What should I Shut Up and do? D700, D810 or Hold My Breath?

Started Jan 9, 2016 | Discussions
solamnus
solamnus Senior Member • Posts: 1,599
Re: What should I Shut Up and do? D700, D810 or Hold My Breath?

RandyYPoto wrote:

I have a D700. I love it, but some of the new technology is quite enticing and I've dedicated this year as "Getting back into Photography" after a few years away. (Long story)

I was all set to buy the D810 the other day. I hopped onto B&H and noticed that the sale had ended. $200 bucks higher.

Why? I thought. nikonusa.com quickly revealed the two new beauties, unfortunately neither of which I want. [Correction "want" may not be the correct word, the D5 is just too expensive]

But I don't want the D500, I'm and FX Portrait guy. The D750 just seams too chintzy and cheap, I hate the plastic feel, I hate the grip, the menus and the dials. Not for me.

Whats the probability we get an D810 update (or some other FX Pro candy) in 2016?

So. should I SHUT UP keep shooting my D700 and hope and wait?

Or SHUT UP and buy the D810 because its still awesome?

From someone that was in your shoes a while back i can give you my recommendation.

I had( my wife have it now, so still in our possession) the D700 and was slowly looking around at times wondering if i would ever see an upgrade for my D700. Honestly i decided to wait as i felt the D800s of the world was not the replacement i was looking for. And i still feel that way even if i now own the D810. So why is that? Well, a long story short my wife was looking to get a better DSLR rather then shoot compacts.

I kind of had forgotten about the DF at the time since i heard so much bad things about it in the beginning that i was not interested in it any longer. But now i started to read more and more positive reviews about it and why people now felt it was the camera for them once you could coupe with all the shortcomings people thought it had when it first showed up. People really had huge expectations that it could never live up to when it arrived, and therefor it drowned in a sea of negative reviews.

I liked what i read though and realized it might just be the perfect camera for what i like shooting. I am like you a portrait guy and the Df seemed perfect for that.

I decided to get it, and right after i got it i knew i had made the right choice.

So why did i get the D810 also? Weeeell, i also realized if i had to hand my wife the D700 i would lack in areas where i would need one if i made more serious assignments and needed a backup for that. Also the DF is not the greatest sports camera or the best for action related photography.

So i also got the D810 and im happy to have it as well. BUT almost every time i shoot something for myself i bring the DF rather than the D810 to be honest. I just like the DF so much more. There is something about it that( especially for portraits) beats the D810. Also it goes so well with the older lenses i own and is great fun to shoot with.

So i REALLY recommend the DF if you cannot wait, i do not think you will be disappointed. But read every review you can find and make up your mind after, there are some things that you need to think about to be able to decide if its really for you..

Good luck!

solamnus's gear list:solamnus's gear list
Nikon Df Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +4 more
buybuybuy
buybuybuy Veteran Member • Posts: 5,388

Avoid the D810.

IMHO, the D810 will cease to take spectacular images once its successor is released.

Juxtaposition can exert profound effects on perception, and I've no doubt the next model will make its forbears seem greatly diminished by comparison!

Veloster75 Contributing Member • Posts: 752

buybuybuy wrote:

Avoid the D810.

IMHO, the D810 will cease to take spectacular images once its successor is released.

Juxtaposition can exert profound effects on perception, and I've no doubt the next model will make its forbears seem greatly diminished by comparison!

Lmao

Veloster75's gear list:Veloster75's gear list
Nikon Z7 Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG HSM Art Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +10 more
L Copps Senior Member • Posts: 1,608

RandyYPoto wrote:

I have a D700. I love it, but some of the new technology is quite enticing and I've dedicated this year as "Getting back into Photography" after a few years away. (Long story)

I was all set to buy the D810 the other day. I hopped onto B&H and noticed that the sale had ended. $200 bucks higher.

Why? I thought. nikonusa.com quickly revealed the two new beauties, unfortunately neither of which I want. [Correction "want" may not be the correct word, the D5 is just too expensive]

But I don't want the D500, I'm and FX Portrait guy. The D750 just seams too chintzy and cheap, I hate the plastic feel, I hate the grip, the menus and the dials. Not for me.

Whats the probability we get an D810 update (or some other FX Pro candy) in 2016?

The D750 is not chintzy and cheap.  It was made with a composite body to make it light and more compact to compete with the mirrorless bodies.  It is the most durable SLR Nikon makes.   If you search the posts you will find many testaments of several drops, one from 10 meters with no damage. The body absorbs shock much better than Magnesium boat anchors like the D700 and D810 which are damaged severely from a short drop.  The D750 is not a continuation of the dated huge clunky DSLRs, but the first of a new line of compact, light, and durable DSLRs to go head to head with mirrorless.  The Autofocus module was the very best Nikon made before the release of the D5 and D500 last week.

So I don't know were you get chintzy/cheap from.  Maybe you should try one out before rendering such an erroneous judgement.

L Copps's gear list:L Copps's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Chuck Yadmark
Chuck Yadmark Veteran Member • Posts: 4,420

I only buy expensive things on two occasions. When a work situation requires it, or when a deal/piece of equipment leaps out and makes me scream omg I gotta get this

the 700 when it came out . Then the D3s when I found one for 1800 dollars 2 years ago. The Df (illogical maybe but hey it floats my boat). The new 300/4, the 200-500. The 7200 with the 800 dollar from Nikon deal . The 800 when I found a mint one for sale for 1200. Now the new D500.

yeah I know . Too much. This all happened so fast over the past month. A couple of bodies gotta go. But I'm not going to take a bath on any of it

i will add I've been dancing around the 750 since it was announced last year. Just like the way you feel about it or the 810, you know it's very nice, but it's not reaching out and grabbing you. I'm glad because I suspect having a 500 and 800 (at the price I paid) is damned perfect to me.

if you're reluctantly pulling out your credit card there will be disappointment to follow

-- hide signature --

www.sportsshooter.com/cyadmark
Ann Arbor, MI USA
Equipment in profile

Chuck Yadmark's gear list:Chuck Yadmark's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon Df Nikon D4S Nikon D750 Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR +18 more
buybuybuy

L Copps wrote:

RandyYPoto wrote:

The D750 is not chintzy and cheap. It was made with a composite body to make it light and more compact to compete with the mirrorless bodies. It is the most durable SLR Nikon makes. If you search the posts you will find many testaments of several drops, one from 10 meters with no damage. The body absorbs shock much better than Magnesium boat anchors like the D700 and D810 which are damaged severely from a short drop. The D750 is not a continuation of the dated huge clunky DSLRs, but the first of a new line of compact, light, and durable DSLRs to go head to head with mirrorless. The Autofocus module was the very best Nikon made before the release of the D5 and D500 last week.

So I don't know were you get chintzy/cheap from. Maybe you should try one out before rendering such an erroneous judgement.

Better than the autofocus on the D4/s?

ArtAlt
ArtAlt Senior Member • Posts: 1,983
Probably worth $200 to do it NOW .... what realistically to expect?

Veloster75 wrote:

If you are worrying about the $200 increase for the D810, then don't be shocked with the price of the successor to it which is probably coming later this year. Go with the D810 and enjoy it. Its a hellava camera. I love mine.

Suppose the $200 rebate comes back in two months.  Is the $200 savings worth missing two months of pleasure of using a tool like that?  Life is short, I would go for it now.  I suspect that the biggest problem is feeling foolish about missing a sale, not the actual price difference.  We all have that same instinct.

BTW I LOVE the D750  I find it a perfect size and weight, and get superb image quality.  I just bought a D810 out of curiosity for the visual impact of extra resolution, and because I wanted a quieter shutter.

Some of the best photographers I know use older models and I am amazed to see that.  And some photographers tell me that I don't need the extra resolution of a D810 unless I'm printing HUGE.

But what I'm wondering is whether the extra resolution of the D810 puts it more in the category of a medium format camera -- or, whether the visual impact of medium format is more about sensor size than resolution.

-- hide signature --
 ArtAlt's gear list:ArtAlt's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D750 Sony a7 III Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +4 more
apoglass New Member • Posts: 3

I've decided to just keep using my wonderful D700 with Katzeye focus screen and flip down (when needed) 2x optical magnifier for a while longer, because of my decision that my next camera must have a magnifying electronic viewfinder to make manual focus easy and accurate.

After 50 years of using Nikon camera bodies, would love to be able to get a D810 to use with my favorite lenses which are all superbly corrected manual focus primes. But there is no Katzeye screen available for a D810 (and never will be now that Katzeye unfortunately has announced that they are going out of business). I'm not brave or skilled enough to attempt to modify a D810 with some other focus screen that will require shimming and focus adjustment, and which likely could also interfere with getting the correct exposure. If Katzeye wasn't satisfied that they could get any of the Nikon cameras with 100% viewfinders to work reliably with a manual focus screen, I'm not about to buy an expensive camera body to try such a modification myself.

Getting a higher resolution camera where exact focus is especially critical but no way to see if critical focus is being achieved by using the optical viewfinder would just be an exercise in utter frustration.

Especially in the face of Sony's rapid progress, and Leica's demonstration of just how excellent an electronic viewfinder can be, I'm very surprised and disappointed that in 2016 Nikon still has no electronic viewfinder option for any of their professional DSLR's, nor any full frame mirrorless camera.

drivecancel Regular Member • Posts: 258

Veloster75 wrote:

drivecancel wrote:

What I don't get is why people refuse to acknowledge the D750 as a worthy upgrade to their 'magical', 'full of soul' D700.

The D750 is a nice camera, when it worked. Mine had all the issues, shutter, flare and err. The D750 is probably not recommended as much because its not a pro body camera with pro features that one expects and looks forward to using. If you ever used a pro body camera before, you will understand. The shutter is amazing quiet on the D810 too. A feature that is a must for pro photographers shootjng in quiet environments.

I can't think of any significant 'pro features' the D750 lacks over a D4S or a D700, it's more pro than D700 in my opinion as it's the more capable camera. As for the shutter, there are many pros using D750s for weddings or louder cameras, so I would say that's not even close to being a must, no?

I've used a pro body, I don't see the fuss. The only pro body I think is considerably nicer than a D750 are the D2, D3 and D4 cameras, putting the grip on the D750 is a good half-step. I have a round viewfinder for my D750 so that isn't a problem for me either.

People (I'm not including you here) are too snobby about having a 'pro' body if you ask me.

drivecancel's gear list:drivecancel's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D750 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +1 more
ArtAlt
ArtAlt Senior Member • Posts: 1,983

apoglass wrote:

Especially in the face of Sony's rapid progress, and Leica's demonstration of just how excellent an electronic viewfinder can be, I'm very surprised and disappointed that in 2016 Nikon still has no electronic viewfinder option for any of their professional DSLR's, nor any full frame mirrorless camera.

The LCD screen ("live view") is in effect Nikon's electronic viewfinder.  They don't seem to have put much effort into optimizing the autofocus in that view.   It's my one problem with the D750, which is otherwise amazing camera. I love using the tilting screen for candids and awkward shots but the autofocus is slow and hit or miss.

I imagine that Nikon could implement magnification on the LCD (to assist manual focus) electronically, no?

Not sure how they could implement an EVF alongside an OVF, because they are so different.   Fuji has some kind of hybrid but I think that the optical view is really a viewfinder, not through the lens OVF.

-- hide signature --
 ArtAlt's gear list:ArtAlt's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D750 Sony a7 III Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +4 more
buybuybuy

drivecancel wrote:

Veloster75 wrote:

drivecancel wrote:

What I don't get is why people refuse to acknowledge the D750 as a worthy upgrade to their 'magical', 'full of soul' D700.

The D750 is a nice camera, when it worked. Mine had all the issues, shutter, flare and err. The D750 is probably not recommended as much because its not a pro body camera with pro features that one expects and looks forward to using. If you ever used a pro body camera before, you will understand. The shutter is amazing quiet on the D810 too. A feature that is a must for pro photographers shootjng in quiet environments.

I can't think of any significant 'pro features' the D750 lacks over a D4S or a D700, it's more pro than D700 in my opinion as it's the more capable camera. As for the shutter, there are many pros using D750s for weddings or louder cameras, so I would say that's not even close to being a must, no?

I've used a pro body, I don't see the fuss. The only pro body I think is considerably nicer than a D750 are the D2, D3 and D4 cameras, putting the grip on the D750 is a good half-step. I have a round viewfinder for my D750 so that isn't a problem for me either.

People (I'm not including you here) are too snobby about having a 'pro' body if you ask me.

Nikon doesn't consider the D750 a "pro" body. It is an "enthusiast" body.

That's the de facto classification on Nikon's own site.

apoglass New Member • Posts: 3

ArtAlt wrote:

The LCD screen ("live view") is in effect Nikon's electronic viewfinder. ... I imagine that Nikon could implement magnification on the LCD (to assist manual focus) electronically, no? Not sure how they could implement an EVF alongside an OVF, because they are so different. Fuji has some kind of hybrid but I think that the optical view is really a viewfinder, not through the lens OVF.

It is feasible to use the D700's LCD magnified live view at arms length, or held up to your eye with a Zacuto Z-Finder 3x Optical Viewfinder (with beautiful Schneider optics).  But the LCD on the back of the camera isn't a great substitute for an electronic viewfinder because of the difficulty of holding a heavy camera still at arms length, and because a magnifier steadied against your eye on the back of the LCD makes the setup so big and awkward to use hand held.

Would have hoped that Nikon had used the last four years to invent a hybrid optical and electronic viewfinder, but if this was not successful, they could supply interchangeable viewfinders as they did for decades with the F series film SLR bodies so you could swap the optical and EVF as needed.  As a last resort they could at least offer an inelegant separate electronic viewfinder that sits atop the prism in the accessory shoe.  Alternatively, they could have two finders on the DSLR, one electronic at the corner of the back and one optical in the center.  Having two places to look into the camera, although not ideal, would hardly be unprecedented, as many rangefinder cameras had both a viewfinder and a separate rangefinder window, for example, the Leica III, and recent Leica digital M rangefinders have both a combined viewfinder/rangefinder window and a separate EVF window above.

Since Nikon's current DSLR finders display focus boxes, etc., superimposed on the optical image, it would seem relatively easy to substitute a more capable transparent display able to show an electronic image.  In live view mode, with the mirror up and blocking the optical path to the viewfinder, you would see an illuminated electronic image.  When the mirror is down, the electronic image would be off except for superimposed indicators such as focus, artificial horizon, and grid lines, and the data display next to edge of the photographic image.  The optical focus screen located just at the bottom of the electronic display would be viewed through the transparent electronic display.

I'm sure Nikon can figure out how to design a focus screen combined with an illuminated electronic display that can show the live view image, as such a hybrid viewfinder is just a more capable variation of what they already use.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads