Canon 6D shutter help

Started Jan 17, 2016 | Discussions
Formanproject New Member • Posts: 2
Canon 6D shutter help

Hello,

I was using my camera earlier and suddenly it stopped taking photos and gave me the error 20 code. When I got home and removed the lens it seemed that one of the shutter blades was stuck on the opposite side of the sensor (preventing it from working properly.) I was able to un lodge it however now it seems that particular blade is just stuck. The rest of the shutter seems to be working fine, however that one blade just remains on the sensor and doesn't move with it.

Anything you guys recommend, or am I going to need a new shutter? If so, about how much do those run? I bought my camera grey market (it was from england, I'm in the USA), will canon still repair it?

Thanks!!

Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 15,724
Of course Canon will repair it :)

Take it into them if you can, if not contact them they will tell you how. I'd say yes, it definitely needs repair.

Carl

Jeff Peterman
Jeff Peterman Forum Pro • Posts: 12,890
Re: Of course Canon will repair it :)

Unlike Nikon USA. Unless things have changed Nikon USA will only repair camera gear in the country where it was purchased, to reduce grey market sales. Happily, Canon USA will repair Canon gear from anywhere - for a price.

-- hide signature --

Jeff Peterman, Moderator 7D and Phone/Tablet forums.
Not a staff member, or paid employee, of DPReview.
Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Jeff Peterman's gear list:Jeff Peterman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +18 more
MikeJ9116 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,230
Re: Canon 6D shutter help

If your camera is still under warranty you can send it to a UK repair facility to be repaired for no charge.  International shipping in today's world isn't all that difficult or expensive.  Just make sure you have insurance on it which should be the case no matter where you ship it.

Fprodget New Member • Posts: 2

My shutter failed last October, just as yours did. I was out of my one year warranty by 3 weeks and Canon USA still repaired it under warranty. it took about 6 days from when I shipped it to when I received it back.

-- hide signature --

John H

Fprodget's gear list:Fprodget's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6
moimoi
moimoi Veteran Member • Posts: 5,302

Fprodget wrote:

My shutter failed last October, just as yours did. I was out of my one year warranty by 3 weeks and Canon USA still repaired it under warranty. it took about 6 days from when I shipped it to when I received it back.

That to me shows how Canon is committed to his customers.  A very important matter in my opinion.  One major reason I change from Nikon and Sony to Canon.  Thus far, no regrets!

-- hide signature --

John H

-- hide signature --

http://www.maximesiegler.com/
https://www.facebook.com/maxime.siegler.photography
https://500px.com/maxime_siegler_photography
"All we have discovered is that it starts with a single individual - always a child - and then spreads explosively, like the formation of crystals round the first nucleus in a saturated solution." Arthur C. Clarke (Childhood's End, 1953)

moimoi's gear list:moimoi's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm GFX 50R Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +8 more
(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 15,724
Re: Of course Canon will repair it :)

Correct

-- hide signature --
OP Formanproject New Member • Posts: 2

Thank you all for your information! I don't want to have to pay shipping just to get a quote that I don't want to pay (get it repaired locally instead) and have it shipped back - does anybody know the cost of a shutter curtain repair? how about a full shutter?

Thanks!

MikeJ9116 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,230

I believe the camera has to be nearly completely dismantled to replace a shutter.  Much of the cost is labor so I would replace it all if I had this problem.  I think it will cost about $350 to have it repaired.  A call to Canon will likely answer the question.

Fprodget New Member • Posts: 2

Formanproject wrote:

Thank you all for your information! I don't want to have to pay shipping just to get a quote that I don't want to pay (get it repaired locally instead) and have it shipped back - does anybody know the cost of a shutter curtain repair? how about a full shutter?

Thanks!

My local camera shop wanted about $450 to replace the shutter. They also had the software to see my shutter actuation count and I think mine was about 30K. they told me the 6d was rated much higher than that and I should approach Canon to fix under warranty.....and they did. Give them a call and plead your case. you will need your original sales receipt.

-- hide signature --

John H

Fprodget's gear list:Fprodget's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6
RyanBoston Senior Member • Posts: 1,257

How old is the camera?

RyanBoston's gear list:RyanBoston's gear list
Canon EOS 6D
Carlos Taylhardat
Carlos Taylhardat Junior Member • Posts: 48

Just had the same and exact problem - frustrating.  My camera is about 1.5 yrs and I am in Canada, it seems that Canada gets away with having worse service and warranty than USA.  Hope Canon treats me as well as some of you.

Will keep you posted.

-- hide signature --

artofheadshots.com
You're beautiful Energy

Carlos Taylhardat's gear list:Carlos Taylhardat's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 6D Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +2 more
Carlos Taylhardat
Carlos Taylhardat Junior Member • Posts: 48

I had the same issue with my 6D, exactly the same problem - so I called Canon Canada and waited and waited and waited 50 minutes on the phone. Finally someone picked up the phone and sent my call elsewhere to wait for another hour and finally I gave up.

Decided to dill out an online form the form won't accept a query we have to pay them $256.48 to inquire about a warranty issue. LAST TIME I AM BUYING A CANON

-- hide signature --

artofheadshots.com
You're beautiful Energy

Carlos Taylhardat's gear list:Carlos Taylhardat's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 6D Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads