NX300 firmware hack to remove video recording limitations

Started Nov 9, 2015 | Discussions
David Gacuca
David Gacuca Regular Member • Posts: 199
Re: A very important change to make would be ...

NewToCameras wrote:

It's probably not removed entirely, just that there's no way of selecting the option in the menu. Setting the camera resolution and fps appears to be a simple matter of inputting the right numbers into the function that sets up the camcorder features. The limiting factor would be performance, I would think. I'll be getting my NX300 back later today, so I'll be testing various resolutions to see how far I can push it.

I hope to start tinkering with the NX1/NX500 firmwares soon, after I take care of the low hanging fruit on the NX300. I might port the changes to the NX300M as well.

Below is a link to my dropbox with NX1 firmware 1.30 and 1.32.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sf85d6y5qftoxs4/AACGBVhyIPF5g2VVb09dE3Aza?dl=0

All power to you fella....

-- hide signature --

David G (Njau)
A very satisfied A2 & KM 5D and Sony A100 & A700 user

David Gacuca's gear list:David Gacuca's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Samsung Galaxy NX Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS
tecnoworld
tecnoworld Veteran Member • Posts: 7,232

great, adding this to the 1.22 I shared and the present 1.4, you have now 4 fw to compare!

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX1 +15 more
OP NewToCameras Junior Member • Posts: 31
New bugfix release

https://mega.nz/#!RAJCiIIZ!LappfCn1QSppxx9eu49DvTqS9GhvSYA_Edqr6S6o2ZA

Fixes the issue previously mentioned where importing RAW images into Lightroom would cause Lightroom to crash.

NewToCameras's gear list:NewToCameras's gear list
Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 45mm F1.8 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +2 more

Thanks, I'll see if I can figure something out from these.

Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 45mm F1.8 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +2 more
flip 21
flip 21 Senior Member • Posts: 1,290

Do you know this site?

http://op-co.de/blog/posts/hacking_the_nx300/

Thanks,

Filipe

tabloid Veteran Member • Posts: 3,002
Re: New bugfix release

This is the first time that ive read everything on here from top to bottom.

Very interesting.

Keep up the good work.

Kisaha Senior Member • Posts: 2,213
Re: New bugfix release

Excellent job. If I don't give my NX300, I will definitely try it!

Yeah, I read those posts around the time that they were made. It's how I originally started messing around with my camera, but it wasn't until recently that I actually tried to do something with that info. Both that site and the crypto photography site I linked to at the top of the tread were where I got most of what I needed to get started.

amanieux Junior Member • Posts: 26

yes i am sure a lot of things could be unlocked on the nx500, by the way for those who want to upgrade from their nx300 to get the 4k video for cheap, next week nx500 start sell for $499 http://www.samsung.com/us/shop/black-friday/digital-camerasand for those who are turned off by the lack of viewfiender, with a $9 magnetic removable 3X viewfinder it is reallycomfy and cool looking ( though it almost double the carrying volume of the camera so if someone has a link to a folding model lcd viewfinder, please share.

otto k Senior Member • Posts: 2,118

Ask and you shall receive
http://clearviewer.com/Products.html

otto k's gear list:otto k's gear list
Samsung NX1000 Canon EOS 600D Samsung NX500 Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +6 more
amanieux Junior Member • Posts: 26

thanks but it is missing some fabric to protect the screen from sun glare 

vatazhka
vatazhka Regular Member • Posts: 355
Re: NX300 firmware hack to remove video recording limitations

otto k wrote:

May I suggest perhaps easier or at least safer method? You just need a hacked firmware as a way to run a binary off the card after the camera boots and let your program/script modify the memory of the camera binary (your process has root and can access /proc fs, right?). A good start is to dump memory of camera binary to a file on SD and go from there.

Why is this better approach IMHO: you only need to create one firmware (so it runs your binary off SD after boot) and after that there's practically zero risk of bricking the camera as simple removal of card reverts back to normal state. Also, no need to rebuild firmware after each change, etc. It would be possible to have "custom" SD cards while others work normally. This is a bit more work initially but much easier in every next iteration.

I don't have hackable nx camera (just nx1000) to try but this approach works for normal Linux (on pc) so it should work on Tizen as well (it works for guy who made custom encrypting firmware for nx300).

The main issue is that the hook which allows for execution of shell scripts from SD is only present in few firmware versions of few Tizen-based cameras (e.g. in the most recent firmware for NX300 but not in the one for NX300M).

I reviewed the pre-production NX500 firmware and there were no such hooks in the start up routine. Even if there are some unintended entry points, they might be removed in a subsequent firmware release.

However, I suspect that there is support in the bootloader for running firmware from SD. As you are obviously skilled in reverse engineering ARM code, could you look into this, please? Perhaps we could boot our own system from the SD card, making it both trivial and safe to use alternative firmware.

-- hide signature --

Check here if your Samsung NX / NX mini camera & lens firmware is up to date!

vatazhka's gear list:vatazhka's gear list
Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX mini Samsung NX500 Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samsung NX 45mm F1.8 2D/3D +3 more

It's been a while since I disassembled any complex program (not in last 15 years) but I could probably find a few of my students that would be interested. Alas I don't have nx1 or nx500 and I don't know anybody else here with one but one couple who would not donate it

I could find nx300 but I don't feel it would be worth the effort.

Samsung NX1000 Canon EOS 600D Samsung NX500 Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +6 more
tecnoworld

This would indeed be revolutionary for nx1 and nx500 and could infuse new life in them.

v12nut Regular Member • Posts: 289

otto k wrote:

I could find nx300 but I don't feel it would be worth the effort.

Otto,

I for one wont be giving up my nx300 anytime soon! I am sure there are a lot of nx300 out there that would appreciate your efforts

cheers

Pavel Masek Regular Member • Posts: 110

NewToCameras wrote:

It's probably not removed entirely, just that there's no way of selecting the option in the menu. Setting the camera resolution and fps appears to be a simple matter of inputting the right numbers into the function that sets up the camcorder features. The limiting factor would be performance, I would think. I'll be getting my NX300 back later today, so I'll be testing various resolutions to see how far I can push it.

I hope to start tinkering with the NX1/NX500 firmwares soon, after I take care of the low hanging fruit on the NX300. I might port the changes to the NX300M as well.

Any news? How does it go?

Pavel Masek's gear list:Pavel Masek's gear list
Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 45mm F1.8 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +3 more
tecnoworld

Has this project died? :'(

Pavel Masek Regular Member • Posts: 110

Is this helpful at all? (taken from EOSHD forum)

Samsung DOES opensource the software for many of its cameras, including the NX1.

Their main site for this is @ http://opensource.samsung.com/

But you can find a .ZIP package of the source code for the NX1 (and cameras) with this direct link @ http://opensource.samsung.com/reception/receptionSub.do?method=sub&sub=T&menu_item=photography&classification1=digital cameras

Pavel Masek's gear list:Pavel Masek's gear list
Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 45mm F1.8 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +3 more

It's just source code for software not developed by Samsung but included in firmware that was released under GPL so they have legal obligation to publish sources and any modifications. All of the interesting stuff is done by proprietary software that is just a big executable file with no source, documentation, etc. Just machine code.

flip 21
flip 21 Senior Member • Posts: 1,290

I guess so... it was to good to be truth...On the other hand, Samsung has abandon us... abandon firmware update... I'm stucked with my crapy sound quality NX camera

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads