Mirrorless Rumor: Nikon bought Samsung mirrorless and sensor tech

Started Dec 2, 2015 | Discussions
Andrea Georgia Contributing Member • Posts: 959
Mirrorless Rumor: Nikon bought Samsung mirrorless and sensor tech

If true, a great move, imo. CES will bring more clarity.

I own a bunch of Nikons (which I love, no doubt) and the Samsung NX1 and NX500, and I have to say that the latter two really got me hooked on APS-C mirrorless and Samsung's technology. Highly recommended.

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/hot-rumor-nikon-bought-samsung-nx-mirrorless-tech/

Andrea

Andrea Georgia's gear list:Andrea Georgia's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX80 Nikon D200 Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 +19 more
Samsung NX500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
D200_4me
D200_4me Veteran Member • Posts: 4,740
Re: Mirrorless Rumor: Nikon bought Samsung mirrorless and sensor tech

If that's true, I think it could be very interesting and will be good for Nikon.  It'll bring a lot of talent and features/functions for future camera development.  It would go a long way to helping them with a nice mirrorless camera.  I just hope they don't screw it up and turn the camera into a dang smartphone type of product.  Stick with the Nikon interfaces everyone knows well and that work well.  Just simply add new features/functions...and that'll be great.

-- hide signature --
 D200_4me's gear list:D200_4me's gear list
Nikon Z7 Sony a6100 Nikon Z5 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +3 more
OP Andrea Georgia Contributing Member • Posts: 959

Im sure they'll remain "proper" cameras, but with advanced (and mobile) tech. The UI of the NX1 and NX500, especially their Super Amoled touch screens and menus are simply superb, trust me. Definitely worth taking on board.

-- hide signature --

Andrea

Andrea Georgia's gear list:Andrea Georgia's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX80 Nikon D200 Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 +19 more
D200_4me
D200_4me Veteran Member • Posts: 4,740

Sure, if they can blend the best of both together, that will be great.  I just wonder if they'll be able to use the F mount lenses on a full frame mirrorless.  I'm not an engineer and don't spend any time researching mounts and so on, but all I know is that if they can indeed mate the F mount lens to a mirrorless body without an adapter, that would be wonderful.  I like using native lenses.  I don't like being told I can use any lens I want (with various and differing limitations) by way of an adapter.  No thanks.

-- hide signature --
 D200_4me's gear list:D200_4me's gear list
Nikon Z7 Sony a6100 Nikon Z5 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +3 more
JacquesC
JacquesC Veteran Member • Posts: 4,094

I really hope Nikon gets going with a serious mirrorless camera soon. Having used various mirrorless cameras over the past couple of years in addition to my Nikon DSLR's I've come to appreciate the advantages that it brings.

If Nikon can produce a camera that brings the best of DSLR and mirrorless together it will be one serious piece of kit!

-- hide signature --

Jacques
apple-and-eve.com

drivecancel Regular Member • Posts: 258

That is really cool if it's true, the NX1 interface is superb. If they can combine the NX1 autofocus (or D750 level) with a full frame Nik-sony sensor and 4k video it would be attention grabbing. Being F mount as well, there would be very little reason to choose Sony's system over it.

drivecancel's gear list:drivecancel's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D750 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +1 more
Albert Silver Veteran Member • Posts: 3,313

drivecancel wrote:

That is really cool if it's true, the NX1 interface is superb. If they can combine the NX1 autofocus (or D750 level) with a full frame Nik-sony sensor and 4k video it would be attention grabbing. Being F mount as well, there would be very little reason to choose Sony's system over it.

You mean Samsung sensor.

Albert Silver's gear list:Albert Silver's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD +1 more

Albert Silver wrote:

drivecancel wrote:

You mean Samsung sensor.

I don't think Samsung have designed a full frame sensor before so I'd be plenty happy if it's another Sony sensor as they are well proven in the D750 and D810.

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D750 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +1 more

drivecancel wrote:

Albert Silver wrote:

drivecancel wrote:

You mean Samsung sensor.

I don't think Samsung have designed a full frame sensor before so I'd be plenty happy if it's another Sony sensor as they are well proven in the D750 and D810.

Considering the article explains the entire reason for it was for Samsung's sensor tech....

Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD +1 more

Albert Silver wrote:

drivecancel wrote:

Albert Silver wrote:

drivecancel wrote:

You mean Samsung sensor.

I don't think Samsung have designed a full frame sensor before so I'd be plenty happy if it's another Sony sensor as they are well proven in the D750 and D810.

Considering the article explains the entire reason for it was for Samsung's sensor tech....

I was implying I would prefer a Sony sensor as we already know how good some of them are.

Samsung vs Sony sensor

drivecancel wrote:

Albert Silver wrote:

drivecancel wrote:

Albert Silver wrote:

drivecancel wrote:

You mean Samsung sensor.

Considering the article explains the entire reason for it was for Samsung's sensor tech....

I was implying I would prefer a Sony sensor as we already know how good some of them are.

Well, Samsung's APS-C sensors are nothing to spit at.

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Samsung-NX500-versus-Sony-A6000___1007_942

No reason why this would not apply to FF.

aspalmat Regular Member • Posts: 498

This really is interesting news.  Sure will be interesting to see what they come out with.

I wonder of it will be a APS-C sensor first, and then a full frame sensor down the road?  I've started to go down the Sony path with an A6000 and A7.  Maybe I will hold off on investing in any more Sony glass until we have an idea what Nikon is going to do.

aspalmat's gear list:aspalmat's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D750 Sony a7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD +4 more
aut0maticdan
aut0maticdan Senior Member • Posts: 1,260

That is basically liveview on any modern Nikon DSLR.
--
https://www.flickr.com/photos/danielwharton

aut0maticdan's gear list:aut0maticdan's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon Df Sony a7S II Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
WhiskeyBeforeBreakfast Senior Member • Posts: 1,153

Andrea Georgia wrote:

I own a bunch of Nikons (which I love, no doubt) and the Samsung NX1 and NX500, and I have to say that the latter two really got me hooked on APS-C mirrorless and Samsung's technology. Highly recommended.

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/hot-rumor-nikon-bought-samsung-nx-mirrorless-tech/

Andrea

If this isn't just click-bait bull, it may explain the D5 work-in-progress announcement as an assurance to the DSLR faithful.

Siobhan A Senior Member • Posts: 1,857
And expect better than that

Albert Silver wrote:

drivecancel wrote:

Albert Silver wrote:

drivecancel wrote:

Albert Silver wrote:

drivecancel wrote:

You mean Samsung sensor.

Well, Samsung's APS-C sensors are nothing to spit at.

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Samsung-NX500-versus-Sony-A6000___1007_942

No reason why this would not apply to FF.

Samsung was never good at getting the most from sensors and Nikon has shown they can extract more DR from Sony sensors than Sony.   With these new BSI copper process sensors, I'd be shocked if Nikon didn't get at least 1/2 a stop better results.

Siobhan A Senior Member • Posts: 1,857
Imagine a Nikon NX1-like professional camera

Imaging being able to use all our Nikon lenses on a new Nikon body with a BSI copper process 65nm 35mm sensor and it having specification like the NX1.

Who wouldn't want that? 

TacticDesigns
TacticDesigns Veteran Member • Posts: 7,976
Fingers and toes crossed on this one . . . LOL.

Andrea Georgia wrote:

Andrea

I happened to see the teaser on mirrorless rumors yesterday about something being posted about Samsung today. I was thinking it was going to be Canon that partners up with Samsung. But I like this rumor much better! LOL.

Can't wait to hear the fall out on this one and what might be coming down the road.

In the meantime . . . I'm going to go shoot some picts with my D750.

Take care & Happy Shooting!

-- hide signature --
 TacticDesigns's gear list:TacticDesigns's gear list
Fujifilm XP80 Nikon D5100 Pentax Q Nikon D750 Pentax *ist DS +9 more
Canadianguy Senior Member • Posts: 2,585

Rumour doesn't really make any sense to me.

What tech would Nikon want that Samsung has?

Processor tech - is Nikon switching from Fujitsu? Their entire line is based on Fujitsu processors - that's a big overhaul

Sensor tech - Nikon never had any interest in becoming a chip manufacturer, why now - they already have the know how to design their own (D3 / D4) sensors and can outsource production to any Fab plant in the world. They already make the equipment used in the Fab plants so they know what's possible and already have close relationships with the Fabs.

CDAF tech - Nikon already has it from their 1 series experiments - they just need to bring it into their DSLRs

Wifi tech - Samsung has the latest Wifi tech due to their mobile phone division - so that would be an improvement.

Connectivity to Mobile phones - that is something that Samsung has as the camera division sat inside their mobile division.

So the only tech I see as worth having is connectivity to mobile phones. Which isn't a core feature I look for in my cameras. Its a nice to have for sure but not core.

Maybe its a partnership for improved connectivity to Samsung phones that they are announcing?

Plus there is also the Cultural angle - I am not a cultural expert but for a Korean firm to be selling out to a Japanese firm doesn't seem likely. The 2 countries are not the best of friends.

Albert Silver wrote:

drivecancel wrote:

Albert Silver wrote:

drivecancel wrote:

You mean Samsung sensor.

Canadianguy wrote:

Processor tech - is Nikon switching from Fujitsu? Their entire line is based on Fujitsu processors - that's a big overhaul

Sensor tech - Nikon never had any interest in becoming a chip manufacturer, why now

Did you read the article?

- they already have the know how to design their own (D3 / D4) sensors and can outsource production to any Fab plant in the world. They already make the equipment used in the Fab plants so they know what's possible and already have close relationships with the Fabs.

CDAF tech - Nikon already has it from their 1 series experiments - they just need to bring it into their DSLRs

Wifi tech - Samsung has the latest Wifi tech due to their mobile phone division - so that would be an improvement.

Connectivity to Mobile phones - that is something that Samsung has as the camera division sat inside their mobile division.

So the only tech I see as worth having is connectivity to mobile phones. Which isn't a core feature I look for in my cameras. Its a nice to have for sure but not core.

Maybe its a partnership for improved connectivity to Samsung phones that they are announcing?

Plus there is also the Cultural angle - I am not a cultural expert but for a Korean firm to be selling out to a Japanese firm doesn't seem likely. The 2 countries are not the best of friends.

Albert Silver wrote:

drivecancel wrote:

Albert Silver wrote:

drivecancel wrote:

You mean Samsung sensor.

-- hide signature --
DAVID MANZE Veteran Member • Posts: 6,376

Canadianguy wrote:

Sensor tech - Nikon never had any interest in becoming a chip manufacturer, why now - they already have the know how to design their own (D3 / D4) sensors and can outsource production to any Fab plant in the world. They already make the equipment used in the Fab plants so they know what's possible and already have close relationships with the Fabs.

Albert Silver wrote:

drivecancel wrote:

Albert Silver wrote:

drivecancel wrote:

You mean Samsung sensor.

What about the tech that gives the NX1 15Fps with AF-C, 4K video, focus peaking, top of the range EVFs and BSI sensors, isn't that kind of worth having??

Probably the technical staff would be thrown in on the deal, if so it would be just what a top flight DSLR camera company would be looking for, given the swing to ILMCs is well underway, how are Canon going to look "if in an instant" Nikon are one of the biggest players in mirror-less world at a stroke?

If it's true it's a super shrewd move!

-- hide signature --

Dave's clichés

DAVID MANZE's gear list:DAVID MANZE's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads