Aurora HDR compared to Photomatix, which to go with considering I have Lightroom?

Started Feb 4, 2016 | Discussions
Brian D3300 Senior Member • Posts: 1,599
Aurora HDR compared to Photomatix, which to go with considering I have Lightroom?

Is there a breakdown or a review that compares the two?  What would be best to compliment  Lightroom?

Brian D3300's gear list:Brian D3300's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G +2 more
Pictus
Pictus Veteran Member • Posts: 6,315
Re: Aurora HDR compared to Photomatix, which to go with considering I have Lightroom?
edispics
edispics Veteran Member • Posts: 3,582
Re: Aurora HDR compared to Photomatix, which to go with considering I have Lightroom?

Oloneo Photo Engine:

http://www.oloneo.com/en/page/products/photoengine.html

Is very good.

My order or preference currently:

1. LR 6.4 Photo Merge to HDR - creates a dng file with tremendous potential

2. Oloneo - fast, easy, good batch facilities, restrained results

3. Photomatix - produces some effects the other two above do not

4.NIK HDR Effex - similar to Photomatix in that it is useful in special cases, easier to use than Photomatix.

edispics's gear list:edispics's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Nikon D70 Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Sony Alpha NEX-3N +22 more
OP Brian D3300 Senior Member • Posts: 1,599

Thank you. I will look into it.

Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G +2 more

Thank you.  I forgot to mention I have a 2008 iMac so Oloneo is not an option based on what there site says.   I appreciate your input.

Reilly Diefenbach
Reilly Diefenbach Forum Pro • Posts: 12,671

Download the trials and see which one floats your boat.  I haven't used my Photomatix since LR added HDR, giving superb (natural) results with huge latitude.

Reilly Diefenbach's gear list:Reilly Diefenbach's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850
AlinaMacphun
AlinaMacphun New Member • Posts: 21

Hi Brian,

Our Aurora HDR Pro can do much more than Photomatix or any other popular HDR software!
Drop us a message at support@aurorahdr.comand we'll send you the side-by-side comparison of Aurora and other popular HDR software. You'll feel the difference, I promise

BTW, you're welcome to download free trial from here: http://aurorahdr.com

Alina from Macphun

edispics
edispics Veteran Member • Posts: 3,582
Currently Mac only n/t

No text.

edispics's gear list:edispics's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Nikon D70 Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Sony Alpha NEX-3N +22 more

Thank you, Alina.  I will give the trial a go.

I do have an older iMac so I should be fine.

RussC
RussC Regular Member • Posts: 302

Have you considered upgrading to L/R 6? The HDR function gives excellent, natural looking results, retains RAW functionality, and doesn't require round-tripping. A L/R 6 bonus would be the Panorama function, which also works extremely well.

RussC

RussC's gear list:RussC's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic FZ1000 +3 more
countrybutterfly
countrybutterfly Contributing Member • Posts: 660

Brian D3300 wrote:

Is there a breakdown or a review that compares the two? What would be best to compliment Lightroom?

Landcape or Real Estate?

countrybutterfly
countrybutterfly Contributing Member • Posts: 660

AlinaMacphun wrote:

Hi Brian,

Our Aurora HDR Pro can do much more than Photomatix or any other popular HDR software!
Drop us a message at support@aurorahdr.comand we'll send you the side-by-side comparison of Aurora and other popular HDR software. You'll feel the difference, I promise

BTW, you're welcome to download free trial from here: http://aurorahdr.com

Alina from Macphun

Can it do batch?

countrybutterfly wrote:

Brian D3300 wrote:

Is there a breakdown or a review that compares the two? What would be best to compliment Lightroom?

Landcape or Real Estate?

Some of each.   I have not had time do take any more pictures but when I do I will give that trial ago.  I can always fall back on the HDR in LR.

JLGF1
JLGF1 Regular Member • Posts: 424

Pictus wrote:

SNS-HDR http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/56794755

I would agree...except the OP is a Mac user.

JLGF1's gear list:JLGF1's gear list
Canon G9 X Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS
Ernie Misner
Ernie Misner Veteran Member • Posts: 4,348

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

Download the trials and see which one floats your boat. I haven't used my Photomatix since LR added HDR, giving superb (natural) results with huge latitude.

Right on.   Also the need for HDR has not been so great with high DR sensors like my D810, etc.

-- hide signature --

Ernie Misner
http://www.flickr.com/photos/erniemisner/
"Being in nature allows the prefrontal cortex, the brain’s command center, to rest and recover, like an overused muscle." - David Strayer

Ernie Misner's gear list:Ernie Misner's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads