Which is the best replacement of Google Picasa?

Started Feb 14, 2016 | Discussions
smb marble New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Which is the best replacement of Google Picasa?

There is a list of photo organizers and features at Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_organizer#Notable_image_organizers

-- hide signature --

[url=http://smbmarble.com/yellow-sandstone/]Yellow Stone[/url]| [url=http://smbmarble.com/dark-green-onyx-marble/]dark green onyx[/url]| [url=http://smbmarble.com/light-green-onyx-slabs-and-tiles-collection/]light green onyx[/url]

KKJohn
KKJohn Senior Member • Posts: 1,095

Quizicat wrote:

I have the same problem with the disappearance of Picasa. The program got wiped from my computer (another bad story). I have my photos, but no way to do all the things that Picasa did. Storage, organization, manipulation, ease of use.

I was wondering if you ever found an answer to the replacement question. I am using a PC, so MAC stuff won't work (if it exists).

Google just wants to get you stuck in their system of Googleness (world domination). That is why they don't continue Picasa. I guess they could have kept it if they forced you to use their cloud. I want to avoid the cloud.

Thanks!

I still use Picasa, and haven't found anything better, and don't use the cloud. I store my photos on a WD external drive, plus my Mac drive. I try to keep backups of all my photos so I have several external drives in case one goes kaput (which WD tends to do sometimes). I'm just hoping I can keep using Picasa. Have you tried downloading it again? I think you should be able to. I'm the same, don't want to get involved in the cloud. I use a Mac tho Picasa can be used for both platforms. There are a few programs for editing for the PC but none I have found that combine editing and organization like Picasa.

I just googled "Picasa download for WIndows" and there came up several sites for the PC. Give it a try. Be careful because they want to redirect you to google photos. Just ignore them and download Picasa. Hope it works for you. Good luck.

KKJohn's gear list:KKJohn's gear list
Fujifilm X70 Fujifilm X-A1 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +2 more
Quizicat New Member • Posts: 2

Hi- Thanks for the reply. I am not having any luck finding a site to download the program. They all send me to some other program download. Do you remember which site you got yours from?

Thanks again.

Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 26,744

Quizicat wrote:

Hi- Thanks for the reply. I am not having any luck finding a site to download the program. They all send me to some other program download. Do you remember which site you got yours from?

Thanks again.

Really?

AnthonyL Veteran Member • Posts: 3,125

Mark B. wrote:

Quizicat wrote:

Thanks again.

Really?

I wouldn't trust half of those sites. Need to wear fully disinfected armour suit first.

However I do believe oldapps is reputable:

http://www.oldapps.com/picasa.php

AnthonyL's gear list:AnthonyL's gear list
Canon EOS 700D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +5 more
KKJohn

I got my copy several years ago so don't know what is good now, especially since Google cancelled Picasa. Sorry.

Fujifilm X70 Fujifilm X-A1 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +2 more
Cameronjpu New Member • Posts: 9

I archived a copy of the installer for myself when the discontinued it. I keep it on my dropbox to make access easy. Here is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dp0c8k75i5wy0yx/picasa.exe?dl=0

Landon0 New Member • Posts: 4

Hi, yeah, just like what you said, there are some kinds of free Picasa alternative . They even allow us to edit photos by adding text, rectangle, arrow, etc. It's really amazing for me! Maybe you should go and have try. Hope my answer can bring you a new experience for viewing images.

Clear Blue Sky Contributing Member • Posts: 572

Image viewers are only one part of Picasa. In my opinion, where Picasa excels is in Face tagging and Geo tagging. This is what I am interested in.

criscokkat Junior Member • Posts: 29

Clear Blue Sky wrote:

Image viewers are only one part of Picasa. In my opinion, where Picasa excels is in Face tagging and Geo tagging. This is what I am interested in.

This is the thing that really irritates me with Lightroom CC. The 9.95 a month plan for Lightroom CC with 1tb of storage should be exactly up your alley. It checks all the boxes other than not being free - but if you have a lot of pictures, it's totally worth the price.

Except that for some insane reason they did not port over the geotagging or facetagging modules to Lightroom CC, even though it's designed for the casual user. Hopefully by the time lightroom CC 2.0 is out that will be the case. The 1.1 version already added brought back a few missing features such as curves support.

criscokkat wrote:

Clear Blue Sky wrote:

This is the thing that really irritates me with Lightroom CC. The 9.95 a month plan for Lightroom CC with 1tb of storage should be exactly up your alley. It checks all the boxes other than not being free - but if you have a lot of pictures, it's totally worth the price.

Except that for some insane reason they did not port over the geotagging or facetagging modules to Lightroom CC, even though it's designed for the casual user. Hopefully by the time lightroom CC 2.0 is out that will be the case. The 1.1 version already added brought back a few missing features such as curves support.

I'd like to think I'm not paranoid but at times one wonders if pressures are being put on software imaging companies from organisations that would prefer joe public didn't have powerful facial recognition features readily available.  Though I must admit when Picasa came out with it as a freebie all those years ago I was quite astounded and delight and keep an old "un"-updated version on my computer.

Canon EOS 700D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +5 more
omairkha New Member • Posts: 5

So my Picasa 3.9 app just stopped working. Error retrieving album list and Error uploading. I tried signing in and out of my google account. Anyone else having this issue or is it just me? 

puttin
puttin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,644

omairkha wrote:

So my Picasa 3.9 app just stopped working. Error retrieving album list and Error uploading. I tried signing in and out of my google account. Anyone else having this issue or is it just me?

Just checked mine and it's ok

puttin's gear list:puttin's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Canon G9 X II Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +17 more
KKJohn

puttin wrote:

omairkha wrote:

Just checked mine and it's ok

Yes, my Picasa is still working, tho you've got me worried now. I use it with my iMac which seems to be OK. I have heard that it can still be downloaded, even tho Google doesn't support it any more. Maybe give that a try.

Ok, bad news everyone, it's official, Picasa Desktop app will no longer work with online functions (uploading, downloading, album creation, etc). It's sad sad day. RIP Picasa, you will be greatly missed.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/picasa/brvRowxSDcM

omairkha wrote:

Ok, bad news everyone, it's official, Picasa Desktop app will no longer work with online functions (uploading, downloading, album creation, etc). It's sad sad day. RIP Picasa, you will be greatly missed.

How so perverse to cripple something that was working so well.  What other Evil can we trust Google to carry out?  Cripple your email, remove your Google Drive data?  There's something uncontrollable about the Cloud that still leaves me relying on my own disk data and emailing (not Gmail) attachments.  Canon give a few Gb of space for photos which can be password protected but again for how long?

But Picasa, with its face recognition and simple rt-click to add favourites to a synced on-line album - I agree with your sentiments and wonder what is the ulterior motive.

zoomCat New Member • Posts: 19

All your photo are belong to us.

zoomCat's gear list:zoomCat's gear list
Nikon D40 Nikon D600 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm F1.4G +5 more
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 26,744

omairkha wrote:

This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Mark B. wrote:

This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

It's not a surprise, but what is a surprise that they gave no warning when it was promised that the app would continue to function as it does.

KKJohn

omairkha wrote:

A great April fool's joke, eh!!

However, my  Picasa on my iMac still works and I will continue to use it for simple editing and organizing my photos into albums. I will have to find a new way to send albums to friends, tho have made some interesting slideshows in iphoto and on youtube that seem to work which I can then send to friends and family. I don't like iphoto for my editing or organizing but the slideshow app seems to work fine. I don't use google photos or sync or google cloud, so hopefully I won't be impacted too much. But famous last words. Sure Google is planning something more dastardly as we speak!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads