What cameras have built-in GPS or the ability to geotag images in other ways?

Started Jan 12, 2016 | Questions
pokho New Member • Posts: 4
What cameras have built-in GPS or the ability to geotag images in other ways?

Hi guys

I have created this Wikipedia list to try get an overview of which cameras are able to geotag their captures. I would greatly appreciate some input, especially regarding high-end dslrs or similar camera gear.

The list is here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cameras_which_provide_geotagging

Thanks

Paul

ANSWER:
Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 17,427
Re: What cameras have built-in GPS or the ability to geotag images in other ways?

pokho wrote:

Hi guys

I have created this Wikipedia list to try get an overview of which cameras are able to geotag their captures. I would greatly appreciate some input, especially regarding high-end dslrs or similar camera gear.

The list is here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cameras_which_provide_geotagging

Thanks

Paul

Go to the Cameras menu at the top of the page and click on Camera Features Search.  Then click on Connectivity and GPS will come up as a feature, either built in or an option.

That will tell you every camera, current and discontinued, with GPS.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +3 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
NearerNirvana
NearerNirvana Senior Member • Posts: 1,611
Re: What cameras have built-in GPS or the ability to geotag images in other ways?

I know you can fit a gps adapter to any Nikon with a 10 pin port, eg D90, D200, D300, D700, D3, D4, etc

beagle1 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,737

pokho wrote:

Hi guys

Thanks

Paul

you can get a GPS receiver for Canon DSLR cameras

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/847538-REG/Canon_6363B001_GPS_Receiver_GP_E2.html

thmpick New Member • Posts: 1

Say Chief, you forgot to add Canon 70D to your list. I've looking to buy an older one with only 158 clicks on it, it has built in GPS..... Thought you might want to maybe add into the list....Come to think of it, Canon 7D Mark ll also has built in GPS..... probably several more .....

Best

sirhawkeye64 Senior Member • Posts: 1,370

pokho wrote:

Hi guys

Thanks

Paul

Some cameras have it built-in, but most can still geotag or utilize an add-on GPS device.  I know Nikon has a GPS unit for all of their DSLRs that don't offer GPS built-in to the camera body.

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
M Stewart Contributing Member • Posts: 550

Hi Paul,

Sorry for the late response.

I have two cameras with built-in GPS; a Canon 7D Mk II and a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ20. I bought the Canon 7D Mk II first and it not only has GPS, but also a built-in electronic compass, so with suitable software such as GeoSetter I can see not only where I've been but also where my camera was pointing, as well as the angle of view of the photo.

I bought the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ20 later hoping to get similar functionality in a compact. No way; it's very slow to acquire satellites, and is very happy to annotate your new images with where it was when last used - weeks ago... OTOH the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ20 has a list of geographical places, points of interest etc. which are not offered on the 7D Mk II.

I've recently trawled through Canon's data, and it seems that I was lucky with my 7D Mk II purchase - it covers my needs well.  At the moment, I haven't found a more recent model, in the 5D range, offering me a built-in compass - and I now consider that essential for my usage.  I wonder if the rumoured 6D Mk II will offer a compass?

-- hide signature --

M. Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

M Stewart's gear list:M Stewart's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 Canon EF 35mm F2.0 +15 more

M Stewart wrote:

Hi Paul,

Sorry for the late response.

I have two cameras with built-in GPS; a Canon 7D Mk II and a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ20. I bought the Canon 7D Mk II first and it not only has GPS, but also a built-in electronic compass, so with suitable software such as GeoSetter I can see not only where I've been but also where my camera was pointing, as well as the angle of view of the photo.

I bought the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ20 later hoping to get similar functionality in a compact. No way; it's very slow to acquire satellites, and is very happy to annotate your new images with where it was when last used - weeks ago... OTOH the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ20 has a list of geographical places, points of interest etc. which are not offered on the 7D Mk II.

I've recently trawled through Canon's data, and it seems that I was lucky with my 7D Mk II purchase - it covers my needs well. At the moment, I haven't found a more recent model, in the 5D range, offering me a built-in compass - and I now consider that essential for my usage. I wonder if the rumoured 6D Mk II will offer a compass?

-- hide signature --

M. Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

I know this thread is getting a bit old, but partially for security reasons, I like to manually personally geotag in LR.  (I know you can always remove geotagging after the fact, but I'd rather add it to a few photos than have to remove it from dozens of photos manually or in LR).

Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
robert1955 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,303

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

I know this thread is getting a bit old, but partially for security reasons, I like to manually personally geotag in LR. (I know you can always remove geotagging after the fact, but I'd rather add it to a few photos than have to remove it from dozens of photos manually or in LR).

I'd always use a copy for sharing, which means I'll export photos from Lr. You can have an export preset that removes metadata.

For my use case [trekking] trying to locate the correct point on the map is not really feasible anyway

robert1955's gear list:robert1955's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E3

robert1955 wrote:

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

I know this thread is getting a bit old, but partially for security reasons, I like to manually personally geotag in LR. (I know you can always remove geotagging after the fact, but I'd rather add it to a few photos than have to remove it from dozens of photos manually or in LR).

I'd always use a copy for sharing, which means I'll export photos from Lr. You can have an export preset that removes metadata.

For my use case [trekking] trying to locate the correct point on the map is not really feasible anyway

Yeah I know I can have a preset remove the geotag data.  I guess really it's probably faster to have a preset remove it than have to add it later (especially if you have a lot of images from various places).

John Vedsegaard New Member • Posts: 1

The list is not complete,  as my SONY A65V has Build in GPS.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads