X200/X100T Replacement

Started Jan 17, 2016 | Discussions
PentaxNick Senior Member • Posts: 1,577
X200/X100T Replacement

Now the Xpro2 announcement is out of the way, I can see it's an excellent camera, but not for me as a travel/ walkabout camera due to the weight and size of the lenses. So. I'd like to see some of the features and more transferred to the X100T replacement. Specifically I'd like to see:

- 24Mp X-trans sensor. Better IQ and more scope for cropping.
- Updated 23mm f/2 lens to match the sensor.
- Weather Sealing. Essential for a walkabout camera.
- Updated hybrid viewfinder. To match the X-Pro2. Optical zoom to match any add on lenses where appropriate.
- Tilt screen. For better low level/high level/street shooting.
- Proper 49/52mm filter thread not requiring an adapter.
- 21/24mm lens adaptors. Preferably with communication with the body to enable the relevant corrections.
- Macro adaptor to do the same.
- Decent panorama mode that works by pressing and releasing the shutter button. Sometimes I want just a bit wider rather than 120 degrees.
- No bigger!

Obviously fix the current problems such as the EVF/LCD switching, but I'm still hopeful the X100T will get these via a firmware update.

What do you think? Have I missed anything major?

Nick

PentaxNick's gear list:PentaxNick's gear list
Ricoh GR Fujifilm X30 Fujifilm X100T Olympus Tough TG-4 Fujifilm X100F +13 more
OP PentaxNick Senior Member • Posts: 1,577
Re: X200/X100T Replacement

Another one:

- GPS. Very useful for travel.

Nick

BurpeesAreHard Contributing Member • Posts: 826

PentaxNick wrote:

Obviously fix the current problems such as the EVF/LCD switching,

What problem?

Anthelix Regular Member • Posts: 497

PentaxNick wrote:

Now the Xpro2 announcement is out of the way, I can see it's an excellent camera, but not for me as a travel/ walkabout camera due to the weight and size of the lenses. So. I'd like to see some of the features and more transferred to the X100T replacement. Specifically I'd like to see:

• 24Mp X-trans sensor. Better IQ and more scope for cropping.

I'd rather have 12Mp with higher dynamic range... Maybe a pixel-binning mode?

• Updated 23mm f/2 lens to match the sensor.
  • Weather Sealing. Essential for a walkabout camera.

Agreed.

• Updated hybrid viewfinder. To match the X-Pro2. Optical zoom to match any add on lenses where appropriate.
  • Tilt screen. For better low level/high level/street shooting.
  • Proper 49/52mm filter thread not requiring an adapter.

Yes, a filter thread directly on the moving part of the lens would be better. (And if specific ligthweight filters are necessary I'm sure Fuji will be happy to sell them)

• 21/24mm lens adaptors. Preferably with communication with the body to enable the relevant corrections.
  • Macro adaptor to do the same.
  • Decent panorama mode that works by pressing and releasing the shutter button. Sometimes I want just a bit wider rather than 120 degrees.
  • No bigger!

+1

Obviously fix the current problems such as the EVF/LCD switching, but I'm still hopeful the X100T will get these via a firmware update.

Nick

BurpeesAreHard wrote:

PentaxNick wrote:

Obviously fix the current problems such as the EVF/LCD switching,

What problem?

The fact that menus can only be seen in the viewfinder if the view mode is set to viewfinder only. Playback is on the rear screen.

Xplate Regular Member • Posts: 373

Well quite a list. You FORGOT a few items;

1. Cell Phone

2. Built in Hotspot for 4g

3. Apps for ordering pizza

4. IOS and Android Car Play

and last but not least

5. Ability to shoot analog film

PS.

6. $999 USD

-- hide signature --

xplate

spa100
spa100 Regular Member • Posts: 110

Xplate wrote:

1. Cell Phone

and last but not least

PS.

6. $999 USD

I'd settle for a firmware update for the X100T with some of the features they added recently to other models (mostly to show me they still support this fantastic camera)....and the pizza app.

spa100's gear list:spa100's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Tokina AT-X 12-28mm f/4 Pro DX +2 more
drcPhoto
drcPhoto Contributing Member • Posts: 611

spa100 wrote:

Xplate wrote:

1. Cell Phone

and last but not least

PS.

6. $999 USD

I'd settle for a firmware update for the X100T with some of the features they added recently to other models (mostly to show me they still support this fantastic camera)....and the pizza app.

I totally agree.  While it is nice to contimplate what the next generation of the X100T might be like, I still hope Fuji will surprise and support existing X100T owners with a great firmware update that provides both improved existing features and also added functionality.  They did a very solid firmware upgrade for the XT1 so let's hope there is still some added life to the X100T before it becomes an older generation camera.

Dale

drcPhoto's gear list:drcPhoto's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V Fujifilm X100T Olympus E-M1 Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 +27 more
Poagao Contributing Member • Posts: 557

I'd personally love to see a simple, down-to-earth X100 with a large, bright OVF, no EVF, and power-management/batteries that subsequently last for several days of shooting.

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 4,084

PentaxNick wrote:

Another one:

Nick

Then they better boost battery life because GPS sucks power

-- hide signature --

PentaxNick wrote:

- 24Mp X-trans sensor. Better IQ and more scope for cropping.
- Updated 23mm f/2 lens to match the sensor.
- Weather Sealing. Essential for a walkabout camera.
- Updated hybrid viewfinder. To match the X-Pro2. Optical zoom to match any add on lenses where appropriate.
- Tilt screen. For better low level/high level/street shooting.
- Proper 49/52mm filter thread not requiring an adapter.
- 21/24mm lens adaptors. Preferably with communication with the body to enable the relevant corrections.
- Macro adaptor to do the same.
- Decent panorama mode that works by pressing and releasing the shutter button. Sometimes I want just a bit wider rather than 120 degrees.
- No bigger!

Nick

Yeah better battery/power management.  I go through batteries like rolls of film with my S.

-- hide signature --

Xplate wrote:

xplate

Yes quite a list but most of it is already in the X-Pro2 so quite feasible.

Nick

historianx wrote:

PentaxNick wrote:

Another one:

Nick

Then they better boost battery life because GPS sucks power

True, but still useful. It could be switched off once the location has been set and stored, switching it back on when moving to a new location. Or use an external battery pack (also useful in freezing weather).

Nick

Mehran Khalili Forum Member • Posts: 99

Here’s my list of wants for the next-gen X100 series model. Of course this is based on how I shoot, so totally personal:

- Guts of the X-Pro2 (sensor, processor, menus, etc.). Meaning faster operation, better DN, high ISO, etc.

- ISO dial integrated into the shutter one (as X-Pro2).

- Focus switch as a lever on the camera front, like Fuji’s ILC cameras (the switch is dinky).

- Updated lens, as you said. Keep it 23mm/f2, to keep the size compact.

- Full compatibility with the lens adaptors. And yeah, I’d love a 24mm, but I think it would be massive (TCL is already unusually large).

- Same size.

- Better quality finish (weather sealing will add to the bulk, so it's less important for me.).

HowlinDawg Forum Member • Posts: 95

X-Pro2 features

ISO integrated into shutter speed dial

Joystick for AF point selection

Programmable Fn button in centre of viewfinder lever

Sensor

Firmware

Ability to use OVF or EVF, toggled on/off with eye sensor.

LCD off unless being used for review, menus or live view.

HowlinDawg's gear list:HowlinDawg's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-T2 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +10 more

Mehran Khalili wrote:

Here’s my list of wants for the next-gen X100 series model. Of course this is based on how I shoot, so totally personal:

- Guts of the X-Pro2 (sensor, processor, menus, etc.). Meaning faster operation, better DN, high ISO, etc.

- ISO dial integrated into the shutter one (as X-Pro2).

- Focus switch as a lever on the camera front, like Fuji’s ILC cameras (the switch is dinky).

- Updated lens, as you said. Keep it 23mm/f2, to keep the size compact.

- Full compatibility with the lens adaptors. And yeah, I’d love a 24mm, but I think it would be massive (TCL is already unusually large).

- Same size.

- Better quality finish (weather sealing will add to the bulk, so it's less important for me.).

Dual card slots.  Thank you.

-- hide signature --
Immanuel Regular Member • Posts: 129

My prioritised list after 7000+ shots on my X100T within 2½ months (the fantasy shutter counter says 10,300).
1) Weather sealing

2) The new sensor

3) A front control wheel

4) An option to set one or two of the control wheels to deal with one or two parameters without pressing a function button or going into the q-menu first.

5) The wheel should be able to control settings like ISO, shutter speed (the full range not just +/- 2/3 stops) and - most importantly - aperture. I really do NOT like the aperture ring on the X100T.

6) The auto-iso should be able to go to at least 1/500 of a second for daylight street photography, and please bring back the missing steps like 1/50 for low light situations. (I am puzzled why we have so many slooow options instead of faster options).

7) A bigger viewfinder

8) The joy stick looks handy.

9) I take a lot of pictures in unpredictable and highly variable low light scenarios (night life). It would be great to have softcaps on the speed in the auto-iso settings. Softcap 1 sets the absolute minimum shutter speed. Softcap 2 sets the maximum shutter speed before more aperture is added. Many times, I would prefer 1/80@f2.8 over 1/160@f2. But if I set the aperture to 2.8, the next shot might fire at 1/10 of a second.

10) I doubt this will happen, but IF a faster lens is introduced, I'd like to see a soft speed-cap on the aperture in the custom program settings. Again, in the same situations as above, I'd probably prefer f2@iso10,000 over f1.4@iso5.000.

If Fuji provides 1 through 6, I will pre-order. Otherwise, I might just wait and see what an eventual X200S will provide.

(edit: added a bigger viewfinder)

Immanuel's gear list:Immanuel's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
Resoman Regular Member • Posts: 213

Has anyone mentioned image stabilization? There have been times when I'd have appreciated it with my X100.

The X100t looks very nice, and my plan is to wait for the introduction of the new camera and decide then whether to get the new camera or a discounted X100t.

Spud0 Regular Member • Posts: 295

Weather sealing is pretty much the biggest thing I'd love to see.

I make my living on the seas - and in my free time I love to camp and travel. One of the major reasons I love Fuji cameras is because their small size makes them ideal for traveling and "packing light".

Being around the water or outdoors as much as I am - weather sealing is a huge plus.

I love the 16mp X-trans sensor so I'm ambivalent on upgrading the 24. I would however like to see a new lens. The current f2 is fine, but I'd like to see something a bit sharper wide open.

So in conclusion...

1. Weather sealed

2. New Lens

3. Incremental upgrade to the things like EVF, focus speed, etc. Without losing the form factor.

My X-E1 took a bad fall going through customs, so I might pick up an X70 to hold me over until the next X100_ comes out. Any idea when that is?

Spud0's gear list:Spud0's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
PeterFXCassidy Contributing Member • Posts: 749

Xplate wrote:

1. Cell Phone

and last but not least

PS.

6. $999 USD

All necessary stuff - but what do you do if the pizza gets cold?

Exactly.

7. Microwave oven.

PeterFXCassidy's gear list:PeterFXCassidy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix E900 Zoom Olympus TG-810 Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-M1 +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads