Gary Friedman A7R II Guide

Started Oct 18, 2015 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
bobabend Regular Member • Posts: 242
Gary Friedman A7R II Guide

I just downloaded the subject book with some skepticism but, on an initial look, it is really impressive and well beyond anything I have seen in stores. It even includes a link to download "Quick Reference Cards" that you can carry with you in your bag. Those will be completed in a couple of weeks. It is also 641 Pages!!

I'll provide an update after I have examined the book in depth but it looks like one of those rare exceptional values at this point! Here is a link, if you are interested:

http://friedmanarchivespress.com/ashop/index.php?product=89

PS - I have absolutely no connection with the author!!

Sony Alpha 7R II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
John Triebe Contributing Member • Posts: 711
Re: Gary Friedman A7R II Guide

I just purchased Gary's book as well, and continue to be impressed with how thorough is his coverage of this amazing camera. What is available at the moment is a searchable pdf file (other formats availalble later), in full color and having numerous "links" to additional info on the web. His books aren't the cheapest books out there, but his earlier books on the A6000 and NEX-7 beat anything else I've seen.  And when you consider his new book is less than 1 percent of the price of the camera, it is a steal.

John Triebe's gear list:John Triebe's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 70D Sony Alpha 7R II +47 more
bobabend OP Regular Member • Posts: 242

Well, I have given the book a pretty thorough look, and I definitely recommend it. There is a very thorough set of instructions and explanations for setting the camera up, which can be a chore. My only criticism is that many pages are wasted at the end of the book trying to sell quite a number of things including musical instruments!

Nivedita Contributing Member • Posts: 531

bobabend wrote:

I just downloaded the subject book with some skepticism but, on an initial look, it is really impressive and well beyond anything I have seen in stores. It even includes a link to download "Quick Reference Cards" that you can carry with you in your bag. Those will be completed in a couple of weeks. It is also 641 Pages!!

I'll provide an update after I have examined the book in depth but it looks like one of those rare exceptional values at this point! Here is a link, if you are interested:

I just purchased the book (downloaded it). It looks like a winner. I will provide my feedback later.

-Nivedita

Nivedita's gear list:Nivedita's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR HD Pentax D FA 24-70mm F2.8 ED SDM WR +1 more
charpi Forum Member • Posts: 79

May I humbly ask the people who have purchased the book. Does it cover the Nissin di700a flash in details? Like how to set them up, which modes for different situations, etc. All I see is a section on flash but I do not know which flash it is (I assume Sony). Also, does it help much for people who already have some technical knowledge? I am asking this as I have bought such guide books for the A7 previously. They do have new things to say which I did not know before, but 80% of the book is talking about ISO, shutter speed, peaking and things which I have seen in these forums.

Thanks for your advice

charpi's gear list:charpi's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Olympus PEN E-PL2 Sony Alpha 7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 +1 more
Chuck Eklund Contributing Member • Posts: 593

charpi wrote:

May I humbly ask the people who have purchased the book. Does it cover the Nissin di700a flash in details? Like how to set them up, which modes for different situations, etc. All I see is a section on flash but I do not know which flash it is (I assume Sony). Also, does it help much for people who already have some technical knowledge? I am asking this as I have bought such guide books for the A7 previously. They do have new things to say which I did not know before, but 80% of the book is talking about ISO, shutter speed, peaking and things which I have seen in these forums.

Thanks for your advice

-- hide signature --

It does not include a specific section on the Nissin di700a, but does cover flash options. I concur with others, it is an excellent manual for a very complex camera.

Chuck Eklund's gear list:Chuck Eklund's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Leica Nocticron 42.5mm +3 more
John Triebe Contributing Member • Posts: 711

I've been taking pictures for about 50 years and thus know quite a bit about photography, and therefore any book that I pick up will contain many things I already know. However, with a camera as complex as the A7R Mark II there is always something new to learn, and Gary's books do a superb job on that sort of thing. A case in point are the "Auto Modes" on the A7R and now the A7R Mark II. There are two, Intelligent Auto and Superior Auto and when I first got his book I skipped that section completely because I figured I'd never use it. However, one day I was perusing the book in my spare time and decided to read that chapter. I'm so glad that I did. The engineering wizards at Sony have so much neat tecnology incorporated into those modes that if you never use them you're missing out on some very cool capabilities. Gary's book does a superb job of highlighting these sorts of things.

I think another Gary who happens to be a Sony convert (Gary Fong) said it best in the video he made for B&H on the A6000. He said (and I'm paraphrasing here) if you are a former Nikon or Canon shooter and set up your Sony to emulate those cameras, you are missing many of the neat things these cameras are capable of doing. So if you decide to get Gary's book on the A7R Mark II, read it from cover to cover. You may be surprised at what you learn.

John Triebe's gear list:John Triebe's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 70D Sony Alpha 7R II +47 more
FuhTeng
FuhTeng Contributing Member • Posts: 613

bobabend wrote:

I have the a6000 and RX100M3 books and they're excellent. I'm glad you're enjoying this one too!

-- hide signature --

Happy novice.

FuhTeng's gear list:FuhTeng's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D7100 Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads