Volna 9 50mm f2.8 Macro 1:2

Started Jan 22, 2016 | Discussions
Caledonia84
Caledonia84 Regular Member • Posts: 370
Volna 9 50mm f2.8 Macro 1:2

A very interesting lens, well built, sharp enough very smooth bokeh wide open and quite unusual star shaped highlights stopped down. Heres some sample shots taken with a combined Zhongyi Lens Turbo to give me its true focal length on my cropped sensor A6000.

Pros

Creamy bokeh, Star shaped aperture stopped down sharp

Cons

Star shaped aperture only 1:2 on its own

Caledonia84's gear list:Caledonia84's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S100fs NEX5R Sony a6000 Sony a7 II Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +42 more
Leica SL 50mm F1.4 Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
SimonOL Senior Member • Posts: 1,956
Re: Volna 9 50mm f2.8 Macro 1:2

More good looking shots - and some novelty bokeh as well!

That's a pretty weird design choice for the aperture shape. It looks great in your shot but I guess you've got to be a bit careful with that effect unless you want stars everywhere of course!

SimonOL's gear list:SimonOL's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7R II +1 more
Caledonia84
OP Caledonia84 Regular Member • Posts: 370

SimonOL wrote:

More good looking shots - and some novelty bokeh as well!

That's a pretty weird design choice for the aperture shape. It looks great in your shot but I guess you've got to be a bit careful with that effect unless you want stars everywhere of course!

My thoughts exactly, The bokeh at smaller apertures is some of the smoothest I've seen but it starts to get a bit messy around 5.6. You're spot on its definitely a novelty but you'd need to be careful with it.

Fujifilm FinePix S100fs NEX5R Sony a6000 Sony a7 II Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +42 more
MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 42,136

Did well,

I have difficulty in distinguishing the rare Volna-9 from its just as pretty and smaller sized sister the Industar 61-L/Z which has similar specifications, the same shaped aperture and is also silky smooth to focus.  The Industar is more common and more easily found.

They are obviously very different sized lenses but must share a very close dna.

Both were billed "close focus" and seem to focus to about 300mm.  Maybe the Volna has more macro attributes?

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Caledonia84

Did well,

I have difficulty in distinguishing the rare Volna-9 from its just as pretty and smaller sized sister the Industar 61-L/Z which has similar specifications, the same shaped aperture and is also silky smooth to focus.  The Industar is more common and more easily found.

Both were billed "close focus" and seem to focus to about 300mm.  Maybe the Volna has more macro attributes?

The volna is 200mm apparently, I will test to be sure, I think the industar might be a better bargain as it's cheaper and quite comparible in performance I hear
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/caledonia84/

Abbazz
Abbazz Senior Member • Posts: 1,062

Tom Caldwell wrote:

I have difficulty in distinguishing the rare Volna-9 from its just as pretty and smaller sized sister the Industar 61-L/Z which has similar specifications, the same shaped aperture and is also silky smooth to focus. The Industar is more common and more easily found.

Both were billed "close focus" and seem to focus to about 300mm. Maybe the Volna has more macro attributes?

These lenses are very different optically speaking. The Industar is a Tessar formula lens (4 elements in 3 groups) that happens to focus pretty close. The Volna is a specially designed macro lens with an asymmetrical Gauss formula (6 elements in 5 groups), which goes directly to 1:2 magnification (and 1:1 with an extension tube). Here are the optical formulas of both lenses:

Industar 61-L/Z

Volna 9

Here are two pictures showing the maximum magnification attainable with each lens (pictures from this thread at MFLenses forum):

Industar 61-L/Z closest focus - Picture by Nordentro

Volna 9 closest focus - Picture by Nordentro

The Volna is also sharper, especially when close focusing (pictures from Le Blog M42):

Industar at F/2.8 (center of frame, 100% crop - image by rizard1)

Volna at F/2.8 (center of frame, 100% crop - image by rizard1)

Regarding the bokeh, Volna's bokeh is somewhat smoother than Industar's, but only in the background. Foreground bokeh on the Volna lens is pretty ugly. Here's a background bokeh comparison (from this thread at MFLenses ):

Industar's bokeh (picture by voe)

Volna's bokeh (picture by voe)

Cheers!

Abbazz

-- hide signature --

The 6x9 Photography Online Resource: http://artbig.com/

Caledonia84 wrote:

Did well,

I have difficulty in distinguishing the rare Volna-9 from its just as pretty and smaller sized sister the Industar 61-L/Z which has similar specifications, the same shaped aperture and is also silky smooth to focus. The Industar is more common and more easily found.

Both were billed "close focus" and seem to focus to about 300mm. Maybe the Volna has more macro attributes?

The volna is 200mm apparently, I will test to be sure, I think the industar might be a better bargain as it's cheaper and quite comparible in performance I hear
--

I have both, they are like peas in a pod - just that the Industar 61-L/Z is noticeably smaller - just scaled down.  The Volna is very nice to use with the larger focus ring and the same ceamy focus action.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Thanks Abbazz,

Now I know that I was only romancing because the body design is so similar.  I could not have been more wrong (blush).  I now have a lot more respect for my Volna.

Must add to my list of lenses to get out and try.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Abbazz
Abbazz Senior Member • Posts: 1,062

You're welcome, Tom.

The Volna is a great lens. At F/5.6 - 8, it's very sharp and consistently delivers beautiful images. It is very well suited for shooting small objects or flowers, thanks to its close-up capability and to its buttery background bokeh. I find it a bit short for portraiture on full-frame but it should work great on a crop format camera. Just beware of the foreground bokeh that can ruin a picture if you're not careful:

Picture by voe

I have linked the above picture only to show the Volna's somewhat funky foreground bokeh. I certainly do not mean to imply that it is a bad picture in any way.

Cheers!

Abbazz

-- hide signature --

The 6x9 Photography Online Resource: http://artbig.com/

René Schuster Forum Pro • Posts: 14,180

Caledonia84 wrote:

A very interesting lens, well built, sharp enough very smooth bokeh wide open and quite unusual star shaped highlights stopped down. Heres some sample shots taken with a combined Zhongyi Lens Turbo to give me its true focal length on my cropped sensor A6000.

Pros

Creamy bokeh, Star shaped aperture stopped down sharp

Cons

Star shaped aperture only 1:2 on its own

Interesting, never seen such star shaped aperture highlights before!

The 'Torx Bokeh', lol!

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx

René

Caledonia84

Excellent info!!! Much improved my understanding of the lens
--

widgetbox
widgetbox Contributing Member • Posts: 725
Fellow Volna 9 owner here

I need to take it out on a "one lens trip" to fully test it but can confirm it's not bad as a macro lens.

Just a quickie

-- hide signature --

Richard

widgetbox's gear list:widgetbox's gear list
Sony a6000 Fujifilm X100T Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Sigma 30mm F1.4 (E/EF-M mounts) +30 more

Abbazz wrote:

You're welcome, Tom.

The Volna is a great lens. At F/5.6 - 8, it's very sharp and consistently delivers beautiful images. It is very well suited for shooting small objects or flowers, thanks to its close-up capability and to its buttery background bokeh. I find it a bit short for portraiture on full-frame but it should work great on a crop format camera. Just beware of the foreground bokeh that can ruin a picture if you're not careful:

Picture by voe

I have linked the above picture only to show the Volna's somewhat funky foreground bokeh. I certainly do not mean to imply that it is a bad picture in any way.

Cheers!

Abbazz

Thanks, I have always liked using the Volna-9 and had merely assumed that the very similar styled Industar-61L/Z with identical apparent specifications were the same design and it did puzzle me why the Volna was noticeably physically larger. But they even feel much the same in use.

So it goes to show that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing and thank you again for correcting me as I would have otherwise have continued living in that little fantasy world.

I like my knowledge to be good.

Of course the I-61L/Z is is relatively common as its price indicates and the V-9 is somewhat rarer.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads