Great Lens, Just One Thing Wrong...

Started Jan 10, 2016 | User reviews
NikonD5000kid
NikonD5000kid Forum Member • Posts: 59
Great Lens, Just One Thing Wrong...

The reason I gave this lens 4 stars is because the filter mount. With the lens hood, whenever I take it on or off, it feels like the filter thread is going to break off. Other than that, this lens has great image quality, great construction, and very little distortion.

PROS:

Great Image Quality

Great Build Quality

Very Little Distortion

Gets You Very Sharp Images

CONS:

Filter Mount Feels Cheap

Lens Barrel Rattles

Discontinued

CONCLUSION:

Great lens all around, but if you are going to take the lens hood off and put it back on a million times, this is not for you.

NikonD5000kid's gear list:NikonD5000kid's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX170 IS Nikon D90 Nikon D5000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +1 more
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF
Zoom lens • Nikon F (DX)
Announced: Jan 28, 2004
NikonD5000kid's score
Average community score
Parry Johnson Senior Member • Posts: 1,032
Re: Great Lens, Just One Thing Wrong...

My Nikkor 28-105D lens has the same issue -- the front ring with the filter thread is wobbly.  I took it back, asked to see others, and they all seem to be the same -- just a design flaw, and I just learned to accept it and trust that the lens wasn't going to fall apart.  Now, 17 years later, it's the same wobbly (but excellent) lens it's always been!

Parry Johnson's gear list:Parry Johnson's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7100 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +18 more
carauction Veteran Member • Posts: 6,646

Ya know, in its day the 18-70 was a great lens. Back when paired with the D50/70. However over time , ever since pixel count has quadrupled along with the appearance of the newer G lenses, this once great lens started losing its pizzazz.

I went through a few of them from the D7000 onward, and simply felt that the lens could not cut the mustard any longer when paired with the newer sensors.

Don't get me wrong, a great lens indeed...just past it's prime.

Juts my opinion,

Mike

NikonD5000kid
OP NikonD5000kid Forum Member • Posts: 59

Thanks! I thought it was only the lenses that have been banged on the wall a few times (like mine).

NikonD5000kid's gear list:NikonD5000kid's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX170 IS Nikon D90 Nikon D5000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +1 more
qunamax
qunamax Contributing Member • Posts: 955

Great lens that can be found very cheap nowdays, it's a class better than the 18-55s or even 18-105.

Very good built quality, it looks like it means business. I haven't noticed the woobly part.

It's sharp on D7000 and have a class better bokeh than the similar modern kit offerings.

It also has a focus scale.

qunamax's gear list:qunamax's gear list
Nikon D40 Nikon D610 Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +1 more
Janoch
Janoch Veteran Member • Posts: 3,890

Yeah, loved that little lens!

If you're looking for a cheap update, a second-hand 16-85mm will make you happy too!

http://www.bythom.com/Nikkor16-85lensreview.htm

Janoch's gear list:Janoch's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +2 more
qunamax

Oh and the f4.5 on the long end where it's quite usable as casual portrait lens.
How's the bokeh on 16-85vr? I heard it's busy...

Nikon D40 Nikon D610 Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +1 more
Janoch
Janoch Veteran Member • Posts: 3,890

Back then, I was mostly shooting landscapes and nightscenes at the harbour, like oil rigs etc. so never noticed anything that troubled me.

But YMMV, as they say!

I sold mine to a friend some years ago, and it hasn't left his camera ever since. Good range and a very good VR. Should be rather cheap(ish) these days....

Janoch's gear list:Janoch's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +2 more
qunamax

Janoch wrote:

Back then, I was mostly shooting landscapes and nightscenes at the harbour, like oil rigs etc. so never noticed anything that troubled me.

But YMMV, as they say!

I sold mine to a friend some years ago, and it hasn't left his camera ever since. Good range and a very good VR. Should be rather cheap(ish) these days....

I was just looking at the second hand market, they run about 250-280e here. But i'm still leaning towards the tamron 17-50 because it's f2.8.

qunamax wrote:

I was just looking at the second hand market, they run about 250-280e here. But i'm still leaning towards the tamron 17-50 because it's f2.8.

I'm currently using the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 VC on my DX bodies.  It's not quite as sharp as the older non-VC version, but the vibration control more than makes up for it.  Recent 24MP bodies like my D7100 will push the limit a bit, but still better than other kit lenses.

Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7100 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +18 more
qunamax

Parry Johnson wrote:

qunamax wrote:

I'm currently using the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 VC on my DX bodies. It's not quite as sharp as the older non-VC version, but the vibration control more than makes up for it. Recent 24MP bodies like my D7100 will push the limit a bit, but still better than other kit lenses.

Yeah it's a common report, I'll probably get a non-VC model, it's cheaper and I lived so far without stabilization on midrange zoom.
Also considering Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5 hsm macro since it fits my pocket brand new and has a better range, but slower on the longer end. Not sure about the overall IQ compared to tamron, got to investigate.

qunamax wrote:

Parry Johnson wrote:

qunamax wrote:

I'm currently using the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 VC on my DX bodies. It's not quite as sharp as the older non-VC version, but the vibration control more than makes up for it. Recent 24MP bodies like my D7100 will push the limit a bit, but still better than other kit lenses.

Yeah it's a common report, I'll probably get a non-VC model, it's cheaper and I lived so far without stabilization on midrange zoom.
Also considering Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5 hsm macro since it fits my pocket brand new and has a better range, but slower on the longer end. Not sure about the overall IQ compared to tamron, got to investigate.

I did some extensive tests at the store with several lenses when I was first deciding which one to buy for my D200 back in 2006 before I bought the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 (non-VC, non built-in motor).  The Sigma 17-70 (non-OS at the time) was the runner-up in my choices.  It was just as sharp except wide open, with a little warmer colours (which I liked) but only f2.8 at 17-24mm, which was not where I wanted it for portraits.  The extra reach would have been nice, but not significantly more than 50mm -- I crop a bit when necessary.

By the way, my Tamron was made in China, not Japan like my friend's lens, and mine was sharper.  However, I did have to send mine back twice during the 5-year warranty period because it simply seized up.  His was okay.  Tamron Canada got the repair right the second time, as it lasted an extra three or four years before I finally replaced it with the VC version.  The Ebay purchaser got a really good deal at $175, I think.

ciaran33 Regular Member • Posts: 488

My 18-70 saw me through a D70, D200 and my current D7000. I've recently replaced it with an 18-140 that I like a lot, I feel it may be sharper than the 18-70.(I don't know how it would be an a 24mp cam.) The only issue I had with the 18-70 was the zoom ring was getting tighter, and happily the lens hood and filter fit the 18-140. Of course if you can't abide distortion, look elsewhere.

qunamax

Parry Johnson wrote:

qunamax wrote:

Parry Johnson wrote:

qunamax wrote:

I did some extensive tests at the store with several lenses when I was first deciding which one to buy for my D200 back in 2006 before I bought the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 (non-VC, non built-in motor). The Sigma 17-70 (non-OS at the time) was the runner-up in my choices. It was just as sharp except wide open, with a little warmer colours (which I liked) but only f2.8 at 17-24mm, which was not where I wanted it for portraits. The extra reach would have been nice, but not significantly more than 50mm -- I crop a bit when necessary.

By the way, my Tamron was made in China, not Japan like my friend's lens, and mine was sharper. However, I did have to send mine back twice during the 5-year warranty period because it simply seized up. His was okay. Tamron Canada got the repair right the second time, as it lasted an extra three or four years before I finally replaced it with the VC version. The Ebay purchaser got a really good deal at $175, I think.

Some good info there, thanks.
I'm not that worried about Sigma not being f2.8 on the long end since I'm not planning to do any artsy portraits with it, I use 50 1.8 for head and shoulders and 55-300vr for full figure.
I'll mostly use it as a walkaround everyday lens and for landscapes and interiors, just something a little more fancy than 18-70.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads