Quicken and Windows 10

Started Jan 3, 2016 | Discussions
ggeinec Contributing Member • Posts: 805
Quicken and Windows 10

I'm on Win 7 Home Premium and still using Quicken Deluxe 2010 because it reliably does everything I need it to do and subsequent versions pretty much got trashed in the customer reviews. And now Intuit is trying to dump Quicken . . .

Does anyone have Quicken Deluxe 2010 running on Windows 10?

Is anyone using a more recent and still available version of Quicken Deluxe that is stable and without issues?

Thanks!

dradam Senior Member • Posts: 2,819
Re: Quicken and Windows 10

ggeinec wrote:

I'm on Win 7 Home Premium and still using Quicken Deluxe 2010 because it reliably does everything I need it to do and subsequent versions pretty much got trashed in the customer reviews. And now Intuit is trying to dump Quicken . . .

Is anyone using a more recent and still available version of Quicken Deluxe that is stable and without issues?

Thanks!

I'm using Quicken 2014 Delux on Windows 10.  There are no issues that I've seen yet (beyond some scaling issues that were also present in Windows 8)

bananahead Contributing Member • Posts: 527

I am using Quicken 2008. It works just fine.

bananahead's gear list:bananahead's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM
davidsonn New Member • Posts: 5

ggeinec wrote:

Thanks!

I am using Windows 10, but i dont have Quicken Deluxe 2010.

Try to run it on Windows 10, I think it works properly with it.

-- hide signature --

[url=http://fugenx.com/iphone-apps-development-company-new-york-atlanta-new-jersey/]iPhone app development Columbus[/url] | [url=http://fugenx.com/android-apps-development-company-in-new-york-atlanta-new-jersey/]Android app development Georgia[/url]

Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 22,121
Have you looked at Intuit's Online money manager, "Mint"?

It's a fairly decent product, and because it is an online service, it is available for use with smartphones, tablets, and PCs regardless of operating system used. I think in a modern mobile centric environment such as our modern world, it makes a lot of sense to go with a platform independent option. Though I don't know why they have tried to separate it from Quicken proper as a discrete and totally separate product.  I should think there would be a natural, built in audience for Mint as an upgrade path.

This is probably why Quicken is slowly being strangled out of existence, and MS Money is dead.

Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +11 more
kelpdiver Veteran Member • Posts: 4,944
Re: Have you looked at Intuit's Online money manager, "Mint"?

using quicken required data entry, or giving it lots of account info, but you could secure it as much as you felt necessary, unlike the online offerings that all want to collate your information.  This is one area where I shy away from cloud offerings, as it seems like they benefit more from the arrangement than I do.

Glen Barrington

kelpdiver wrote:

using quicken required data entry, or giving it lots of account info, but you could secure it as much as you felt necessary, unlike the online offerings that all want to collate your information. This is one area where I shy away from cloud offerings, as it seems like they benefit more from the arrangement than I do.

That bothered me at first as well, but then I realized that all my information is ALREADY out there and collated by others.  If you pay bills online, you have made a compromise with security. if you access your financial accounts online for informational and planning purposes, you have made a security compromise.  If you enter your Fidelity account information on your bank's financial planning page, or on your broker's planning page, you have made a similar security compromise.

I'm not saying your concerns are meaningless or misguided, far from it, but I am saying that you might be looking at one specific tree, while you are ignoring the other trees in the forest that have every bit as much effect on your financial health.

The only alternatives I can see is to keep your records on paper with a complex manual filing and retrieval system or with an electronic spreadsheet that never attempts to connect to the greater world.  Both will limit in the extreme, both your investment and financial options, and make all but the most basic convenience features a thing of the past.  That is not why most people turned to Quicken and MS Money in the first place.

Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +11 more
bmoag Veteran Member • Posts: 3,060

I upgrade Quicken every two to three years because they threaten to cut off automatic updating of stock prices if you do not upgrade. If that is not important to you, and why would you use Quicken otherwise, then it does not matter what version you use with Windows 7-10. Windows is not like OSX, it has backward compatibility to almost but not quite anything written for it in 16 bit code (emulators can run DOS).

I do not know of any other program, iffy as Quicken can be, that can replace it for most individual investors unless you can program your own data base. Better research tools are available for free online from many sources than are built into Quicken. There are  many alternative ways to do basic book-keeping, particularly customizing your own spread sheet. However one tends to make errors entering numbers into spreadsheets that are less likely to be seen in data downloaded directly from your bank into Quicken (my accountant proved this to me).

Intuit never seems to correct fundamental bugs in the program as they do not have to and their India based telephone support is not always able to solve problems.

That being said, after a few updates, Quicken 2015 seemed a bit more stable than prior versions. On the other hand Q2015 keeps telling me there is an update but refuses to install it, so there you go.

bmoag's gear list:bmoag's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D3300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Nikon Z6
kelpdiver Veteran Member • Posts: 4,944

Glen Barrington wrote:

kelpdiver wrote:

using quicken required data entry, or giving it lots of account info, but you could secure it as much as you felt necessary, unlike the online offerings that all want to collate your information. This is one area where I shy away from cloud offerings, as it seems like they benefit more from the arrangement than I do.

That bothered me at first as well, but then I realized that all my information is ALREADY out there and collated by others. If you pay bills online, you have made a compromise with security. if you access your financial accounts online for informational and planning purposes, you have made a security compromise. If you enter your Fidelity account information on your bank's financial planning page, or on your broker's planning page, you have made a similar security compromise.

But it's really not the same thing.   If I have relationships with 12 financial services and one of them drops the ball and gets compromised, or if they somehow get my credential, they have eyes on 1 of the 12.   (though if you reuse passwords or password schemes, 1 could be enough to do a lot of damage.   Use something like lastpass and generate passwords that have no similarities)

Now if instead, you put everything in one basket, then it takes only one compromise to get all of the information.  And while a few have the APIs around read only data access, most do not.  This is a wealth of information to do intelligent phishing and other social eng schemes, or to compromise known faults with given vendors.

Since I don't need someone like Mint to do asset allocation analysis, what's the value add for this increased exposure?   I don't need nor want to see daily information.  I'm not a market timer.  Stronger financial health comes from less incessant viewing of the information.

Intuit had to suspend Tax Cut e-filings earlier this year when there was a rash of fraudulent filings.  They insist they weren't compromised, that their users were phished, but that's the problem in a nutshell.   They are already a very attractive target for organized hacks.

Glen Barrington wrote:

It's a fairly decent product, and because it is an online service, it is available for use with smartphones, tablets, and PCs regardless of operating system used. I think in a modern mobile centric environment such as our modern world, it makes a lot of sense to go with a platform independent option. Though I don't know why they have tried to separate it from Quicken proper as a discrete and totally separate product. I should think there would be a natural, built in audience for Mint as an upgrade path.

This is probably why Quicken is slowly being strangled out of existence, and MS Money is dead.

Mint existed as a separate product before it was bought by Intuit.  I personally find Mint far too limited, both in terms of granularity, double verification, and ability to actually connect to all of my banks or investment services.

Simon Garrett Veteran Member • Posts: 7,260
I switched to GnuCash

I switched to GnuCash.  It imported all my Quicken files (and it imports MS Money files).

Bit more of a learning curve with GnuCash, as you need to understand double-entry bookkeeping, but ultimately that's a better way to go, IMHO.

And GnuCash is free.  I now use it both for personal accounts and for the accounts of a small company.

-- hide signature --

Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
Glen Barrington
No, It isn't Quicken . . .

But it does work for many, and clearly it is Intuit's future money management product, so I expect that over time, it will begin to fill in the gaps as people provide input.

Here is a recent review that I think paints a fair picture of the product:

https://investorjunkie.com/54/mint-com-review/

CAcreeks
CAcreeks Forum Pro • Posts: 17,584
Re: I switched to GnuCash

Simon Garrett wrote:

I switched to GnuCash. It imported all my Quicken files (and it imports MS Money files).

Bit more of a learning curve with GnuCash, as you need to understand double-entry bookkeeping, but ultimately that's a better way to go, IMHO.

And GnuCash is free. I now use it both for personal accounts and for the accounts of a small company.

Thanks! It runs on Linux and I had never heard of it before.

Does Intuit, or an alternate vendor, make something like TurboTax for the UK?

CAcreeks
CAcreeks Forum Pro • Posts: 17,584

Glen Barrington wrote:

It's a fairly decent product, and because it is an online service, it is available for use with smartphones, tablets, and PCs regardless of operating system used. I think in a modern mobile centric environment such as our modern world, it makes a lot of sense to go with a platform independent option. Though I don't know why they have tried to separate it from Quicken proper as a discrete and totally separate product. I should think there would be a natural, built in audience for Mint as an upgrade path.

I tried it on my phone, and didn't like it.

Glen, are you using it on Android?

Re: No, It isn't Quicken . . .

Glen Barrington wrote:

But it does work for many, and clearly it is Intuit's future money management product, so I expect that over time, it will begin to fill in the gaps as people provide input.

That is a fair assessment.

I never said Mint wouldn't work for many, just that it isn't nearly enough, or good enough, for what I need.  Most of what Mint does can be replicated within Quicken, along with the added benefit of being able to reconcile accounts (I've caught a number of errors this way) and of being able to manually track accounts that don't sync well or at all with Mint/Quicken (between online banks, workplace retirement funds, obscure credit cards, and personal debts/credits, I'd say that well over 60-70% of my financial life doesn't sync with Mint).

I'd agree that Intuit is moving towards the mobile market and that their development of Quicken (such as it is) will likely either move towards merging or simply ignoring Quicken.

Personally, for the limited things I do in Quicken, I'm quite interested in GnuCash.  I'll have to check it out.

BillyBobSenna
BillyBobSenna Senior Member • Posts: 2,929

I am running Quicken Deluxe 2016 on a Windows 10 computer. I have had no issues and have many accounts and 10+ years of data.

I updated from Quicken 2015 to 2016 and found there was no significant difference with the features that I typically use. Probably not at wise use of the "40% off" price.

Overall I still find this is a very valuable tool to track our spending, investments, budget and pay bills even though it has not changed significantly for many years.

-- hide signature --
 BillyBobSenna's gear list:BillyBobSenna's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +6 more
OP ggeinec Contributing Member • Posts: 805

Glen Barrington wrote:

From the linked review:

"No Reconciliation – You cannot reconcile against your monthly bank statements. Mint assumes the data downloaded is always correct."

Just one of many reasons why I cannot see myself using Mint. Reconciliation is a basic fundamental function of money management and Mint doesn't have it?

ggeinec wrote:

Glen Barrington wrote:

From the linked review:

"No Reconciliation – You cannot reconcile against your monthly bank statements. Mint assumes the data downloaded is always correct."

Just one of many reasons why I cannot see myself using Mint. Reconciliation is a basic fundamental function of money management and Mint doesn't have it?

Reconciliation requires a 2nd source of data, such as a register you keep vs your bank statement.  As Mint does not have a way to manually register data, there can be no reconciliation.

Mint is, at it's core, a way to get a quick snapshot of your financial position.  It will tell you your balances and, if you let it, break down expenses into categories, or help you keep a budget.  It is designed to do this automatically, not as a tool to do it yourself.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads