How does Olympus generate file names?

Started Jan 24, 2016 | Questions
Tom Axford Veteran Member • Posts: 6,535
How does Olympus generate file names?

I have noticed on my E-M10 II that the image file names follow a somewhat strange sequence.

The file names generated so far have all been of the form P1dd0nnn, where dd seems to be the day of the month and nnn is a sequence number counting up from 001. The sequence number may be 4 digits, but I haven't yet taken 1000 shots so it hasn't got far enough for me to see.

Why would the day of the month be used as part of the file name? Have I got it wrong?

I'm also a bit disconcerted to see that these filenames can not be seen in reviewing the images on the camera. The numbers there appear simply as 100-0nnn.

Is there a way of setting the filenames to be a simple sequence without using the day of the month as part of it?

ANSWER:
Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Pikme Senior Member • Posts: 2,176
Re: How does Olympus generate file names?

Hate to say it, but maybe take a look at your manual?

I don't have that particular camera, but with my Oly cameras it is possible to set the way the file names are generated, and also possible to set the manner in which the files numbers start over.

Personally, I like having the date included (not sure why that would be disconcerting) and like the way the Oly naming system works in general. The default info is useful to me, but obviously, others may have different opinions.

-- hide signature --

Roberto M.

Paul Boddie Regular Member • Posts: 193
Re: How does Olympus generate file names?

See this forum article for some more information.

Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 33,354
Explained

Tom Axford wrote:

I have noticed on my E-M10 II that the image file names follow a somewhat strange sequence.

That's the Olympus way!

The file names generated so far have all been of the form P1dd0nnn, where dd seems to be the day of the month and nnn is a sequence number counting up from 001. The sequence number may be 4 digits, but I haven't yet taken 1000 shots so it hasn't got far enough for me to see.

By default the "P" denotes sRGB colour space, if using Adobe RGB it would be "_" as the first character.

Why would the day of the month be used as part of the file name? Have I got it wrong?

Pmddxxxx, where dd = days 01 to 31, m = months 1-9 then Oct/Nov/Dec are A/B/C

I'm also a bit disconcerted to see that these filenames can not be seen in reviewing the images on the camera. The numbers there appear simply as 100-0nnn.

In camera you are looking at the SD card folder structure as well, in your case you are seeing/using folder number 100OLYMP, and file number xxxx in that folder. Olympus goes from 0001 to 9999 before it flips over and in that case creates a new SD card folder called 101OLYMP and starts again at file number 0001 in that new folder.

By contrast Panasonic rolls over folder numbers at file 0999 so only gets 1/10 the number of files in a folder. Early ones did that and I presume that they still use the same basic firmware.

Is there a way of setting the filenames to be a simple sequence without using the day of the month as part of it?

You can edit the first 4 characters of the file name in the camera (Custom Menu H in my E-P5) to something more meaningful, in my case I can quickly see what's what as I now have PL1Axxxx, PL1Bxxxx, EP3Axxxx, PL5Axxxx, PL5Bxxxx, EP5Axxxx, and EP5Bxxxx files in my folder setup. The "P" in my case is an edited P and not the default P.

I don't get clashes with file numbers both being 0001 or whatever because they are all in day dated folders and rollovers happen well apart. Plus of course the edited file naming helps keep things sane.

The only way to get some continuous endless file numbering system is to manage downloads and do some renaming then, more pain that it's worth.

Th other thread linked to says....

In a file called P9040012.jpg

P is a character randomly chosen by Olympus

• 9 is the month 1-9 = January to September, A=October, B=November, C=December
  • 04 is the day
  • 0012 is the sequential number of pictures taken.

The "P" is not randomly chosen, it seems to be common for some cameras and possibly means "Picture" but of course that changes with colour space chosen in Oly's case.

Regards....... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +5 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
RedDog Steve
RedDog Steve Senior Member • Posts: 1,819
Re: Explained

Guy Parsons wrote:

Tom Axford wrote:

. . .

Th other thread linked to says....

In a file called P9040012.jpg

P is a character randomly chosen by Olympus

• 9 is the month 1-9 = January to September, A=October, B=November, C=December
  • 04 is the day
  • 0012 is the sequential number of pictures taken.

The "P" is not randomly chosen, it seems to be common for some cameras and possibly means "Picture" but of course that changes with colour space chosen in Oly's case.

Regards....... Guy

In my case I changed the "P" to "M" on my E-M10 so as to avoid the (rather remote) possibility of the same file name and to differentiate between the Pen and OM-D.

-- hide signature --

rd

RedDog Steve's gear list:RedDog Steve's gear list
Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Leica DG Summilux 12mm F1.4 ASPH +17 more
OP Tom Axford Veteran Member • Posts: 6,535
Re: Explained

Many thanks, Guy.

I probably could have deduced it for myself if I had devoted the time and effort to it, but the tremendous value of this forum is that knowledge can quickly be shared without everyone having to repeat the effort of working it out.

Thanks again!

Tom.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads