NEF raw files won't import into Lightroom from D5500

Started Nov 9, 2015 | Discussions
Phil4All Photography
Phil4All Photography Regular Member • Posts: 152
NEF raw files won't import into Lightroom from D5500

I got a Nikon D5500 a few days ago. Shot some photos with it in Raw today and tried to import them into lightroom 5.7 and it's telling me the files aren't supported in the raw file system in lightroom. I know NEF are proprietary raw files, but so are the files from my D610, and Lightroom imports them fine. Anybody run into this issue? Or have a workaround?

-- hide signature --

Currently shooting a Nikon D610 and Sony a6000.
Learning more every day!

Phil4All Photography's gear list:Phil4All Photography's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D70 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR +1 more
Nikon D5500 Nikon D610
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
thelenspainter Senior Member • Posts: 1,894
Re: NEF raw files won't import into Lightroom from D5500

See here: https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

For D5500 NEF files you will need at least Camera Raw 8.8 or Lightroom 6.

thelenspainter's gear list:thelenspainter's gear list
Leica TL2 Leica Summilux-TL 35mm F1.4 ASPH Leica T 55-135mm F3.5-4.5 Leica TL 18mm F2.8 +1 more
six34sigma
six34sigma Senior Member • Posts: 2,216

You need two things Adobe Camera RAW 8.8,9.0 and LR 6.0. See the following file:

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

If you are using CC don't think its at 6 yet at least mine still says 5.7.1 with no upgrade available.

Suggest using NX-D to import the files, convert them to TIFF's if you want to do further processing or JPG if happy. Yes its a pain.

My nickel in the game.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Sanjay

six34sigma's gear list:six34sigma's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon D90 +9 more
Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 26,023
Upgrade

Phil4All Photography wrote:

I got a Nikon D5500 a few days ago. Shot some photos with it in Raw today and tried to import them into lightroom 5.7 and it's telling me the files aren't supported in the raw file system in lightroom. I know NEF are proprietary raw files, but so are the files from my D610, and Lightroom imports them fine. Anybody run into this issue? Or have a workaround?

I believe you have to upgrade to LightRoom 6.X and ACR 8.8 or better ....or use the DNG Converter 9.0 or newer, to create DNGs from your NEFs and those DNGs will open in older software

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

six34sigma wrote:

You need two things Adobe Camera RAW 8.8,9.0 and LR 6.0. See the following file:

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

If you are using CC don't think its at 6 yet at least mine still says 5.7.1 with no upgrade available.

Are you sure about that? I'm on CC and my Lightroom doesn't have a version like 5.7, it just says 2015.2.1 release with CR 9.2. It works with D5500 files just fine.

Leica TL2 Leica Summilux-TL 35mm F1.4 ASPH Leica T 55-135mm F3.5-4.5 Leica TL 18mm F2.8 +1 more
six34sigma

This is what shows up on my machine:

• Lightroom version: 5.7.1 [994773]
  • License type: Creative Cloud
  • Operating system: Mac OS 10
  • Version: 10.11 [1]
  • Application architecture: x64
  • Logical processor count: 4
  • Processor speed: 3.5 GHz
  • Built-in memory: 8192.0 MB
  • Real memory available to Lightroom: 8192.0 MB
  • Real memory used by Lightroom: 450.4 MB (5.4%)
  • Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 913.1 MB
  • Memory cache size: 98.6 MB
  • Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 4
  • Displays: 1) 5120x2880

Happy to be wrong .... point me in the right direction.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Sanjay

Nikon D7100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon D90 +9 more

Here's what mine shows:

Lightroom version: CC 2015.2.1 [ 1046594 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Operating system: Mac OS 10
Version: 10.11 [1]
Application architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 4
Processor speed: 3.5 GHz
Built-in memory: 8,192.0 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 8,192.0 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 1,021.5 MB (12.4%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 2,411.6 MB
Memory cache size: 362.0 MB
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 4
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Displays: 1) 5120x2880

I believe you might have installed the boxed version of Lightroom and activated it with a CC license, which I didn't think was possible. Clearly if you are paying the monthly fee for Lightroom CC you are missing out because your build of Lightroom (the number in square brackets) is way older than mine! Time to contact Adobe support.

PS Congrats on the iMac 5k Superb display, love mine!

six34sigma

Interesting.

I did have a boxed version of LR that came free with something but that was LR 4 something. Have now discovered that I have 3 versions of LR on my system:

• LR 4.x
  • LR 5.7.1
  • and LR CC

Lightroom version: CC 2015.2.1 [ 1046594 ]
License: Creative Cloud

How I arrived at this not sure but need to get rid of two versions 4.x and 5.7.1. LR is not my go to tool for Adobe its PS and rarely use it, but regardless. Why 5.7.1 is showing Creative Cloud as my license?

Thanks very much for the discussion and heads up.

Absolutely love my iMac, the display is superior and very much enjoy it as compared to my MBP (mid 2009). Got it for photography, the approximately 14x23" screen is outstanding.

Have a great day and thanks again.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Sanjay

Jim Hess Veteran Member • Posts: 5,417

six34sigma wrote:

This is what shows up on my machine:

• Lightroom version: 5.7.1 [994773]
  • License type: Creative Cloud
  • Operating system: Mac OS 10
  • Version: 10.11 [1]
  • Application architecture: x64
  • Logical processor count: 4
  • Processor speed: 3.5 GHz
  • Built-in memory: 8192.0 MB
  • Real memory available to Lightroom: 8192.0 MB
  • Real memory used by Lightroom: 450.4 MB (5.4%)
  • Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 913.1 MB
  • Memory cache size: 98.6 MB
  • Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 4
  • Displays: 1) 5120x2880

Happy to be wrong .... point me in the right direction.

For some reason, you are using an old version of Lightroom. The current creative cloud version of Lightroom is CC 2015.2.1. It might be necessary for you to install a new creative cloud application manager before you can upgrade to the current version.

ldjaffe New Member • Posts: 9

I didn't read through all the posts, but in case no one else mentioned the following ....

https://www.canonpricewatch.com/blog/2015/04/adobe-lightroom-6-how-to-upgrade-from-lr4lr5-for-only-79/

This explains how to update LR 5 > 6 for $79 and get the NEF function back within LR without a lot of workarounds.  Like others, I just discovered my LR v.5 could not import NEF files from my new Nikon.  After poking around in Adobe and DPReview forums and looking at a lot of kludgey solutions, I stumbled upon this.

I've gone through the whole process, purchasing an upgrade from 5 to 6, filling out lots of online forms, accepting who-knows-what user agreements, supplying new and old serial numbers, downloading, installing and updating my catalog ... and 2 hours later, IT WORKED!

CaMeRa QuEsT Regular Member • Posts: 398

I just got my D5500 and ran into the same problem.  Thought that by installing the latest DNG converter I'll be able to open the files, but that didn't work.  So I have to use the DNG converter to convert the NEF files to DNG, then LR can open them as usual, only you loose the Nikon Picture Control settings.

CaMeRa QuEsT's gear list:CaMeRa QuEsT's gear list
Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon PowerShot A650 IS Canon PowerShot A40 Canon EOS 1000D Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +20 more
Jim Hess Veteran Member • Posts: 5,417

CaMeRa QuEsT wrote:

I just got my D5500 and ran into the same problem. Thought that by installing the latest DNG converter I'll be able to open the files, but that didn't work. So I have to use the DNG converter to convert the NEF files to DNG, then LR can open them as usual, only you loose the Nikon Picture Control settings.

I don't know why you thought that simply installing the DNG converter would enable you to open your NEF files. The DNG converter is not "integrated" with any of the Adobe programs. It is a freestanding, separately running program that is used to generate DNG files. The way you are using it is the way it is intended to be used.

Both Lightroom and Bridge provided DNG conversion options. However, they only provide the option for cameras that are already supported by the software.

Gumbe55 New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Upgrade

Is there an upgrade path from Lightroom 3 to LIghtroom 6?

NicholasD
NicholasD Contributing Member • Posts: 647

Gumbe55 wrote:

No, not anymore, unless you can find the software on a disk, but I'm sure you won't find that from a legit or authorized retailer. For better or worse, options are stay with LR3, subscribe to one of the cloud based LR products, or find an alternative.

The following DPR articles describe recent LR changes.

News - Release of final standalone LR

Cloud based LR versions

NicholasD's gear list:NicholasD's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D40 Nikon D7200 Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +5 more
NicholasD
NicholasD Contributing Member • Posts: 647

NicholasD wrote:

Gumbe55 wrote:

No, not anymore, unless you can find the software on a disk, but I'm sure you won't find that from a legit or authorized retailer. For better or worse, options are stay with LR3, subscribe to one of the cloud based LR products, or find an alternative.

The following DPR articles describe recent LR changes.

News - Release of final standalone LR

Cloud based LR versions

@ Gumbe55.  I was mistaken (and surprised).  I came across this when looking for other software:   LR6_Amazon

Haven't looked at the other large retail sites, but apparently, they can sell from existing inventory. But what is clear is that Adobe isn't going to put any effort in upgrading or maintaining the product. Hope this helps.

NicholasD's gear list:NicholasD's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D40 Nikon D7200 Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +5 more
romfordbluenose Veteran Member • Posts: 4,234

Gumbe55 wrote:

Buy a new version of the standalone LR or subscribe to Adobe CC. Or use Nikon S/W to convert to DNG and then use LR.

However, LR 6.14 released at the end of last year will be the last stand alone version to be released so beware any cameras released after this date will not work.

-- hide signature --

Always try google before you start a thread. Most likely you'll find your answer straight away.

romfordbluenose's gear list:romfordbluenose's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Nikon D800 Nikon D5300 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR +14 more
Tootsall
Tootsall Senior Member • Posts: 1,653

Your other option is to give a trial to DXO Photolab (they have a 30-day free trial).  It can be found on sale at times (I got mine mid-February for $100 off).  DXO.com  It is a downloadable package that includes camera/lens correction profiles.  You can check your brand/model camera on their website to ensure it is covered.  It is (so far) not a subscription program.

Tootsall's gear list:Tootsall's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads