Non-responsive from controls of A6000

Started Nov 2, 2015 | Discussions
bronese New Member • Posts: 7
Non-responsive from controls of A6000

I've had the A6000 for quite some time already. However, suddenly today, I've had this the first time in my life.
My A6000 has unresponsive controls, except for OK and the shutter button. The ring button doesn't work, all the other buttons don't work, except for the OK and shutter button, please help.

LynniePad
LynniePad Veteran Member • Posts: 3,385
Re: Non-responsive from controls of A6000

Remove the battery and re-insert after about 30 seconds.

Try moving the top mode dial to some of the other settings.

Try resetting (menu).

OP bronese New Member • Posts: 7

Remove the battery and re-insert after about 30 seconds.

Try moving the top mode dial to some of the other settings.

Try resetting (menu).

i cant enter the menu, since none of the other buttons work, but the OK and shutter button. i tried the battery removal technique, didnt work.

JohnK Veteran Member • Posts: 7,061

Try seeing if cleaning the lens contacts makes a difference and try a different lens and try with no lens.

Try a different a memory card and try no memory card.

Try a different battery

Look in flash shoe to see if there's debris which could possibly cause a short.

Check all buttons, perhaps one is "stuck" causing problem.

If it just won't work, consider selling it as broken. My first a6000 broke, I sold it online, marked "Broken, For Parts or Repair" and I got 350. for it. New a6000 currently in the 450. range, so what's a hundred bucks compared to the hassle of Sony outsourced repair?

-- hide signature --

JohnK
Off the record.

JohnK's gear list:JohnK's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6300 Canon Pixma Pro-100
denvernoob Forum Member • Posts: 62

In addition to the other good ideas posted here previously, I might recommend seeing if the device will link to a computer via USB.  If it doesn't, it implies there may be some sort of either software problem or worse, hardware issue.

If it does connect to the computer, I would try re-flashing the latest firmware to the device from the SONY support site and see if that rectifies the problem.

denvernoob's gear list:denvernoob's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +3 more

In addition to the other good ideas posted here previously, I might recommend seeing if the device will link to a computer via USB.  If it doesn't, it implies there may be some sort of either software problem or worse, hardware issue.

If it does connect to the computer, I would try re-flashing the latest firmware to the device from the SONY support site and see if that rectifies the problem.

when it's plugged in and i turn on the power, it says USB Connected, but ill try by connecting it into a pc.

Ross Warner Senior Member • Posts: 1,353

bronese wrote:

I've had the A6000 for quite some time already. However, suddenly today, I've had this the first time in my life.
My A6000 has unresponsive controls, except for OK and the shutter button. The ring button doesn't work, all the other buttons don't work, except for the OK and shutter button, please help.

Looks like you have turned on Dial/Wheel Lock. Hold the Fn button for two seconds to unlock the camera, then change the setting in Custom Menu 6.

-Ross

Ross Warner's gear list:Ross Warner's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +6 more

Ross Warner wrote:

bronese wrote:

Looks like you have turned on Dial/Wheel Lock. Hold the Fn button for two seconds to unlock the camera, then change the setting in Custom Menu 6.

-Ross

doesnt work, theres the green dot on the bottom left.

Ross Warner Senior Member • Posts: 1,353

bronese wrote:

Ross Warner wrote:

bronese wrote:

-Ross

??? there's the green dot... ???

Ross Warner's gear list:Ross Warner's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +6 more

bronese wrote:

Ross Warner wrote:

bronese wrote:

-Ross

??? there's the green dot... ???

blinking

Green dot - focus locked
Green dot with radar lines each side - focus locked on a moving subject
Lines but no dot - aquiring focus
flashing green dot - cannot focus.

hamidkeshmiri New Member • Posts: 10

Hi everyone

I have this very same problem right now with my A6000.

As I turn it on it locks the focus. The green dot is there. The only working buttons are shutter and OK button, which make to refocus and the focus gets locked again. The only way to go to menu is to take a photo and pressing menu while it previewing the photo.

I reset to default settings and initialized. Problem remained the same.

I have experienced it with my both lenses, 1650kit lens and SEL55210.

I couldn't update the firmware, because I had the latest (v2.0) already. Firmware updater said you do not need to update and then aborted.

I'm suspecting the problem is due to sand entrance since I've recently been in a desert with no coverage. (Yes I know very stupid move!) However I didn't drop it in sand. But I thinking maybe it is not due sand after all, because its the exact case as bronese.

I am in a very uncertain condition, I have to decide in three days if I should ship it for repair to Canada (I'm in Iran currently), or If It could be repaired by local camera services. I'm also thinking of buying a new body and selling the broken as defective as JohnK mentioned, if the repair cost doesn't worth it.

So please help. Any advice or piece of information would be much appreciated.

I have posted my problem here:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3926516#forum-post-56782192

Ashley007 New Member • Posts: 11

I am having problems also for last 2 days with my Sony A6000

It takes photos fine, but sometime the play, menu and mode dial don`t work, and then sometimes you turn on and it works.

I have latest firmware, so cannot update to newer.

Tried different batteries and also without any SD Card, same problem.

hamidkeshmiri New Member • Posts: 10

Ashley007 wrote:

I am having problems also for last 2 days with my Sony A6000

It takes photos fine, but sometime the play, menu and mode dial don`t work, and then sometimes you turn on and it works.

I have latest firmware, so cannot update to newer.

Tried different batteries and also without any SD Card, same problem.

Hello Ashley007

Sorry for replying late!
I sent my camera and It was repaired under the warranty!!!

All I know is that they changed the motherboard, which I guess it would be very expensive to repair by my own cost! But I'm not still sure what was the cause of problem. Was it because of sand or just a part failure...

In my situation no button worked except the shutter, the OK button and ON/OFF. But very few time the buttons work for a short time and then the problem appeared again. I had the Focus problem as I described in my last comment.
Actually I posted my camera from Montreal, Quebec to a Sony partner company, MTC in Torront, Ontario. You should contact with Sony to get the closest Sony service center address to you. I described the situation in a letter, but I don't mention sand, because problems cause by sand are not covered by Sony Warranty.

It took around 1 or 2 week while they fixed it and then sent back the camera, by their own cost. All I found in the repair report paper is that the motherboard is changed.

Overall I am very happy with my experience. They accept my camera even that they received it 4 day after the 1 year warranty finish date! The camera is working properly, like a new view. So far It hasn't have any other problem.

I hope this information help you with your situation.

Ashley007 New Member • Posts: 11

Sorry only just saw your post - I've traced my problem down to the shutter button.

It seems to be activating all the time which is what stops the menu button and dial from responding.

I just posted about it on here

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/57320660

I believe there might be some kind of grease inside the shutter button causing the problems

Vermont3133
Vermont3133 Contributing Member • Posts: 876

Well it seems like Ive been struck down with this problem.

Basically the controls either dont work at all or do so intermittently.

Ive tried all the usual things...remove battery etc.

Im six months out of a Sony 12 month warranty.

Im planning to hit Sony with an Australian Consumer Protection Law which states that regardless of the manufactures warranty a consumer can expect a product to work for a reasonable length of time.

I did do a check on the shutter actuations...28,000...[I have been busy! :)]....but Im guessing that number would still be within the expected life of the camera?

Anyway....It's looking like a software issue......but I'm starting to think it could be shutter button related

Id be particularly interested hearing from anybody from Oz who has challenged the standard 12 months factory warranty.

-- hide signature --
 Vermont3133's gear list:Vermont3133's gear list
Fujifilm X-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +6 more
curiosifly Senior Member • Posts: 1,192

You might be covered by your credit card's extended warranty.

-- hide signature --

ciao

curiosifly's gear list:curiosifly's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
Vermont3133

curiosifly wrote:

You might be covered by your credit card's extended warranty.

Thanks mate...but probably not.

Interesting how situations like this present you with a fresh look at 'what is'

I love my a6000..I can replace it if necessary...the a6500 looks like a 'must have'... but at almost 3X the cost 0f the a6000...well...for my needs...no

-- hide signature --
Fujifilm X-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +6 more
Htbaa Contributing Member • Posts: 956
FN locked?

Are you sure it isn't locked by Fn? If you press and hold the Fn button for a couple of seconds you lock most buttons. That is to prevent from accidentally changing settings. Press and hold it again to unlock.

It's in the manual actually, but easy enough to oversee.

Htbaa's gear list:Htbaa's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Sigma 30mm F1.4 for Sony E +17 more
Vermont3133
Re: FN locked?

Htbaa wrote:

Are you sure it isn't locked by Fn? If you press and hold the Fn button for a couple of seconds you lock most buttons. That is to prevent from accidentally changing settings. Press and hold it again to unlock.

It's in the manual actually, but easy enough to oversee.

Thanks...but ...no....the operating options I'm getting now are completely random....

The camera ...is...basically.....[use the F word with D at the end]

-- hide signature --
Vermont3133
Re: FN locked?

Just a bit curious that it would seem very few people here have had this problem?

After a bit of searching I came across this......

https://community.sony.com/t5/Alpha-NEX-Cameras/Sony-A6000-dials-and-buttons-unresponsive/td-p/541076

Seems like it's not that rare at all!

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads