Please Mr Nikon, no video

Started Jan 13, 2016 | Discussions
seoulsurvivor Regular Member • Posts: 481
Please Mr Nikon, no video

This will put the cat amongst the pigeons. There is no doubt that the latest products to be announced, the D5 and D500 look to be great cameras.........on paper at least, and I'm sure they'll sell well to their intended market. Well done, Nikon!

But with all the latest features and enhancements that accompany these new products which no doubt evolve as a result of market feedback, I wonder if we will ever see a camera in the future which lacks video and is aimed squarely at the stills photographer. Think about the amazingly popular (and still is an all time favorite of many) D700.

I for one have never used the video component of my cameras and I guarantee I never will in the future. Video just doesn't interest me at all. Surely I'm not alone in this boat. Yes, yes, I know Nikon is not going to build a camera just for me and I know some will say that it's better to have it available if ever you need it. I get all that. But many users are paying for a feature that they will never use and I would love to see a quality product slipped into the product range which gives consumers a choice between video or no video. With the D800/D800e we had a choice of AA filter or not. In the D5 we have a choice of CF cards or XQD cards. Surely it wouldn't be that difficult to give us a video option.

Personally, if I had a FF body say with 24mp and the build quality of the old D700 or the later D8** models, but minus the video, I'd probably never part with it. Surely there must be a huge market for such a camera based around thousands upon thousands of users who never use and never intend to use the video component.

I'm sure it will never happen because camera production has much to do with keeping up with or staying ahead of the opposition and it would probably require Nikon to go out on a limb and take a huge gamble with such a product. A product sans video to me would be all about getting back to basics, but at a higher level. I may be totally wrong, but I would venture to say that many of the pro sports shooters or photo journos who simply want quality images at a super high frame rate, rarely if ever use the video function and would love to see a product simply aimed at stills photography if it came at a reduced price.

No doubt many readers will come back to me telling me they use their video all the time and I have no idea what I'm talking about. Fair enough, but I'd like to see what non video users have to say and what they would like to see in their future non video FF body.

Cheers

seoulsurvivor's gear list:seoulsurvivor's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D810 Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +4 more
Nikon D5 Nikon D500 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
NickZ2016 Contributing Member • Posts: 915
Re: Please Mr Nikon, no video

How much extra are you willing to pay not to have video?

NickZ2016's gear list:NickZ2016's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G +4 more
OP seoulsurvivor Regular Member • Posts: 481

Yeah, for some reason and against all logic I can see such a camera coming at a premium, not at a discount.

Nikon D700 Nikon D810 Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +4 more
jtra Contributing Member • Posts: 950

I would gladly get camera without video if I could gain something useful in exchange.

Gimme global shutter (to improve usefulness of external flash outdoors), gimme really programmable camera (where programming is endorsed by Nikon, not through hacks), gimme ovf/evf hybrid (with variations of evf magnified/split magnified/peeking to get perfect manual focus).

While I prefer to take videos with my phone (LG G4 has even 4K video capability) because I can move it away from my face, I rarely want to use DSLR for video (say with 70-300 lens which gives me ability that phone does not or with f/1.4 lenses for some background separation or low light).

Hippo Graius Forum Member • Posts: 94
Please Mr Nikon, don't listen to him. I love my video!

No text.

Re: Please Mr Nikon, don't listen to him. I love my video!

Yes, I'm sure you love your video and I can appreciate how it is a major plus for many, but at least give us a choice.....that's all I'm suggesting.

thelenspainter Senior Member • Posts: 1,894

Nikon: "We already haver a low-MP, no-video camera for you: the amazing Df! You're welcome!"

thelenspainter's gear list:thelenspainter's gear list
Leica TL2 Leica T 55-135mm F3.5-4.5 Leica Summilux-TL 35mm F1.4 ASPH Leica TL 18mm F2.8 +1 more
j_photo Veteran Member • Posts: 4,018

It's the Df.

Or, just ignore the video record button on your camera.

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6
tektrader Senior Member • Posts: 1,750

seoulsurvivor wrote:

Yes, I'm sure you love your video and I can appreciate how it is a major plus for many, but at least give us a choice.....that's all I'm suggesting.

Don't you already have a choice not to use it ?

Leave it off and Nikon restricts its customer base. Nikon would then have to make 2 products to address the market.... Seems pretty straight forward.......Include it...

Add it in and those that don't want it, don't use it.

If you don't ever want to see it, maybe what they should do is include a "HIDE" option so that all the video features disappear.....

tektrader's gear list:tektrader's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR Nikon Z7 Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +1 more
olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 26,552

seoulsurvivor wrote:

You HAVE a choice. In fact, several choices.

1. Buy another brand, without video.

2. Buy a DF

3. Pure and simple... don't use it.

There are quite a few features in my cameras which I don't need or use and definitely could live a whole life without those features and I solved that problem through NEVER using those features.

olyflyer's gear list:olyflyer's gear list
Nikon Z7
Andrew 3 Contributing Member • Posts: 663

Sorry but for many reasons I strongly disagree with you.  Do you honestly think video is disproportionally more expensive to develop and maintain than stills alone when the underlying technology is virtually the same?  I own a D750 and D810 specifically because they do support video, damn good video.  When I was deciding between the D810 and DF guess which one got dropped and why.  If Nikon didn't have video offerings Canon (or some other company) would likely be getting my business and resulting margin.  Would you rather Nikon get the margin from my purchases to improve the technology you get for stills or not?  Nikon has to evolve and stay competitive and I don't think you realize the impact of what you'd like to see.  If you don't need it or use it ignore that it's there.

Andrew 3's gear list:Andrew 3's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +3 more

j_photo wrote:

It's the Df.

I do ignore the video button. I have it remapped to ISO on my D750. My fear though is that if Nikon did produce a standard DSLR style body without video (not DF form factor) it would probably go for the same price or similar to a body with video. I would only entertain the idea of no video if there was a distinct price advantage or if it added a feature or two to replace the lack of video which would justify a high price.

avalvo Senior Member • Posts: 1,051

I feel the same. This is why I am still shooting my D3x.
Anthony

Digital Shutterbug Veteran Member • Posts: 3,907

I've never seen anyone ask for all cameras to be built without video. But when anyone asks for a model or two without video, the video users immediately jump up and start screaming as if you are going to deny them of any camera that includes video.

You video fans have countless models that include video. Why are you so adamant that all cameras include video capability? We aren't saying you have to buy a camera with no video. Why do you insist we buy one with video and just not use it?

The Df is a wonderful camera. I love mine. But it wouldn't handicap you if Nikon was to produce another model without video. Just don't buy it if it doesn't suit your needs.

paulski66
paulski66 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,417

seoulsurvivor wrote:

.... Surely I'm not alone in this boat. ...

Cheers

Don't call me Shirley...

paulski66's gear list:paulski66's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +2 more

Andrew 3 wrote:

Sorry but for many reasons I strongly disagree with you. Do you honestly think video is disproportionally more expensive to develop and maintain than stills alone when the underlying technology is virtually the same? I own a D750 and D810 specifically because they do support video, damn good video. When I was deciding between the D810 and DF guess which one got dropped and why. If Nikon didn't have video offerings Canon (or some other company) would likely be getting my business and resulting margin. Would you rather Nikon get the margin from my purchases to improve the technology you get for stills or not? Nikon has to evolve and stay competitive and I don't think you realize the impact of what you'd like to see. If you don't need it or use it ignore that it's there.

Hi Andrew.

Understand your point. Perhaps though I should simply ask the question: If Nikon made a pro build (D700/D8**) camera, and if it offered 24mp or more, and if it came in at around $200-$300 less than a video enabled version or it came in at the same price by including a couple of new features...........who would buy it?

I know I would.

Billy Ray Valentine
Billy Ray Valentine Senior Member • Posts: 1,251
You have a choice...

seoulsurvivor wrote:

...don't use the video function!

No video is a pipe dream, it needs to be a feature to check boxes for sheepeople.

Billy Ray Valentine's gear list:Billy Ray Valentine's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +7 more
Randy Z Senior Member • Posts: 2,560
Just look at it as 30fps stills!

Actually, some of the screen grabs I get from my videos are amazing!

-- hide signature --

Z-Man

Billy Ray Valentine
Billy Ray Valentine Senior Member • Posts: 1,251

seoulsurvivor wrote:

j_photo wrote:

It's the Df.

I do ignore the video button. I have it remapped to ISO on my D750. My fear though is that if Nikon did produce a standard DSLR style body without video (not DF form factor) it would probably go for the same price or similar to a body with video. I would only entertain the idea of no video if there was a distinct price advantage or if it added a feature or two to replace the lack of video which would justify a high price.

You are right on the $.

The video functionality is part of the Expeed chip-set.   The cost is there whether they add the video button or not.   Dropping video likely saves a few pennies per body to leave off the buttons.

Billy Ray Valentine's gear list:Billy Ray Valentine's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +7 more
talmy
talmy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,320
Video is negligible added cost

Which is why you see it in even the lowest cost cameras. I'd also expect that leaving out the video capability would also mean no live view, which I consider essential these days for critical focusing.

The Depth of Field Preview button feature is what should be eliminated. Its worthless.

-- hide signature --

Equipment in my User Profile.

talmy's gear list:talmy's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D200 +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads