Use of Canon EF lenses on Panasonic G7

Started Jan 31, 2016 | Discussions
scotview New Member • Posts: 6
Use of Canon EF lenses on Panasonic G7

Hi,

If a Canon ef lens is connected to a Panasonic G7 using a dumb adaptor ie no electrical connection, will it still be possible to use the manual focus ring on the lens to obtain focus (using camera focus peaking). Additionally will the zoom ring on zoom lenses also function without power to the lens.

My query relates to lenses with longer focal lengths.

I hope you understand my question and can help.

Many thanks in advance

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 9,509
Re: Use of Canon EF lenses on Panasonic G7

scotview wrote:

Hi,

If a Canon ef lens is connected to a Panasonic G7 using a dumb adaptor ie no electrical connection, will it still be possible to use the manual focus ring on the lens to obtain focus (using camera focus peaking). Additionally will the zoom ring on zoom lenses also function without power to the lens.

My query relates to lenses with longer focal lengths.

I hope you understand my question and can help.

Many thanks in advance

No.

Canon lenses use electronic communication for aperture and focus (EF = Electronic Focus).

The manual focus TS-E lenses need electronic communication for aperture but they do focus at least.

If any Canon lens does have fully mechanical focus and aperture (maybe some third party manual focus lenses), then they might be ok with a dumb adapter.

Metabones and Kipon both make smart type adapters that allow EF lenses to work on M4/ cameras ....some of them are pretty much native in operation for some camera/adapter/lens combinations.

I like the Kipon adapter I have with a few different lenses.

I have a dumb Lens Turbo focal reducer and it is not so good (it would be if I could control aperture..... and focus with my AF EF lenses).

MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 45,075
Re: Use of Canon EF lenses on Panasonic G7

Quite a lot of EF lenses have normal focus rings but others such as the 85/1.2 and 50/1.2 focus by wire and need communication with the camera for focus as well as the aperture control which needs communication for all their EF lenses.  There are possibly others which are focus by wire and  therefore unable to be used on a dumb adapter.  Otherwise EF lenses shoot wide open on dumb adapters.

I agree with Neil that dumb adapters are almost a complete waste of time for EF lenses and that electronic adapters are so much better that they are really the only way to go.

I use Metabones EF to M4/3 adapters and am very happy with the fact that they provide near oem perfomance on most EF lenses.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads