Please Mr Nikon, no video

Started Jan 13, 2016 | Discussions
Josh152 Senior Member • Posts: 2,094
Re: If it has live view, the video comes with it already.

G1Houston wrote:

seoulsurvivor wrote:

j_photo wrote:

It's the Df.

Or, just ignore the video record button on your camera.

I do ignore the video button. I have it remapped to ISO on my D750. My fear though is that if Nikon did produce a standard DSLR style body without video (not DF form factor) it would probably go for the same price or similar to a body with video. I would only entertain the idea of no video if there was a distinct price advantage or if it added a feature or two to replace the lack of video which would justify a high price.

It is already there, not a "costly add on" as you imagine. Taking it out to make a still only camera will only complicate production to increase the cost and you will then end up paying more for a niche product. Why do you think the Df costs so much more???

Well the Df is a triple niche product.  Not only does it not have video and only a 16mp sensor which these days  is a negative for most people if they arn't also getting like 10 fps in trade off,  but it has that Frankenstein retro on the front and top, contemporary on the back design  that appeals to far less people as well.  That's why it's so expensive compared to it's closest relative specs and features wise, the D610.

antoineb Veteran Member • Posts: 6,653
no: it cannot really AF while filming...

Yup, I know what the marketing literature says!

In real life however, firstly Nikon's contrast-detect engine is horribly behind the times (slow processing, no advanced ideas such as defocus measure a la Panasonic), and secondly Nikon have not thought about introducing phase-detection pixels on the imaging sensor.  So in practice, it can't really AF while filming.  There are tons of video samples on the web showing this, for any Nikon DSLR one choses to look at.

And that's before we mention the fact that most of the Nikon lenses were never meant to do video, and so when the cameras attempt to AF with them, this produces weird noises that get picked up by any on-board microphone.

Of course, a pro, with a dedicated rig, and using only MF, can indeed film with a Nikon DSLR.

Tugela wrote:

antoineb wrote:

- all this being said, I personally never use my DSLR for video. Why? Because it is heavy and because it can't AF while filming. For short family things I use my Smartphone.

Actually, it can autofocus while recording video.

antoineb's gear list:antoineb's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus TG-610 Nikon D7000 +5 more
DualSystemGuy Contributing Member • Posts: 622
Re: Please Mr Nikon, no video

I haven't had use for video on a DSLR either in all my years of shooting, but I can appreciate why some people like it. So, while I personally couldn't possibly care less about the video spec on new DSLRs, I can understand why some people are very interested in it.

Selfishly, I would be happier if the bodies didn't have video at all and cost slightly less, but that isn't realistic.

DualSystemGuy's gear list:DualSystemGuy's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Canon EOS-1D X Nikon D810 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Nikon D850
KSV Veteran Member • Posts: 3,351
Re: no: it cannot really AF while filming...

antoineb wrote:

Yup, I know what the marketing literature says!

In real life however, firstly Nikon's contrast-detect engine is horribly behind the times (slow processing, no advanced ideas such as defocus measure a la Panasonic), and secondly Nikon have not thought about introducing phase-detection pixels on the imaging sensor. So in practice, it can't really AF while filming. There are tons of video samples on the web showing this, for any Nikon DSLR one choses to look at.

And that's before we mention the fact that most of the Nikon lenses were never meant to do video, and so when the cameras attempt to AF with them, this produces weird noises that get picked up by any on-board microphone.

Of course, a pro, with a dedicated rig, and using only MF, can indeed film with a Nikon DSLR.

Tugela wrote:

antoineb wrote:

- all this being said, I personally never use my DSLR for video. Why? Because it is heavy and because it can't AF while filming. For short family things I use my Smartphone.

Actually, it can autofocus while recording video.

Give me a break! Now we have bastardize sensor even more and even start bastardizing lenses because of video that used by say it politely few "enthusiasts". If you after serious video buy dedicated video cam! If you after quickies any P&S Panasonic will do it with more convenience.

If you cannot live without video in still camera leave it for ML and leave DSLR alone - their very nature and their very ergonomics totally unsuitable for video. It would be disaster if they start to change ergonomics in DSLR for more convenient video shooting.

KSV's gear list:KSV's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +8 more
L Copps Senior Member • Posts: 1,608

If it makes everyone happy: Nikon has stated they are primarily a still photography company (one reason I chose Nikon).  They do include video on their cameras because a sizable portion of their customer base want it, or would consider it an inferior product without video.  They will never have video as good as Sony or Canon who consider video a major focus.

You can blame the Canon 5D Mark II for putting video on DSLRs.  It made quite a splash back then.

Personally, I do shoot video on my D750.  Having the ability to use my exceptional Nikon optics for video is a nice option to have. Beats a cellphone any day.

L Copps's gear list:L Copps's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
chuxter Forum Pro • Posts: 21,714

This sentence explains your dilemma:

"...if I had a FF body say with 24mp and the build quality of the old D700 or the later D8** models, but minus the video, I'd probably never part with it."

Nikon is in the business of selling us new cameras and lenses occasionally. They don't normally go down paths that result in TOTALLY satisfied customers! Every camera they have produced is intentionally a compromise.

chuxter's gear list:chuxter's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro (F004) Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +2 more
n3eg
n3eg Senior Member • Posts: 2,657
Please Mr DSLR Maker, no video

Nikon is already the no-video choice.  I remember when the Canon 5D MK II was being marketed for its video capabilities.  Nikon has never done anything similar.

Of course I wouldn't buy either one, because neither is serious about mirrorless...

-- hide signature --

It ain't easy being me, but someone's gotta do it.

n3eg's gear list:n3eg's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Kodak Pixpro S-1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +65 more
StIves Senior Member • Posts: 1,077

Huh? There's a substantial downside to having video functionality built into a DLSR or is this pure conjecture?

I would have thought that the only non-trivial cost would have been R&D spread out across multiple product lines (i.e. not big in terms of the cost of an individual camera, certainly not a couple of hundred per body). There would be trivial costs like video-specific controls which can probably remapped for other purposes, or maybe an extra button or two.

It's not like the ability to shoot video results in a bulkier body, worse still performance or lower reliability. Or am I missing something here?

The times I've tried shooting video on a DSLR can be counted on the fingers of one hand. I'm completely not interested in it, and prefer to whip out a pocket camera for this anyway. But not including video strikes me as crippling the functionality of a product for no real benefit and no real savings.

lanefAU
lanefAU Veteran Member • Posts: 6,348
Re: Video on DSLR is here to stay and used even by professionals.

Video on DSLR is here to stay and used even by professionals.

David Attenborough using DSLR cameras!

"The 3D time-lapse footage was captured using DSLR cameras, "configured on motion-controlled stepper, parallel, and mirror rigs," the team explains."

Movies Filmed with Canon and Nikon DSLR Cameras

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls059550382/

Movie tech: 5 great films made with DSLRs

Read more: http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/160377,movie-tech-5-great-films-made-with-dslrs.aspx#ixzz3xKVDT2JZ

lanefAU's gear list:lanefAU's gear list
Samsung Galaxy Note 5 Canon G1 X II Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +3 more
M Lammerse
M Lammerse Forum Pro • Posts: 11,458

seoulsurvivor wrote:

Yeah, for some reason and against all logic I can see such a camera coming at a premium, not at a discount.

Have you seen the sales figures of the Df lately?

Michel

Brandon birder Veteran Member • Posts: 4,333
Re: Please Mr Nikon, don't listen to him. I love my video!

seoulsurvivor wrote:

Yes, I'm sure you love your video and I can appreciate how it is a major plus for many, but at least give us a choice.....that's all I'm suggesting.

Not sure I understand this. You are willing to pay more for a camera with less features. Why not just have what Nikon offers and not use the features that you don't want?! Like most of us do.

Nikon gives you a choice of features which you can choose to use or not. Your choice will differ from my choice perhaps but so what? This way Nikon can appeal to more people which keeps the price down.

photowurks Regular Member • Posts: 449

NickZ2016 wrote:

How much extra are you willing to pay not to have video?

I'd like the OP to to answer the converse. How much of a discount should they get for a non-video dSLR from Nikon?

photowurks's gear list:photowurks's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM +3 more

Billy Ray Valentine wrote:

seoulsurvivor wrote:

j_photo wrote:

It's the Df.

Or, just ignore the video record button on your camera.

I do ignore the video button. I have it remapped to ISO on my D750. My fear though is that if Nikon did produce a standard DSLR style body without video (not DF form factor) it would probably go for the same price or similar to a body with video. I would only entertain the idea of no video if there was a distinct price advantage or if it added a feature or two to replace the lack of video which would justify a high price.

You are right on the $.

The video functionality is part of the Expeed chip-set. The cost is there whether they add the video button or not. Dropping video likely saves a few pennies per body to leave off the buttons.

Having the extra buttons for customizing for the purposes of still photography is better than no extra buttons at all.

Nikon D750 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM +3 more
Not false logic. Counterintuitive. (n/t)

No text.

cm71td Regular Member • Posts: 464

NickZ2016 wrote:

seoulsurvivor wrote:

Yeah, for some reason and against all logic I can see such a camera coming at a premium, not at a discount.

Actually, it would be perfectly logical.  Decreasing the market size for a product leads to smaller production runs, and a smaller recoup of engineering costs.

I'm curious about those who don't want video...  Is it the perceived extra cost that bothers you, or do you feel like you somehow have less of a stills camera because it has video?

Or is it just "Real photographers use cameras that don't shoot video"?

pforsell
pforsell Senior Member • Posts: 2,262
The choice is already there, by Nikon

seoulsurvivor wrote:

With the D800/D800e we had a choice of AA filter or not. In the D5 we have a choice of CF cards or XQD cards. Surely it wouldn't be that difficult to give us a video option.

Just like there's the options you describe above, there's also the video/no video option. Custom designed just for you, by Nikon. Perhaps it is too obvious? You have the option: press red button/don't press red button. See, you can have your cake and eat it too.

And you should paint the button all black, so that nobody will see it and make the mistake of thinking that you are using an inferior amateurish camera with video, instead of a hardcore-artist-no-BS-take-no-prisoners-I'm-as-cool-as-Annie-Leibovitz-stills-camera.

Yup, black paint adds to the street cred. Or maybe gray digital camo?

pforsell's gear list:pforsell's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D2X Nikon D3X Nikon D3S Nikon D4S +22 more
mlewan Senior Member • Posts: 1,350

cm71td wrote:

NickZ2016 wrote:

seoulsurvivor wrote:

Actually, it would be perfectly logical. Decreasing the market size for a product leads to smaller production runs, and a smaller recoup of engineering costs.

I'm curious about those who don't want video... Is it the perceived extra cost that bothers you, or do you feel like you somehow have less of a stills camera because it has video?

Or is it just "Real photographers use cameras that don't shoot video"?

It is perfectly logical to want to remove the video features. Without those features, the camera would have fewer buttons, fewer menu options, a thinner user guide, and it would be slightly simpler to both learn and use.

However, considering the cost of removing the features and the small amount of simplification, I consider it one of the world's minor issues.

There are bigger problems to worry about: http://www.gocomics.com/pearlsbeforeswine/2016/01/16

Alan Brown
Alan Brown Veteran Member • Posts: 5,655
In reality.. 'IF' such a camera came out it would...

simply be an existing camera with the video function removed from the any menu and any video related button removed from the body..

You might as well just buy what is already there and 'try not to push that button' or 'search the menus'

The Df may be such a camera...

-- hide signature --

There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.' :'!':

Alan Brown's gear list:Alan Brown's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Veloster75 Contributing Member • Posts: 755

My D810 just made me $150 last night because it does video. A local Bronze sculpture artist was giving a presentation and asked if I could film it. I did. The D810 did a great job too. Thank you Nikon for giving me the option to use video once in a while.

Veloster75's gear list:Veloster75's gear list
Nikon Z7 Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG HSM Art Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +10 more
clarnibass Senior Member • Posts: 2,115

seoulsurvivor wrote:

It's not against logic. It's completely logical that a camera like this without video would cost more, for both manufacturing and market reasons.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads