D5500 firmware update aparently affected a Sigma lens focus ability

Started Jan 28, 2016 | Discussions
John Schulte Regular Member • Posts: 433
D5500 firmware update aparently affected a Sigma lens focus ability

All,

I moved from D750 to D5500. With new commitment from Nikon towards DX, decided to move back. Smaller all around.
When D5500 new, of course took test shots with all my lenses as I know there is no micro adj on D5500.
All worked perfectly more or less- maybe the focus on some not dead on, but within reason.
Ok so far.
This morning I updated firmware in camera to 1.01 the lens firmware remains at 2.009
Now, all Nikon lenses work but the one Sigma lens I have will not AF at all any longer. (Sigma EX 85 f1.4 DG HSM). Yup, the AF/M switch is in the AF position and tried going back and forth and remounting the lens.

I kept the Sigma from the FF as it is a very sweet lens. Razor sharp.

It seems the firmware cut out the ability of the Sigma to autofocus. On the info screen, the AF selector and AF/MF are greyed out.It is now a MF focus lens only- turning the focus ring does give in-focus indication so can be used that way.

Anybody else seen this? Perhaps I missed something but don't think so  I looked back to pre-firmware change and see that I used the Sigma 85- worked AF no problem. Now it does not.

It can be one of two possibilities; 1- lens is suddenly not working, or 2- firmware update knocked it out.

I need to try on a friends Nikon to test #1, but strongly suspect #2.

anybody else experience anything similar?

cheers,

John

John Schulte's gear list:John Schulte's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR
Nikon D5500 Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ofer82 Regular Member • Posts: 110
Re: D5500 firmware update aparently affected a Sigma lens focus ability
 Ofer82's gear list:Ofer82's gear list
Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM
tweekie1955 New Member • Posts: 3

I have 2 sigma lenses a 50-150 2.8 and an 18- 50 2.8-4.5

neither work after the 1.01 upgrade does anyone have a copy of the 1.00 firmware

to try and downgrade

Pvuong Regular Member • Posts: 315

My Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 Art. lens is working fine after updated firmware of the D5500.

Pvuong's gear list:Pvuong's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sigma dp0 Quattro Sigma dp3 Quattro Sony RX10 IV Sony a7R II +5 more
(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 307

John Schulte wrote:

All,

I moved from D750 to D5500. With new commitment from Nikon towards DX, decided to move back. Smaller all around.
When D5500 new, of course took test shots with all my lenses as I know there is no micro adj on D5500.
All worked perfectly more or less- maybe the focus on some not dead on, but within reason.
Ok so far.
This morning I updated firmware in camera to 1.01 the lens firmware remains at 2.009
Now, all Nikon lenses work but the one Sigma lens I have will not AF at all any longer. (Sigma EX 85 f1.4 DG HSM). Yup, the AF/M switch is in the AF position and tried going back and forth and remounting the lens.

It seems the firmware cut out the ability of the Sigma to autofocus. On the info screen, the AF selector and AF/MF are greyed out.It is now a MF focus lens only- turning the focus ring does give in-focus indication so can be used that way.

Anybody else seen this? Perhaps I missed something but don't think so I looked back to pre-firmware change and see that I used the Sigma 85- worked AF no problem. Now it does not.

It can be one of two possibilities; 1- lens is suddenly not working, or 2- firmware update knocked it out.

cheers,

John

Its extremly sad if Nikon choose to criple the competition instead of making better lens themselves. Rigth now if you want to get the best picture quality using DX lens only you find that 3rd party companies offer better IQ and apertures from 11mm to 150mm (Tokinas at UWA, Sigmas 18 35 and 17 50 at normal range and sigma 50 150 at short tele) and instead of trying to beat them creating better lens they decide to damage the competition. Without doubt is a valid war tactic, but is sad that when you want to pick a lens for something close to a "holy trinity" on DX you need to stay away of nikons, because they are just worst option and not for price. Nikon beat them on all-around, superzoom and cheap teles which truely looks as role inversion, with nikon being good just at "cheapies" and the 3rd party at the "good ones".

Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 26,211
Not really

Tomi O wrote:

John Schulte wrote:

All,

Ok so far.

Anybody else seen this? Perhaps I missed something but don't think so I looked back to pre-firmware change and see that I used the Sigma 85- worked AF no problem. Now it does not.

cheers,

John

Its extremly sad if Nikon choose to criple the competition instead of making better lens themselves. Rigth now if you want to get the best picture quality using DX lens only you find that 3rd party companies offer better IQ and apertures from 11mm to 150mm (Tokinas at UWA, Sigmas 18 35 and 17 50 at normal range and sigma 50 150 at short tele) and instead of trying to beat them creating better lens they decide to damage the competition. Without doubt is a valid war tactic, but is sad that when you want to pick a lens for something close to a "holy trinity" on DX you need to stay away of nikons, because they are just worst option and not for price. Nikon beat them on all-around, superzoom and cheap teles which truely looks as role inversion, with nikon being good just at "cheapies" and the 3rd party at the "good ones".

Not really the case. Note that Nikon is not in competition at those UWA DX only apertures/focal lengths. More a case of some third party lens companies just slow to keep up (and not an easy task so glad they do so well) with body upgrades and product evolution. Not uncommon in the case of Sigma, but usually not a problem for Tonkina and Tamron (in relative terms). Fortunately, Sigma usually fixes their issue (if history is a good indicator) with a dock or firmware fix ASAP. Pros and Cons

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

BirgerH
BirgerH Veteran Member • Posts: 5,904
Re: Not really

Mako2011 wrote:

Tomi O wrote:

John Schulte wrote:

All,

Ok so far.

cheers,

John

Its extremly sad if Nikon choose to criple the competition instead of making better lens themselves. Rigth now if you want to get the best picture quality using DX lens only you find that 3rd party companies offer better IQ and apertures from 11mm to 150mm (Tokinas at UWA, Sigmas 18 35 and 17 50 at normal range and sigma 50 150 at short tele) and instead of trying to beat them creating better lens they decide to damage the competition. Without doubt is a valid war tactic, but is sad that when you want to pick a lens for something close to a "holy trinity" on DX you need to stay away of nikons, because they are just worst option and not for price. Nikon beat them on all-around, superzoom and cheap teles which truely looks as role inversion, with nikon being good just at "cheapies" and the 3rd party at the "good ones".

Not really the case. Note that Nikon is not in competition at those UWA DX only apertures/focal lengths. More a case of some third party lens companies just slow to keep up (and not an easy task so glad they do so well) with body upgrades and product evolution. Not uncommon in the case of Sigma, but usually not a problem for Tonkina and Tamron (in relative terms). Fortunately, Sigma usually fixes their issue (if history is a good indicator) with a dock or firmware fix ASAP. Pros and Cons

I agree with Mako here.

Nikon does the development - and pays the cost of the developments. Sigma has never wanted to be a part of this. Neither have they been invited, I think.

Nikon is it their right - and it is their duty too - to make their cameras compatible to those developments - not to 3. party's copy-makers.

If it means, that they have to change their circuits, software and/or hardware to make new developed lenses run together with their own older lenses - they have to if possible, no matter other companies lenses might no longer be able to run - that's the real life.

If Sigma wants to sell Nikon fitted lenses - they have to make their lenses able to run - even when conditions changes.

It's not a matter of "cripple the competition" - making new and otherwise (better) operated lenses is a matter of "intensifying the competition".

BirgerH.

BirgerH's gear list:BirgerH's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800
volks 1
volks 1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,690

BirgerH wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

Tomi O wrote:

John Schulte wrote:

All,

Ok so far.

cheers,

John

I agree with Mako here.

Nikon does the development - and pays the cost of the developments. Sigma has never wanted to be a part of this. Neither have they been invited, I think.

Nikon is it their right - and it is their duty too - to make their cameras compatible to those developments - not to 3. party's copy-makers.

If it means, that they have to change their circuits, software and/or hardware to make new developed lenses run together with their own older lenses - they have to if possible, no matter other companies lenses might no longer be able to run - that's the real life.

If Sigma wants to sell Nikon fitted lenses - they have to make their lenses able to run - even when conditions changes.

It's not a matter of "cripple the competition" - making new and otherwise (better) operated lenses is a matter of "intensifying the competition".

BirgerH.

Well stated Birger. The irony here is that those that criticize Nikon for their actions would do exactly the same thing if they were in Nikon's shoes.

Besides, it's not like there have not been plenty of cautions stated on the web and forums that one day your third party lens may no longer work with brand name cameras.

-- hide signature --

Keeping it light and simple.

volks 1's gear list:volks 1's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR
Duke Sweden Regular Member • Posts: 415

tweekie1955 wrote:

I have 2 sigma lenses a 50-150 2.8 and an 18- 50 2.8-4.5

neither work after the 1.01 upgrade does anyone have a copy of the 1.00 firmware

to try and downgrade

Since this is the first firmware update for these cameras there are no previous versions available although someone said that you might be able to find it on the Nikon european website.

(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 307

volks 1 wrote:

BirgerH wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

Tomi O wrote:

John Schulte wrote:

All,

Ok so far.

cheers,

John

I agree with Mako here.

BirgerH.

Well stated Birger. The irony here is that those that criticize Nikon for their actions would do exactly the same thing if they were in Nikon's shoes.

Besides, it's not like there have not been plenty of cautions stated on the web and forums that one day your third party lens may no longer work with brand name cameras.

Im not saying at any moment that Nikon dont have the rigth to do it nor that they have to even worry to keep 3rd party products working, but its at least suspictious that something that was already working sudenly stop doing it. About the competition on UWA, its like Nikon dont even try to participate and its the same with the fast aperture teles, the problem at those focal length its that there are not a single lens to start figthing. Instead of just loosing, Nikon is not even trying to participate on the contest. Something I have perfectly clear its that if the only thing that the new firmware upgrade will provide its compatibility with their new low quality lens, I would totally avoid that upgrade because it would be a lot more a downgrade if you loose the compatibility with much better lens.

Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 26,211
a fix

Tomi O wrote:

volks 1 wrote:

BirgerH wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

Tomi O wrote:

John Schulte wrote:

All,

Ok so far.

cheers,

John

I agree with Mako here.

BirgerH.

Im not saying at any moment that Nikon dont have the rigth to do it nor that they have to even worry to keep 3rd party products working, but its at least suspictious that something that was already working sudenly stop doing it.

It actually has happened often (relative) in the past with updates...usually Sigma...sometimes other things like 3rd party batteries.

About the competition on UWA, its like Nikon dont even try to participate and its the same with the fast aperture teles, the problem at those focal length its that there are not a single lens to start figthing.

Again...Nikon really isn't in competition. UWA and fast teles just don't sell well in DX. So Nikon doesn't put limited resources in that area...and why 3rd party companies can make a profit filling that small niche. I suspect that if 3rd party companies would drop out...you might see some lens like that. Maybe not UWA though...UWA DX is expensive just like UWA FX. Not a lot to be saved in a DX only version. Fast DX only teles wouldn't be cheap either...and the DX market for them would still be small. The vast majority od DX users still just get a single kit lens and no more.

Instead of just loosing, Nikon is not even trying to participate on the contest.

No need...in terms of best place to put resources.

Something I have perfectly clear its that if the only thing that the new firmware upgrade will provide its compatibility with their new low quality lens, I would totally avoid that upgrade because it would be a lot more a downgrade if you loose the compatibility with much better lens.

And that's why they didn't do it to cripple Sigma...it was done for unrelated reasons. And like in the past...Sigma will likely catch up with a fix.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Billy Ray Valentine
Billy Ray Valentine Senior Member • Posts: 1,251
Welcome to the 3rd party lens world...

Nikon has made it crystal clear they do not share their lens mount. (I don't blame them either)

Reverse engineering is what is it is, good luck and hope Sigma can come up with new firmware for your lens.

BTW - I will put up my 85G against the Sigma any day. Pink slips ?

http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compare/Side-by-side/Nikon-AF-S-NIKKOR-85mm-F18G-versus-85mm-F1.4-EX-DG-HSM-Nikon__823_0_362_0

DxO seems to agree...

Billy Ray Valentine's gear list:Billy Ray Valentine's gear list
Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
OP John Schulte Regular Member • Posts: 433
Love it

perhaps the Nikon is better all around. No argument there.   😉

However, the 85 1.4 Sigma is the only non Nikon lens I have and produces amazing results.

Love it.

Cheers

john

John Schulte's gear list:John Schulte's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR
Billy Ray Valentine
Re: Love it

John Schulte wrote:

perhaps the Nikon is better all around. No argument there. 😉

However, the 85 1.4 Sigma is the only non Nikon lens I have and produces amazing results.

Love it.

Cheers

john

Hope you are good at MF

Maybe Sigma will fix the FW at some point. As cut throat as the camera market is at this point, it would not surprise me if one these FW upgrades stops the reverse engineering altogether.

Good luck & hope the cost savings balances the stress of having a brick.

Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Mister Spock
Mister Spock New Member • Posts: 13

Hi.

I've just fallen victim to this, having recently upgraded from a D5000 to the D5500. On receiving the D5500, I updated the firmware like a good boy, before trying it with all my lenses (why would I not you ask).

I now have a Sigma 70-300 and a Sigma 10-20 that will not autofocus. Both work fine on my old D5000.

Nikon have stated that they are aware of a small number of cases, but as the lenses are not theirs it is Sigma's responsibility, and they say there is no way to roll back the firmware once it is upgraded; the process is permanent.

Sigma have advised that they can upgrade the firmware in the lenses for £10 (UK) if I still have the receipt, even if the warranty has expired, but as I bought both of mine on eBay, they want £37.99 each, something I hadn't budgeted for when I bought my new camera.

I asked Nikon if they could provide the old firmware as a patch, but they are not interested.

Who is to blame?

Nikon? Not their lens, but it's their firmware update that has caused the problem. They only test new firmware with Nikon lenses, which is understandable given the wide variety of third party ones. I think given the number of D5500's they would have sold and the number of users with Sigma lenses, their statement of 'a small number of users' should be taken with a pinch of salt. They could earn a lot of kudos by addressing the problem instead of washing their hands of it. They could also lose a lot of customers if people start to worry about what will happen to their third party lenses if they upgrade to the latest Nikon.

Sigma? Totally not their fault, and offering to repair it for £10 (postage costs) if the lens is with the original owner but out of warranty is service above an beyond, but I'm still left either with 2 manual focus lenses or a £76 'repair' bill.

If I had know about this in advance I would have not updated the firmware, and perhaps may have thought twice about upgrading to the D5500 at all. Food for thought Nikon....

Rant Over. Now more info which I hope others will find helpful, especially if like me they will have to live with it util they can afford the firmware upgrade.

As stated, I have this problem on my 70-300 AP DG and my 10-20 DC HSM. On both lenses, the autofocus is non-functional when I fit the lens, but the way it manifests is different.

I can actually get the autofocus to work on both lenses. This is a bit of a fiddle and involves holding down the lens release button on the camera body, then rotating the lens to break and re-make the CPU contacts. After a few attempts, the autofocus starts working, but differently on each lens (see below).

On the 70-300, the camera screen shows the focus mode as AF-A (even though it will not autofocus). This can be changed in the menu to MF, but not back to AF-A once I've changed it. Because of this, when I use my trick to get the autofocus working, the only way to see if it has worked is to try it out. When I do get it working it is prone to dropping out again, especially if the camera goes into power saving mode or I change something.

With the 10-20 things are a little better. When I fit the lens, the camera screen show that it is in MF mode and can't be changed. If I sue my trick, it is easy to see if it has worked, because the display shows the camera is now in AF-A mode, and the AF continues to work until something is changed.

Far from ideal, I admit, but it's a workaround until I can get the lens firmware sorted, and better than an MF 'brick'

For anyone with an affected Sigma lens, Sigma will update the firmware FOC if in warranty, for £10 a lens if out of warranty but you still have the receipt, and for £37.99 if you don't. Lens will need to be sent to them and will take 1-2 weeks (UK).

Mister Spock's gear list:Mister Spock's gear list
Nikon D5000 Nikon D5500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro +4 more
Mister Spock

As per my post, Sigma should be able to update the firmware on your lens. Good news if you have the original receipt, £10 per lens, even if the warranty has expired. Bad news if (like me) you bought used lenses £37.99 each, but at least they can be fixed.

Email: service@sigma-imaging-uk.com

Nikon D5000 Nikon D5500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro +4 more
Mister Spock

I agree, but if users with older third party lenses are being punished for simply updating their firmware, then perhaps Nikon should support their customers and at least look at a method of rolling back the firmware as a fix.

If they modified the code on the original firmware so the camera recognized it as new firmware it could effectively be rolled back. Nikon would simply need to email the 'patch' file to affected users along with a disclaimer. Users could then decide whether to risk installing the patch, weighing up the effects of restoring the original issues that the update addressed against having their lenses working again.

Nikon could earn some serious brownie points here, and how hard could it be? If anyone out there is good at coding they could have a go themselves.

I'm going to email Nikon support back and say the same thing.

Mister Spock
Re: Love it

It's not nice to gloat. Not everyone can afford Nikon glass.

Billy Ray Valentine
Now Mr. Spock...

...you should know that buying 3rd party lenses for Nikon is illogical!

Gruja Forum Member • Posts: 89
Re: Now Mr. Spock...

This is shortsighted on part of Nikon and endangers their entire system. Next time I upgrade I'll bring my Sigma lenses to store to try with new camera. If they don't work do you think I'll throw them away and buy Nikon equivalents? That's not realistic. I just won't upgrade. If I absolutely have to, I'll check whether some other system (let's say Sony mirrorless) has better history of compatibility with 3rd party lenses I'll be hard pressed to say goodbye to Nikon to protect my future investments. And it's not just about me. Since I'm camera enthusiast I'm the go-to person for recommendations for friends and family, so potentially multiply that by 10. Of course I'm not talking about myself specifically but about thousands of Nikon users throughout the world who will be bitten by this.

If it was a way to compete few years ago, it's not any more. And as many people said here, lots of these lenses are not a competition at all since Nikon doesn't produce alternatives. Instead they are valuable contribution which strengthen Nikon ecosystem and idea to stomp on them is bad business.

Gruja's gear list:Gruja's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads