Panasonic FZ70 Is a Excellent Camera

Started Nov 25, 2015 | User reviews
Kimballcorson New Member • Posts: 21
Panasonic FZ70 Is a Excellent Camera
4

This camera has been neglected and gotten a bad rap. It is an excellent camera overall which, as Panasonic concedes, has better image quality and stabilization than the FZ200, including 15% less noise. The FZ200 costs more and has gotten all the press. Especially for the money, this camera is a steal. After getting it, following careful study, I unhesitatingly sold my FZ200 because I could see the IQ differences immediately. Much hoopla is generated over the fact the FZ200 has a constant f/2.8 aperture, but what few realize is that the FZ70 covers that same zoom range at from f/2.8 to f/4 and on top of that has much more zoom range to boot. Also, the Amazon reviews, on average, are better for the FZ70 than for the FZ200 or the much touted, but bulkier FZ1000. Don't get snowed like many reviewers by the marketing hype. This is a very good camera.

other equipment: Nikon D7100 w/Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 FLD zoom, Nikon 35mm f/1.8 prime and other lenses; Panasonic RX-100; Panasonic HX-90v; and Nikon D40.

 Kimballcorson's gear list:Kimballcorson's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Sony RX10 III Nikon D200 +9 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ60 (Lumix DMC-FZ62)
16 megapixels • 3 screen • 25 – 600 mm (24×)
Announced: Jul 18, 2012
Kimballcorson's score
4.5
Average community score
3.5
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ60 (Lumix DMC-FZ62)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
nicodimus22
nicodimus22 Senior Member • Posts: 2,754
Re: Panasonic FZ70 Is a Excellent Camera
1

Kimballcorson wrote:

This camera has been neglected and gotten a bad rap. It is an excellent camera overall which, as Panasonic concedes, has better image quality and stabilization than the FZ200, including 15% less noise.

That's only in theory. During real-world use, the lens closes down to f5.9 at max zoom, while the FZ200 stays at f2.8. That's a difference of 2 and 1/3 stops. That means that the FZ70 has to crank up the sensitivity to ~ISO533 to get the same shutter speed that the FZ200 gets at ISO100, because the lens gathers so much less light. Or, if you left both cameras at the same ISO, the FZ70 would need to drop to ~1/17 to capture the same image that the FZ200 does at 1/80. The 15% sensor advantage that you mentioned barely puts a dent in this...it's still over 2 stops of difference. This is not my opinion, it's math.

Your argument that it covers the same zoom range as the FZ200 at f2.8-f4 is absurd. You don't buy an ultrazoom like the FZ70 to use it at the short end. You buy it because you want something with long reach. If you need a camera with this much zoom, you will almost always be using it at the long end.

The inferior light gathering capabilities of the FZ70's lens means either noisier pictures, or slower shutter speeds that make camera shake and/or motion blur more likely. This is why measuring sites like dxomark are useful in some ways, but you can't rely on their sensor measurements alone to tell you what the camera produces in the real world.

-- hide signature --
 nicodimus22's gear list:nicodimus22's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +17 more
OP Kimballcorson New Member • Posts: 21
Re: Panasonic FZ70 Is a Excellent Camera
1

You misunderstand or ignore my argument. The FZ70 can do all the zoom range the FZ200 can at f/2.8 to f/4 and with less noise and better IQ. You condemn it for being able to additionally do more zoom range, too!

 Kimballcorson's gear list:Kimballcorson's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Sony RX10 III Nikon D200 +9 more
nicodimus22
nicodimus22 Senior Member • Posts: 2,754
Re: Panasonic FZ70 Is a Excellent Camera
1

Kimballcorson wrote:

You misunderstand or ignore my argument. The FZ70 can do all the zoom range the FZ200 can at f/2.8 to f/4 and with less noise and better IQ. You condemn it for being able to additionally do more zoom range, too!

I did not misunderstand your argument. You're saying that the FZ70 can do at f2.8 to f4 in the range that the FZ200 can do at f2.8 to f2.8. That is an argument against the FZ70. Even with 15% better sensor performance, it's already lost over a stop of light to the FZ200 by the time it gets to 600mm. A stop is a DOUBLING of light. It's a difference of 100%. Makes the modest 15% sensor improvement seem like small potatoes. And it gets much worse in the range that people would actually use an ultrazoom in the majority of the time (at the long end.)

 nicodimus22's gear list:nicodimus22's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +17 more
Ronomy
Ronomy Veteran Member • Posts: 4,034
Re: Panasonic FZ70 Is a Excellent Camera

Kimballcorson wrote:

You misunderstand or ignore my argument. The FZ70 can do all the zoom range the FZ200 can at f/2.8 to f/4 and with less noise and better IQ. You condemn it for being able to additionally do more zoom range, too!

I did not misunderstand your argument. You're saying that the FZ70 can do at f2.8 to f4 in the range that the FZ200 can do at f2.8 to f2.8. That is an argument against the FZ70. Even with 15% better sensor performance, it's already lost over a stop of light to the FZ200 by the time it gets to 600mm. A stop is a DOUBLING of light. It's a difference of 100%. Makes the modest 15% sensor improvement seem like small potatoes. And it gets much worse in the range that people would actually use an ultrazoom in the majority of the time (at the long end.)

I also suspect that sensor samples vary at least 15% and probably based on results I have seen between my newer and older FZ200.

Most of the FZ70 images I have seen at least using default settings for jpgs yeilded excessively smudged image detail.

 Ronomy's gear list:Ronomy's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +6 more
myssvictoria Veteran Member • Posts: 5,891
Re: Panasonic FZ70 Is a Excellent Camera
1

I became very fond of my FZ70, purchased on a whim during holiday sales 2 years ago for $220. It does its job well without complaint, trouble, fanfare, without the bells and whistles of it's higher priced and fancier featured stablemates. I noticed that the sensor was better than the FZ200. Underexposed JPEGs could be saved in pp with less consequence.

Combined with a 1.7 TC, it was the only way to achieve 2000mm prior to the arrival of Nikon's P900. The Nikon's lens, I think is better, more detail, etc. The overall image of the FZ70 is smoother. Edges look better. On a bird, for example, the bill and eyes are nice and smooth opposed to the Nikon's ragged appearance. Details are more apparent on the Nikon, but again, sometimes appear ragged.

My biggest complaint about the FZ70 is it's focusing. I often have to focus on something with more contrast near a bird before I could get focus on the bird.

We all have our experiences, impressions, and opinions. For such a humble low cost superzoom, it served me very well.

-- hide signature --

Vickie
Please Mr. Ichiro Kitao, give me a Wildlife Zoom camera (WZ) with a 200 - 2000mm reach and able to take a TC, and with a fast lens and all the goodies to make it fast operationally. And with a big, beautiful EVF. Come on, let's exploit the strengths of a small sensor.
myFlickr
myP900pics
myFZ200pics
myFZ70pics

 myssvictoria's gear list:myssvictoria's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +12 more
hjens
hjens Regular Member • Posts: 141
Re: Panasonic FZ70 Is a Excellent Camera
2

Ditto to those who think the FZ70 has been getting a bad rap. I do a lot of wildlife photography and the FZ70 has served me fantastically well. Admittedly one has to use a tripod or a dead rest in low light conditions but a superzoom with that reach -- and at that low price --- can't be beat. The higher-priced FZ200, 300 and 1000 just cannot compete for what I want to do with a camera and -- maybe I'm being overoptimistic -- I'm waiting for Panasonic to come up with a successor that improves the sensor, zoom and focus without breaking the bank.

jhoto
jhoto Regular Member • Posts: 117
Re: Panasonic FZ70 Is a Excellent Camera
1

$179 at Best Buy.👍

 jhoto's gear list:jhoto's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Apple iPhone 6 +2 more
John Beavin
John Beavin Senior Member • Posts: 2,940
Re: Panasonic FZ70 Is a Excellent Camera

I put a bid in for one at an auction and lost out, I sure would not be put off by all the technical jargon that some folk are so fond of quoting, every camera has its good and bad points, the trick is to tweak the options to get the best out of them.

 John Beavin's gear list:John Beavin's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47 Nikon Coolpix P520 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 +1 more
OP Kimballcorson New Member • Posts: 21
Re: Panasonic FZ70 Is a Excellent Camera

Again, you duck my argument. So let me be blunt about it. The FZ70 can do everything the FZ200 can but do it better and for less money. Further, it can do more than the FZ200 can.

 Kimballcorson's gear list:Kimballcorson's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Sony RX10 III Nikon D200 +9 more
OP Kimballcorson New Member • Posts: 21
Re: Panasonic FZ70 Is a Excellent Camera
1

Moreover the single f/ stop you make so much of is more than covered by the improved stabilization circuitry of the FZ70 which is conspicuously better than on the FZ200. I used both for a some time together before deciding to sell the FZ200, mostly because of the inferior noise and IQ of the DZ200 (which Panasonic quietly and slyly concedes). Finally, for the longer range shots, a tripod helps, erasing any f/ stop differential advantage, assuming other things were equal which they are  not.

 Kimballcorson's gear list:Kimballcorson's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Sony RX10 III Nikon D200 +9 more
OP Kimballcorson New Member • Posts: 21
Re: Panasonic FZ70 Is a Excellent Camera

Panasonic's own  Black Friday Blow Out Sale on its website is selling the FZ200 for $249.99 and the FZ70 for $299.99.   Shows you what they think.

 Kimballcorson's gear list:Kimballcorson's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Sony RX10 III Nikon D200 +9 more
kkardster
kkardster Veteran Member • Posts: 8,307
Re: Panasonic FZ70 Is a Excellent Camera
3

Kimballcorson wrote:

Again, you duck my argument. So let me be blunt about it. The FZ70 can do everything the FZ200 can but do it better and for less money. Further, it can do more than the FZ200 can.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for this unfairly maligned model - and like I said before, many FZ200 owners would love to have the FZ70 lens on the FZ200 body. But you are delusional if you think the the FZ70 can do everything the FZ200 can but do it better and for less money. You've stooped to the level of those you originally complained about yourself.

Maybe the blunt is to blame, but you have obviously not used both cameras in the field or you'd be aware there are things the FZ200 actually can do better than the FZ70:

  • The 3-shot burst mode of the FZ70 is crippling compared to the FZ200 burst modes. You may not stack images or need to capture transient events, but not needing a feature only makes it "better" for you.
  • The fully-articulating LCD of the FZ200 is much more functional - especially for macro shooting or when fixing focus for a tripod shot.
  • Your claims that the FZ70 OIS magically makes up over 2 stops is a bit far-fetched.
  • The FZ200 EVF is vastly superior to the FZ70's viewfinder.
  • And when did lesser specs - like more limited shutter speed range, shorter battery life, 1/6 resolution EVF, etc. - become "better"? The FZ70 my be adequate, but shooting with the FZ200 is much more enjoyable.

So, please stop the grandstanding; both are capable cameras but - like most cameras - no one camera can truly do everything better than another. Your overzealous defense of the FZ70 comes off as bitter and makes it hard to truly take you seriously.

I'm glad you're loving your FZ70 and wish Panasonic would stick its lens on the FZ300 body now

-- hide signature --

Bruce
You learn something new every time you press the shutter

 kkardster's gear list:kkardster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic ZS100 +5 more
ANAYV Forum Pro • Posts: 14,140
Re: Panasonic FZ70 Is a Excellent Camera
1

Again, you duck my argument. So let me be blunt about it. The FZ70 can do everything the FZ200 can but do it better and for less money. Further, it can do more than the FZ200 can.

No it cant. I owned both.
No mention about inferior burst mode, low resolution EVF, non tilt/ swivel LCD.

Try taking a 5fps burst for more then a few seconds, and tell me if the FZ70 makes you wait, cause mine and others here, did.....FZ200 did not , as more internal RAM allowed us to keep on shooting.

I did like some things about the FZ70, and have posted some nice shots from it, but it's not competing against the FZ200, but with other cameras like the SX50, P610,S1.

ANAYV

Oswald61 Contributing Member • Posts: 549
Re: Panasonic FZ70 Is a Excellent Camera

kkardster wrote:

Kimballcorson wrote:

Again, you duck my argument. So let me be blunt about it. The FZ70 can do everything the FZ200 can but do it better and for less money. Further, it can do more than the FZ200 can.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for this unfairly maligned model - and like I said before, many FZ200 owners would love to have the FZ70 lens on the FZ200 body. But you are delusional if you think the the FZ70 can do everything the FZ200 can but do it better and for less money. You've stooped to the level of those you originally complained about yourself.

Maybe the blunt is to blame, but you have obviously not used both cameras in the field or you'd be aware there are things the FZ200 actually can do better than the FZ70:

  • The 3-shot burst mode of the FZ70 is crippling compared to the FZ200 burst modes. You may not stack images or need to capture transient events, but not needing a feature only makes it "better" for you.
  • The fully-articulating LCD of the FZ200 is much more functional - especially for macro shooting or when fixing focus for a tripod shot.
  • Your claims that the FZ70 OIS magically makes up over 2 stops is a bit far-fetched.
  • The FZ200 EVF is vastly superior to the FZ70's viewfinder.
  • And when did lesser specs - like more limited shutter speed range, shorter battery life, 1/6 resolution EVF, etc. - become "better"? The FZ70 my be adequate, but shooting with the FZ200 is much more enjoyable.

So, please stop the grandstanding; both are capable cameras but - like most cameras - no one camera can truly do everything better than another. Your overzealous defense of the FZ70 comes off as bitter and makes it hard to truly take you seriously.

I'm glad you're loving your FZ70 and wish Panasonic would stick its lens on the FZ300 body now

-- hide signature --

Bruce
You learn something new every time you press the shutter

Well said.

Timj351
Timj351 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,132
Re: Panasonic FZ70 Is a Excellent Camera

kkardster wrote:

Kimballcorson wrote:

Again, you duck my argument. So let me be blunt about it. The FZ70 can do everything the FZ200 can but do it better and for less money. Further, it can do more than the FZ200 can.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for this unfairly maligned model - and like I said before, many FZ200 owners would love to have the FZ70 lens on the FZ200 body. But you are delusional if you think the the FZ70 can do everything the FZ200 can but do it better and for less money. You've stooped to the level of those you originally complained about yourself.

Maybe the blunt is to blame, but you have obviously not used both cameras in the field or you'd be aware there are things the FZ200 actually can do better than the FZ70:

  • The 3-shot burst mode of the FZ70 is crippling compared to the FZ200 burst modes. You may not stack images or need to capture transient events, but not needing a feature only makes it "better" for you.
  • The fully-articulating LCD of the FZ200 is much more functional - especially for macro shooting or when fixing focus for a tripod shot.
  • Your claims that the FZ70 OIS magically makes up over 2 stops is a bit far-fetched.
  • The FZ200 EVF is vastly superior to the FZ70's viewfinder.
  • And when did lesser specs - like more limited shutter speed range, shorter battery life, 1/6 resolution EVF, etc. - become "better"? The FZ70 my be adequate, but shooting with the FZ200 is much more enjoyable.

So, please stop the grandstanding; both are capable cameras but - like most cameras - no one camera can truly do everything better than another. Your overzealous defense of the FZ70 comes off as bitter and makes it hard to truly take you seriously.

I'm glad you're loving your FZ70 and wish Panasonic would stick its lens on the FZ300 body now

-- hide signature --

Bruce
You learn something new every time you press the shutter

Well said Bruce. The FZ70 is certainly a fine camera at a great price for what it is. But the camera had to be compromised in several ways to reach that price point compared to the FZ200 when they were both new. If a person didn't have a strong need for that long zoom range of the FZ70 than it would be more sensible to get the FZ200, especially now that both cameras are more closely priced to each other.

I can understand what Panny was trying to achieve with the FZ70 considering the price point they were targeting but they also missed a big opportunity to truly create an optimal birder style camera by merging the best features of the FZ200 with the reach of the FZ70 and a Leica branded lens. Maybe they were testing the waters a bit and didn't want to commit too much money into the development of such a camera and maybe we will still see a class leading mega zoom camera in the future. This depends on whether they think enough people are willing to pay the higher price for such a camera. Many people, including me, have paid the higher price for the FZ1000 so just maybe there's a big enough market for such a mega zoom camera as well.

I've always congratulated Panny for choosing to make fast operating high quality cameras over the chase for the longest zoom ranges. So it was a bit of a surprise to me when the FZ70 was released with a compromised feature set but it made more sense when I saw the attractive price.

Whatever Panny produce in the future I'm still confident the cameras will continue to be great bang for the buck.

-Tim

 Timj351's gear list:Timj351's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F707 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FP8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
kkardster
kkardster Veteran Member • Posts: 8,307
Re: Panasonic FZ70 Is a Excellent Camera

I'd love to see an over-sized 1" sensor dropped into the FZ300 body with an FZ70 lens. They could treat the sensor as multi aspect ratio like they do with the LX series.

-- hide signature --

Bruce
You learn something new every time you press the shutter

 kkardster's gear list:kkardster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic ZS100 +5 more
Dan W Veteran Member • Posts: 3,226
Re: Panasonic FZ70 Is a Excellent Camera

I have both cameras and I think that the FZ200 is a better camera than the FZ70, much as I want to like my FZ70.

Another feature that the FZ200 has that is lacking on the FZ70 is slow motion video, which I like to use occasionally.

DW

 Dan W's gear list:Dan W's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Nikon D7000 +2 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 6,192
Re: Panasonic FZ70 Is a Excellent Camera

So saying he thinks his FZ72 is better for his purposes than the FZ200 is grandstanding. I do detect a lot of anger from the FZ200 community that someone has the temerity to say he prefers the FZ72. There is a lot of number/spec crunching going on and a stop doubles the amount of light - wow.

What an angry and competitive sport photography comparative gear chasing can become.

Oswald61 wrote:

kkardster wrote:

Kimballcorson wrote:

Again, you duck my argument. So let me be blunt about it. The FZ70 can do everything the FZ200 can but do it better and for less money. Further, it can do more than the FZ200 can.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for this unfairly maligned model - and like I said before, many FZ200 owners would love to have the FZ70 lens on the FZ200 body. But you are delusional if you think the the FZ70 can do everything the FZ200 can but do it better and for less money. You've stooped to the level of those you originally complained about yourself.

Maybe the blunt is to blame, but you have obviously not used both cameras in the field or you'd be aware there are things the FZ200 actually can do better than the FZ70:

  • The 3-shot burst mode of the FZ70 is crippling compared to the FZ200 burst modes. You may not stack images or need to capture transient events, but not needing a feature only makes it "better" for you.
  • The fully-articulating LCD of the FZ200 is much more functional - especially for macro shooting or when fixing focus for a tripod shot.
  • Your claims that the FZ70 OIS magically makes up over 2 stops is a bit far-fetched.
  • The FZ200 EVF is vastly superior to the FZ70's viewfinder.
  • And when did lesser specs - like more limited shutter speed range, shorter battery life, 1/6 resolution EVF, etc. - become "better"? The FZ70 my be adequate, but shooting with the FZ200 is much more enjoyable.

So, please stop the grandstanding; both are capable cameras but - like most cameras - no one camera can truly do everything better than another. Your overzealous defense of the FZ70 comes off as bitter and makes it hard to truly take you seriously.

I'm glad you're loving your FZ70 and wish Panasonic would stick its lens on the FZ300 body now

-- hide signature --

Bruce
You learn something new every time you press the shutter

Well said.

kkardster
kkardster Veteran Member • Posts: 8,307
Re: Panasonic FZ70 Is a Excellent Camera
2

Greynerd wrote:

So saying he thinks his FZ72 is better for his purposes than the FZ200 is grandstanding. I do detect a lot of anger from the FZ200 community that someone has the temerity to say he prefers the FZ72. There is a lot of number/spec crunching going on and a stop doubles the amount of light - wow.

What an angry and competitive sport photography comparative gear chasing can become.

There was never any mention by the OP that this had anything to do with his purposes - I added that myself to give him the benefit of the doubt in my reply to the following:

Kimballcorson wrote:

Again, you duck my argument. So let me be blunt about it. The FZ70 can do everything the FZ200 can but do it better and for less money. Further, it can do more than the FZ200 can.

I merely countered that those statements were not true as written. I did not say the FZ70 is crap. I do believe that f/2.8 is 2+ stops (4X+ times more light) than f/5.9 - correct me if I'm wrong and enlighten me as to how the FZ70 is better in that regards [or for its other lesser specs] that make it "do everything better".

I owned the FZ150 before the FZ200 and admit that the FZ150 did better at times. And I'm sure that the FZ70 can do better at times. I also said I'm glad Kimballcorson likes his FZ70. But if it was really that good, how come this is the only thread I can recall making such claims?

-- hide signature --

Bruce
You learn something new every time you press the shutter

 kkardster's gear list:kkardster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic ZS100 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads