Lumix GX8 and SDXC UHS-II cards

Started Nov 21, 2015 | Discussions
Macintosh Sauce
Macintosh Sauce Contributing Member • Posts: 706
Lumix GX8 and SDXC UHS-II cards

I have confirmed with my new Lumix GX8 that the SDXC UHS-II cards do indeed work. Formatted them on my Mac, then inserted in the camera and formatted them for the GX8.

I have two Lexar Professional 128 GB ones (x1000 speed) from the Samsung NX1 I sold this week, and I was able to record RAW + JPG at the same time. I took it out of the GX8 and put it in my MacBook Pro, and I was able to copy the photos over to my Desktop.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Advent1sam
Advent1sam Veteran Member • Posts: 9,089
Re: Lumix GX8 and SDXC UHS-II cards

Macintosh Sauce wrote:

I have confirmed with my new Lumix GX8 that the SDXC UHS-II cards do indeed work. Formatted them on my Mac, then inserted in the camera and formatted them for the GX8.

I have two Lexar Professional 128 GB ones (x1000 speed) from the Samsung NX1 I sold this week, and I was able to record RAW + JPG at the same time. I took it out of the GX8 and put it in my MacBook Pro, and I was able to copy the photos over to my Desktop.

Who said it didn't' work? in the bottom right corner you can see the raw buffer depth, what does it show? on mine I get 30, after a burst, it stops and you wait 20 secs to get 30 deep again.

Macintosh Sauce
OP Macintosh Sauce Contributing Member • Posts: 706

There have been several postings lately asking if the SDXC UHS-II cards work in the GX8. I will check the information you asked when I take some photos.

MtnBikerCalif Regular Member • Posts: 224

Macintosh Sauce wrote:

But the GX8 is using it as a UHS-I per other posting and Panasonic.

Why would you format them on your Mac instead of in camera? I doubt it makes much difference these days, but just to play it safe.

From what I can tell from reading posts, the UHS-II might download faster with the correct reader. But only the SD card slot for iMac Pro list support for UHS-II. The Retina iMac only says "SDXC card slot."

Awaiting delivery of GX8 so have been researching cards. I used to worry more about future proofing but these developments are slowing down, and I hope to have the camera for a couple of years and who know if I'll need UHS-II or III or a microSD or what.

MtnBikerCalif's gear list:MtnBikerCalif's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads