Spots in EM-5 II Viewfinder

Started Oct 17, 2015 | Discussions
R. Scott Sherman
R. Scott Sherman Regular Member • Posts: 361
Spots in EM-5 II Viewfinder

I have noticed when looking through the viewfinder on my EM-5 II.  There are 2 noticeable spots.  One on lower left.  One on the upper right closer to center.  They are greenish in color.  I've switched lenses.  I've blew off the sensor with a rocket blower.  You can not see the spots in the back LCD or on the images themselves.  I do not believe they are dust bunnies either.

Has anyone seen this/these before?

-- hide signature --

Scott
www.rscottsherman.com

stagedoor Regular Member • Posts: 117
Re: Spots in EM-5 II Viewfinder

R. Scott Sherman wrote:

I have noticed when looking through the viewfinder on my EM-5 II. There are 2 noticeable spots. One on lower left. One on the upper right closer to center. They are greenish in color. I've switched lenses. I've blew off the sensor with a rocket blower. You can not see the spots in the back LCD or on the images themselves. I do not believe they are dust bunnies either.

I have just noticed one spot the same in my EM1 viewfinder. I have cleaned all exterior glass but it is the same whatever lens is in place, and like you does not appear on images or on the lcd screen. It is, as you say, green and almost luminescent.

stagedoor's gear list:stagedoor's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +5 more
Helen
Helen Veteran Member • Posts: 6,439

R. Scott Sherman wrote:

I have noticed when looking through the viewfinder on my EM-5 II. There are 2 noticeable spots. One on lower left. One on the upper right closer to center. They are greenish in color. I've switched lenses. I've blew off the sensor with a rocket blower. You can not see the spots in the back LCD or on the images themselves. I do not believe they are dust bunnies either.

If these look a kind of "dayglo" and are a bit fluorescent seeming, with a sort of wiggly shape, I am afraid they are probably a kind of sun damage which the technology in the E-M1 and E-M5 Mark II EVFs (and also the separate VF4) are vulnerable to.  To a lesser extent it can also affect the VF2 and the EVFs of the E-M5 and E-M10 original models (lesser because they have smaller eyepieces).  If there has been strong sun, and if you have the eyesight correction dial at quite a high positive setting, this is the likely explanation.  I have read that Olympus will usually fix this for free under the warranty.

savonie
savonie Senior Member • Posts: 2,438

I had the same problem with my first MkII - It is the dreaded burn in caused I believe by high diopter settings - My camera was replaced and I have set the diopter very low and bought a cheap pair of flat lens glasses to use - Have never had any trouble since then - It burned in when the VF was exposed to very bright sunlight - It was apparently much worse on the E-M1 - Good luck - Monty

savonie's gear list:savonie's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL8 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +5 more
rodriguezPhoto
rodriguezPhoto Senior Member • Posts: 2,494

As others have mentioned, your camera is probably suffering from the sunburn effect that troubles the E-M1 and now the E-M5 MkII when the diopter setting is cranked on the plus side.  One forum member, Babalu, created a hot filter to protect the E-M1 viewfinder and posted the complete details here:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/55655537

One person who suffered from the problem and had the camera repaired told me that by replacing the standard eyecup with a deeper one and taking care to prevent exposing the EVF to direct sunlight, no further problems have occurred.

rodriguezPhoto's gear list:rodriguezPhoto's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Canon EOS 6D Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II +44 more
Motorazr
Motorazr Junior Member • Posts: 36
Spots in some Olympus Viewfinders

Note: this thread is from 2015 but I found it searching for “VF-4 spots”.

I was out in the park on a sunny day today with my E-PL7 and pulled my VF-4 out of its pouch, mounted it, and immediately noticed some pale green-blue spots in the viewfinder. My viewfinder was fine when I last used it two days ago! I have my diopter set at normal (+/-0) but I’m guessing this is sun damage.

The VF-4 is a pretty expensive accessory to be damaged just by pulling it out of my pocket outdoors! I’m very disappointed. Surprised too not to have read about this common issue given the number of camera bodies it affects.

Here are two more old threads talking about this issue. Seems like a lot of Olympus camera owners have experienced this issue.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3885810

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3914120

Motorazr's gear list:Motorazr's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Olympus E-420 Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus PEN E-PM1 +12 more
Motorazr
Motorazr Junior Member • Posts: 36
Olympus EVF repair costs

I'm surprised that this thread quickly disappeared off the first page without further comment from anyone.

I looked on the Olympus USA web site and, for an out-of-warranty repair on a EVF, they quote one price (plus shipping and tax) for a "normal" repair and then only a small discount from full retail (plus shipping and tax) for repairs due to "impact/water/sand":

• VF-4 prices are $72.58 or $261.60
  • VF-3 prices are $51.02 or $115.54
  • VF-2 prices are $55.00 or $192.00

What the chances are that Olympus would just send me a new VF-4 without charge? I wouldn't be very hopeful of that happening. Perhaps if I spoke to someone on the phone and politely plead my case.

Anyway, my awareness of this issue drastically changes my willingness to buy a used Olympus OM-D body without first confirming in writing that the camera EVF doesn't have any "green blobs". A used camera body with this issue (no warranty) should be nearly unsalable on eBay.

Motorazr's gear list:Motorazr's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Olympus E-420 Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus PEN E-PM1 +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads