Nikon's purchase of Samsung's mirrorless system makes sense

Started Dec 2, 2015 | Discussions
olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 24,382
Re: Nikon's purchase of Samsung's mirrorless system makes sense

ludwik123 wrote:

anthony mazzeri wrote:

So Nikon has bought Samsung's NX system lock stock and barrel to relaunch it as Nikon's new pro-level mirrorless system and hit the ground running.

Sort of makes sense as they don't even need to change the name and it slots right in - CX, DX, NX, FX.

So maybe no more V models in the CX line?

If it's true. I hope there is a firesale on N1 lenses. I want the 70-300.

Don't hold your breath...

Even if it would be true, it would not be the end of N1, not even the V models. Quite the opposite, it would mean the end of DX.

Not that I think it will ever happen, since Samsung uses a different flange distance and bayonet and I don't think Nikon has any needs to buy into and start up a new format at all. There would be ZERO advantage for Nikon or Samsung users and market wise it would make no sense. Nikon can free of charge (I mean without paying extra to Samsung) start production if larger format mirrorless cameras if they wanted to, they really don't need Samsung.

xarafan Regular Member • Posts: 136
Re: NIkon not buying Samsung mirrorless system ..

Maybe Nikon will use the sensor technology of the Samsung NX Mini for their Nikon 1-cameras Almost as good as the 1"-sensors from Sony...

xarafan's gear list:xarafan's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 S1 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +9 more
Earthrise
Earthrise Contributing Member • Posts: 742

anthony mazzeri wrote:

Earthrise wrote:

It is very interesting if true, which I think (guess) it is. I have never owned a Nikon, I would never buy into a dslr system now, the sensor size in the cx line is too small for me, the Sony A7 line lacks finesse and polish, same for the Samsung's themselves, but a Nikon mirrorless with the guts of the NX1, APS-C or FF I would take a very long hard look at.

Yep, I was hoping for a Ricoh acquisition of the NX system. The NX1 gizzards with Ricoh interface and GR-lenses would have been a show-stopper. But a Nikon buyout is the next best option.

At the very least the best news is Nikon finally has focus-peaking technology they can put in all their cameras now, even if they had to go out and buy it!

Yep, exactly, I'd hoped Ricoh would do this, but Nikon would be my second choice. Can I say that in a Nikon forum?

As you have mentioned elsewhere I don't think Nikon is buying the Samsung camera division or business, but instead Samsung will supply sensors and Nikon have bought or licensed some tech or IP.  And there is alot of very good stuff in the NX that Nikon could use, e.g. H.265 pipeline.  Any mirrorless cam from Nikon will be a Nikon and not a rebadged Samsung.

I think the NX is failing not because of lack of quality, but down to investment in glass.  The big spenders Samsung would need to encourage to make this a success would probably sit on the fence.  Investing that kind of money you would want to be sure that there was a long term future for the system and I think many waited to see how things panned out.  But that waiting itself brought to pass the kind of thing the people were waiting to see if happened.  A circular self-prophetic market!

If this does come to pass I will be very curious how Nikon positions this.  Is this the future for APS-C cameras or will it be FF as well.

Earthrise's gear list:Earthrise's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GXR Mount A12
Nung Senior Member • Posts: 1,269

Cliff Fujii wrote:

jonikon wrote:

anthony mazzeri wrote:

So Nikon has bought Samsung's NX system lock stock and barrel to relaunch it as Nikon's new pro-level mirrorless system and hit the ground running.

Sort of makes sense as they don't even need to change the name and it slots right in - CX, DX, NX, FX.

This is just a rumor and may very well be false. Even if true, there will be an an enthusiast's body for the CX mount in the future. My guess is that Nikon entered an agreement with Samsung for it's sensors and that's all.

- Jon

If the rumor is true, I would think that the CX mount will go the same way as the DX mount. In the end, I think that it will be just FX mount and whatever they call the mount for their mirrorless camera.

Don't quite understand! DX and FX shares the same mount, the F-mount, which Nikon have been using for quite a while. As far as I know, Nikon only have 2 mounts currently in production, the F-mount for DSLR, and the CX mount for N1.

Nung's gear list:Nung's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +11 more
Rock and Rollei Senior Member • Posts: 1,102
Re: Nikon's purchase of Samsung's mirrorless system not happening

anthony mazzeri wrote:

It's not true, of course:

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/latest/photo-news/official-statement-samsung-denies-nikon-is-buying-its-nx-camera-technology-66626

They might use Samsung as a sensor supplier, of course.

Rock and Rollei's gear list:Rock and Rollei's gear list
Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II +21 more
olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 24,382

Nung wrote:

Cliff Fujii wrote:

jonikon wrote:

anthony mazzeri wrote:

This is just a rumor and may very well be false. Even if true, there will be an an enthusiast's body for the CX mount in the future. My guess is that Nikon entered an agreement with Samsung for it's sensors and that's all.

- Jon

If the rumor is true, I would think that the CX mount will go the same way as the DX mount. In the end, I think that it will be just FX mount and whatever they call the mount for their mirrorless camera.

Don't quite understand! DX and FX shares the same mount, the F-mount, which Nikon have been using for quite a while. As far as I know, Nikon only have 2 mounts currently in production, the F-mount for DSLR, and the CX mount for N1.

There is no DX mount, only F and CX but there are CX, DX and FX lenses. DX lenses can be used on FX if the image is cropped to DX size.

Earthrise

Rock and Rollei wrote:

anthony mazzeri wrote:

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/latest/photo-news/official-statement-samsung-denies-nikon-is-buying-its-nx-camera-technology-66626

This is turning into the most entertaining rumor in years! 

Cliff Fujii
Cliff Fujii Veteran Member • Posts: 8,307

Nung wrote:

Cliff Fujii wrote:

jonikon wrote:

anthony mazzeri wrote:

- Jon

DX vs. FX is like saying logical vs physical.  I believe that the DX and FX mounts are electrically similar and physically compatible.  DX is a way of indicating that the lens is a 1.5 crop vs full frame (FX) which is a 1.0 crop when compared to 35mm film.  CX is electrically and physically incompatible with FX and DX lenses.  You need the FT-1 to use DX and FX lenses on a CX mount camera.  This is a case of logical and physical differences.

-- hide signature --

Cliff

Cliff Fujii's gear list:Cliff Fujii's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon D810 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon Z7 +52 more
OP anthony mazzeri Senior Member • Posts: 2,057

Rock and Rollei wrote:

This is the same Samsung UK spokesman who denied back in September they were pulling out of the UK.

Only to then pull out of the UK.

Based on the evidence of his previously perjuring himself publicly just to help to clear his remaining inventory, if this person says something is not true then it very likely actually is true.

So the only question is not whether it's true or not, but why is he lying again. His inventory is now cleared and he's got his framed Samsung corporate schill of the month award on his wall, so what's left to protect now?

-- hide signature --
Earthrise

anthony mazzeri wrote:

Rock and Rollei wrote:

This is the same Samsung UK spokesman who denied back in September they were pulling out of the UK.

Only to then pull out of the UK.

Based on the evidence of his previously perjuring himself publicly just to help to clear his remaining inventory, if this person says something is not true then it very likely actually is true.

So the only question is not whether it's true or not, but why is he lying again. His inventory is now cleared and he's got his framed Samsung corporate schill of the month award on his wall, so what's left to protect now?

Probably word games.  The difference between buying ownership of the technology and buying components from.  And previously it was the difference between buying a camera from a dealer in the UK and buying it direct from Samsung whilst in the UK.

OP anthony mazzeri Senior Member • Posts: 2,057

All this talk about DX and FX, what about the NX Mini?

The three Mini lenses look to be similar to Nikon 1's so no real point porting them over.

But Samsung 1" sensors from now on?

-- hide signature --
Nung Senior Member • Posts: 1,269

Cliff Fujii wrote:

Nung wrote:

Cliff Fujii wrote:

jonikon wrote:

anthony mazzeri wrote:

- Jon

DX vs. FX is like saying logical vs physical. I believe that the DX and FX mounts are electrically similar and physically compatible. DX is a way of indicating that the lens is a 1.5 crop vs full frame (FX) which is a 1.0 crop when compared to 35mm film. CX is electrically and physically incompatible with FX and DX lenses. You need the FT-1 to use DX and FX lenses on a CX mount camera. This is a case of logical and physical differences.

Strange way to put it, but Ok............

Nung's gear list:Nung's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +11 more
win39 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,560
Not True

Denied by both parties in no uncertain terms.

And it would not make sense if it were. There is nothing that Samsung has that Nikon would want, that it does not already have, or has already patented. Certainly they would not want the Samsung abysmal market.

Tugela Contributing Member • Posts: 748
Re: Not True

win39 wrote:

And it would not make sense if it were. There is nothing that Samsung has that Nikon would want, that it does not already have, or has already patented. Certainly they would not want the Samsung abysmal market.

Neither company has issued a press release denying it, so it is not denied.

Tugela's gear list:Tugela's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Sony RX100 V Nikon Coolpix P1000 Samsung NX1
nunatak Senior Member • Posts: 2,739
more facts, less rumors (n/t)
-- hide signature --

design guy

Richard Murdey
Richard Murdey Senior Member • Posts: 2,821

Tugela wrote:

win39 wrote:

Yes, they have:

http://nikonrumors.com/2015/12/07/nikon-also-denies-rumors-about-purchasing-samsungs-camera-division.aspx/

Richard Murdey's gear list:Richard Murdey's gear list
Nikon D750 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/21 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/25 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35 Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 +7 more
Rock and Rollei Senior Member • Posts: 1,102

Richard Murdey wrote:

Tugela wrote:

win39 wrote:

Yes, they have:

http://nikonrumors.com/2015/12/07/nikon-also-denies-rumors-about-purchasing-samsungs-camera-division.aspx/

The biggest denial in all this is the one some people here are in...

Rock and Rollei's gear list:Rock and Rollei's gear list
Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II +21 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads