50-140 tripod foot (also infrared question, too)

Started Nov 16, 2015 | Questions
The Saturnyne Junior Member • Posts: 47
50-140 tripod foot (also infrared question, too)

Was thinking of shooting a panoramic with this lovely lens (when the weather becomes nicer...) So I was just wondering if anyone knows the no parallax point before I start working it out myself? Or if the tripod foot sits the lens dead centre of the no-parallax point? That would be useful and very foresighted of Fujifilm if so.

Thanks in advance for any info.

And has anyone shot infrared with this? If so, can you share the results, please? again, thanks in advance for any information you can share.

The Saturnyne's gear list:The Saturnyne's gear list
Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
slimandy Forum Pro • Posts: 17,161
Re: 50-140 tripod foot (also infrared question, too)

I very much doubt it as it looks like it would be well behind the nodal point, but with modern software I also doubt it would be an issue for many people. I saw some lovely panoramas made as part of a demonstration of the technique and how Photoshop works and the images used were taken hand-held. (the demo was by professional photographer Gavin Hoey. There is a video on his web site if you care)

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1
AlbertTheLazy
AlbertTheLazy Veteran Member • Posts: 8,350

slimandy wrote:

I very much doubt it as it looks like it would be well behind the nodal point, but with modern software I also doubt it would be an issue for many people....

I agree. The only time I'd worry about accurate positioning of the nodal point would be for panoramas with fairly close foreground detail, when parallax effects could be significant. I freely admit to doing all my panos hand held unless I'm using a very long lens.

If it's any help I generally use Microsoft ICE rather than depending on the in-camera panorama facility.

-- hide signature --

Albert
(The one in France)
Every photograph is an abstraction from reality.

AlbertTheLazy's gear list:AlbertTheLazy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T3 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +6 more
Vic Chapman Forum Pro • Posts: 10,694

AlbertInFrance wrote:

slimandy wrote:

I very much doubt it as it looks like it would be well behind the nodal point, but with modern software I also doubt it would be an issue for many people....

I agree. The only time I'd worry about accurate positioning of the nodal point would be for panoramas with fairly close foreground detail, when parallax effects could be significant. I freely admit to doing all my panos hand held unless I'm using a very long lens.

If it's any help I generally use Microsoft ICE rather than depending on the in-camera panorama facility.

+ 1 on the Microsoft ICE free software for jpgs.

-- hide signature --

The sky is full of holes that let the rain get in, the holes are very small - that's why the rain is thin.
Spike Milligan

Vic Chapman's gear list:Vic Chapman's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +11 more
OP The Saturnyne Junior Member • Posts: 47

That's interesting. And, yes I see your point. Thanks for the helpful reply. I'll look into that fellow's site this evening.

Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R
OP The Saturnyne Junior Member • Posts: 47

I never use the in-camera pano. First time I tried it, I got banding... probably due to my not setting the camera right. I was disappointed that it was only a jpeg, and not very large, too. My aim is to make large wall mounts for my home and for friends who like them. Thus far I've used CSC, but other brands have also received praise by friends of mine... I think one was Autopano. I'd forgotten about the one you mention. Thanks!

Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads