Disabling Windows 10 RAW thumbnail preview.

Started Dec 8, 2015 | Discussions
Steve2070 New Member • Posts: 12
Disabling Windows 10 RAW thumbnail preview.

Hi all, does anyone know if this can be done and how?

I shoot RAW+JPEG and previous versions of windows showed the JPEG thumbnail together with the RAW icon so it was easy to tell which was which and only the JPEGS would display in windows.

Now in Windows 10 they are all thumbnails and when I preview my images the RAW's are shown as well so I have to view 2 of everything!

So how do I (if possible) set it so windows ignores the RAW files and just shows an icon like before?

Thanks

Steve

Phil Shaw Regular Member • Posts: 345
Re: Disabling Windows 10 RAW thumbnail preview.

Not sure of the specifics in Win10, but in Win7 you go to the Control Panel>Programs>Default Programs then select Associate file type or protocol with a program.  Then you can choose to associate the raw files with Photoshop or whatever and the jpgs with the Win10 file viewer if that's what you want.  I would expect that the Win10 procedure will be similar.

TheTom Regular Member • Posts: 497

Steve2070 wrote:

I shoot RAW+JPEG and previous versions of windows showed the JPEG thumbnail together with the RAW icon so it was easy to tell which was which and only the JPEGS would display in windows.

Now in Windows 10 they are all thumbnails and when I preview my images the RAW's are shown as well so I have to view 2 of everything!

So how do I (if possible) set it so windows ignores the RAW files and just shows an icon like before?

Thanks

Steve

Why do you not just filter out the RAW files when you do not need the others? Filter to *.jpg... finished.

Robert Zanatta Senior Member • Posts: 1,587

I prefer it as you suggested, and to have the Canon RAW files show up as generic icons in Explorer I did the following:

Using Regedit, delete the following keys (export them in case you want to put them back):

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.CR2

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.cr2

Reboot the machine.

I like to whiz through only the JPG files when viewing with Windows Photo Viewer (or Photos), but it will still open the raw files.  Only thing I know of that may work is to uninstall the Microsoft codec pack.  Does anyone else know of a way to disable the opening of raw files at the application level?  Or, is there a decent 3rd party photo viewer that only traverses JPGs?

Robert Zanatta's gear list:Robert Zanatta's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
evogt500 Senior Member • Posts: 1,224

Robert Zanatta wrote:

I prefer it as you suggested, and to have the Canon RAW files show up as generic icons in Explorer I did the following:

Using Regedit, delete the following keys (export them in case you want to put them back):

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.CR2

Reboot the machine.

I like to whiz through only the JPG files when viewing with Windows Photo Viewer (or Photos), but it will still open the raw files. Only thing I know of that may work is to uninstall the Microsoft codec pack. Does anyone else know of a way to disable the opening of raw files at the application level? Or, is there a decent 3rd party photo viewer that only traverses JPGs?

Robert,

I have the same issue.  I wouldn't mind the raw thumbnails if my pc was fast enough to load them, however its not and it lags.  Can you explain the process in a little more detail?  It would be most appreciated.  Thanks!

I used registry editor but could not find "fileExts".

evogt500's gear list:evogt500's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S200EXR Sony Alpha NEX-6 Fujifilm X-A10

evogt500 wrote:

Robert Zanatta wrote:

Reboot the machine.

I like to whiz through only the JPG files when viewing with Windows Photo Viewer (or Photos), but it will still open the raw files. Only thing I know of that may work is to uninstall the Microsoft codec pack. Does anyone else know of a way to disable the opening of raw files at the application level? Or, is there a decent 3rd party photo viewer that only traverses JPGs?

Robert,

I have the same issue. I wouldn't mind the raw thumbnails if my pc was fast enough to load them, however its not and it lags. Can you explain the process in a little more detail? It would be most appreciated. Thanks!

I used registry editor but could not find "fileExts".

The registry key should exist, and the filename extension you want to delete the key for needs to match what your raw filename extension is (i.e. .CR2 for Canon EOS).

I'm running Windows 10, but it should be the same for Win8 or Win7. If the key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts

doesn't exist I don't know what else to suggest.

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
denisg
denisg Senior Member • Posts: 1,329

Steve2070 wrote:

Thanks

Steve

No idea as to how to change raw files to icon, sorry. However, my workaround is to alter the viewing of files. In windows 10 "Photos" is, to me, a totally useless app while "Photo Gallery" is little better. I always use Bridge in Photoshop but on occasion just view in Windows 10. In Windows I use File Explorer but have tried Photo Gallery too. For folders where Raw and .jpg files are mixed I choose to view by file type and adjust ascending or descending to suit which is viewed first. It's not what you wanted but it does separate the files so you are not looking at matching pairs. This works in most editors/file-viewers I know but I could find no way to do it in Photos.

Hope this helps if all else fails.

Denis.

-- hide signature --

DenisG.
http://www.denisg.co.uk/gallery/
Tamron 150-600 photo's in my DPR Gallery: http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/1200907050/albums/tamron-150-600
"First get a pic, if it's still there, compose one!"

denisg's gear list:denisg's gear list
Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Olympus C-2100 UZ Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II +8 more
evogt500 Senior Member • Posts: 1,224

Robert Zanatta wrote:

The registry key should exist, and the filename extension you want to delete the key for needs to match what your raw filename extension is (i.e. .CR2 for Canon EOS).

I'm running Windows 10, but it should be the same for Win8 or Win7. If the key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts

doesn't exist I don't know what else to suggest.

Thank you, I have found it.  How do I save it so that I can possibly restore it later on?

evogt500's gear list:evogt500's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S200EXR Sony Alpha NEX-6 Fujifilm X-A10
Billiam29 Senior Member • Posts: 1,378

It seems like a solution may have already been found, but another course of action to try with this would be to download the free Autoruns utility from Microsoft Sysinternals at https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902 . When I do this on my Win 7 machine the utility shows some promising results on its Explorer tab. Namely these two registry keys:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers
HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers

Doesn't hurt to save it. Just export the key you are deleting.

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
24Peter
24Peter Veteran Member • Posts: 3,548

Robert Zanatta wrote:

This is great - thank you Robert. I too rely on being to scroll thru my .jpgs without needing to preview the RAW version of the same image. Now with Win 10 I have to scroll thru two of the same previews for every file - plus wait for the .cr2 to load. Microsoft thinks they are being helpful but they clearly didn't think this one thru (or at least they are not photographers.)

I recently had to replace a Win 7 machine that died and have to say Win 10 is full of these (stupid) little surprises. Like removing Windows Photo Viewer in favor of "Photos" app. OMG - what idiots! "Photos" app is totally inept - worthless even (not that Windows Photo Viewer was perfect, but way better than "Photos.") But for anyone who's interested... I found a way to delete the Photos app (because not only is it a worthless app but it keeps creating "Saved Pictures" and "Camera Roll" folders in my Pictures folder) and install Windows Photo Viewer on my new Win 10 machine. Now I have all the functionality of Windows Photo Viewer again! Such simple things make me happy... (You can also change the background color of the Windows Photo Viewer preview window to any color you want with another registry hack - I went to black instead of the default blueish white.)

It's only been a few days but I am not a fan of Win 10. All they seemed to have done is take everything that we knew in Win 7 and lay a dumbed-down shell on top of it, in the process making everything a more advanced user would want to use, hard to find. Kudos MS.

EDIT: Hmmm... after rebooting the .cr2 thumbnail previews are gone in Windows File Explorer. However, Windows Photo Viewer still displays the .cr2 file along with the .jpg when I scroll through them. Any ideas on how to delete the .cr2 preview/display in Windows Photo Viewer?

EDIT2: For anyone who's interested, here's how to get Windows Photo Viewer onto a Win 10 machine: http://www.howtogeek.com/225844/how-to-make-windows-photo-viewer-your-default-image-viewer-on-windows-10/

24Peter's gear list:24Peter's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D850
Tyronne New Member • Posts: 1

A colleague of mine (semi-pro photographer) asked me (a developer/programmer) the same question and as a lazy guy I decided to ask Goolge for help which leaded me here. I was disappointed that there were no solution to the problem so I had to dig trough windows "crappy" registry.

I'm posting the solution here and hope google will index it well so others can solve their problem.

I could'n find how to disable the preview in win. explorer but at least I managed to make Windows Photo Viewer to load only .jpg files and skip .cr2 files - which a lot of users want as I checked few other forums.

First you need to enable Windows Photo Viewer in windows 10 - you can find how in one of the previous comments. Then you need to:

1) in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT find .cr2 node and delete every sub node. delete also all key except (Default) and PerceivedType. Change PerceivedType value to something different than the current value which is "Image" by default - I changed it to "notImage"

2) find the Microsoft Camera Codec Pack node - mine was at

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{5FDD51E2-A9D0-44CE-8C8D-162BA0C591A0}

another one at

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{5FDD51E2-A9D0-44CE-8C8D-162BA0C591A0}

and another at

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{5FDD51E2-A9D0-44CE-8C8D-162BA0C591A0}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Classes\CLSID\{5FDD51E2-A9D0-44CE-8C8D-162BA0C591A0}

and deisble .cr2 extension in FileExtensions key

default value on my pc was:

.ARW,.CR2,.CRW,.ERF,.KDC,.MRW,.NEF,.NRW,.ORF,.PEF,.RAF,.RAW,.RW2,.RWL,.SR2,.SRW,.DNG

*in meter of facts I changed only the key value on the first node but later found that there are few more nodes - try by changing one by one till it works and restart the pc after every change as the registry needs to reload.

It may require to change the owner of the node as it is by default the "TrustedInstaller" user - just right click over the node then go to permissions -> Advanced and click on Change button at the Owner section on top (set it to your administrator account)

Hope it will help others - I know it is not the best explanation so send me an email or reply to this post for more info.

*to disable preview in win explorer there is another registry key but id did not work on my pc

johnpendleton
johnpendleton New Member • Posts: 11

TheTom wrote:

Steve2070 wrote:

Thanks

Steve

Why do you not just filter out the RAW files when you do not need the others? Filter to *.jpg... finished.

A lot of times the JPEG file needs to be used, or at least kept with the RAW as a set to be archived, but it's clear a lot of us had gotten used to using the lone JPEG thumbs as fast-loading reference images. And we'd like to keep doing that. So your solution does not, generally, help. But thanks for playing.

johnpendleton's gear list:johnpendleton's gear list
Panasonic LX10 Panasonic FZ2500 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +10 more
Patco Forum Pro • Posts: 14,138
  • johnpendleton wrote:

TheTom wrote:

Steve2070 wrote:

Thanks

Steve

A lot of times the JPEG file needs to be used, or at least kept with the RAW as a set to be archived, but it's clear a lot of us had gotten used to using the lone JPEG thumbs as fast-loading reference images. And we'd like to keep doing that. So your solution does not, generally, help. But thanks for playing.

The OP probably has this sorted since posting nine months ago. But thanks for playing.

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels

IanYorke Veteran Member • Posts: 3,530

24Peter wrote:

Robert Zanatta wrote:

This is great - thank you Robert. I too rely on being to scroll thru my .jpgs without needing to preview the RAW version of the same image. Now with Win 10 I have to scroll thru two of the same previews for every file - plus wait for the .cr2 to load. Microsoft thinks they are being helpful but they clearly didn't think this one thru (or at least they are not photographers.)

I recently had to replace a Win 7 machine that died and have to say Win 10 is full of these (stupid) little surprises. Like removing Windows Photo Viewer in favor of "Photos" app. OMG - what idiots! "Photos" app is totally inept - worthless even (not that Windows Photo Viewer was perfect, but way better than "Photos.") But for anyone who's interested... I found a way to delete the Photos app (because not only is it a worthless app but it keeps creating "Saved Pictures" and "Camera Roll" folders in my Pictures folder) and install Windows Photo Viewer on my new Win 10 machine. Now I have all the functionality of Windows Photo Viewer again! Such simple things make me happy... (You can also change the background color of the Windows Photo Viewer preview window to any color you want with another registry hack - I went to black instead of the default blueish white.)

It's only been a few days but I am not a fan of Win 10. All they seemed to have done is take everything that we knew in Win 7 and lay a dumbed-down shell on top of it, in the process making everything a more advanced user would want to use, hard to find. Kudos MS.

EDIT: Hmmm... after rebooting the .cr2 thumbnail previews are gone in Windows File Explorer. However, Windows Photo Viewer still displays the .cr2 file along with the .jpg when I scroll through them. Any ideas on how to delete the .cr2 preview/display in Windows Photo Viewer?

EDIT2: For anyone who's interested, here's how to get Windows Photo Viewer onto a Win 10 machine: http://www.howtogeek.com/225844/how-to-make-windows-photo-viewer-your-default-image-viewer-on-windows-10/

I am interested in why anyone would want to use the built in Photos / Photo Viewer apps when you can use Faststone?  What are the advantages?

Ian

AxelR Senior Member • Posts: 1,169

IanYorke wrote:

24Peter wrote:

Robert Zanatta wrote:

I am interested in why anyone would want to use the built in Photos / Photo Viewer apps when you can use Faststone? What are the advantages?

We know where Windows Photo Viewer and Photos comes from?

Ian

-- hide signature --
Balint91 New Member • Posts: 1

Hi All!

So it's been a long time, but this is the only link in my google search discussing this specific problem, so I thought I would summarize my experiences. I found these comments really helpful, and based on them I managed to make Win10 not to show index images for RAW files, to switch back to the original Photo Viewer _and_ having it skip raw files while browsing images. (So in other words everything is solved.)

I used Robert Zanatta's reply from 2015 dec 9 to solve the first problem (quick fix).

To get back the Photo Viewer, the howtogeek link in 24Peter's reply from 2016 Mar 31 was useful (also quick fix).

And to top all these, the post by Tyronne from 2016 May 24 solved the main issue. I'd have some things to add. It was not trivial for me to change the ownership of the registry nodes to my account (otherwise you can't edit the entries), but the link below details it very well.

https://ccm.net/faq/45190-how-to-take-ownership-of-a-registry-key-in-windows-10

Regarding the Microsoft Camera Codec Pack I changed the necessary registry values at all four registry paths (the CLSID code was the same for me). Also you will find another key callled MimeTypes, I deleted " image/CR2," (or what you'd like) from that as well.

So I'm a happy man now thanks to this.

Have a good one!

beninu New Member • Posts: 1

denisg wrote:

Steve2070 wrote:

Thanks

Steve

No idea as to how to change raw files to icon, sorry. However, my workaround is to alter the viewing of files. In windows 10 "Photos" is, to me, a totally useless app while "Photo Gallery" is little better. I always use Bridge in Photoshop but on occasion just view in Windows 10. In Windows I use File Explorer but have tried Photo Gallery too. For folders where Raw and .jpg files are mixed I choose to view by file type and adjust ascending or descending to suit which is viewed first. It's not what you wanted but it does separate the files so you are not looking at matching pairs. This works in most editors/file-viewers I know but I could find no way to do it in Photos.

Hope this helps if all else fails.

Denis.

EXACTLY!
You can choose to SORT by name but GROUP by type. That way you can just focus on the GROUP you are looking at.

beninu's gear list:beninu's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE PZ 28-135mm F4 G OSS Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +3 more
TarekB New Member • Posts: 1

Dear i did the 2 steps nothing has been changed. sadly ! do you expect why?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads