Advice for sewing machine users!

Started Dec 5, 2015 | Discussions
JulesJ
JulesJ Forum Pro • Posts: 43,692
Advice for sewing machine users!
4

From another time!

Jules

-- hide signature --

“A beautiful print is a thing in itself, not just a halfway house on the way to the page.” – Irving Penn

ZX11
ZX11 Senior Member • Posts: 4,396
Re: Advice for sewing machine users!

JulesJ wrote:

From another time!

Jules

-- hide signature --

“A beautiful print is a thing in itself, not just a halfway house on the way to the page.” – Irving Penn

Interesting considering how soon after the war this was. The women who ferried P-51's from the Northrup plant to the east coast military bases must have took the advice with a grain of salt. Or, the female ship welder. Or, Rivet Rhonda.

-- hide signature --

"Very funny, Scotty! Now beam me down my clothes."
"He's dead, Jim! You grab his tri-corder. I'll get his wallet."

 ZX11's gear list:ZX11's gear list
Canon EOS 700D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM
René Schuster Forum Pro • Posts: 14,004
Reminds me of this one:
1

JulesJ wrote:

From another time!

Jules

1920, "Regulations for Operation of Aircraft".

Seen some years ago (with the 2MP UZI) in the Best Western Hotel Botnia near the airport, Umeå, Sweden:

Must be quite foggy up there during some months of the year; all the taxi parked in front of the airport had these big fog lights, some even in police blue colour:

RS

Arnaud17 Senior Member • Posts: 3,480
Re: Reminds me of this one:

Yes, wearing spurs in the cockpit does not seem as necessary as knowing what all those levers and pedals are for.

-- hide signature --

Save the world - eat a banker !

bikinchris
bikinchris Forum Pro • Posts: 20,876
Re: Advice for sewing machine users!

ZX11 wrote:

JulesJ wrote:

From another time!

Jules

-- hide signature --

“A beautiful print is a thing in itself, not just a halfway house on the way to the page.” – Irving Penn

Interesting considering how soon after the war this was. The women who ferried P-51's from the Northrup plant to the east coast military bases must have took the advice with a grain of salt. Or, the female ship welder. Or, Rivet Rhonda.

Rosie the riveter?

-- hide signature --

"Very funny, Scotty! Now beam me down my clothes."
"He's dead, Jim! You grab his tri-corder. I'll get his wallet."

-- hide signature --

Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I have hope for the human race." ~ H.G. Wells

 bikinchris's gear list:bikinchris's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D4S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR +1 more
MASADA
MASADA Senior Member • Posts: 2,014
Re: Advice for sewing machine users!

JulesJ wrote:

From another time!

Jules

-- hide signature --

“A beautiful print is a thing in itself, not just a halfway house on the way to the page.” – Irving Penn

I must admit, in 1974 I did approach an electric sewing machine with a certain amount of lackadaisically...coz, the flippin' needle went right through my little finger on the right hand.

Ouch that hurt...the metal is still lodged in the bone to this very day

Needless to say, I stayed away from those contraptions ever since.

ZX11
ZX11 Senior Member • Posts: 4,396
Yes, that one

bikinchris wrote:

ZX11 wrote:

JulesJ wrote:

From another time!

Jules

-- hide signature --

“A beautiful print is a thing in itself, not just a halfway house on the way to the page.” – Irving Penn

Interesting considering how soon after the war this was. The women who ferried P-51's from the Northrup plant to the east coast military bases must have took the advice with a grain of salt. Or, the female ship welder. Or, Rivet Rhonda.

Rosie the riveter?

Yep, all those ladies in the WWII workforce.

I bought a sewing machine since not having one kept burning me.  Always seemed to run into times were it would be useful.  First time I used it, I didn't put the foot down and hit some thick material.  The needle broke and ricocheted right by my eye.  I wear eye protection now and figure my sewing machine is far more dangerous than my table saw.

Used it to sew a small pouch onto my tripod stand's fabric case.  The pouch holds the allen key and tool for the shoe, that came with the stand.

-- hide signature --

"Very funny, Scotty! Now beam me down my clothes."
"He's dead, Jim! You grab his tri-corder. I'll get his wallet."

 ZX11's gear list:ZX11's gear list
Canon EOS 700D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM
Stantzen
Stantzen Regular Member • Posts: 263
Re: Advice for sewing machine users!

JulesJ wrote:

From another time!

Jules

-- hide signature --

“A beautiful print is a thing in itself, not just a halfway house on the way to the page.” – Irving Penn

I must admit, in 1974 I did approach an electric sewing machine with a certain amount of lackadaisically...coz, the flippin' needle went right through my little finger on the right hand.

Ouch that hurt...the metal is still lodged in the bone to this very day

Needless to say, I stayed away from those contraptions ever since.

Those sewing machines sound dangerous.

Maybe we should all be arguing about sewing machine controls rather than gun controls.
--
Nothing they have ever said about me is true.

hdr Senior Member • Posts: 2,833
Re: Advice fodr sewing machine users!

JulesJ wrote:

From another time!

Jules

-- hide signature --

“A beautiful print is a thing in itself, not just a halfway house on the way to the page.” – Irving Penn

I must admit, in 1974 I did approach an electric sewing machine with a certain amount of lackadaisically...coz, the flippin' needle went right through my little finger on the right hand.

Ouch that hurt...the metal is still lodged in the bone to this very day

Needless to say, I stayed away from those contraptions ever since.

You have '-;needle phobia'?
--
http://SingaporeGallery.com : Sightseeing Without Hassle

TrapperJohn Forum Pro • Posts: 16,439
Actually...

A friend of my mother was a ferry pilot during the war. According to her, they wore flight suits, but went to great lengths with hair and makeup, and their best perfume.

Partially, because they were likely to meet lots of single young men, and as she said, just to give the boys a boost and remind them what would be waiting back home... if they got back home... More than one WW2 pilot commented on the lingering perfume smell in the planes so delivered.

Robin Olds, in his book, told of the first four Mustangs delivered to his squadron in the UK. The planes executed a perfect formation landing, parked in unison, and the pilots then removed their flying leather helmets, revealing long hair. The ferry pilots were all young, pretty girls. And, no, they weren't lacking for attention in the officer's club that evening.

ZX11
ZX11 Senior Member • Posts: 4,396
Re: Actually...

TrapperJohn wrote:

A friend of my mother was a ferry pilot during the war. According to her, they wore flight suits, but went to great lengths with hair and makeup, and their best perfume.

Partially, because they were likely to meet lots of single young men, and as she said, just to give the boys a boost and remind them what would be waiting back home... if they got back home... More than one WW2 pilot commented on the lingering perfume smell in the planes so delivered.

Robin Olds, in his book, told of the first four Mustangs delivered to his squadron in the UK. The planes executed a perfect formation landing, parked in unison, and the pilots then removed their flying leather helmets, revealing long hair. The ferry pilots were all young, pretty girls. And, no, they weren't lacking for attention in the officer's club that evening.

So these women delivered single engine fighter planes (or other military planes) by flying them across the atlantic or other oceans, then encountered the sewing machine instructions posted by the OP.  Having mechanical problems on one of the hops across the North Atlantic being fairly fatal.

Ah, the funny old days and their customs.  They make entertaining reading.

-- hide signature --

"Very funny, Scotty! Now beam me down my clothes."
"He's dead, Jim! You grab his tri-corder. I'll get his wallet."

 ZX11's gear list:ZX11's gear list
Canon EOS 700D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM
Arnaud17 Senior Member • Posts: 3,480
Re: Advice for sewing machine users!

My mother only used Singer sewing machines.
Some people even believe that Isaac Singer invented the sewing machine, that's how good he was in marketing.

-- hide signature --

Save the world - eat a banker !

JulesJ
JulesJ OP Forum Pro • Posts: 43,692
Re: Yes, that one

ZX11 wrote:

bikinchris wrote:

ZX11 wrote:

JulesJ wrote:

From another time!

Jules

-- hide signature --

“A beautiful print is a thing in itself, not just a halfway house on the way to the page.” – Irving Penn

Interesting considering how soon after the war this was. The women who ferried P-51's from the Northrup plant to the east coast military bases must have took the advice with a grain of salt. Or, the female ship welder. Or, Rivet Rhonda.

Rosie the riveter?

Yep, all those ladies in the WWII workforce.

I bought a sewing machine since not having one kept burning me. Always seemed to run into times were it would be useful. First time I used it, I didn't put the foot down and hit some thick material. The needle broke and ricocheted right by my eye. I wear eye prI remem

Used it to sew a small pouch onto my tripod stand's fabric case. The pouch holds the allen key and tool for the shoe, that came with the stand.

-- hide signature --

"Very funny, Scotty! Now beam me down my clothes."
"He's dead, Jim! You grab his tri-corder. I'll get his wallet."

I remember well my mother's pedal operated Singer and her using it.

-- hide signature --

“A beautiful print is a thing in itself, not just a halfway house on the way to the page.” – Irving Penn

John1940
John1940 Senior Member • Posts: 2,578
Times have changed!

The user guide for my 2014 Polaris 4x4 ATV contains 14 pages of safety instructions up front. They are mostly to protect Polaris against frivolous law suits in case you drive the thing into a tree trunk or rock face at high speed.

-- hide signature --

John1940

 John1940's gear list:John1940's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
richardplondon
richardplondon Forum Pro • Posts: 10,430
Re: Reminds me of this one:

Arnaud17 wrote:

Yes, wearing spurs in the cockpit does not seem as necessary as knowing what all those levers and pedals are for.

It remains to be explained why RAF ceremonial uniform sometimes includes a sword...

 richardplondon's gear list:richardplondon's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads