A77II Mode Dial and Lock Button came off. Replacement?

Started Jan 26, 2016 | Discussions
twomoocows Regular Member • Posts: 197
A77II Mode Dial and Lock Button came off. Replacement?

Hi folks.

Just noticed that the Mode Dial and Lock Button on my A77II has disappeared. Not sure how it happened.

It looks like I can't just buy the Dial Knob but I have to get the whole top cover (around $80.00US).

Unfortunately I can't turn the dial without forcing it (as the Lock Button is also gone), so I am stuck in A Mode until it's repaired (no longer under warranty).

The camera doesn't get mistreated so I am at a loss as to how it came off. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if so, how was it resolved?

Cheers.

Stew.

Sony a77 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 55,531
Re: A77II Mode Dial and Lock Button came off. Replacement?

Since you asked I have never had this problem with my A77ii or any other camera in my whole life. I guess given enough samples most anything can happen.

-- hide signature --

Tom
Look at the picture, not the pixels
------------
Misuse of the ability to do 100% pixel peeping is the bane of digital photography.

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
tqlla Veteran Member • Posts: 6,204

Hmmm, seems like something that I would notice pretty quickly. I would say keep looking for it, and retrace your steps.  Do you keep your camera in a bag?

Could you take a picture of your camera without the dial? I wonder if it is screws in underneath.

tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony a7R III Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG DN
stardotstar Veteran Member • Posts: 4,159

Contact Sony support, maybe they will work with you!

-- hide signature --

For those that cannot read or comprehend, the following statement is my signature, not a response to your post!
If you don't see a response from me to your comment, its because you are on my ignore list!

MisterAndrew
MisterAndrew Regular Member • Posts: 134

I can't find the part number for the A77II model dial either. You may be able to use the A99 mode dial. It's $43. Part number X-2585-615-1.

MisterAndrew's gear list:MisterAndrew's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony a77 II Sony a7R IV +19 more
rgsnow
rgsnow Regular Member • Posts: 154

Mine came off, found it in the bottom of my camera bag and a very small metal pin. I have extended warranty and sent it in for repair. took about 2 weeks.

rgsnow's gear list:rgsnow's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony a77 II Sony a99 II Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
OP twomoocows Regular Member • Posts: 197

Thanks folks. I'm using the camera this weekend for Football Photography and will take it in for repair next week.

I will post back when I find out what is required.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

I don't think an A99 Dial will work as the A77II has a 12fps mode on the Dial.

Cheers.

Stew.

Bart7D
Bart7D Veteran Member • Posts: 4,462

twomoocows wrote:

That's just 2 square millimeter of text; the functional switching is on the inside. There are equal amounts of options in the movement and the relief print, so I would agree with the suggestion to try this...

Bart

Bart7D's gear list:Bart7D's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a77 II +22 more
tqlla Veteran Member • Posts: 6,204

twomoocows wrote:

Thanks folks. I'm using the camera this weekend for Football Photography and will take it in for repair next week.

I will post back when I find out what is required.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Cheers.

Stew.

From the outside, the dials look exactly the same, except the A99 has Bolder markings, and instead of T10, it says T12.

tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony a7R III Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG DN

Thanks for the replies and suggestions folks.

The camera goes in for assessment today so I will let you know how it goes.

Loving this camera for my Sports Photography by the way.

Cheers.

Stew.

Re: A77II Mode Dial and Lock Button repaired.

In case anyone is interested (posted this in a similar thread but I thought I'd close off mine).

I had the A77II repaired here in Bahrain for around 114USD. They replaced the whole top cover assembly as the knob doesn't come separately.

I've included some images below.

Interestingly, I think the knob came off by scraping against my belt. I have the battery grip and use the battery grip strap eyelet as well as the one on the top right. I have reverted to using the two top eyelets to hold the strap and this should protect the knob somewhat.

Cheers.

Stew.

Laiming
Laiming Forum Member • Posts: 71
Re: A77II Mode Dial and Lock Button repaired.

I came across this issue a month ago and no way to get the whole top cover. The repair company stuck some cotton into the dial and I DIY the whole control dial by label, marker and tape..……

Does it look attractive ?! >_<

Laiming's gear list:Laiming's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX280 HS Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony a77 II Sony a6400 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +10 more
Tim Crammond Senior Member • Posts: 1,011

tbcass wrote:

Since you asked I have never had this problem with my A77ii or any other camera in my whole life. I guess given enough samples most anything can happen.

Still,  that's three people in this thread who've had it happen. Is this problem (either its falling off, or not being replaceable without the entire top cover plate) in some way linked to the locking function of the dial?

I'm a bit confused also; did the thing just shear off in the cases quoted here? If not; if it just 'fell off' somehow without the top-plate being removed, why can't it just be put back on again via the reverse method? I'm not doubting it; I just genuinely am interested in what design characteristic apparently makes it so given to falling off, yet so apparently impossible to just put back on again.

Tim Crammond's gear list:Tim Crammond's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 Sony a77 II Sony a7 III Sony a6600 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +28 more
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 55,531

Tim Crammond wrote:

tbcass wrote:

I just genuinely am interested in what design characteristic apparently makes it so given to falling off, yet so apparently impossible to just put back on again.

Given the rarity of this happening I would say that it is in no way given to falling off. I suspect that the fact it sticks up means that it is prone to sideways pressure.

Years ago I owned a Fuji s9000 that some people had problems with the control dial falling off. At that time it seems that it was prone to happening because some people were putting excessive side pressure on the knob. In the case of the A77ii that is unlikely because you have to push the button simultaniously with turning the knob.

-- hide signature --

Tom
Look at the picture, not the pixels

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
rtex42
rtex42 Contributing Member • Posts: 590

The same thing happened on my A77ii. I found I could stick something down in the lock button hole and adjust the knob. I did that until I sent the camera in for repair.

-- hide signature --

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has occurred." George Bernard Shaw

rtex42's gear list:rtex42's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony a6500 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS

In my case I lost the top part of the knob so I had to replace the top plate (cannot just buy the knob).

rtex42
rtex42 Contributing Member • Posts: 590

That was the case with mine as well. Had it repaired at Precision Camera.

-- hide signature --

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has occurred." George Bernard Shaw

rtex42's gear list:rtex42's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony a6500 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS
EvilOne
EvilOne Forum Pro • Posts: 14,627
Re: A77II Mode Dial and Lock Button came off. Replacement? Possible solution

Just a heads up, and for some, a well kept secret. Every credit card company that I know of, has this special feature. Since credit cards are so in demand, and their features are competitive, they all seem to have this feature. Its insurance for your purchases. I've actually used this feature, so it works.

If you use a credit card to purchase an expensive item , like a camera or a TV or other appliance, built into the card is an insurance policy for any product with a warranty.

What this insurance does is give you 2X the factory warranty. e.g. you have a camera with a one year warranty, you pay for it using your credit card., 14 or 15 months down the road, your camera fails. You think its out of warranty, so you contact your credit card company, provide the date and product from your credit card statement, and the bank will put you in touch with their insurance underwriter. Its a very easy process. a one year warranty becomes two years. The second year is covered by the bank who's credit card you used to make that purchase.

I had my 48 inch Sharp Acquis HD TV fail after 14 months. Called the bank, and within a week I had a New ( Later model ) 48 in Sharp Acquis in my house. I never touched a thing . they came in, took out the old TV and installed the new one at no cost to me.  So remember this when you " think " you are out of warranty.

Bill aka EO

EvilOne's gear list:EvilOne's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi Nikon Coolpix 990 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 +5 more
Aunty_Shake Regular Member • Posts: 304

Happened to me in May this year with my c2 year old a77-2.

I was on a small boat in the North Sea heading to the Farne Islands, as I took my camera & shoulder bag off from round my neck the sharp eyed guy next to me said 'something's just fallen off your camera' & he picked up the dial wheel cover off the deck of the boat. It was just like a rubber cover, I put it back on & realised the middle push down button was also missing, the same sharp eyed guy, as the boat pitched about on the waves, found that for me too. After a bit if fiddling & figuring out both were successfully returned to the camera & have survived extensive use ever since - happy days.

Jeadm Senior Member • Posts: 1,962

I suspect that the lock button exacerbates this issue.  Whereas without that button sideways stress may be relieved somewhat by a free spinning knob "accidentally" turning, there's no way to alleviate that pressure if the button isn't pushed.

Jeadm's gear list:Jeadm's gear list
Sony a77 II Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads