TG4 white balance not registering

Started Oct 14, 2015 | Questions
Notdunroamin New Member • Posts: 1
TG4 white balance not registering

Olympus TG4, my first dive trip with this camera. I use auto settings, not yet comfortable with manual, except for setting white balance manually. I keep getting error message when trying to set white balance underwater, unless the flash is ON. This makes no sense to me, surely white balance should be set with the flash off?

I've also tried all of the underwater auto settings, and unless using macro with flash, everything is very blue, the WB compensation just doesn't seem to compensate well.

Suggestions please! Thanks

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Olympus Tough TG-4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Enders Shadow
Enders Shadow Veteran Member • Posts: 3,446
Re: TG4 white balance not registering

Notdunroamin wrote:

Olympus TG4, my first dive trip with this camera. I use auto settings, not yet comfortable with manual, except for setting white balance manually. I keep getting error message when trying to set white balance underwater, unless the flash is ON. This makes no sense to me, surely white balance should be set with the flash off?

What was the error message? Did you position your white balance slate so it filled the entire screen? Did you have the slate in full light (not in your shadow)?

Enders Shadow's gear list:Enders Shadow's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Olympus Tough TG-3 Fujifilm X30 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Nikon D500 +19 more
Henry Falkner
Henry Falkner Forum Pro • Posts: 15,621

Notdunroamin wrote:

On my SH-series cameras I have to press the MENU button to fix the desired CUSTOM White Balance. The LCD display prompts me to do so.

I've also tried all of the underwater auto settings, and unless using macro with flash, everything is very blue, the WB compensation just doesn't seem to compensate well.

On my SH series also, WB AUTO is useless for finding a suitable correction behind the blue-green tinted windows on some observation decks, such as the Sky Tower, and at the airport.

Suggestions please! Thanks

I have set one of my WB CUSTOM choices very early in the morning on a white house wall in the shadow. Since mine are not under-water cameras, I cannot tell whether that procedure would work for you under-water.

Henry

-- hide signature --

Henry Falkner - SH-2, SH-1, SH-50, SP-570UZ
http://www.pbase.com/hfalkner

Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus SH-1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus OM-D E-M10 IV +1 more
divemorestressless New Member • Posts: 1

Hello!

The issue is with finding a proper surface close enough to WB on. When the flash is on it illuminates enough for a reading on the water itself or backscatter. With the flash off you need to white balance on a white (ideally 18% grey) card that you hold. In a pinch use your palm if your palm is white.  Sometimes you have to hold it at different angles until you get the right reading.  You also need to redo the one touch whenever light changes, even a cloud overhead vs sunlight will affect it a lot.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads