Normal for E-M5 mk II to sleep after 3-4 seconds in SCP?

Started Dec 19, 2015 | Questions
Lew Veteran Member • Posts: 4,964
Normal for E-M5 mk II to sleep after 3-4 seconds in SCP?

Sorry if I get the terminology wrong. I just bought a refurb E-M5 mark II from Olympus during their 20% off sale. Seems to be fine but is behaving differently from my E-M10 in terms of when I switch from LiveView mode to Super Control Panel.

If I have the camera in live-view mode displaying the through the lens image on the LCD panel all the sleep and LCD-dim timings are normal. if I hit the Fn3 LiveView button to bring up the SCP it will display for about 3-4 seconds and then the camera goes to sleep (goes silent). A half-press of the shutter-release wakes it up but no other buttons do anything. If in live view or in the menu system the camera stays awake, it's just when its displaying the SCP on the LCD that this happens. If I'm in LiveView and tap OK to bring up the control panel it's all fine. It only happens if I've hit Fn3 to switch to SCP mode from LV.

Offhand this doesn't seem normal. I've confirmed the Backlit LCD setting is on "Hold", Sleep at 5min, and Auto Power Off at 1hour. I've changed each of these as well just to see and theres no change in behavior.

I've ensured I'm not tripping the eye sensor. I've also tried two different batteries. The camera has been updated to the latest firmware.

Thoughts? Normal, or time for a service call? I'm thinking the latter but am curious if I'm missing something.

Thanks for your input.

-- hide signature --

Images are about emotion. Technical perfection is nice, but does not stand by itself.

ANSWER:
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
haslo
haslo Regular Member • Posts: 411
Re: Normal for E-M5 mk II to sleep after 3-4 seconds in SCP?

Doesn't happen with mine, FWIW...

haslo's gear list:haslo's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +8 more
John King
John King Forum Pro • Posts: 14,941

Don't know if the E-M5 MkII is the same as my EM-1 (etc), but to switch in/out of LV, I just press the LV button. It toggles LV/SCP on/off.

-- hide signature --

Regards, john from Melbourne, Australia.
Please do not embed images from my web site without prior permission
I consider this to be a breach of my copyright.
-- -- --
The Camera doth not make the Man (nor Woman) ...
Perhaps being kind to cats, dogs & children does ...
Galleries: http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/v/main-page/

Bird Control Officers on active service.

John King's gear list:John King's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II +17 more
OP Lew Veteran Member • Posts: 4,964

haslo wrote:

Doesn't happen with mine, FWIW...

So yours will display the SCP and stay on until the LCD dims per timer and eventually after whatever set time will go to sleep, yes?

Sigh.  Hate having to have a new (to me) camera repaired, looks like I'll call Olympus on Monday.

-- hide signature --

Images are about emotion. Technical perfection is nice, but does not stand by itself.

John King wrote:

Don't know if the E-M5 MkII is the same as my EM-1 (etc), but to switch in/out of LV, I just press the LV button. It toggles LV/SCP on/off.

EM5mkII is the same, just in addition to the LV icon the button is also labelled Fn3 as it can be reassigned other functions if desired.  Pressing it (with default assignment) switches in/out of LV just as it does on the EM10 and EM1.

However on my EM10 the LCD display stays on when in SCP mode and on this EM5mkII the whole camera suddenly goes to sleep after three or four seconds of inactivity.  Only in SCP mode though, not in LV mode and not in SCP mode with my eye to the viewfinder.  It's a very odd little problem.

-- hide signature --

P Langham Regular Member • Posts: 157

You could do a "basic" reset in the settings 1.

Nice idea, I will try that.

Any idea if there's a way to re-flash the updated firmware, i.e. do a forced reload in case something didn't take in the upgrade.

Unfortunately I did little to no playing around with it before doing updates, so I don't know if it was like this before the 2.0 to 2.1 firmware update or not.

-- hide signature --

Aw sunuvagun...

Someone print up a sign for me to warn other of my stupidity... (c.f. Bill Engvall)

As I looked for a setting reset I ran across the "Quick Sleep Mode" setting. It was "On" and switching it off cured the problem. Sigh.

See http://asia.olympus-imaging.com/product/dslr/em5mk2/feature7.html

"Quick Sleep mode is included on the E-M5 Mark II, which puts the camera into sleep mode whenever the Super Control Panel is displayed and the camera is not operated for more than 3 seconds, allowing up to approximately 750 shots* to be captured. Quick Sleep mode is deactivated when the shutter button is pressed halfway. You can switch between Super Control Panel and Live View Super Control Panel using the LV button."

(and yes I HAD read the friendly manual, unsure how I missed that little gem)

-- hide signature --

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
John King
John King Forum Pro • Posts: 14,941

Haha, Leo.

Not laughing at you, laughing with you!

We've all been caught with these things from time to time. I seem to recall that my E-M1 has/had a 'Quick sleep mode', but now I can't find it ...

Modern cameras are complex little beasties ...

-- hide signature --

Regards, john from Melbourne, Australia.
Please do not embed images from my web site without prior permission
I consider this to be a breach of my copyright.
-- -- --
The Camera doth not make the Man (nor Woman) ...
Perhaps being kind to cats, dogs & children does ...
Galleries: http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/v/main-page/

Bird Control Officers on active service.

John King's gear list:John King's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II +17 more

No worries, it's pretty funny.  Even better, I was sitting with the camera going through Darrell Young's "Mastering the..." book and had SCP turned on to make it simpler to play around as I was going through the initial configuration / recommended settings.

Funniest thing is I've been shooting digital SLRs since the Canon EOS D30 DSLR came out, so I *really* should know better.

I'm glad to know there's not an issue with the camera and it was just simple setting.  Hopefully this thread will help someone else.

-- hide signature --

SushiCub Regular Member • Posts: 338

Thank you for posting this - mine has been doing the same. If you think you were silly, how about me keeping turning on and off to see if it would fix the issues for a few weeks. Haha. Now I know! I bought the book "Mastering..." also but haven't gotten that far yet!

SushiCub's gear list:SushiCub's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS +2 more

Thanks for posting, I'm pleased to know my experience helped someone else.

For what it's worth, I'd contacted Olympus Support via their web form asking the same question; I did actually hear back from them Monday evening with an explanation of the matter and how to change the setting.  That was encouraging.

-- hide signature --

Agreed. I contacted them for another matter - received a reply within 48 hours. My first Olympus and quite pleased with everything. I had never though of purchasing Olympus since I had this silly image of old fashioned manufacture towards Olympus. Oh, wasn't I wrong.

Olympus E-M5 II Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS +2 more
Galleon Forum Member • Posts: 59

Thanks for starting thread. Learned something here

Galleon's gear list:Galleon's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ

Haha. I attended a small gathering organized by a local camera store a few weeks ago. What I found out was that, it seems, most were more interested in cameras than taking photos. I asked a gent sitting next to me what he did with all his photos - "I stored all in cloud." Not exactly the answer I was looking for lol. Good to know some photos taken by a few folks who kindly replies to me end up being in books and decorating their places - somewhere others can see

SushiCub wrote:

Haha. I attended a small gathering organized by a local camera store a few weeks ago. What I found out was that, it seems, most were more interested in cameras than taking photos. I asked a gent sitting next to me what he did with all his photos - "I stored all in cloud." Not exactly the answer I was looking for lol. Good to know some photos taken by a few folks who kindly replies to me end up being in books and decorating their places - somewhere others can see

Apologies.... wrong thread!!!!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads