olympus 75-300 lens for birds

Started Jan 12, 2016 | Discussions
Phocal
Phocal Senior Member • Posts: 2,518
Re: some comments on your photos and advice
1

Joanel wrote:

here is the last one edited a bit in elements , they all seem to get softer when posted.the edited one is cropped and may be softer due to that as well. will wait for a sunny day - if we get one - to try again before I post any more. thanks for all the help. comments still appreciated. I know tripod would be better maybe but want something that can do hand held if possible and is light to carry. and in jpeg mostly. (anyone have the canon sx50 and compared this to that???)

edited but not cropped

original

edited

Part of the problem is you have not exposed the bird properly.  I see you dialed in -1/3 EV but you really need more then that.  I have found that when photographing white birds -2/3 EV and even higher is needed. In really bright light even up to -2 EV is needed.

-1 EV and still the highlights are close to be blown if not slightly (which is where I try to land depending on conditions).

-2 EV on this shot

Go to the zoo to try testing things out, it is my favorite place to test new lenses and such.  For me the Flamingos are the perfect test subject.  I can get close to them and there is nothing blocking the view to them.  Perfect test photo subjects with lots of detail.

 Phocal's gear list:Phocal's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 150mm 1:2.0 Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +6 more
Astrotripper Veteran Member • Posts: 6,730
Re: some comments on your photos and advice

Astrotripper wrote:

 I'll try digging out some samples from my archive to see how it really did.

Well, looks like I won't have much to offer in terms of sample photos. Since I was shooting airplanes with that lens, all the shots have varying degrees of motion blur and those at 300mm are heavily affected by air turbulence and haze. This is the best I got, at around 200mm, but I see others have offered some better samples already.

From RAW file, no noise reduction at all, and just a tiny bit of local contrast boost, instead of normal sharpening

 Astrotripper's gear list:Astrotripper's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M1 II +17 more
Ken Gosden Senior Member • Posts: 2,720
Re: olympus 75-300 lens for birds

Tried to run a test of differences in the noise reduction settings, but the light was changing too much to day.  The only subject I found that would sit still outside was a tree about 40 feet away.  Not as much difference as I expected.

all 100% crops at ISO 1600

Pprobably a better sample ISO 800 NR off about 25 feet away.

 Ken Gosden's gear list:Ken Gosden's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II +21 more
Gary from Seattle Senior Member • Posts: 3,279
Re: some comments on your photos and advice

Joanel wrote:

I have till Jan31st to return the lens. home the 22nd to take care of this.

Nothing wrong with the lens. Some of your shots are quite sharp, as sharp as other's examples. It sounds like you are still not using a tripod "sort of".

I think pics with the shorter lens are ok. see attached. not edited or anything. hard to get sharp head of anhinga! since so narrow

 Gary from Seattle's gear list:Gary from Seattle's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +1 more
Jan Krux Regular Member • Posts: 405
Re: olympus 75-300 lens for birds

The 75-300 needs practice to use IMO. It's a very light combo, and you need to learn to be "gentle" with the shots.

Results can be pretty good though. Lots more in my gallery.

really stunning shots Martin!
congratulations!
Jan

 Jan Krux's gear list:Jan Krux's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +8 more
ozuiko New Member • Posts: 10
Re: olympus 75-300 lens for birds

Tried 70-300mm in a recent visit to Long Beach Aquarium. Here are few Lorikeets handheld shots at around 200mm ... IMO, anyhting between 250 to 300 mm needs some level of practice for handheld especially when birds are moving.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ozuiko/23816029083/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ozuiko/24416601486

-
ozuiko
www.flickr.com/ozuiko

OP Joanel Contributing Member • Posts: 995
Re: some comments on your photos and advice

Digital Dick wrote:

The camera and the lens are fine. You just missed the focusing on the bird and instead placed the focus on the branches to the left of the bird. If you are using the smallest center focus box to focus on the bird (say in S-AF) press the shutter half way down and hold it to lock the focus on the bird then recompose the scene to put the bird where you want in the frame then press the shutter button down the rest of the way to take the image. The camera's auto focus box needs to be placed on a contrasty vertical line to get an accurate focus. Any twigs covering the front of the bird or vertical branches within the focus box but just in front of or just behind the bird can present a better target than the bird for the auto focus to lock on. I try to place the smallest focus box on the eye or head of the bird and make sure there aren't twigs also in inside the focus box. That should give you the bird in focus and the twigs slightly out of focus.

Dick

pretty much thought that was what i was doing.  but maybe not.

 Joanel's gear list:Joanel's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony a77 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH +5 more
OP Joanel Contributing Member • Posts: 995
Re: olympus 75-300 lens for birds

how come standard is SO different than all the others? darker.  seems strange.

 Joanel's gear list:Joanel's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony a77 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH +5 more
OP Joanel Contributing Member • Posts: 995
Re: olympus 75-300 lens for birds

ozuiko wrote:

Tried 70-300mm in a recent visit to Long Beach Aquarium. Here are few Lorikeets handheld shots at around 200mm ... IMO, anyhting between 250 to 300 mm needs some level of practice for handheld especially when birds are moving.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ozuiko/23816029083/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ozuiko/24416601486

-
ozuiko
www.flickr.com/ozuiko

have to sign in to see.  password is home. and also says adult content???

 Joanel's gear list:Joanel's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony a77 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH +5 more
OP Joanel Contributing Member • Posts: 995
Re: some comments on your photos and advice

Gary from Seattle wrote:

Joanel wrote:

I have till Jan31st to return the lens. home the 22nd to take care of this.

Nothing wrong with the lens. Some of your shots are quite sharp, as sharp as other's examples. It sounds like you are still not using a tripod "sort of".

I think pics with the shorter lens are ok. see attached. not edited or anything. hard to get sharp head of anhinga! since so narrow

if these are the ones below that you think are sharp they are with the 14-150 lens.  it is the longer lens ones in a different post previous to this that I am concerned with.

 Joanel's gear list:Joanel's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony a77 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH +5 more
ozuiko New Member • Posts: 10
Re: olympus 75-300 lens for birds

Oops forgot to set the restriction to safe for viewing...I believe the default is to have restricted.. Try to access the images..
--
ozuiko

www.flickr.com/ozuiko

OP Joanel Contributing Member • Posts: 995
Re: some comments on your photos and advice

Phocal wrote:

Joanel wrote:

here is the last one edited a bit in elements , they all seem to get softer when posted.the edited one is cropped and may be softer due to that as well. will wait for a sunny day - if we get one - to try again before I post any more. thanks for all the help. comments still appreciated. I know tripod would be better maybe but want something that can do hand held if possible and is light to carry. and in jpeg mostly. (anyone have the canon sx50 and compared this to that???)

edited but not cropped

original

edited

Part of the problem is you have not exposed the bird properly. I see you dialed in -1/3 EV but you really need more then that. I have found that when photographing white birds -2/3 EV and even higher is needed. In really bright light even up to -2 EV is needed.

-1 EV and still the highlights are close to be blown if not slightly (which is where I try to land depending on conditions).

-2 EV on this shot

Go to the zoo to try testing things out, it is my favorite place to test new lenses and such. For me the Flamingos are the perfect test subject. I can get close to them and there is nothing blocking the view to them. Perfect test photo subjects with lots of detail.

yes I know they could be minus more stops.  it is the sharpness rather than the details in the whites that I am concerned with.  also no flamingoes at the zoos in Mass.  too cold. and some of them close for the winter.

 Joanel's gear list:Joanel's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony a77 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH +5 more
webber15 Senior Member • Posts: 1,555
Re: olympus 75-300 lens for birds

Joanel...there really isn't anything wrong with the 75-300 f6.7...at maximum focal length I still found it sharp,,less contrast but the detail still there (in good light)...

Dave...

 webber15's gear list:webber15's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR
OP Joanel Contributing Member • Posts: 995
Re: Some birding today

Phocal wrote:

dv312 wrote:

in rainy and gloomy weather

Your shots of the Snowy seriously blew the highlights. Why would you dial in positive EV when shooting a white bird? Typically in those situations the camera would be over exposing already and would need negative EV to the detail back in to the whites.

EV is on a different wheel on this camera then all my others cameras.  have to change it. same with the F stop is reversed from what  I am used to.

 Joanel's gear list:Joanel's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony a77 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH +5 more
Ken Gosden Senior Member • Posts: 2,720
Re: olympus 75-300 lens for birds

Joanel wrote:

how come standard is SO different than all the others? darker. seems strange.

I was in manual mode and the light was changing quickly.   I was more concerned with keeping the shutter speed and aperture the same for all of them.

 Ken Gosden's gear list:Ken Gosden's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II +21 more
Ken Gosden Senior Member • Posts: 2,720
Re: Some birding today

Joanel wrote:

Phocal wrote:

dv312 wrote:

in rainy and gloomy weather

Your shots of the Snowy seriously blew the highlights. Why would you dial in positive EV when shooting a white bird? Typically in those situations the camera would be over exposing already and would need negative EV to the detail back in to the whites.

EV is on a different wheel on this camera then all my others cameras. have to change it. same with the F stop is reversed from what I am used to.

The EM-1 is pretty flexible as to what can be assigned to the control dials.   You can probably get it set pretty similarly.

 Ken Gosden's gear list:Ken Gosden's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II +21 more
Phocal
Phocal Senior Member • Posts: 2,518
Re: some comments on your photos and advice

Joanel wrote:

yes I know they could be minus more stops. it is the sharpness rather than the details in the whites that I am concerned with. also no flamingoes at the zoos in Mass. too cold. and some of them close for the winter.

But you show a photograph of a white bird and ask about sharpness.  Hard to see if any of the bird is in focus when all the detail is blown out.  I would assume you placed the focus point on the eye but you cannot tell that by the photo.

Do not have to photograph flamingoes, was just giving an example.  Any zoo animals that do not move much and you can photograph without shooting thru wire or glass are good test subjects for stuff like this.  Did not know your location or local zoo situation.  If no zoo is open, can always set up a stuffed animal in good sun.  Anything that has a lot of detail and not perfectly flat will work as a test subject.

 Phocal's gear list:Phocal's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 150mm 1:2.0 Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +6 more
webber15 Senior Member • Posts: 1,555
Re: Some birding today

It seems as if the op is inexperienced with the subjects and the gear being used...if the oly 75-300 doesn't do what to op needs...move to som that does work...

Dave...

 webber15's gear list:webber15's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR
OP Joanel Contributing Member • Posts: 995
Re: Some birding today

webber15 wrote:

It seems as if the op is inexperienced with the subjects and the gear being used...if the oly 75-300 doesn't do what to op needs...move to som that does work...

Dave...

inexperienced with the gear but not the subjects.  trying to go lighter with my gear if possible.  what does "som" mean?

 Joanel's gear list:Joanel's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony a77 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH +5 more
OP Joanel Contributing Member • Posts: 995
Re: olympus 75-300 lens for birds

webber15 wrote:

Joanel...there really isn't anything wrong with the 75-300 f6.7...at maximum focal length I still found it sharp,,less contrast but the detail still there (in good light)...

Dave...

what images are your referring to?  something you have taken in general or something posted here?

 Joanel's gear list:Joanel's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony a77 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads