Panasonic G7 lens focus noise? Does your make it?

Started Dec 4, 2015 | Discussions
Doc Emmith Brown New Member • Posts: 7
Panasonic G7 lens focus noise? Does your make it?

Hello everybody, I am new to photography and have recently picked up a Panasonic G7. I am using the kit 14-42mm lens, and I notice when I use auto focus on AFS and press the shutter, there is a quite audible noise from the lens when it initially focuses. Is this noise normal for this lens? The reason I ask is because I previously had a Panasonic G5 with the first version of the 14-42mm lens and don't recall the same focusing noise. One of my main uses will be video so that would suck to have that focusing noise present during recording. I have not yet had the chance to record videos, but I will soon. Thanks for your help.

TruckTurner
TruckTurner Forum Member • Posts: 80
Re: Panasonic G7 lens focus noise? Does your make it?

I just checked mine.  I can hear some very minor noise from the lens when it focuses but nothing I'd consider abnormal.

TruckTurner's gear list:TruckTurner's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7
Aberaeron Senior Member • Posts: 5,950
Re: Panasonic G7 lens focus noise? Does your make it?

There might be a slight hum, probably due to the lens stabilisation. It shouldn't be very noticeable unless you are in a very quiet place indeed.

The biggest problem I have with video noise is that when I shoot handheld using the EVF, or even if not, it picks up my breathing. It does not pick up any noise from the lens.

This is in stark contrast to my Sony A57, which I have to use in manual focus with video, because all my lenses are horrendously noisy when auto-focussing. Almost like a vacuum cleaner motor.

Aberaeron's gear list:Aberaeron's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Sony SLT-A57 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro +21 more
alcelc
alcelc Veteran Member • Posts: 7,198
PZ lenses?

Aberaeron wrote:

There might be a slight hum, probably due to the lens stabilisation. It shouldn't be very noticeable unless you are in a very quiet place indeed.

The biggest problem I have with video noise is that when I shoot handheld using the EVF, or even if not, it picks up my breathing. It does not pick up any noise from the lens.

This is in stark contrast to my Sony A57, which I have to use in manual focus with video, because all my lenses are horrendously noisy when auto-focussing. Almost like a vacuum cleaner motor.

Dear friend, it would come to the pair of PZ zooms (14-42PZ and 45-175PZ) which would be close to silence in focusing/zooming. They were originally created for video purpose. Unfortunately, IQ on 14-42 PZ might slightly be behind other Panny kit zoom (except 14-42 I).

-- hide signature --

Albert

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads