.com/windows/picasa/

Brad Bohland
Brad Bohland Veteran Member • Posts: 6,325

SnowshoeLane wrote:

If you have the install file, it should install fine. I always, always turn off auto updates and block it from connecting to the Internet with my firewall. (Picasa tries to connect every time you start it.)

Thanks.

SnowshoeLane wrote:

Mine works with Win 10 BUT will not link to Google Earth for mapping. Also I do not seem able to get it to scan my A drive in Tools/FolderManager

Not sure it is related, but I recently discovered Google Earth only works with Google Chrome, which I don't use.

AnthonyL Veteran Member • Posts: 3,129

SnowshoeLane wrote:

Not sure it is related, but I recently discovered Google Earth only works with Google Chrome, which I don't use.

Which along with Picasa I refuse to update so my GE still works on my Firefox on my Windows XP - for the time being.

AnthonyL's gear list:AnthonyL's gear list
Canon EOS 700D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +5 more

I am also anti-updates! If it ain't broke....

photophile
photophile Forum Pro • Posts: 13,282

I still use Picasa!  I have tried some of the alternatives mentioned in these posts - and always returned to Picasa. Nothing else comes close to its simplicity, user friendliness and fast performance. I'll keep on using it for as long it recognises my JPEG/RAW file formats.

-- hide signature --

AH

photophile's gear list:photophile's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus C-750 UZ Olympus E-620 Olympus PEN E-PL6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more

And if you add the Picasa Starter code changes to it, to make the sliders start in the middle and go both directions, it works even better.

SnowshoeLane wrote:

And if you add the Picasa Starter code changes to it, to make the sliders start in the middle and go both directions, it works even better.

Picasa starter code?? What is that?

It is a whole page of info about using Picasa, plus a way to change the action of the sliders.

Here: https://sites.google.com/site/picasastartersite/other-tools/picasa-slider-centering

Very useful

photophile
photophile Forum Pro • Posts: 13,282

SnowshoeLane wrote:

It is a whole page of info about using Picasa, plus a way to change the action of the sliders.

Here: https://sites.google.com/site/picasastartersite/other-tools/picasa-slider-centering

Very useful

I had no idea this even existed! It changes everything. Picasa just got even better!!

Thank you!!

-- hide signature --

AH

photophile's gear list:photophile's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus C-750 UZ Olympus E-620 Olympus PEN E-PL6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more

Me too! Very much appreciated!

Re: Google Picasa and NIK

There is one other cool thing I figured out how to do with Picasa--using NIK plugins with it.

Well, I don't actually use them as plugins. This is how I do it.

The Google folder containing the NIK plugins in Programs contains an .exe file for each. I found the appropriate .exe file (32 or 64 bit) and created a shortcut on my desktop. (I put all these shortcuts into a folder for ease of use.)

In Picasa, after making my initial adjustments, I "Save a Copy," then in thumbnail view, I can drag that copy onto any of the NIK shortcuts and use the NIK "plugins" to further adjust my photo. Then click save.

You can see the thumbnail update in real time in Picasa. BUT..make sure to work on a copy--NIK will overwrite the file you are working on, so make sure to keep your actual original safe by working on a copy.

For many photos, this may be all the PP you need.

Have fun!

KKJohn
KKJohn Senior Member • Posts: 1,096

Unfortunately I don't have WIndows. Have to make do with a 5 year old iMac. To get Nik filters I import my Picasa JPEG files into a ver. 4 of Lightroom. I can use the Nik files there, mainly the B&W filters. Then export them back into Picasa. Seems to work okay.

KKJohn's gear list:KKJohn's gear list
Fujifilm X70 Fujifilm X-A1 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +2 more

My next computer will be a Mac. So Picasa works on a Mac? I suppose I should find a install file for the Mac and store it away somewhere for the future. Any ideas?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads