Shutter lag comparison of Sony, Canon and Nikon cameras.

Started Nov 11, 2015 | Discussions
john
john Regular Member • Posts: 300
Shutter lag comparison of Sony, Canon and Nikon cameras.
3

I compiled the shutter lag test data from image-resource.com to show a rough comparison of Sony mirror less and SLT cameras against Canikon DSLRs. Since the lens used for different cameras affected the focus speed, these data just represent a range of the camera speed.

Below is the standard test description of A6000 as an example:

Full Autofocus,
Center AF area
AF-S mode

0.150 second

"Time from fully pressing shutter button to image capture, with the lens already at the proper focal distance setting. (All AF timing performed with Sony E 16-50mm kit lens.)"

So if someone tells you DSLR is faster than your Sony, show him/her this table (:

 john's gear list:john's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a77 II Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Sigma 300-800mm F5.6 EX DG HSM +5 more
Leica SL (Typ 601) Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
sgoldswo
sgoldswo Veteran Member • Posts: 5,742
Re: Shutter lag comparison of Sony, Canon and Nikon cameras.
3

john wrote:

I compiled the shutter lag test data from image-resource.com to show a rough comparison of Sony mirror less and SLT cameras against Canikon DSLRs. Since the lens used for different cameras affected the focus speed, these data just represent a range of the camera speed.

Below is the standard test description of A6000 as an example:

Full Autofocus,
Center AF area
AF-S mode

0.150 second

"Time from fully pressing shutter button to image capture, with the lens already at the proper focal distance setting. (All AF timing performed with Sony E 16-50mm kit lens.)"

So if someone tells you DSLR is faster than your Sony, show him/her this table (:

It misses the effect of EVF lag, which combined with shutter lag have traditionally been a problem for mirrorless. For example, aside from vibration, this was one of the issues with the original A7R that drove me crazy and led to me selling the camera.

 sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X100F Olympus E-M1 II Leica M10 Sony a7R III +3 more
john
OP john Regular Member • Posts: 300
Re: Shutter lag comparison of Sony, Canon and Nikon cameras.
1

sgoldswo wrote:

john wrote:

I compiled the shutter lag test data from image-resource.com to show a rough comparison of Sony mirror less and SLT cameras against Canikon DSLRs. Since the lens used for different cameras affected the focus speed, these data just represent a range of the camera speed.

Below is the standard test description of A6000 as an example:

Full Autofocus,
Center AF area
AF-S mode

0.150 second

"Time from fully pressing shutter button to image capture, with the lens already at the proper focal distance setting. (All AF timing performed with Sony E 16-50mm kit lens.)"

So if someone tells you DSLR is faster than your Sony, show him/her this table (:

It misses the effect of EVF lag, which combined with shutter lag have traditionally been a problem for mirrorless. For example, aside from vibration, this was one of the issues with the original A7R that drove me crazy and led to me selling the camera.

I haven't noticed any problem with EVF lag with my A77ii EVF for BIF shooting. If the review time in EVF is the problem, you can turn it off.

 john's gear list:john's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a77 II Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Sigma 300-800mm F5.6 EX DG HSM +5 more
tqlla Veteran Member • Posts: 6,173
Re: Shutter lag comparison of Sony, Canon and Nikon cameras.

That A77ii is laying the smack down.

 tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony a7R III Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG DN
alextardif
alextardif Senior Member • Posts: 1,376
Re: Shutter lag comparison of Sony, Canon and Nikon cameras.
3

Hm, strange... my biggest gripe with A7ii was the shutter lag.  It felt really bad, especially next to A77ii which felt instant.  When I was shooting A7ii next to A7Rii I could swear that the A7Rii was faster.  I don't have issues with it at all on A7Rii.  This makes me question the validity of the chart... wonder if FW version made a difference.  I know for a fact that A7Rii felt noticeably faster than A7ii to me.  Maybe I'm drinking my own cool aid here...

-- hide signature --

Alex

 alextardif's gear list:alextardif's gear list
Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony a7R III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM +2 more
john
OP john Regular Member • Posts: 300
Re: Shutter lag comparison of Sony, Canon and Nikon cameras.

alextardif wrote:

Hm, strange... my biggest gripe with A7ii was the shutter lag. It felt really bad, especially next to A77ii which felt instant. When I was shooting A7ii next to A7Rii I could swear that the A7Rii was faster. I don't have issues with it at all on A7Rii. This makes me question the validity of the chart... wonder if FW version made a difference. I know for a fact that A7Rii felt noticeably faster than A7ii to me. Maybe I'm drinking my own cool aid here...

There could be a lens/camera combination effect too. Some lens could amplify the difference between A7ii and A7rii.

 john's gear list:john's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a77 II Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Sigma 300-800mm F5.6 EX DG HSM +5 more
JimKasson
JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 37,017
Re: Shutter lag comparison of Sony, Canon and Nikon cameras.

john wrote:

I compiled the shutter lag test data from image-resource.com to show a rough comparison of Sony mirror less and SLT cameras against Canikon DSLRs. Since the lens used for different cameras affected the focus speed, these data just represent a range of the camera speed.

Below is the standard test description of A6000 as an example:

Full Autofocus,
Center AF area
AF-S mode

0.150 second

"Time from fully pressing shutter button to image capture, with the lens already at the proper focal distance setting. (All AF timing performed with Sony E 16-50mm kit lens.)"

So if someone tells you DSLR is faster than your Sony, show him/her this table (:

I am not currently a Canon user, but I use the D4, D810, and a7x cameras. I have a few questions about the test conditions.

D4sL LV on or off?

D810: EFCS on or off? (on requires MUP mode).

a7RII, a7II: EFCS on or off? (on should be faster, as the shutter doesn't have to be wound before the exposure.

Do you have results for manual focusing?

Thanks,

Jim

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GFX 100 Sony a7R IV Sony a9 II +1 more
DonHF Forum Member • Posts: 94
Re: Shutter lag comparison of Sony, Canon and Nikon cameras.

The "Prefocused" speed is a preferable measure of shutter lag.

With any camera system you should AF before the critical moment arrives.

john
OP john Regular Member • Posts: 300
Re: Shutter lag comparison of Sony, Canon and Nikon cameras.

JimKasson wrote:

john wrote:

I compiled the shutter lag test data from image-resource.com to show a rough comparison of Sony mirror less and SLT cameras against Canikon DSLRs. Since the lens used for different cameras affected the focus speed, these data just represent a range of the camera speed.

Below is the standard test description of A6000 as an example:

Full Autofocus,
Center AF area
AF-S mode

0.150 second

"Time from fully pressing shutter button to image capture, with the lens already at the proper focal distance setting. (All AF timing performed with Sony E 16-50mm kit lens.)"

So if someone tells you DSLR is faster than your Sony, show him/her this table (:

I am not currently a Canon user, but I use the D4, D810, and a7x cameras. I have a few questions about the test conditions.

D4sL LV on or off?

D810: EFCS on or off? (on requires MUP mode).

a7RII, a7II: EFCS on or off? (on should be faster, as the shutter doesn't have to be wound before the exposure.

Do you have results for manual focusing?

Thanks,

Jim

Jim,

The website did not mention the detailed function setting you mentioned. But I am sure the tests were for viewfinder only, not LV mode.

 john's gear list:john's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a77 II Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Sigma 300-800mm F5.6 EX DG HSM +5 more
HFLM Senior Member • Posts: 1,977
Re: Shutter lag comparison of Sony, Canon and Nikon cameras.
6

Interesting. My Nikons feel much much faster than my Sony, especially if you take focussing and release into account.  The fastest focusing camera I used so far was the OMD-EM1.

 HFLM's gear list:HFLM's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R IV Sony a9 II Sony a1
JimKasson
JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 37,017
Re: Shutter lag comparison of Sony, Canon and Nikon cameras.
3

john wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

john wrote:

I compiled the shutter lag test data from image-resource.com to show a rough comparison of Sony mirror less and SLT cameras against Canikon DSLRs. Since the lens used for different cameras affected the focus speed, these data just represent a range of the camera speed.

Below is the standard test description of A6000 as an example:

Full Autofocus,
Center AF area
AF-S mode

0.150 second

"Time from fully pressing shutter button to image capture, with the lens already at the proper focal distance setting. (All AF timing performed with Sony E 16-50mm kit lens.)"

So if someone tells you DSLR is faster than your Sony, show him/her this table (:

I am not currently a Canon user, but I use the D4, D810, and a7x cameras. I have a few questions about the test conditions.

D4sL LV on or off?

D810: EFCS on or off? (on requires MUP mode).

a7RII, a7II: EFCS on or off? (on should be faster, as the shutter doesn't have to be wound before the exposure.

Do you have results for manual focusing?

Thanks,

Jim

Jim,

The website did not mention the detailed function setting you mentioned. But I am sure the tests were for viewfinder only, not LV mode.

Makes if pretty hard to decide if the tests are apples/apples.

The D4s result, if applied to subsequent exposures, would make it impossible for the camera to achieve 11 f/s.

Jim

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GFX 100 Sony a7R IV Sony a9 II +1 more
DonHF Forum Member • Posts: 94
Re: Shutter lag comparison of Sony, Canon and Nikon cameras.

JimKasson wrote:

Makes if pretty hard to decide if the tests are apples/apples.

The D4s result, if applied to subsequent exposures, would make it impossible for the camera to achieve 11 f/s.

Jim

Correct, that's why the "Prefocused" test should be used as an estimate of shutter lag, which for D4s is ~40msec .

osv Veteran Member • Posts: 9,970
Re: Shutter lag comparison of Sony, Canon and Nikon cameras.
2

JimKasson wrote:

I am not currently a Canon user, but I use the D4, D810, and a7x cameras. I have a few questions about the test conditions.

D4sL LV on or off?

D810: EFCS on or off? (on requires MUP mode).

The D810's AF shutter lag measured 0.212 second using single-area (center) AF mode, 0.235 second with flash enabled, and 51-point Auto Area AF lag measured 0.302 second. Some consumer DSLRs are actually faster in this test.

Manual focus lag was 56 milliseconds, a bit slower than the D800's 44ms. When prefocused, shutter lag was only 54 milliseconds, which is very good though again a bit slower than the D800/D800E's 43ms.

As expected, the Nikon D810's Live View mode adds considerable AF shutter lag, though it tested quite a bit faster than the D800/D800E. We measured 0.875 second for full autofocus lag, compared to 1.735 seconds for the D800/D800E.

Once prefocused, shutter lag in Live View mode was 0.158 second, also faster than the D800/D800E's 0.184 second, which is pretty good but still quite a bit slower than using the optical viewfinder.

To minimize the effect of different lens' focusing speed, we test AF-active shutter lag with the lens already set to the correct focal distance.

a7RII, a7II: EFCS on or off? (on should be faster, as the shutter doesn't have to be wound before the exposure.

Do you have results for manual focusing?

The Sony A7 II's full-autofocus shutter lag (with the subject at a fixed distance) was 0.221 second in Single-area (center) AF mode. This is very similar to the 0.227 second result we got for the A7. With electronic first curtain disabled (enabled is the default), full AF shutter lag increased to 0.359 second.

When manually focused, the Sony A7 II's lag time dropped to 0.151 second, which is good, but a bit slower than the 0.132 second we got for the A7. The Sony A7 II's prefocused shutter lag was 0.053 second which is also good, but oddly once again slower than the A7's 0.023 second.

To minimize the effect of different lens' focusing speed, we test AF-active shutter lag with the lens already set to the correct focal distance.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/sony-a7-ii/sony-a7-iiA6.HTM

===============================

Looking at the Sony A7R II's ability to determine that it's properly focused when shooting the same, static target multiple times without defocusing between shots (our standard test), its autofocus speeds were good for a mirrorless ILC, and competitive with many DSLRs. The Sony A7R II's full-autofocus shutter lag (with the subject at a fixed distance) was 0.212 second in Single-area (center) AF mode. This is a noticeable improvement over the 0.359 second result we measured for the A7R.

When manually focused, the Sony A7R II's lag time dropped to 0.107 second, which is good, and again noticeably better than the 0.261 second we measured for the A7R.

The Sony A7R II's prefocused shutter lag was only 0.020 second which is excellent, much better than the A7R's 0.163 second. We can thank the A7R II's electronic first-curtain shutter which is enabled by default for the much lower shutter lag (the A7R did not have an electronic first-curtain shutter option).

To minimize the effect of different lens' focusing speed, we test AF-active shutter lag with the lens already set to the correct focal distance.

-- hide signature --

dan

JimKasson
JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 37,017
Re: Shutter lag comparison of Sony, Canon and Nikon cameras.
1

Thanks, Dan. EFCS, as expected, makes a big difference in the alpha 7 cameras that support it.

In my experience with Nikons and sports, the lens focusing speed is a big factor. My pre-VR 400/2.8 focuses so fast it's shocking sometimes. The new E series 500/4 and 600/4 are supposed to be even faster.

Jim

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GFX 100 Sony a7R IV Sony a9 II +1 more
Philnw2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,683
Re: Shutter lag comparison of Sony, Canon and Nikon cameras.

DonHF wrote:

The "Prefocused" speed is a preferable measure of shutter lag.

With any camera system you should AF before the critical moment arrives.

Exactly.  I used to shoot play dress rehearsals.  I'd use backbutton focus on my K3 to prefocus actors on a stage and then shoot 4 or 5 shots, than pre-focus again, etc.  If the actors moved to a new area on the stage, then i would prefocus again.  I had a very high rate of focused shots that way.  The problem with making focus a condition of shutter fire is that if focus is missed by the AF system, pressing with a shutter does nothing if the A7XX is set to AF priority.  Happened to me a few nights ago when shooting in the twilight.  I'm having to learn old lessons with my Sony

-- hide signature --

Phil B
Sony A7RII, Pentax K-3, Sony Nex 6, 5n, Epson 3880

 Philnw2's gear list:Philnw2's gear list
Sony a7R II Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +4 more
Philnw2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,683
Re: Shutter lag comparison of Sony, Canon and Nikon cameras.

john wrote:

sgoldswo wrote:

john wrote:

I compiled the shutter lag test data from image-resource.com to show a rough comparison of Sony mirror less and SLT cameras against Canikon DSLRs. Since the lens used for different cameras affected the focus speed, these data just represent a range of the camera speed.

Below is the standard test description of A6000 as an example:

Full Autofocus,
Center AF area
AF-S mode

0.150 second

"Time from fully pressing shutter button to image capture, with the lens already at the proper focal distance setting. (All AF timing performed with Sony E 16-50mm kit lens.)"

So if someone tells you DSLR is faster than your Sony, show him/her this table (:

It misses the effect of EVF lag, which combined with shutter lag have traditionally been a problem for mirrorless. For example, aside from vibration, this was one of the issues with the original A7R that drove me crazy and led to me selling the camera.

I haven't noticed any problem with EVF lag with my A77ii EVF for BIF shooting. If the review time in EVF is the problem, you can turn it off.

I agree.  I turned off the review function a coupla weeks ago and haven't missed it.  Faster to manually review a few pictures than to put up with the review delays for each and every shot.

-- hide signature --

Phil B
Sony A7RII, Pentax K-3, Sony Nex 6, 5n, Epson 3880

 Philnw2's gear list:Philnw2's gear list
Sony a7R II Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +4 more
joema1
joema1 Contributing Member • Posts: 805
Re: Shutter lag comparison of Sony, Canon and Nikon cameras.
3

john wrote:

...I haven't noticed any problem with EVF lag with my A77ii EVF for BIF shooting. If the review time in EVF is the problem, you can turn it off.

There are several lag-related factors which are not accounted for by single-shot shutter lag as defined above. Collectively these factors blend together to form an overall perception of responsiveness.

(1) EVF lag when composing the shot. My A7RII EVF has a fast update rate and there's rarely a problem here.

(2) Shutter lag on *initial* pre-focused shot from button press to shutter actuation. I don't notice any difference between my 5D3 and A7RII.

(3) EVF blackout time on single shot. I'd estimate my A7RII has a significantly longer blackout period than my 5D3, but it's still so short it's no problem.

(4) EVF lag/blackout when shooting a burst of frames. This is a weak area on the A7RII -- it is very significant. This has nothing to do with picture review. During burst shooting the EVF update rate drops from about 30 per sec to about 5 per sec, plus the blackout intervals further intrude. Given sufficient CPU horsepower there is no reason a mirrorless camera could not maintain full EVF update rate during burst shooting, plus have zero blackout. This is just a limitation of the current technology.

 joema1's gear list:joema1's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a7R II Sony a7R III Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +12 more
ZeneticX Regular Member • Posts: 248
Re: Shutter lag comparison of Sony, Canon and Nikon cameras.

Philnw2 wrote:

DonHF wrote:

The "Prefocused" speed is a preferable measure of shutter lag.

With any camera system you should AF before the critical moment arrives.

Exactly. I used to shoot play dress rehearsals. I'd use backbutton focus on my K3 to prefocus actors on a stage and then shoot 4 or 5 shots, than pre-focus again, etc. If the actors moved to a new area on the stage, then i would prefocus again. I had a very high rate of focused shots that way. The problem with making focus a condition of shutter fire is that if focus is missed by the AF system, pressing with a shutter does nothing if the A7XX is set to AF priority. Happened to me a few nights ago when shooting in the twilight. I'm having to learn old lessons with my Sony

You can configure your a7 camera to use backbutton focus if you want to

-- hide signature --
 ZeneticX's gear list:ZeneticX's gear list
Sony a7 Nikon D3300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Phase One Capture One Pro
Philnw2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,683
Re: Shutter lag comparison of Sony, Canon and Nikon cameras.

joema1 wrote:

john wrote:

...I haven't noticed any problem with EVF lag with my A77ii EVF for BIF shooting. If the review time in EVF is the problem, you can turn it off.

There are several lag-related factors which are not accounted for by single-shot shutter lag as defined above. Collectively these factors blend together to form an overall perception of responsiveness.

(1) EVF lag when composing the shot. My A7RII EVF has a fast update rate and there's rarely a problem here.

(2) Shutter lag on *initial* pre-focused shot from button press to shutter actuation. I don't notice any difference between my 5D3 and A7RII.

(3) EVF blackout time on single shot. I'd estimate my A7RII has a significantly longer blackout period than my 5D3, but it's still so short it's no problem.

(4) EVF lag/blackout when shooting a burst of frames. This is a weak area on the A7RII -- it is very significant. This has nothing to do with picture review. During burst shooting the EVF update rate drops from about 30 per sec to about 5 per sec, plus the blackout intervals further intrude. Given sufficient CPU horsepower there is no reason a mirrorless camera could not maintain full EVF update rate during burst shooting, plus have zero blackout. This is just a limitation of the current technology.

Regards 4., it could be that the engineers have prioritized cpu time to dealing with the burst shooting over the EVF update.  Sure, the engineers could put in an additional processing chip but that would take more battery power, larger camera body, etc.  So going small in camera size puts some limitations on the design - which is ok to me.

Below, its shown that turning off EFCS speeds up shutter reponse remarkably.  Plus i imagine one could look at shutting off other non-essential functions like photo processing in camera, exposure calculations, etc.  Altho it looks like EFCS is the big improvement.

-- hide signature --

Phil B
Sony A7RII, Pentax K-3, Sony Nex 6, 5n, Epson 3880

 Philnw2's gear list:Philnw2's gear list
Sony a7R II Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +4 more
JimKasson
JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 37,017
Re: Shutter lag comparison of Sony, Canon and Nikon cameras.

Philnw2 wrote:


Below, its shown that turning off EFCS speeds up shutter reponse remarkably.

In my experience, it's exactly the opposite. EFCS on implies faster shutter response, because the shutter is not wound after the release is depressed.

Jim

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GFX 100 Sony a7R IV Sony a9 II +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads