Neewer.. Whats the deal?

Started Feb 9, 2016 | Questions
TheGreatfulBread Regular Member • Posts: 205
Neewer.. Whats the deal?

Neewer items have been showing up in my amazon feed list when I look at camera items.  I've never heard of this company before but the reviews on most of their flashes (anyways) seem to be positive.  Who are they and can anyone vouch?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
chuxter Forum Pro • Posts: 21,714
Re: Neewer.. Whats the deal?

TheGreatfulBread wrote:

Neewer items have been showing up in my amazon feed list when I look at camera items. I've never heard of this company before but the reviews on most of their flashes (anyways) seem to be positive. Who are they and can anyone vouch?

My impression is that they market a lot of relatively cheap Chinese products.

chuxter's gear list:chuxter's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro (F004) Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +2 more
barrym1966 Senior Member • Posts: 3,517

TheGreatfulBread wrote:

Neewer items have been showing up in my amazon feed list when I look at camera items. I've never heard of this company before but the reviews on most of their flashes (anyways) seem to be positive. Who are they and can anyone vouch?

I Vouch for neewer flashes, I have 4 of them I use for weddings, as good as any Nikon flashes

I have 2 x 660ii 1x600iii and a 565EX

All work fantasically, the only gripe I have with them is when the batteries are low in a dark reception room you wont know they are low until the flash stops working (as I recently found out during bestman speech) luckilly I was using a D3s and the camera compensated with High iso setting which I cleared up in post!

moral of the story, always change your flash batteries when you get a 5 min downtime like wedding lunch/dinner!

I also have the neewer ring flash but dont really use this

As far as I can tell they are exactly the same as the yonguhu ones or however you spell it just with a different name on them

barrym1966's gear list:barrym1966's gear list
Sony a7R Sony a99 II Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +3 more
barrym1966 Senior Member • Posts: 3,517

barrym1966 wrote:

TheGreatfulBread wrote:

I Vouch for neewer flashes, I have 4 of them I use for weddings, as good as any Nikon flashes

I have 2 x 660ii 1x600iii and a 565EX

All work fantasically, the only gripe I have with them is when the batteries are low in a dark reception room you wont know they are low until the flash stops working (as I recently found out during bestman speech) luckilly I was using a D3s and the camera compensated with High iso setting which I cleared up in post!

moral of the story, always change your flash batteries when you get a 5 min downtime like wedding lunch/dinner!

I also have the neewer ring flash but dont really use this

As far as I can tell they are exactly the same as the yonguhu ones or however you spell it just with a different name on them

I wouldnt think twice about buying more neewer flashes. Just be careful which model you get some can be master or slave like the 660ii and iii and others like the 565ex can only be slave.

Theres some good kits on amazon that give you the wireless triggers too which have jumpers on them so you can set them in groups (much like how the pocket wizard works)

barrym1966's gear list:barrym1966's gear list
Sony a7R Sony a99 II Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +3 more
SoCalWill
SoCalWill Senior Member • Posts: 6,299

There's lots of little Chinese companies that sell miscellany that have gotten big thanks to Amazon; Neewer, Anker, RavPower, etc. Lots of items that would have been in a corner somewhere in Radio Shack/Best Buy, but now get attention because of the rating system.

SoCalWill's gear list:SoCalWill's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D810 Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Apple iPhone XS Max
KCook
KCook Forum Pro • Posts: 16,933

gripe I have with them is when the batteries are low in a dark reception room you wont know they are low until the flash stops working

Heh!  That sounds exactly like my Yongnuo flash.

So buy your Neewer from an outfit that makes returns easy.  Another low budget brand to consider is Godox.

Kelly Cook

KCook's gear list:KCook's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Olympus PEN E-P5
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads