Paint Shop pro x4 and windows 10

Started Oct 23, 2015 | Questions
mike honour New Member • Posts: 4
Paint Shop pro x4 and windows 10

Corel PaintShop Pro X4.
Corel say this will not run on Windows 10.

HOWEVER
Have just upgraded my old PC from W7 (PSP was already installed) and X4 runs fine on W10
BUT
when trying to install PSP X4 on my new W10 Laptop (upgraded from W8.1), it installs but will not run - has anyone found a way around this please ?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
nand
nand Veteran Member • Posts: 3,254
Re: Paint Shop pro x4 and windows 10

Try "right click > properties > compatibility." That does help for some older programs at times.

Nand.

 nand's gear list:nand's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +30 more
dwalby Veteran Member • Posts: 5,895
Re: Paint Shop pro x4 and windows 10

nand wrote:

Try "right click > properties > compatibility." That does help for some older programs at times.

Nand.

if that doesn't help, try going to the Corel PSP forum and search there for Windows 8 problems and PSP X4.  A couple years ago when I bought a new Win8 desktop I had trouble with X4 starting properly, and a suggestion I found there fixed my problem.  Unfortunately, I can't recall exactly what the fix was but I seem to remember it had something to do with the service packs.

dwalby Veteran Member • Posts: 5,895
Re: found my solution, see if this helps at all

dwalby wrote:

nand wrote:

Try "right click > properties > compatibility." That does help for some older programs at times.

Nand.

if that doesn't help, try going to the Corel PSP forum and search there for Windows 8 problems and PSP X4. A couple years ago when I bought a new Win8 desktop I had trouble with X4 starting properly, and a suggestion I found there fixed my problem. Unfortunately, I can't recall exactly what the fix was but I seem to remember it had something to do with the service packs.

Here is a cut/paste from my reply to the Corel forum when I fixed my issues with X4.

" PSPX4 wouldn't run on initial installation on Win8, even if I tried compatibility mode. It complained about the program not being compatible, or something similar. Saw the post here about installing SP1, tried that and then the program wouldn't even launch at all, no response whatsoever. Then I tried installing SP2, and what do you know, its now working without any issues."

TvZ New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Paint Shop pro x4 and windows 10
1

mike honour wrote:

Corel PaintShop Pro X4.
Corel say this will not run on Windows 10.

HOWEVER
Have just upgraded my old PC from W7 (PSP was already installed) and X4 runs fine on W10
BUT
when trying to install PSP X4 on my new W10 Laptop (upgraded from W8.1), it installs but will not run - has anyone found a way around this please ?

i had same problem!

solution;

after installing win10 or psp x4 go to psp website and install sp2, ignore sp1.

problem solved.

adress: http://www.paintshoppro.com/en/support/updates/#psp-version-tab=4

gl, TvZ

Bobbert Contributing Member • Posts: 727
Re: Paint Shop pro x4 and windows 10

Try upgrading PSP There are often great sales. X4 is seriously past its best before date... They are up to X8 now.. On sale now at $63.99

-- hide signature --

Bob B
www.pbase.com/bbernstein
Olympus OMD EM-1, e30, e-510, 12~60, 50~200 ED, EC14, 18~180, 14~42, 40~150, 50mm macro, 9~18, fl36

contadorfan Senior Member • Posts: 2,446
Re: Paint Shop pro x4 and windows 10

Yes, do treat yourself to an upgrade. X8 is the fastest, smoothest version yet. Currently $43 at Amazon:

Price as of 12/26/2015

 contadorfan's gear list:contadorfan's gear list
Canon ELPH 115 IS Sony a99 II
Fotochicz
Fotochicz New Member • Posts: 8
Re: Paint Shop pro x4 and windows 10

TvZ wrote:

mike honour wrote:

Corel PaintShop Pro X4.
Corel say this will not run on Windows 10.

HOWEVER
Have just upgraded my old PC from W7 (PSP was already installed) and X4 runs fine on W10
BUT
when trying to install PSP X4 on my new W10 Laptop (upgraded from W8.1), it installs but will not run - has anyone found a way around this please ?

i had same problem!

solution;

after installing win10 or psp x4 go to psp website and install sp2, ignore sp1.

problem solved.

adress: http://www.paintshoppro.com/en/support/updates/#psp-version-tab=4

gl, TvZ

Ohhhhhhhhhh I really love you right now.. LOL Thank You sooooooooooooooo much for this solution.. I'm doing the happy dance.. 

-- hide signature --

“WHEN WORDS BECOME UNCLEAR, I SHALL FOCUS WITH PHOTOGRAPHS. WHEN IMAGES BECOME INADEQUATE, I SHALL BE CONTENT WITH SILENCE.” ~ANSEL ADAMS

 Fotochicz's gear list:Fotochicz's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX60 HS Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 5D Mark III +4 more
DonnaAp New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Paint Shop pro x4 and windows 10

I'm in a loop of sorts. I tried to install PSP 4 and got the message that it wasn't compatible with Windows 10. I came here and saw the messages about service packs. I got 2 and then 3, neither of which would work because they said I needed to install PSP first.

Suggestions? I really don't want to upgrade because I like the super simplicity of PSP and it does what I want. I don't do graphics for a living.

Thanks ahead of time.

Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 20,549
Re: Paint Shop pro x4 and windows 10
1

DonnaAp wrote:

I'm in a loop of sorts. I tried to install PSP 4 and got the message that it wasn't compatible with Windows 10. I came here and saw the messages about service packs. I got 2 and then 3, neither of which would work because they said I needed to install PSP first.

Suggestions? I really don't want to upgrade because I like the super simplicity of PSP and it does what I want. I don't do graphics for a living.

I understand your reluctance to upgrade, but PSP is really a pretty mature product and the updates don't really change things much.  And if you shop around, you can usually find a good price on a more recent version.

Thanks ahead of time.

 Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +13 more
Bobbert Contributing Member • Posts: 727
Re: Paint Shop pro x4 and windows 10
1

DonnaAp wrote:

I'm in a loop of sorts. I tried to install PSP 4 and got the message that it wasn't compatible with Windows 10. I came here and saw the messages about service packs. I got 2 and then 3, neither of which would work because they said I needed to install PSP first.

Suggestions? I really don't want to upgrade because I like the super simplicity of PSP and it does what I want. I don't do graphics for a living.

Thanks ahead of time.

The upgrade price is $40 CAD right now, though x4 may not qualify. Even at full price of $69  it’s a bargain for 90% of Photoshop at a tenth of the price

-- hide signature --

Bob B
www.pbase.com/bbernstein
Olympus OMD EM-1, e30, e-510, 12~60, 50~200 ED, EC14, EC20, 18~180, 14~42, 40~150, 50mm macro, 9~18, Panasonic 45-175 PZ, m.zuiko 75-300, fl36

dwalby Veteran Member • Posts: 5,895
Re: Paint Shop pro x4 and windows 10

Bobbert wrote:

DonnaAp wrote:

I'm in a loop of sorts. I tried to install PSP 4 and got the message that it wasn't compatible with Windows 10. I came here and saw the messages about service packs. I got 2 and then 3, neither of which would work because they said I needed to install PSP first.

Suggestions? I really don't want to upgrade because I like the super simplicity of PSP and it does what I want. I don't do graphics for a living.

Thanks ahead of time.

The upgrade price is $40 CAD right now, though x4 may not qualify. Even at full price of $69 it’s a bargain for 90% of Photoshop at a tenth of the price

I just upgraded mine from X4 to 2018 Ultimate a few weeks ago for either $24.99 or $19.99 (US), I don't recall for sure, but it was cheap. That price may not be available any longer, but I'm assuming X4 is an acceptable upgrade version. I have the suspicion once you have any product registered with Corel, they're going to keep hounding you to upgrade regardless of version number.

Mystic38 Regular Member • Posts: 226
Re: Paint Shop pro x4 and windows 10

DonnaAp wrote:

I'm in a loop of sorts. I tried to install PSP 4 and got the message that it wasn't compatible with Windows 10. I came here and saw the messages about service packs. I got 2 and then 3, neither of which would work because they said I needed to install PSP first.

Suggestions? I really don't want to upgrade because I like the super simplicity of PSP and it does what I want. I don't do graphics for a living.

Thanks ahead of time.

PSP 2018 ultimate is $50 direct. From Corel atm...

 Mystic38's gear list:Mystic38's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +2 more
hag123 New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Paint Shop pro x4 and windows 10

Just copy the entire Paint Shop Pro folder into Program Files (x86) folder on your C: drive. Then right click the psp.exe file inside the Paint Shop Pro folder and it should start then tell you it can't so hit ok and it does.  Let me know if this works, it did for me on 2 computers.  They just want you to buy some expensive software that doesn't do as well as this ancient one so simply does better.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads