Gsimple App for focus Stacking and helicon focus

Started Nov 8, 2015 | Discussions
macropaul Regular Member • Posts: 385
Gsimple App for focus Stacking and helicon focus

Anyone used the gsimple app on there camera mine keeps switching to my panasonic image app i used setting five on the g simple release for this picture which seemed a good starting point .

Taken with gx8 and pl 15mm f1.7 maybe better if i had a macro lens although the 15mm does focus close but not macro

settings used f1.7 iso 1000 1/800th sec

macropaul's gear list:macropaul's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
BJN
BJN Veteran Member • Posts: 5,116
Re: Gsimple App for focus Stacking and helicon focus

I tried it a while ago and found the app difficult to use and poorly documented. What do you think now?

-- hide signature --

BJ Nicholls
SLC, UT

BJN's gear list:BJN's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5
maggiemole Senior Member • Posts: 1,817

For some reason my phone doesn't remember the password for the connection and the camera doesn't remember the phone's contact either: maybe this is what is happening to you? Don't select the "make a connection from history" option, that seems only to select the Lumix Image App. You have to choose "make a new connection" and go through all the details every time. It's a nuisance, and I shall have to find a way to keep the GX7 password with the phone, but once there it works well.

My question (I haven't used it much, just to check out that I know how to use it) is about the arrow buttons which move the focus point. They only go left to right. Most things will be in a different plane from front to back, i.e. showing as up and down on the screen. Is this right?

Maggie

maggiemole's gear list:maggiemole's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
OP macropaul Regular Member • Posts: 385

the gsimple app is buggy in my usage of it does not always work ,maybe after a half an hour of trying different options it does work which is annoying and i wish there was an ios version ,although it has been updated with extra features the stacking option is still awkward even when i get the app to link to gx8 i always have trouble starting the stack (first image) after this it normally works.

Roll on olympus 4.0 firmware for my omd em-1

Still do not know why panasonic can not do focus stacking in camera ,they do nearly every other thing under the sun .

macropaul's gear list:macropaul's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
hindesite Veteran Member • Posts: 4,892
Works very well!

I think this app is great, and it works very well.

Seems a lot of the complaints here are more related to connectivity (which so many people have trouble with), rather than the app itself.

There have been regular updates to the app, and it keeps getting better. It still has minor problems (for me, the screen not always updating, even while the app is otherwise working perfectly.

Here's the results of something I played around with the other day:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/56780684

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads