Can'f fire YN600EX-RT with YN-E3-RT on A7Rii

Started Nov 28, 2015 | Discussions
MaxN Regular Member • Posts: 101
Can'f fire YN600EX-RT with YN-E3-RT on A7Rii

On an A7Rii my Yongnuo YN-E3-RT speedlite transmitter will fire my Canon 600EX-RT, but it won't fire my YN600EX-RT. I can't figure out why. I hope someone can help.

I am using manual mode, and the test button on the transmitter will fire both the Canon and Yongnuo slave flashes in wireless mode (either both together as group A/B, or just using one at a time), and the transmitter also works fine on a Canon camera, but I slip the transmitter onto the Sony camera and it only fires the Canon flash.

Both flashes sync up just fine, and the transmitter sets the power level correctly after you press the test button, but the YN600EX-RT just never fires when I release the shutter on the camera.

The YN-E3-RT has firmware 1.18. I know the Canon transmitters don't work on non-Canon cameras, but from what I've read this Yongnuo transmitter is supposed to work.

Any ideas please?

Leica SL (Typ 601) Sony a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
andrewD2 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,156
Re: Can'f fire YN600EX-RT with YN-E3-RT on A7Rii

Hope you get your answer. Could you please tell me how well the yn trigger works with the Canon 600s? HSS works? Power control works? Groups work?

thanks,
Andrew

OP MaxN Regular Member • Posts: 101

I have now updated the trigger to the latest firmware (1.18) and the flash (1.8.4) but it still doesn't work.

I would like to know if others have had the same problem using the YN-E3-RT on a Sony camera (or probably any non-Canon camera with a generic hotshoe) with the YN600EX-RT?

I have had no problems with the YN-E3-RT on a canon camera.

aknyc Regular Member • Posts: 359

MaxN wrote:

On an A7Rii my Yongnuo YN-E3-RT speedlite transmitter will fire my Canon 600EX-RT, but it won't fire my YN600EX-RT. I can't figure out why. I hope someone can help.

I am using manual mode, and the test button on the transmitter will fire both the Canon and Yongnuo slave flashes in wireless mode (either both together as group A/B, or just using one at a time), and the transmitter also works fine on a Canon camera, but I slip the transmitter onto the Sony camera and it only fires the Canon flash.

Both flashes sync up just fine, and the transmitter sets the power level correctly after you press the test button, but the YN600EX-RT just never fires when I release the shutter on the camera.

The YN-E3-RT has firmware 1.18. I know the Canon transmitters don't work on non-Canon cameras, but from what I've read this Yongnuo transmitter is supposed to work.

Any ideas please?

Yes very confusing, it works fine with the Canon 600EX flash, but not with YN600EX on sony camera.

it works fine with Canon Camera .

-- hide signature --

Alex K, New York
http://www.alexk.com/

aknyc's gear list:aknyc's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a7 II Sony a7R II Sony a7R III Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +16 more
iL337P337 Junior Member • Posts: 35

Same here, I have the YN-E3-RT with ver. 1.18 and two YN600EX-RTs with ver. 1.8.4; they fire perfectly with the 5D3 but on the a6000 the YN-E3-RT won't trigger the flashes. The YN-E3-RT can activate the flashes modelling light or test lamp but not triggering with the a6000's shutter button.  Each flash directly on the A6000's hot-shoe however will fire reliably.

I've read about the Yn-E3-RT only working on non-Canon Camera bodies in manual mode but that doesn't seem to be the problem here as everything is set to manual.  I've also read that the black a6000 (which I am using) has issues with the hot-shoe making a good ground connection with third party flash accessories due too the black paint used on the hot-shoe, I've scrapped off the paint under the rails but that also doesn't seem to be the issue as the transmitter still won't trigger the flashes but also the flashes directed mounted on the shoe are firing reliably so I know there is a good contact.

Lastly I've read that Yonguo may have changed hardware at ver. 1.18.  I thought maybe they messed something up during the new hardware shift that hurts its "non-canon body" trigger feature or maybe the A6000 wasn't detecting a device in the hot-shoe so wasn't sending the trigger signal when the shutter pressed but hearing that the YN-E3-RT is triggering the original Canon 600EX-RTs on an A7 makes me think it's a setting on firmware issue in the Yongnuo YN600EX-RT flashes.  I don't know how this is an issue for the YN600EX-RTs and not the Canon 600EX-RTs on Yonguo's own RT system but Yongnuo needs to look into this fast.

until we get a fix I'd try scrapping off more paint and inspecting the YN-E3-RTs shoe mount with the others that work in the sony hot-shoe as well as turning off all unnecessarily setting on the YN600EX-RTs.  One last thing, I've noticed that the YN600EX-RTs are stuck in ETTL mode, my YN-E3-RT has them set to Manual mode but that setting doesn't seem to be carrying over when I hit "test lamp" like it should, it only carries over with the 5D3 when I press the shutter and take the first shot.  maybe that's the issue right there.  Are the Canon 600EX-RT flashes going into manual mode without having to take a picture first?

iL337P337's gear list:iL337P337's gear list
Sony a7R II Panasonic GH5 Fujifilm X-T3 Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Tokina 14-20mm F2 Pro +8 more
fotowbert
fotowbert Veteran Member • Posts: 3,035
Short the center pin test

You should try shorting the center pin on the YN-E3-RT foot to the metal foot (ground) plate to confirm the trigger will accept a fire flash signal from your Sony MIS hot-shoe.  This is essentially what the camera's sync circuit does to fire a flash or trigger.

Take a metal object like a straightened paper clip or whatever and touch both the center pin and the metal plate with it.  If the remotes don't fire when you do this there is no way the YN-E3-RT will work on your Sony.

If the remotes do fire with this this test then a poor electrical contact at the hot-shoe trigger interface could be the cause of your problem.  In this case I suggest cleaning all the contact surfaces with a soft white pencil eraser and checking for proper alignment.

• John

iL337P337 wrote:

Same here, I have the YN-E3-RT with ver. 1.18 and two YN600EX-RTs with ver. 1.8.4; they fire perfectly with the 5D3 but on the a6000 the YN-E3-RT won't trigger the flashes. The YN-E3-RT can activate the flashes modelling light or test lamp but not triggering with the a6000's shutter button. Each flash directly on the A6000's hot-shoe however will fire reliably.

I've read about the Yn-E3-RT only working on non-Canon Camera bodies in manual mode but that doesn't seem to be the problem here as everything is set to manual. I've also read that the black a6000 (which I am using) has issues with the hot-shoe making a good ground connection with third party flash accessories due too the black paint used on the hot-shoe, I've scrapped off the paint under the rails but that also doesn't seem to be the issue as the transmitter still won't trigger the flashes but also the flashes directed mounted on the shoe are firing reliably so I know there is a good contact.

Lastly I've read that Yonguo may have changed hardware at ver. 1.18. I thought maybe they messed something up during the new hardware shift that hurts its "non-canon body" trigger feature or maybe the A6000 wasn't detecting a device in the hot-shoe so wasn't sending the trigger signal when the shutter pressed but hearing that the YN-E3-RT is triggering the original Canon 600EX-RTs on an A7 makes me think it's a setting on firmware issue in the Yongnuo YN600EX-RT flashes. I don't know how this is an issue for the YN600EX-RTs and not the Canon 600EX-RTs on Yonguo's own RT system but Yongnuo needs to look into this fast.

until we get a fix I'd try scrapping off more paint and inspecting the YN-E3-RTs shoe mount with the others that work in the sony hot-shoe as well as turning off all unnecessarily setting on the YN600EX-RTs. One last thing, I've noticed that the YN600EX-RTs are stuck in ETTL mode, my YN-E3-RT has them set to Manual mode but that setting doesn't seem to be carrying over when I hit "test lamp" like it should, it only carries over with the 5D3 when I press the shutter and take the first shot. maybe that's the issue right there. Are the Canon 600EX-RT flashes going into manual mode without having to take a picture first?

-- hide signature --

"[If you don't sweat the details] the magic doesn't work." Brooks, F. P., The Mythical Man-Month, Addison-Wesley, 1975, page 8.

fotowbert's gear list:fotowbert's gear list
Canon PowerShot A20 Canon PowerShot SD870 IS Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ8 Canon PowerShot S95 +15 more

Heard back from Yongnuo:

"Dear User,

Thanks for your email!
The "Legacy mode" of YN-E3-RT supports triggering Canon 600EX-RT in M mode when you use a non-Canon camera, however, it doesn't support triggering YN600EX-RT.Thank you very much for your great support for YONGNUO products! If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us again.
Best regards,
YONGNUO"

Wow, Yongnuo... what a failed attempt at a good idea.

Sony a7R II Panasonic GH5 Fujifilm X-T3 Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Tokina 14-20mm F2 Pro +8 more
Si019 Forum Member • Posts: 64

What was the reason for using this setup on an e-mount system? If it's anything other than I already have this setup then try the the yn560 setup, I have used this on both a6000 and now a7rii with no issues.

Si019's gear list:Si019's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Sony 28mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 +3 more

Si019 wrote:

What was the reason for using this setup on an e-mount system? If it's anything other than I already have this setup then try the the yn560 setup, I have used this on both a6000 and now a7rii with no issues.

Cause we already have this setup, what was the reason for asking a question you already have the answer to? lol. And we expect this feature to work within Yongnuo's own product line. If I wanted to spend another $400 per flash to get this to work I'd rather buy Sony ones.

Which 560's are you using and are you using the yn560 transceiver unit on the a6000? How are the remote power setting working?

Hopefully Yongnuo can update the YN600EX-RTs firmware to just accept a basic Radio Trigger signal, you know like the Canon 600EXs do or like you're already doing when you press the test fire button in manual mode, why the Yongnuo's won't fire in manual mode unless they detect a Canon body is ridiculous; apparently even their cheapo 560s can do that!

Also it seems the "Legacy Trigger" just deactivates compatibility with Yongnuo's own products since the Canon 600EX flashes supposed still fire on non-canon bodies when "Legacy Tigger" is either enabled or disabled but when enabled even on a canon body the Yongnuo flashes stop firing ...who designed this feature and why???

http://photo.net/filters-bags-tripods-accessories-forum/00d9CI

Si019 Forum Member • Posts: 64

iL337P337 wrote:

Si019 wrote:

Cause we already have this setup, what was the reason for asking a question you already have the answer to? lol. And we expect this feature to work within Yongnuo's own product line. If I wanted to spend another $400 per flash to get this to work I'd rather buy Sony ones.

Which 560's are you using and are you using the yn560 transceiver unit on the a6000? How are the remote power setting working?

Hopefully Yongnuo can update the YN600EX-RTs firmware to just accept a basic Radio Trigger signal, you know like the Canon 600EXs do or like you're already doing when you press the test fire button in manual mode, why the Yongnuo's won't fire in manual mode unless they detect a Canon body is ridiculous; apparently even their cheapo 560s can do that!

Also it seems the "Legacy Trigger" just deactivates compatibility with Yongnuo's own products since the Canon 600EX flashes supposed still fire on non-canon bodies when "Legacy Tigger" is either enabled or disabled but when enabled even on a canon body the Yongnuo flashes stop firing ...who designed this feature and why???

http://photo.net/filters-bags-tripods-accessories-forum/00d9CI

As per my post I assumed it was because you already had the gear. I have used the yn560 setup and both a6000 and a7rii was no issues and full functionality.

Third party flash support seems very pore for Sony, hopefully this will change during 2016.

Si019's gear list:Si019's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Sony 28mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads