Panny 100-400mm news - From the horses mouth

Started Nov 13, 2015 | Discussions
Nuts About Photography Regular Member • Posts: 271
Panny 100-400mm news - From the horses mouth

I was at a trade show yesterday and met with the national reps for Panasonic.

They confirmed the 100-400 would be shipping to the reps in December so they can show them to dealers, etc. Then the actual product would ship for retail sales in January.

Cost would be in the $2K area, Canadian, so maybe near $1500US$.

So, time to put this on your list for Santa!

Nuts About Photography's gear list:Nuts About Photography's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Olympus C-2020 Zoom Sony RX100 IV Nikon D100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +13 more
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Bialykot Junior Member • Posts: 27
Re: Panny 100-400mm news - From the horses mouth

Nuts About Photography wrote:

The Santa in my part of the world (Scotland) is a bit stingy.  No way I'll get that!  

SHood Veteran Member • Posts: 5,076

They confirmed the 100-400 would be shipping to the reps in December so they can show them to dealers, etc. Then the actual product would ship for retail sales in January.

I think we spoke to the same Panasonic rep at FusionPro Expo (Vistek).  I received the same information on Wednesday.

-- hide signature --
 SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro
Advent1sam
Advent1sam Veteran Member • Posts: 5,380

SHood wrote:

I think we spoke to the same Panasonic rep at FusionPro Expo (Vistek). I received the same information on Wednesday.

If its around £1-1.25k GBP could be realistic option for sure.

Advent1sam's gear list:Advent1sam's gear list
Fujifilm X-T100
OP Nuts About Photography Regular Member • Posts: 271

SHood wrote:

I think we spoke to the same Panasonic rep at FusionPro Expo (Vistek). I received the same information on Wednesday.

I would guess that.

Nuts About Photography's gear list:Nuts About Photography's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Olympus C-2020 Zoom Sony RX100 IV Nikon D100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +13 more
Michael M Fliegel
Michael M Fliegel Veteran Member • Posts: 3,679

Way too expensive compared to the 70-300 and 100-300.

Michael M Fliegel's gear list:Michael M Fliegel's gear list
Olympus E-520 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +13 more
Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 14,125

If true their product development cycle is a whole lot faster than Oly's.

Bring it on.

Rick

-- hide signature --

Equivalence and diffraction-free since 2009.
You can be too; ask about our 12-step program.

Harold66
Harold66 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,290

I wonder who in these forums and out there really need such a lens . Hard to imagine that this could be useful for more than a very few photographers ( professional birders I guess )

in the meanwhile there is still no affordable , reasonably light 300mm equivalent , arguably the single most significant gap in the m4/3 lens line up among commonly used focal lengths

Harold

-- hide signature --

thedemandingtraveler.org
www.haroldglit.com
www.modelmayhem.com/haroldglit

Harold66's gear list:Harold66's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GR II +22 more
Jorginho Forum Pro • Posts: 14,266
You can't compare them.

Michael M Fliegel wrote:

Just apples and oranges. Apart from that: 100-400 is completely unknown IQ wise. If it is very good, than woith weathersealing. fast focussing etc. it is simply worth 1500-2000 euro or more (depending on its excellence).

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +8 more
Narcosynthesis Senior Member • Posts: 1,832

Michael M Fliegel wrote:

To be honest, I would expect/hope it would be - the 75-300 and 100-300mm are great lenses, but distinctly mid range in quality and build. Releasing a 100-400mm lens only really makes sense f it is either a direct replacement for the 100-300mm, or if it is a notable upgrade.

Given the comments I would expect a lens on the vein of the Leica/Olympus pro lenses, which will not be cheap for such a specialized lens, and is one of the lenses you see people constantly asking for here (a high quality telephoto option).

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/narcosynthesis
www.illaname.deviantart.com

Jorginho Forum Pro • Posts: 14,266

Harold66 wrote:

I wonder who in these forums and out there really need such a lens . Hard to imagine that this could be useful for more than a very few photographers ( professional birders I guess )

1) any form of wildlife including BIF
2) Sports and other forms of action
3) for me: weather like tornadoes at a distance. The 100-300 was nice but its IQ failed me at the long end and tornadoes are not always in reach.
Now 1 + 2 addresses quite a few people really. 3 is mostly me and some other idiots.

in the meanwhile there is still no affordable , reasonably light 300mm equivalent , arguably the single most significant gap in the m4/3 lens line up among commonly used focal lengths

I agree when we compare to DSLRs mostly. Some things I can come up with:

- 100-300 MkII. WS, better IQ, 100% DFD capable.....800 euro.

Or.
- 100-250 mm f3.5 to f4.5. WS, IQ like Oly 50-200 mm 4/3 DFD etc....950 euro PLUS
- 1,5 TC (300 euro) to get us f4,8 to f6,3 150-375 mm lens.
Or split it over two lenses:
- 50-200 mm f3,5 to f5,6, otherwise like 50-200 Oly4/3 and good DFD focussing. (600 euro)
- 200-450 mm f4,8 to f6,7 with otherwise the same specs (1000 euro)

Later add on:
12,5 to 50 mm f2.8 to F3.5 (otherwise like Oly 12-60 f2.8 F4). DFD capable. (550 euro)

Something like these would indeed get a lineup of very decent lenses with no stellar prices.
Everytime such a question comes up I have the same response, I know. It is not for me personally but I SOOO agree it would set the m4/3 even more apart. Lenses make or break a system in a significant way. No other brand has such a line up (mirrorless), but Fuji has some lenses that are close to this.

Harold

-- hide signature --

thedemandingtraveler.org
www.haroldglit.com
www.modelmayhem.com/haroldglit

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +8 more

Skeeterbytes wrote:

If true their product development cycle is a whole lot faster than Oly's.

Bring it on.

Rick

I spoke to the Oly rep at the same show but they were not as forthcoming with information.  They just smiled and said it would be coming VERY soon.  The rep did mention they already had literature on the lens so that would suggest it would be announced within the next few weeks, around the same time as the Panasonic lens.

-- hide signature --
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro

Jorginho wrote:

Harold66 wrote:

1) any form of wildlife including BIF
2) Sports and other forms of action
3) for me: weather like tornadoes at a distance. The 100-300 was nice but its IQ failed me at the long end and tornadoes are not always in reach.
Now 1 + 2 addresses quite a few people really. 3 is mostly me and some other idiots.

I agree when we compare to DSLRs mostly. Some things I can come up with:

- 100-300 MkII. WS, better IQ, 100% DFD capable.....800 euro.

Or.
- 100-250 mm f3.5 to f4.5. WS, IQ like Oly 50-200 mm 4/3 DFD etc....950 euro PLUS
- 1,5 TC (300 euro) to get us f4,8 to f6,3 150-375 mm lens.
Or split it over two lenses:
- 50-200 mm f3,5 to f5,6, otherwise like 50-200 Oly4/3 and good DFD focussing. (600 euro)
- 200-450 mm f4,8 to f6,7 with otherwise the same specs (1000 euro)

Later add on:
12,5 to 50 mm f2.8 to F3.5 (otherwise like Oly 12-60 f2.8 F4). DFD capable. (550 euro)

Something like these would indeed get a lineup of very decent lenses with no stellar prices.
Everytime such a question comes up I have the same response, I know. It is not for me personally but I SOOO agree it would set the m4/3 even more apart. Lenses make or break a system in a significant way. No other brand has such a line up (mirrorless), but Fuji has some lenses that are close to this.

Harold

Yup, m43 will be the only mirrorless mount with 2 high quality long telephoto lens options that don't directly overlap.

-- hide signature --
Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 14,125

It's not hard to conclude there's a good deal of pent-up demand based on the frantic/enthusiastic response to every rumor and announcement about the two coming lenses. I wouldn't have been a potential customer five years ago, but the cameras have come so far in the meantime the lenses make sense today, because the better cameras have me doing new things with them.

Looking forward to tallying the "I thought this was micro four-thirds" posts once they're out.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

Equivalence and diffraction-free since 2009.
You can be too; ask about our 12-step program.

Trevor Carpenter
Trevor Carpenter Forum Pro • Posts: 15,184

Harold66 wrote:

A very naïve statement.   There are thousands of us who want this kind of tool in the toolbox.  Go to any outdoor event with a bit of action thrown in and you will see Canikons in huge numbers with a vast array of long zooms and primes.  The same events tend to have good numbers of superzooms as well because of the attractiveness of light weight and long length.  m4/3s is crying out for this type of lens.

-- hide signature --
 Trevor Carpenter's gear list:Trevor Carpenter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +1 more
Psychobabble Regular Member • Posts: 345

Haven't been following this...what's the aperture range?

Astrotripper Veteran Member • Posts: 6,085

Michael M Fliegel wrote:

Why? It will wipe the floor with both of those. At least it better be, otherwise it's pointless.

Astrotripper's gear list:Astrotripper's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M1 II +17 more
lmeng
lmeng Regular Member • Posts: 223
The price is much better than reported before ($2500) NT

No text.

lmeng's gear list:lmeng's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +9 more
doccy Regular Member • Posts: 351
Re: The price is much better than reported before ($2500) NT

yes - at that price i could possibly be persuaded.

-- hide signature --
yvest75 Forum Member • Posts: 85

Skeeterbytes wrote:

It's not hard to conclude there's a good deal of pent-up demand based on the frantic/enthusiastic response to every rumor and announcement about the two coming lenses. I wouldn't have been a potential customer five years ago, but the cameras have come so far in the meantime the lenses make sense today, because the better cameras have me doing new things with them.

Looking forward to tallying the "I thought this was micro four-thirds" posts once they're out.

Cheers,

Rick

It really isn't THAT big, when look at it in below video :

https://youtu.be/tynV1AGcmMo?t=9m56s

Even really small compared to a canon or nikon 500 or 600 ...

yvest75's gear list:yvest75's gear list
Sony RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads