NX300 firmware hack to remove video recording limitations

Started Nov 9, 2015 | Discussions
tecnoworld
tecnoworld Veteran Member • Posts: 7,232
Re: Some interesting things from NX500 firmware - LONG POST!

Very, very interesting, especially the parts about crop modes and 240fps!

So do you think there could be a way to enable that speed?

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX1 +15 more
otto k Senior Member • Posts: 2,124

I have no idea. Remember, just because something is declared in firmware does not mean that it's actually implemented - it could be there just for debug. Also, if 240fps were that simple I think samsung would have already enabled it at least on NX1.

I'm more interested whether scan.sh is executed on wifi scan.

otto k's gear list:otto k's gear list
Samsung NX1000 Canon EOS 600D Samsung NX500 Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +6 more
Pavel Masek Regular Member • Posts: 110

Very interesting - but it is strange there is no command that would affect bitrate (there are couple of options in camera's menu)

Pavel Masek's gear list:Pavel Masek's gear list
Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 45mm F1.8 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +3 more

Oh, there surely is, but files are damaged in extraction and this is not full data (there are pages of options just for liveview settings).

It's actually incredible how much effort went into this firmware, it makes even less sense not to implement some trivial things and even less sense to drop everything...

Samsung NX1000 Canon EOS 600D Samsung NX500 Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +6 more
lamer01 Junior Member • Posts: 48
Re: WARNING - VERY LONG POST - Some interesting things from NX500 FW

I would like to see what the current settings are for these:

sensorframerate 12,15,20,24,25,30,40,50,60,100,120,240
outputframerate 12,15,20,24,25,30,40,50,60,100,120,240
dataframerate 12,15,20,24,25,30,40,50,60,100,120,240

I am mainly interested in lessening rolling shutter on the NX1.

foolishmortal23 Junior Member • Posts: 48

I thought rolling shutter was an artifact of the physical limitations of the sensor;that is to say, how long it takes to be read. If that were true, boosting frame rate wouldn't help.

You are correct. Limiting the area of the sensor that is read out (cropping) could help though, it (in theory) would take 1.7 times less time to read out lines, or even less as not the whole line has to be read, it might be close to 3 times less data (6.5k vs 3840) at the cost of reduced angle of view.

Nx500 crops the sensor but still has similar rolling shutter, maybe due to lesser processing stage, who knows.

lamer01 Junior Member • Posts: 48

foolishmortal23 wrote:

I thought rolling shutter was an artifact of the physical limitations of the sensor;that is to say, how long it takes to be read. If that were true, boosting frame rate wouldn't help.

If u can read the whole sensor 240 times per second, there should be no discernible rolling shutter. Same for 120 fps.

It does not work that way, unfortunately. At 240fps (or anything higher than 30 fps for 33ms rolling shutter) the next frame scan starts before the previous has finished. At 120fps you have 4 scans crawling along the vertical plane of sensor at the same time, each offset by one quarter of the path.

Once we reach ~5ms rolling shutter we will be very close to eliminating mechanical shutter (which also suffers from rolling shutter at very high shutter speeds like 1/4000s and similar, essentially anything faster than sync speed). Holy grail is global shutter (without downsides global shutters have today), but I think ~2ms will enable for 1/250s sync speed and no visible rolling shutter in video.

You should Google rolling shutter examples to see exactly how it works and why.

giulfan New Member • Posts: 1
Re: NX300 firmware hack to remove video recording limitations

Hi, link for custom firmware NX 300 Hack Video Limit doesn't work. Can you up it again? Thank you so much
You can also send me it by mail: giul.fan@gmail.com. Thanks

blackadder01 New Member • Posts: 1

+1 - does anyone have a mirror for this download?

ReCaptcha Regular Member • Posts: 316
Re: New bugfix release

I keep seeing a lot people asking for an updated mirror/link. This link is still active. If there was a way to mod/sticky this one to the top of the thread that would be awesome, but I don't believe DPR's forums work that way.

NewToCameras wrote:

https://mega.nz/#!RAJCiIIZ!LappfCn1QSppxx9eu49DvTqS9GhvSYA_Edqr6S6o2ZA

Fixes the issue previously mentioned where importing RAW images into Lightroom would cause Lightroom to crash.

The link in the OP is dead. That was version "B". About halfway down the threads on this page you can find "Version C": http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3923549?page=4 Probably best to grab a copy while it's active.

Enjoy!

ReCaptcha's gear list:ReCaptcha's gear list
YI M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Kodak Pixpro S-1 Panasonic GX850 Fujifilm X-A5 +33 more
ReCaptcha Regular Member • Posts: 316

blackadder01 wrote:

+1 - does anyone have a mirror for this download?

Here's the OP's updated link (Version C): https://mega.nz/#!RAJCiIIZ!LappfCn1QSppxx9eu49DvTqS9GhvSYA_Edqr6S6o2ZA

ReCaptcha's gear list:ReCaptcha's gear list
YI M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Kodak Pixpro S-1 Panasonic GX850 Fujifilm X-A5 +33 more
tecnoworld
tecnoworld Veteran Member • Posts: 7,232

Isn't there anyone able to keep this file and compare with the original, in order to find the differences? And apply those to nx1 and nx500 as well?

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX1 +15 more

It doesn't work that way. Samsung changed completely the format and packing of firmware somewhere along the way. Even if they didn't, it would still not work, even between different versions of the same firmware. Sorry

sometimesphoto New Member • Posts: 1
big problem with card format

Hello and thank you very very much for this new firmware (1.45c). Since i bought the NX300 i wait for it, to record videos longer than 30min.

First short question: With this firmware, is it also possible to load the camera while stay on? Because it recorded nearly 90min with 100% battery power on plugged in power adapter. Usually, also with power adapter, the battery empty out.

Second question: I got a realy big problem. Because on the card are a lot of holiday pictures, i resign to format the card with extFAT and record one shot 80min long in 1920x1080/24p on this FAT32 formated card. And now i got one corrupt file. I know its endless stupid and i facepalme all time about my fault, but is there any.. any.. possibility to scrape the bits from the card? Maybe the cam writes the stream along behind the filesize limit and its somehow possible to find and glue at least a couple of this bits together to a video?

thank you all

EosTurk New Member • Posts: 2

I was able to use the remove the time limit hack from NX30, NX300 and NX1100. NX1100 does not have a AE button so substitue TRASH icon.

NX30 and NX300 is showing a constant number for all video recordings instead of a duration.

Remaining constant seems to roughly equate the 34.67 GB limit the timelimit hack seem to has for NX1 in mbytes in 2 decimal places. 34.67 × 1024 is 35,502.08. Constant is 3579139 with no decimal.

NX1100 is showing an actual duration.

xectis
xectis Forum Member • Posts: 55

Hi,

As this is an old thread the zip download is no longer available. Could you please send me a fresh link to this hack.

Many thanks

OP NewToCameras Junior Member • Posts: 31

Hey, one of my other posts in this thread has a link to version C of the firmware, I pulled the file linked in the OP because of a bug I found in it.

NewToCameras's gear list:NewToCameras's gear list
Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 45mm F1.8 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +2 more
xectis
xectis Forum Member • Posts: 55

NewToCameras wrote:

Hey, one of my other posts in this thread has a link to version C of the firmware, I pulled the file linked in the OP because of a bug I found in it.

Hey there, I found the link. Many thanks. Wonder if there has been any further work on this camera, like better video bit rates etc.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads