Sony NP-FW50 Two different types

Started Jan 13, 2016 | Discussions
Nivedita Contributing Member • Posts: 659
Sony NP-FW50 Two different types

Recently I got the Sony NP-FW50 batteries from B&H (they call it as frustration free packaging). It seems different than the Sony NP-FW50 batteries came with my Sony A7RII camera. I am having a hard time figuring out which one was the one came with my Sony A7RII.

The differences are:

1) One of them is Made in Japan and other one is Made in China

2) The MIJ version shows 77Wh (1080mAh), but at the bottom it is written again that 7.2V 1020mAh.

3) It seems the MIJ version is slightly heavier.

Images are shown below

Anyone noticed these two different version of Sony NP-FW50 batteries?

-Nivedita

Nivedita's gear list:Nivedita's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Phase One Capture One Pro
Aerick Junior Member • Posts: 34
Re: Sony NP-FW50 Two different types

Have you noticed any difference in battery life?

My A7RII and a6000 both came with the made in China batteries (3).

Aerick's gear list:Aerick's gear list
Sony a7R Sony a7R III Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA Zeiss Loxia 50 +5 more
osv Veteran Member • Posts: 9,970

fwiw, the battery i got with my a7r over two years ago says made in japan.

not sure that i'd want to pay the sony premium for chinese batteries, the wasabi batteries are much cheaper.

-- hide signature --

dan

jan pawlak Contributing Member • Posts: 713

Europe version

-- hide signature --
 jan pawlak's gear list:jan pawlak's gear list
Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +1 more
andrewD2
andrewD2 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,506

The MIJ ones are heavier, they came with my Nex 5R and Nex 6, got two of the MIC ones with the A7RII. Can't compare fairly because the MIJ ones are older and have had a lot more use.
Andrew

ijustloveshooting
ijustloveshooting Veteran Member • Posts: 3,001
there're three different types i could see

ones from old times, lets say from nex cameras,,,best ones...they're heavy, made in japan and still lasts longer then brand FW50s from china.

2  new ones, one with white background like you showed, and one with black background white typings....white backgroundeds are from first A6000 series, then they changed to black colored background...they're same, i couldnt observe differences for capacity.

ijustloveshooting's gear list:ijustloveshooting's gear list
Fujifilm X-A1 Sony a7 II Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +10 more
muvovum
muvovum Regular Member • Posts: 469

on the left, the one that came with the camera MIJ, on the right, one that I got later MIC (both in europe)

the MIC (right) also has a holo sticker which shows Sony, an L and what seems a serial or part number.

I got a pack with 2 batteries recently, they are also MIC and look exactly the same as the MIC one from this photo.

muvovum's gear list:muvovum's gear list
Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +2 more
OP Nivedita Contributing Member • Posts: 659

The MIJ version is the bulk packaging type that I bought separately. B&H does not sell them anymore. According to Brian Smith, they were actually for Hasselblad Lunar.

In the next few days, I will share the experience on the charge life.

-Nivedita

Nivedita's gear list:Nivedita's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Phase One Capture One Pro
daMatrix Contributing Member • Posts: 883

The old 'MIJ' are 57 gram, the new made in China are 41 grams.

Hahnels version of this batty weights 43 gram.

Since these bateries are a mix of old and new I cannot test them either.

What I do know is that Lithium Ion batteries have a build in protection against overheating.  While the battery stays the same this 'security valve' could have been upgraded.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads