Neewer.. Whats the deal?

Started Feb 9, 2016 | Questions
TheGreatfulBread Regular Member • Posts: 205
Neewer.. Whats the deal?

Neewer items have been showing up in my amazon feed list when I look at camera items.  I've never heard of this company before but the reviews on most of their flashes (anyways) seem to be positive.  Who are they and can anyone vouch?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
chuxter Forum Pro • Posts: 21,714
Re: Neewer.. Whats the deal?

TheGreatfulBread wrote:

Neewer items have been showing up in my amazon feed list when I look at camera items. I've never heard of this company before but the reviews on most of their flashes (anyways) seem to be positive. Who are they and can anyone vouch?

My impression is that they market a lot of relatively cheap Chinese products.

chuxter's gear list:chuxter's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro (F004) Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +2 more
barrym1966 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,517

TheGreatfulBread wrote:

Neewer items have been showing up in my amazon feed list when I look at camera items. I've never heard of this company before but the reviews on most of their flashes (anyways) seem to be positive. Who are they and can anyone vouch?

I Vouch for neewer flashes, I have 4 of them I use for weddings, as good as any Nikon flashes

I have 2 x 660ii 1x600iii and a 565EX

All work fantasically, the only gripe I have with them is when the batteries are low in a dark reception room you wont know they are low until the flash stops working (as I recently found out during bestman speech) luckilly I was using a D3s and the camera compensated with High iso setting which I cleared up in post!

moral of the story, always change your flash batteries when you get a 5 min downtime like wedding lunch/dinner!

I also have the neewer ring flash but dont really use this

As far as I can tell they are exactly the same as the yonguhu ones or however you spell it just with a different name on them

barrym1966's gear list:barrym1966's gear list
Sony a7R Sony a99 II Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +3 more
barrym1966 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,517

barrym1966 wrote:

TheGreatfulBread wrote:

I Vouch for neewer flashes, I have 4 of them I use for weddings, as good as any Nikon flashes

I have 2 x 660ii 1x600iii and a 565EX

All work fantasically, the only gripe I have with them is when the batteries are low in a dark reception room you wont know they are low until the flash stops working (as I recently found out during bestman speech) luckilly I was using a D3s and the camera compensated with High iso setting which I cleared up in post!

moral of the story, always change your flash batteries when you get a 5 min downtime like wedding lunch/dinner!

I also have the neewer ring flash but dont really use this

As far as I can tell they are exactly the same as the yonguhu ones or however you spell it just with a different name on them

I wouldnt think twice about buying more neewer flashes. Just be careful which model you get some can be master or slave like the 660ii and iii and others like the 565ex can only be slave.

Theres some good kits on amazon that give you the wireless triggers too which have jumpers on them so you can set them in groups (much like how the pocket wizard works)

barrym1966's gear list:barrym1966's gear list
Sony a7R Sony a99 II Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +3 more
SoCalWill
SoCalWill Veteran Member • Posts: 6,299

There's lots of little Chinese companies that sell miscellany that have gotten big thanks to Amazon; Neewer, Anker, RavPower, etc. Lots of items that would have been in a corner somewhere in Radio Shack/Best Buy, but now get attention because of the rating system.

SoCalWill's gear list:SoCalWill's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D810 Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Apple iPhone XS Max
KCook
KCook Forum Pro • Posts: 19,553

gripe I have with them is when the batteries are low in a dark reception room you wont know they are low until the flash stops working

Heh!  That sounds exactly like my Yongnuo flash.

So buy your Neewer from an outfit that makes returns easy.  Another low budget brand to consider is Godox.

Kelly Cook

KCook's gear list:KCook's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic G85
phodara New Member • Posts: 5

I bought a Neewer Vision 4 studio strobe set from Amazon.  One of the lights was open but both worked well.  The construction looked good and they were cheap.  But when I called their U.S. support phone number an answering machine picked up and I left a message regarding a technical issue (one unit had a rattle),  I left my name and phone number. I did this for 6 days leaving 6 messages. I also went to their support web portal and filled out a support form.

Three weeks later and I have yet to receive a phone call or email from Neewer. I complained to Amazon and returned the items.  One thing that is not clear on their support agreement is were to send the units for repair, it appears to be China with the customer paying shipping both ways. But since you can't call or correspond with the support department I would not trust sending a unit half way around the world and hoping to ever see it again.

Buyer beware don't expect any service or warranty on these units.

FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 14,696

KCook wrote:

gripe I have with them is when the batteries are low in a dark reception room you wont know they are low until the flash stops working

Heh! That sounds exactly like my Yongnuo flash.

So buy your Neewer from an outfit that makes returns easy. Another low budget brand to consider is Godox.

Kelly Cook

Some of the Neewer stuff is the same as Godox, just a different brand name on it.

MinAZ
MinAZ Veteran Member • Posts: 5,653

They sell bargain bottom priced relatively lower-tech equipment. Use them when price is the major factor and not reliability.

For example, I often buy accessories such as shoot-through umbrellas and light stands from them. They usually work, but when they don't, I don't act all surprised because I know the price I paid.

They are great if you have the mindset of "hey this flash cost me $30, it may work for a day, a year, or it may not work." If it doesn't you can of course return through Amazon. You can also use them as disposable gear in high-risk situations - if it breaks, it breaks.

I should mention, although, almost always their stuff works, they are just not the highest quality.

HappyCampers Forum Member • Posts: 84

Zombie thread from 2016 . . . ?!

IMO Amazon reviews are worthless these days. (I used to be a top 100 Amazon reviewer, then someone marked every one of my reviews as bad and my ranking plummeted, presumably to be replaced by some review farmer out there. Amazon didnt care)

And I am not that keen to support generic products with "created" branding that use the marketplace in this way - often these are cheap copies of decent kit. And they are pushing decent kit makers out of business because many consumers are willing to buy tat with no support and then throw it away if it breaks - very environmentally friendly.

When they first came to market these things were 1/10 or less the cost of established names like Bowens (great kit, now bust). As the competition has failed the prices have gone up.

Example? - Neewer et al softboxes were really cheap a few year ago, now there is less competition the prices have gone up to 3x or 4x

rant over . . .

GPops
GPops New Member • Posts: 3

Strangely enough, my Neewer 750ii declares itself to be a Nikon SB900 in the photo metadata.

It has similar properties, too - just a different button layout.

Works great, as does the FC-16 remote kit it came with.

GPops's gear list:GPops's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads