Problems Pairing a7rii with Canon 70-200 2.8 L IS II and Commlite

Started Dec 9, 2015 | Discussions
Doublehamm New Member • Posts: 3
Problems Pairing a7rii with Canon 70-200 2.8 L IS II and Commlite

I have had the a7rii since release.  I finally decided to expand my lenses to some Canon EF mounts.  I ordered a Commlite adapter, and a Canon 70-200 2.8.

I am having issues getting it to focus.  On ANYTHING. Every time  I try to hold the shutter halfway down it focuses all the way in, then all the way out then nothing.  It does not want to lock on anything.

I have tried AF-C and AF-S

Are there specific settings needed to get this to work?

Also, what are the best settings as far as stabilization?  Use the lens IS, the IBIS, or both at the same time?

Any other tips?

For the most part I will be using it for video, so manual focus will mostly be used, but I want to be able to take some killer photos as well with AF.

Thanks in advance!

Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Sony a7R II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
rgwaller1
rgwaller1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,651
Re: Problems Pairing a7rii with Canon 70-200 2.8 L IS II and Commlite

Good luck on getting anyone on this forum to help you out with this. I posted for help with the EF-85mm AF USM lens with FotodioX adaptor on my A7II and did not get a single reply

rgwaller1's gear list:rgwaller1's gear list
Sony Mavica FD-95 Sony RX10 IV Sony a6500 Sony a9 Sony a7R III +11 more
Dsnoir
Dsnoir Contributing Member • Posts: 978

I used this same combination 2 weeks ago, a friend has the Canon lens and bought the Commlite. We used ZONE focus area and Single shot focus, pointed the camera at a stationary object in good sunlight - absolute disaster, hunted a lot but eventually attained focus, recomposed on another stationary subject, sprung into focus we were both amazed at the speed with which it focused after the initial disappointment, from then on it was perfect. We then tried Continuous focus, again very good. Single focus point did not seem to work as well. From the amount of hunting it seemed as if CDAF was being used, and it then switched to PDAF.  For some reason we put the adaptor on the camera first and then the lens, the adaptor is a very snug fit, the lens onto the adaptor is an extremely tight fit, almost to the point that we thought the camera might be damaged - it might loosen up with use, perhaps the order of mounting the lens and adaptor to the camera has no bearing at all. Hope this helps, by the way the image quality was stunning.

Dsnoir's gear list:Dsnoir's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a7R IV Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD +5 more
Brian_Smith
Brian_Smith Veteran Member • Posts: 3,251

I don't recommend the Commlite EF adapter.

But that lens focuses quickly and accurately on a7RII in AF-S and AF-C focus modes using Metabones, Fotodiox and Viltrox smart adapters

http://briansmith.com/sony-a7rii-canon-ef-smart-adapter-tests/

Turn lens IS OFF and allow the body to provide IBIS. Not only will the body provide 3-Axis IS instead of 2-Axis with the lens, but lens IS sucks power away from AF.

Brian_Smith's gear list:Brian_Smith's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R IV Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 +4 more
rgwaller1
rgwaller1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,651

Brian, maybe you could give me a hint on what may be going on.

I went to check out some Canon lenses today and was using the FotodioX adaptor on my A7II. The Canon 18-200 worked great and the 100-400 was fast and accurate up to 350mm. I then put the 85mm f1.8 USM on and all it did was hunt for focus. I then put the same lens and adaptor on the A7 and the AF was fast and accurate. Are the settings on my A7II off or did something change between the two A7's. I was using phase Detection.

rgwaller1's gear list:rgwaller1's gear list
Sony Mavica FD-95 Sony RX10 IV Sony a6500 Sony a9 Sony a7R III +11 more
OP Doublehamm New Member • Posts: 3

Thanks for the info. I did buckle down and order a metabones as a last ditch effort, but was trying to stay away from that price. Hopefully something works or I will be sending lenses back as well until I know how to do this correctly. I also tried a Tamron 150-600 last night as well with poor results.

OP Doublehamm New Member • Posts: 3

Thanks for the info.  Is there a way to force the camera to use PDAF or CDAF?  I dont have tech sheets in front of me, but is it not hybrid like the a6000 or does it only use one mode at a time?

PWPhotography Veteran Member • Posts: 9,311

I have tried my copy of 70-200L/2.8 IS II but with Metabones IV-T adapter (with FW 0.47) and A7 II (with FW 2.0) in AF-S (single shot). The combo AF very well under good/moderate light. AF lock takes a little longer than the lens on 5D2. In dim low light AF still hung often, same true with 24-70L/2.8 II (that AF is slightly faster on A7 II thru adapter). Overall it's very usable now after FW updates. A7r II AF is only better.

PWPhotography's gear list:PWPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +17 more
Entropy512 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,814

rgwaller1 wrote:

Brian, maybe you could give me a hint on what may be going on.

I went to check out some Canon lenses today and was using the FotodioX adaptor on my A7II. The Canon 18-200 worked great and the 100-400 was fast and accurate up to 350mm. I then put the 85mm f1.8 USM on and all it did was hunt for focus. I then put the same lens and adaptor on the A7 and the AF was fast and accurate. Are the settings on my A7II off or did something change between the two A7's. I was using phase Detection.

The A7 simply doesn't have PDAF support for EA1/EA3 adapters. I'm surprised anyone would describe adapted lens AF with this body as "fast" - it's fundamentally slow with any lens.

All Canon adapters other than the Techart III in Fn mode and the Metabones in "Advanced" mode emulate an EA1/EA3.

The EF85/1.8 is notorious for poor performance with many adapters as its AF motor is EXTREMELY fast, in fact TOO fast for bodies to handle it seems. I'm 90% certain that the way Metabones "fixed" the EF85/1.8 based on some people's description of newer Metabones firmwares is that they implemented Canon's focus motor speed control command (command 0x50 I believe based on https://pickandplace.wordpress.com/2011/10/05/canon-ef-s-protocol-and-electronic-follow-focus/#comment-59 ) to slow down lenses that were known to have hunting issues due to the motor being too fast.

Sony's old CDAF algorithm was a bit more forgiving of this than what I've heard of the new PDAF-for-EA1/3 algo due to the fact that in one phase of the focus search mode, the CDAF algorithm will, rather than tell the lens "move slowly", instead will just send repeated "move a tiny bit to position X" commands.

The same attributes that make the 85/1.8 so popular with Canon users (extremely fast AF) are what make it perform very poorly with nearly all E-mount adapters right now. Its AF speed combined with the Techart III's lack of focus motor speed control makes the combo useless in most cases, despite that adapter providing spectacular performance with other lenses on an A6000 - http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/56692298

Once Techart implements the E-mount focus motor speed control in Fn mode, it's going to be a game changer.

Entropy512's gear list:Entropy512's gear list
Sony a6000 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Sony a6300 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
RC Photography Regular Member • Posts: 265
Brian, may I ask for some advice?

Brian_Smith wrote:

But that lens focuses quickly and accurately on a7RII in AF-S and AF-C focus modes using Metabones, Fotodiox and Viltrox smart adapters

Turn lens IS OFF and allow the body to provide IBIS. Not only will the body provide 3-Axis IS instead of 2-Axis with the lens, but lens IS sucks power away from AF.

I have been reading these threads most of which are encouraging, but none really answer the question I have.

For sports and action, what would be the best, most functional option for the A7Rii and a 300mm zoom?   The LA-EA3 with A mount zoom?  The LA-EA4? or a Canon adapter with a Canon 70-300mm?  Is there a big difference?

I already have the LA-EA4, but there are some limitations with it, and it is the bulkiest of adapters.

RC Photography's gear list:RC Photography's gear list
Samsung NX500 Sony a7R II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
Entropy512 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,814

Doublehamm wrote:

Thanks for the info. Is there a way to force the camera to use PDAF or CDAF? I dont have tech sheets in front of me, but is it not hybrid like the a6000 or does it only use one mode at a time?

With EA1/EA3 adapters (and anything that emulates them) - You only have CDAF on most bodies.  A7II and A7RII are the only bodies with the option of PDAF for adapted lenses and that's one mode at a time.

They are hybrid with native lenses, but as far as I can tell only one mode at a time with EA1/EA3 adapters.

Entropy512's gear list:Entropy512's gear list
Sony a6000 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Sony a6300 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
Chris Joy Contributing Member • Posts: 615

Brian_Smith wrote:

The Fotodiox flares badly, any comments on the Vitrox? I get the feeling I'm just going to shell out for the Metabones IV.

Chris Joy's gear list:Chris Joy's gear list
Sony a5100 Sony a7R II Sony a6300 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads