Which eye do you put to the viewfinder?

Started Dec 13, 2015 | Discussions
iTrax
iTrax Contributing Member • Posts: 778
Re: Which eye do you put to the viewfinder?

right handed

left eyed

when I wake up in the morning and close my left eye and then right eye there is a huge difference in brightness, saturation and white balance.

After a few minutes my brain balances both eyes and the image is the same.

My left eye is definitely much better than the right one.

I keep my right eye open while photographing moving objects, as long as object is coming from the right side.

I use my left hand occasionally to block the sunlight.

iTrax's gear list:iTrax's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K10D Pentax Q Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 +86 more
DAVID MANZE Veteran Member • Posts: 6,376

iTrax wrote:

right handed

left eyed

when I wake up in the morning and close my left eye and then right eye there is a huge difference in brightness, saturation and white balance.

After a few minutes my brain balances both eyes and the image is the same.

My left eye is definitely much better than the right one.

I keep my right eye open while photographing moving objects, as long as object is coming from the right side.

I use my left hand occasionally to block the sunlight.

The Angry Photographer Ken Wheeler has a video on "the dominant eye".

I did a days clay pigeon shooting once where one of the instructor's first checks was to verify the shooters dominant eye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E5W61pJQOU

-- hide signature --

Dave's clichés

DAVID MANZE's gear list:DAVID MANZE's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D +17 more
KentG Veteran Member • Posts: 4,719

You could but its a little annoying.  Cataract surgery is the best bet. I had it down a few months ago from the same diagnosis except for shooting and astronomy as much as for photography. I am left-handed but right-eye dominant (80% of lefties are right-eye dominant by the way). Lots of choices in the lens setup in cataract surgery. I chose to come out far-sighted instead of my previous near-sighted. Now I can drive without glasses if I choose and can buy sunglasses off the shelf. Means I need reading glasses because I did not elect to get multi-focus lenses (insurance won't pay for those completely, as in $$$$) plus they are a compromise setup. Also did not elect to get astigmatism correction even though I suffer from it. Instead I got a set of glasses made that are bifocal for reading and correct for astigmatism as I don't need either corrected 85% of the time.

Weirdest part was seeing during the 30 days between getting my right eye corrected and my left eye done.

Kent Gittings

KentG's gear list:KentG's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 II Pentax K-1 Pentax smc D-FA 50mm F2.8 Macro Pentax FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 +4 more
MJSfoto1956 Contributing Member • Posts: 560

pixelsmithy wrote:

I'm curious because I am right-handed and have always (unthinkingly)
put the viewfinder to my right eye. However, a recent eye examination
has discovered that I have cataracts and my right eye is significantly
worse. With a new prescription they say they can get me to 20/25 and
I'll need cataract surgery eventually, but I'm wondering if, in the
meantime, I can successfully train myself to use my left eye to the
viewfinder.

While not a direct answer to your question I thought my experience might offer you some insight. About four years ago both my eyes developed cataracts in quick succession. I opted to have each eye operated on independently with a three-month wait between. In the end I opted for one eye set for distance vision, and the other set for near vision, a strategy called "monovision". I'm back to using my right eye to focus again (that is the eye with near vision). And if appropriate I can keep my left eye open and focused on the subject in the distance. For the first time since 3rd grade I no longer need glasses -- hallelujah!

Best of luck with your cataract condition.

Michael

MJSfoto1956's gear list:MJSfoto1956's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D800 Pentax K-3 II Adobe Photoshop CS6 DxO Optics Pro Elite +3 more
Fibinaci
Fibinaci Regular Member • Posts: 127
Right handed, Left eye(nt)

No text.

Fibinaci's gear list:Fibinaci's gear list
Fujifilm X-T200 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R
Cheezr
Cheezr Senior Member • Posts: 1,317

pixelsmithy wrote:

A little informal DPReview Pentax survey...

Q: Are you right-handed or left-handed (or ambidextrous)
A:

Q: When you use a camera viewfinder, which eye do you put to the viewfinder?
A:

I am 60/40 right handed and used to use my left eye for viewfinder but my nose occasionally would hit the live view button on my K5ii so I forced myself to switch to my right eye and actually it was not that hard to do. So now I am right/right with the camera.

CZR

-- hide signature --

If the images are crap, it’s the camera
If the images are good, it’s the photographer, not the equipment

Historicity Senior Member • Posts: 2,238

KentG wrote:

You could but its a little annoying. Cataract surgery is the best bet. I had it down a few months ago from the same diagnosis except for shooting and astronomy as much as for photography. I am left-handed but right-eye dominant (80% of lefties are right-eye dominant by the way). Lots of choices in the lens setup in cataract surgery. I chose to come out far-sighted instead of my previous near-sighted. Now I can drive without glasses if I choose and can buy sunglasses off the shelf. Means I need reading glasses because I did not elect to get multi-focus lenses (insurance won't pay for those completely, as in $$$$) plus they are a compromise setup. Also did not elect to get astigmatism correction even though I suffer from it. Instead I got a set of glasses made that are bifocal for reading and correct for astigmatism as I don't need either corrected 85% of the time.

Weirdest part was seeing during the 30 days between getting my right eye corrected and my left eye done.

Kent Gittings

Kent,

Since my college days I had myopia in my right eye and hyperopia in my left eye.  In my 60s I developed a cataract in my right eye and had the operation when I was 70.  The left eye cataract was operated on a year or so later.  Both eyes were 20/20 for several years.  I'm 81 now and need glasses.  Once again my right eye tends toward myopia and my left eye toward hyperopia, but not severely so in either case.  My eye-sight isn't changing rapidly from one eye-doctor visit to the next.

As to seeing for any particular purpose I adjusted to which ever eye could see what I wanted to see best.  I don't remember any particular problem other than the following:

I rode a motorcycle to work for years and would often experience disorientation -- the feeling that I couldn't keep my balance.  This was disconcerting as I rode to work on the freeway.  I would notice the disorientation especially when there were no other vehicles around me.  I would speed up next to a car or truck and the sense of loss of balance would be alleviated.  An optometrist explained to me that even though I wore glasses when riding, I would see the pavement passing beneath the glasses peripherally, and since the eyes saw the pavement differently, I became disoriented.

The ophthalmologist who performed the cataract operations didn't give me the choices you and one other in this thread refer to -- or maybe he was sounding me out and I didn't realize it, asking me if I wanted 20/20 and of course I did, but I don't remember that.

Lawrence

Historicity's gear list:Historicity's gear list
Ricoh GR II Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Pentax K20D Olympus E-5 +118 more
Holger Bargen Veteran Member • Posts: 4,525

For your statistics:

Right-handed

Right eye

Best regards

Holger

Holger Bargen's gear list:Holger Bargen's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-S1 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +7 more
paulkienitz
paulkienitz Veteran Member • Posts: 5,429

I think a lot of users would really appreciate if the industry could supply left-handed or left-eyed cameras. With mirrorless it wouldn't be that difficult. Sony's a7 series is already pretty modular.

-- hide signature --

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand." -- Ansel

paulkienitz's gear list:paulkienitz's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +4 more
thegreat26
thegreat26 Contributing Member • Posts: 960

Left handed left eye.
But does it really matter?

thegreat26's gear list:thegreat26's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-1 Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Pentax K10D Nikon D750 +13 more
Roland Karlsson Forum Pro • Posts: 29,319

thegreat26 wrote:

Left handed left eye.
But does it really matter?

Some like statistics

BTW - it is actually interesting.

I cannot really understand how left handed and left eyed can use current cameras. They are extremely made for right handed and right eyed. Maybe not so bad as when we had the film lever, but anyhow.

-- hide signature --

/Roland
Kalpanika X3F tools:
https://github.com/kalpanika/x3f

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Sony RX100 III Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 +14 more
awaldram
awaldram Forum Pro • Posts: 13,271

right- handed

Both

I also rarely shut the non-viewfinder eye.

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax Q Olympus PEN E-PM2 Pentax Q7 Pentax K-3 +17 more
RonHendriks
RonHendriks Regular Member • Posts: 299

I'm both handed

Left eye.

MatthewO New Member • Posts: 16

I do the same, right handed, left eye, use my nose, which is always making smudges on the lcd screen for stability, use my left hand to block any sun that might be in my way. I've always thought the right hand left eye combo was the normal way of doing things.

MatthewO's gear list:MatthewO's gear list
Kodak EasyShare V1253 FinePix XP70 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +5 more
haui Regular Member • Posts: 289

I am right handed and use my left eye on the viewfinder.

haui's gear list:haui's gear list
Pentax K-1
thegreat26
thegreat26 Contributing Member • Posts: 960

I guess we have to use our correct eye with our false (right) hand.
We got used to it. When I shoot with my spotmatic or me everything is just fine.

thegreat26's gear list:thegreat26's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-1 Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Pentax K10D Nikon D750 +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads