SD card not recognized by computer's card reader

Started Nov 30, 2015 | Questions
DMKAlex
DMKAlex Veteran Member • Posts: 6,373
SD card not recognized by computer's card reader

I'd just starting to use my new used D800, which has a SD slot.

I inserted a 32 gb Sandisk Extreme Plus card and took some pictures. I am able to review the images from the camera's preview.

But when I removed the card and inserted it to the computer's card reader, the computer doesn't recognized the card. I heard the computer beep when I inserted it so physically, it recognized it. But can't find the card in windows explorer or disk management.

I took the card out and inserted it back to the camera and was able to find the images. I could format the card without error in the camera and took some pictures again. Everything is OK on the camera's side, but not in the computer.

I had tried this in multiple computers and they are pretty new computers.

Any suggestion?

 DMKAlex's gear list:DMKAlex's gear list
Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG 50-200mm F2.8-4 +2 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jim Cockfield Forum Pro • Posts: 16,342
Re: SD card not recognized by computer's card reader

What computer (brand/model)?

What Operating System (32 bit XP, 32 bit vista, 64 bit vista, 32 bit win 7, 64 bit win 7, 64 bit win 8, etc.)?

Is the card reader built into the computer you are using, or is a card reader you added (Usb attached, or other)? If you added it, do you know the brand and model number?

32GB Secure digital cards are SDHC cards, and use a FAT32 File System. Not all card readers and operating system are compatible with SDHC cards (some are only compatible with SD cards of 16gb or smaller).

More info about your computer model, the card reader it has in it,, and your operating system is needed to help isolate the problem.

For example, if you are using a card reader that is compatible with 32GB SDHC cards (and many older readers are not SDHC compatible), then you may need to install a patch to your operating system to read them (hence, why we need to know exactly what Operating system you're using, too).

Chances are, your computer's card reader is just too old to be compatible with SDHC (versus SD Cards). But, other things can cause problems, too (for example, your camera may be using the newer exFAT vs FAT32 file system, meaning you may need to install updates to your Operating System to support that file system).

So, I'd give more information about your computer, operating system being used, and card reader for more informed responses.

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

Mark B.
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 29,466
Re: SD card not recognized by computer's card reader

DMKAlex wrote:

I'd just starting to use my new used D800, which has a SD slot.

I inserted a 32 gb Sandisk Extreme Plus card and took some pictures. I am able to review the images from the camera's preview.

But when I removed the card and inserted it to the computer's card reader, the computer doesn't recognized the card. I heard the computer beep when I inserted it so physically, it recognized it. But can't find the card in windows explorer or disk management.

I took the card out and inserted it back to the camera and was able to find the images. I could format the card without error in the camera and took some pictures again. Everything is OK on the camera's side, but not in the computer.

I had tried this in multiple computers and they are pretty new computers.

Any suggestion?

Try a different card, see if you get the same result.

DMKAlex
OP DMKAlex Veteran Member • Posts: 6,373
Re: SD card not recognized by computer's card reader

Jim Cockfield wrote:

What computer (brand/model)?

What Operating System (32 bit XP, 32 bit vista, 64 bit vista, 32 bit win 7, 64 bit win 7, 64 bit win 8, etc.)?

JimC
------

The computer is relatively new i7 computer running Windows 10.

It is a Toshiba laptop with built in SD card reader slot.

Both the card and the computer slot are good because I used it to read other non-camera SD. The card is good because I was able to take pictures, format and preview in the camera.

 DMKAlex's gear list:DMKAlex's gear list
Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG 50-200mm F2.8-4 +2 more
Mark B.
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 29,466
Re: SD card not recognized by computer's card reader

DMKAlex wrote:

Jim Cockfield wrote:

What computer (brand/model)?

What Operating System (32 bit XP, 32 bit vista, 64 bit vista, 32 bit win 7, 64 bit win 7, 64 bit win 8, etc.)?

JimC
------

The computer is relatively new i7 computer running Windows 10.

It is a Toshiba laptop with built in SD card reader slot.

Both the card and the computer slot are good because I used it to read other non-camera SD. The card is good because I was able to take pictures, format and preview in the camera.

One way to troubleshoot is to change one variable and leave all others the same.  As I suggested, try another SD card with the same camera and same laptop.

DMKAlex
OP DMKAlex Veteran Member • Posts: 6,373
Re: SD card not recognized by computer's card reader
1

I think I'd resolve the problem by trying  . . .

I inserted the card and heard the beeping sound that recognized the card was inserted.

I opened up window explorer and it was not there. I right clicked on This PC and clicked on "Manage".

I clicked device and found SDHC card under Disk Drive. I right clicked to property and found that the device was disabled. Then I enabled it and it works now.

It said something like the device was not working properly so it was disabled.

 DMKAlex's gear list:DMKAlex's gear list
Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG 50-200mm F2.8-4 +2 more
Bobby49 Senior Member • Posts: 2,533
Re: SD card not recognized by computer's card reader

DMKAlex wrote:

It said something like the device was not working properly so it was disabled.

Now what?

DMKAlex
OP DMKAlex Veteran Member • Posts: 6,373
Re: SD card not recognized by computer's card reader

I'd just enabled it and it works now.

 DMKAlex's gear list:DMKAlex's gear list
Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG 50-200mm F2.8-4 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads