A6300 Low light focus

Started Feb 11, 2016 | Discussions
mlapaglia
mlapaglia Forum Member • Posts: 79
A6300 Low light focus

Can anyone speculate if the A6300's low light autofocus improve over the a6000? I shoot a lot in dimly lit environments where the A6000 has trouble focusing.

mlapaglia's gear list:mlapaglia's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a6300 Sony a7 III Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +7 more
Sony a6000 Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
rlyons
rlyons Senior Member • Posts: 2,299
Re: A6300 Low light focus

mlapaglia wrote:

Can anyone speculate if the A6300's low light autofocus improve over the a6000? I shoot a lot in dimly lit environments where the A6000 has trouble focusing.

According to the specs it's good to -1EV (vs 0EV for the a6000). So it should be better. Nobody has one yet to test though, which is always the real tell.

rlyons's gear list:rlyons's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 DN | A +6 more
fzrTom Senior Member • Posts: 2,302

But the AF perf in low light env depends on the lens used because usualy AF is done full open. So using a F1.4 lens even stoped at F2.8 is better than to use a F2.8 lens at F2.8. Not sure about how works E mount camera on this point but it is the case for every camera I have used since now.

-- hide signature --

Franck

fzrTom's gear list:fzrTom's gear list
Sony a7S Sony 50mm F1.4 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD +3 more
zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 34,164

It seems to be rated slightly better than the A6000.  However, low light focus depends on so many variables, and if you're having struggles with the A6000 it could be the lens, could be the focus mode, could be your technique, could be the contrast-level of the subject you are shooting, and so on.  Focusing in low light can be significantly improved if you use the right settings, have some practice in how and what to focus on and what to look for in the scene to achieve focus, and what lens you use.  I shoot quite regularly in very low light situations and haven't had any difficulty with the A6000 AF - in fact, it's been notably better than my NEX-3 or NEX-5N were, and just a little bit behind my DSLR in focus acquisition speed but equal in accuracy.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony a6600 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +21 more
AustinMN Contributing Member • Posts: 674

fzrTom wrote:

But the AF perf in low light env depends on the lens used because usualy AF is done full open. So using a F1.4 lens even stoped at F2.8 is better than to use a F2.8 lens at F2.8. Not sure about how works E mount camera on this point but it is the case for every camera I have used since now.

The mirrirless world is different in this regard.  Even my old manual-focus film cameras allowed me to focus and compose wide open, then stopped down to the taking aperture when the shutter button was pressed.  But my Sony NEX-6 usually auto-focuses with the Kit lens (which I almost never use) at the taking aperture.

There may be modes where it behaves differently.  I don't really care, as I now use adapted legacy lenses almost exclusively.

-- hide signature --

I'm not interested in image quality. I'm interested in quality images.
I sometimes post from the office. Company policy requires that I disclose my real name: Tom Cooper
I give out a lot more "Likes" than praise. If I praise one of your photos, consider it a rare event.

AustinMN's gear list:AustinMN's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +9 more
fzrTom Senior Member • Posts: 2,302

AustinMN wrote:

fzrTom wrote:

The mirrirless world is different in this regard. Even my old manual-focus film cameras allowed me to focus and compose wide open, then stopped down to the taking aperture when the shutter button was pressed. But my Sony NEX-6 usually auto-focuses with the Kit lens (which I almost never use) at the taking aperture.

There may be modes where it behaves differently. I don't really care, as I now use adapted legacy lenses almost exclusively.

You may be right, but I have read something a bit different :

• In AFS mode AF is done wide open.
  • In AFC mode AF is done with the desired aperture.

But I'm not sure because I havent an A6000.

Anyway if you are right, that means that in E mount the main factor is the aperture selected and not the camera used : fe in this case if you select an aperture of F2 the AF cells will get 4 times more light than with an aperture fo F4. And that means that the low light AF perf cant be compared with a DSLR or a transluscent mirror camera because with these camera the AF perf do not depend on the selected aperture. So a -2 EV mirrorless camera should behave like a 0 EV camera if it is not used wide open.

-- hide signature --

Franck

fzrTom's gear list:fzrTom's gear list
Sony a7S Sony 50mm F1.4 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD +3 more
wb2trf Veteran Member • Posts: 3,367
Yes, people can speculate. No one knows.

mlapaglia wrote:

Can anyone speculate if the A6300's low light autofocus improve over the a6000? I shoot a lot in dimly lit environments where the A6000 has trouble focusing.

As you see already, you can engender speculation. You can't get answers yet.

My experience is that I can get the A6000 to focus quickly down to EV2 with decent subject contrast, (about ISO 12000, 1/40, f2.5 maybe without looking it up) which is darker than I ever want to shoot, but not darker than some people shoot in.

As for the A6300 I'd be surprised if did better than get 1 f stop lower, but, since some cameras do,it isn't impossible. We just need to wait and see.

OFremen Regular Member • Posts: 447

I don't think the lens used matters so much here though since the poster is asking about how it compares to the A6000. So one would think that you'd use the same lens when comparing the two cameras.

I'm very excited to hear that the A6300 is rated at -1 EV for focus vs the 0 EV of the A6000...that could be a huge difference in real world conditions...but I have yet to find any reviews that talk about that!!

If the A6000 will focus in low light as well as the A7II or at least close to it...then I think it would be a neat backup camera to my A7II.

OFremen's gear list:OFremen's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a6000 Sony a7 III Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Samyang 135mm F2.0 +1 more
PC Wheeler
PC Wheeler Forum Pro • Posts: 17,902

OFremen wrote:

If the A6000 will focus in low light as well as the A7II or at least close to it...then I think it would be a neat backup camera to my A7II.

You should get an A7R II as back up to your A7 II

-- hide signature --

Phil

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 IV
goactive Senior Member • Posts: 2,018

If the a6300 is -1EV (vs 0EV for the a6000) that is not much of a improvement VS other cameras..

Looking at the high iso tests so far that is not looking very good at all looks the same as the a6000 for noise.

So we get faster better focus and 4K video i hope the a6000 focus problems are fixed that will be the first thing i test when mine comes in. I can reproduce it every time i am shooting.

goactive's gear list:goactive's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +21 more
Jefftan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,407

fzrTom wrote:

Can someone confirm this?

isn't a lens depend on aperture used not on maximum aperture?

So in my understanding F1.4 lens even stopeed at F2.8 is the same as using a F2.8 lens at F2.8

OpticsEngineer Veteran Member • Posts: 7,110

"A6300 is rated at -1 EV for focus vs the 0 EV of the A6000."

Yes, but what we would like to know is at what EV value the AF method changes over from PDAF to CDAF.      It is the CDAF in low light that is slow.    PDAF is very fast, but it only works in good light.

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon PowerShot G7 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Pentax *ist D +27 more
lhkjacky Senior Member • Posts: 2,945

rlyons wrote:

mlapaglia wrote:

According to the specs it's good to -1EV (vs 0EV for the a6000).
So it should be better. Nobody has one yet to test though, which is always the real tell.

You should read the spec. more carefully.

A6300 AF sensitivity is tested with F2.0 lens.

While A6000 AF sensitivity is tested with F2.8 lens.

Some other company use F1.4 lens.

lhkjacky's gear list:lhkjacky's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD Ricoh GR +6 more
OFremen Regular Member • Posts: 447

So I've read that the A7 series in AF-S mode will open the aperture up for focusing purposes and then close it down to the selected aperture to take the actual shot.  
Does anyone know if the A6x series does that too?

OFremen's gear list:OFremen's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a6000 Sony a7 III Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Samyang 135mm F2.0 +1 more
pb21
pb21 Regular Member • Posts: 136

lhkjacky wrote:

rlyons wrote:

mlapaglia wrote:

So it should be better. Nobody has one yet to test though, which is always the real tell.

So it's exactly the same then, as would EV-2 with an F1.4 lens?

pb21's gear list:pb21's gear list
Nikon D7000 NEX5R Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +2 more
teddoman
teddoman Senior Member • Posts: 2,830

pb21 wrote:

lhkjacky wrote:

rlyons wrote:

mlapaglia wrote:

So it's exactly the same then, as would EV-2 with an F1.4 lens?

Looks like it.

And do we know what other manufacturer EV ratings are calculated from?

All those EV -4 cameras?

-- hide signature --

Ted
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tedchang/
C&C is encouraged, I'm always learning

teddoman's gear list:teddoman's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7C Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 50mm F2 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Sony FE 35mm F1.4 +7 more
jbancroft1957 Contributing Member • Posts: 912

Hi All

Has anyone compared the A6300 to the A6000 yet?

John

pb21
pb21 Regular Member • Posts: 136

jbancroft1957 wrote:

Hi All

Has anyone compared the A6300 to the A6000 yet?

John

Acoording to Sony it's exactly the same.

pb21's gear list:pb21's gear list
Nikon D7000 NEX5R Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +2 more
goactive Senior Member • Posts: 2,018

I have both now.

Using the same lens on both in low light the a6300 will focus down lower on things the a6000 can no longer focus on but it not but much but is a little better.

High iso is now smoother looking but i would not say it is better in fact shooting jpg the a6300 smoothing makes the image look less sharp and less detailed i kind of still like the a6000 version better.

Some better things i see

Not sure if i never had my a6000 setup for it if it had it but the a6300 after you take a shot you can press the back top button and it will show you a 100% zoom in of your image i am liking that. Before i have to see the full image and then push the button to zoom in so this is faster now.

Focus speed so far for anything i have shot i do not see any focus speed difference if it is it is small but i have not shot any sports.

Raw file image quality

The raw files are editing a lot better then the a6000 raw files. They seem to have more latude the a6000 i could never push to much contrast before the black would block up but now i can push as much contrast as my Nikon cameras and edit the a6300 using the same custom lightroom presets as i use on my Nikon.

Sharpness is good but my a6000 was also good i may be using just a little less sharpness in lightroom now VS the a6000 it is hard to say.

Color and White balance on the a6300 seems to be a lot different then the a6000 i like the a6000 better for this with the a6300 i have got a lot of way off WB shots i have never got with the a6000. sometimes taking 4 shots on the same thing and getting a different WB look on each shot. Also i now see more yellow orange in skin tones then the a6000 using the same lens shooting raw i am now needing to fix in lightroom that i never needed to fix with a6000 images. Like they are trying to worm up skin tones a little.

Shooting with it the new view finder at first i did not see much of a difference but now after shooting with it a lot more i do see it is more detailed and sharper somewhat.

Another good thing is the new way you can set your focus point and move it around that is much much more easy now.

I wish they added a front dial at this price range most every other camera on the market has this also low light down to -1 is not very good other cameras in this price range and less go down to -2

End result image quality after editing is very good but really not much better then the a6000 you are not going to see much if any difference if you use the same lens and shot the same thing with both the a6000 and the a6300 cameras. Compared to other brand cameras the a6300 produces no better images at all in fact in low light and high ISO many other camera produce cleaner images then the a6300 and focus much better then the a6300 even cameras that cost much less do to the focusing down to -2 they can do and cleaner iso. The Sonys great feature is the live view finder thats is really about it.

Whats next

I see two possible things that will happen this year or next.

One Sony comes out with a new 20 or 24MP a7III FF and a A7000 cropped camera that can focus like a newer Nikon and in low light down to -4 and it really works not just on paper and a lot of Nikon and Canon used start taking a harder look and making a move.

Or

Two Nikon comes out with a pro level FF and Cropped camera with live viewfinder and can use their great focus system in it and their great high iso cleen images in it at a good price point. Then no Nikon shooters will ever think of moving to Sony and more Canon shooters will more to Nikon and Sony will be left with the consumer market. Nikon has been testing a new FF mirrorless camera so we should see it out maybe this year maybe a few months after all the first sales of the D500 and D5 start to slow down.

Nikon all ready has a very good small mirrorless camera with very good touch screen many Sony users do not know about it is called the Nikon 1 J5 i had it the back touch screen is what i was expecting the a6300 to have as it is a great feature to shoot with. Nikon is using it now on the new Nikon D500 The 1 J5 uses its own lens line up but you can also use any Nikon lens with a adptor opening up a huge amount of lens and with no light loss like using the Sony adptor. The 1 J5 is a smaller chip and is a smaller camera then the a6000 and a6300 but the images it produces are very very good and the focus is as good or better then the a6300 and much better in low light. it is also a 24MP camera. If Nikon can take what they have in the 1 J5 and put it into a larger body the size of the old D40 or the a6300 with APS-C chip like from the D7200 or the new D500 it would all ready be a better camera then the a6300 and many other Sony cameras. So i see this coming sooner then Sony matching the Nikon focus system and iso. At that point many Sony users may be switching to Nikon just for the better lens line up.

goactive's gear list:goactive's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +21 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads