The 6D MKII will not have the 5D3 autofocus system!

Started Oct 11, 2015 | Discussions
The Fat Fish
The Fat Fish Senior Member • Posts: 1,194
The 6D MKII will not have the 5D3 autofocus system!
3

Why would it? I, like many people am always interested in 6D MKII rumours. As far as I am concerned, it is the most important camera for Canon to announce, but some of the rumours surrounding it are just plain silly.

Firstly I see many people saying there will be or wishing for the 5D3's autofocus system. There is no chance Canon would do this as the 6D is the entry level full frame DSLR. Putting in the 5D3's AF would mean the 5D4's would have to be as good if not better than the 7DII's to make it a viable choice, something which is also very unlikely. What most likely is a 19 point system with all cross type points. This is enough of an upgrade without damaging other product lines.

Another thing people are asking for is a 30MP+ sensor. For the same reasons as before, this wont happen. Why would Canon want to bring an entry level camera closer to the 5DS/R? What's likely is a 24MP sensor, another realistic upgrade over its predecessor.

I'd like to know peoples thoughts, but please be realistic. The one thing I am hoping for which is possible is another best in class sensor. As it stands the 6D sensor is Canon's best with the arguable exception of the 5DS/R. It's the reason I purchased the 6D over the 5D3.

 The Fat Fish's gear list:The Fat Fish's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Landscapeforfun Contributing Member • Posts: 730
Re: The 6D MKII will not have the 5D3 autofocus system!
4

Canon needs to be less concerned about competing against themselves and more with how it compares to the competition. If canon wants their entry level ff to compete with Nikon, Sony, etc. then 5 year old tech with a slight af upgrade isn't going to cut it.

 Landscapeforfun's gear list:Landscapeforfun's gear list
Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Rokinon 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Rokinon 24mm F1.4 Aspherical Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +1 more
kotmj Contributing Member • Posts: 571
Re: The 6D MKII will not have the 5D3 autofocus system!
2

Yes. The 6DII has to be better than the Nikon D750.

Andrew ATM216 Junior Member • Posts: 38
Re: The 6D MKII will not have the 5D3 autofocus system!
1

well, hopefully, canon will come up with some new technology...I think a lot of people are looking forward/waiting for improvements in the upcoming 5D Mark IV and 6D Mark II...not bc the current version can't perform....but, bc they need to catch up with Nikon and sony....we all want "the most for our money"....

I am looking forward to see what canon will bring out in their 5D Mark IV and 6D Mark II...and I'm also waiting to see what Fujifilm will bring out in their xpro 2....and then decide between these two (canon 6D Mark II and Fujifilm Xpro 2).

I can't afford to upgrade every 2-3 years.....I do it more like every 10 yrs....that is why these next announcements from canon and Fujifilm are very important/critical (at least for me).

DVT80111 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,753
Your argument are baseless.
2

6D was much better than 5DII, therefore 6DII will be much better than 5D3.

 DVT80111's gear list:DVT80111's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Sony a7R II Fujifilm X-T30
Lawn Lends
Lawn Lends Senior Member • Posts: 1,931
Your baseless are belong to us.

No text.

 Lawn Lends's gear list:Lawn Lends's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sony a7R III
hjulenissen Senior Member • Posts: 2,215
Re: The 6D MKII will not have the 5D3 autofocus system!

Landscapeforfun wrote:

Canon needs to be less concerned about competing against themselves and more with how it compares to the competition. If canon wants their entry level ff to compete with Nikon, Sony, etc. then 5 year old tech with a slight af upgrade isn't going to cut it.

I tend to agree. If they can make a "6DII" with argueably better AF than FF MILF (i.e. A7II/III) maintaining compactness and avoiding being too far behind on sensor tech, they might be able to milk another generation of being the top high-end "prosumer" camera supplier.

Many seasoned Canon users will purchase such a camera simply because it is "good enough" compared to competition and their existing equipment and allows them to re-use existing lenses and ways of working.

Many new camera users will simply follow the herd.

-h

AmbleYonder Senior Member • Posts: 1,960
Re: The 6D MKII will not have the 5D3 autofocus system!

depends if the 5D4 will have a better AF than the 5D3 if that's in pipeline then the 6Dmk2 will incorporate the 5D3 AF.

does not bother me either way, AF is way down on my  list of priorities that why i bought a 6D.

Jonathan Brady
Jonathan Brady Veteran Member • Posts: 6,725
Ehhhhh...
1

6D was much better than 5DII, therefore 6DII will be much better than 5D3.

I disagree (not that either of us KNOWS)

The 5D Mark II had a very basic AF module and performance (basically the same as the 5D, right?). The 5D Mark III in comparison is an enormous upgrade in terms of AF capability. To suggest that the 6D Mark II will also make an enormous leap in AF performance past that of the 5D Mark III (and thus be on par or better than the 1DX) based on the fact that the 6D is better than the basic 5D Mark II in terms of AF ignores how dramatic the change was from 5D Mark II to the 5D Mark III.

The 6D is an entry level FF, it's (IMO) unlikely to get pro-level AF.

Cenk
Cenk Senior Member • Posts: 1,608
Re: The 6D MKII will not have the 5D3 autofocus system!

What about the touch/tiltable screen & dual-pixel AF ? Very very important features for videographers & landscape photographers (LV AF)... Personally, for example,  I don't buy a DSLR body anymore without a dual-pixel AF...

-- hide signature --

Cenk Ogurtani
facebook.com/CenkOgurtaniWildlifePhotography

 Cenk's gear list:Cenk's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D5000 Canon EOS 7D Nikon 1 V1 Canon EOS 70D +25 more
tr573 Senior Member • Posts: 1,329
Re: Your argument are baseless.
1

DVT80111 wrote:

6D was much better than 5DII, therefore 6DII will be much better than 5D3.

I look at the 5d1 & 2 (and now 6d) as taking the same spot as the EOS 5 took in the film lineup, and the 5d3 being more like the EOS 3.  It was a big move upmarket - the 6D is the spiritual successor to the 5d1&2 even if not in name.

BlueCosmo5050
BlueCosmo5050 Senior Member • Posts: 1,589
Re: The 6D MKII will not have the 5D3 autofocus system!

The Fat Fish wrote:

Why would it? I, like many people am always interested in 6D MKII rumours. As far as I am concerned, it is the most important camera for Canon to announce, but some of the rumours surrounding it are just plain silly.

Firstly I see many people saying there will be or wishing for the 5D3's autofocus system. There is no chance Canon would do this as the 6D is the entry level full frame DSLR. Putting in the 5D3's AF would mean the 5D4's would have to be as good if not better than the 7DII's to make it a viable choice, something which is also very unlikely. What most likely is a 19 point system with all cross type points. This is enough of an upgrade without damaging other product lines.

Another thing people are asking for is a 30MP+ sensor. For the same reasons as before, this wont happen. Why would Canon want to bring an entry level camera closer to the 5DS/R? What's likely is a 24MP sensor, another realistic upgrade over its predecessor.

I'd like to know peoples thoughts, but please be realistic. The one thing I am hoping for which is possible is another best in class sensor. As it stands the 6D sensor is Canon's best with the arguable exception of the 5DS/R. It's the reason I purchased the 6D over the 5D3.

It will have the 5D Mark iii auto focus system, if not a better one. They want your money. They cannot afford to screw this up.

It has to compete with the Nikon D750. Every time Canon releases a camera it usually exceeds the Nikon, for example the Canon 6D ISO performance compared to the Nikon D600. That's what it competed against when it came out, but Nikon puts out cameras quicker.

They can not just give it a few more megapixels and think you are going to buy it. You will have plenty of cross type points, you'll have the new AF system for video, you'll have 1080p 60p at the least, if not more.

I do believe the 6D will have a 24 MP sensor, the 5D will have a 28 megapixel sensor. Keep in mind, the flag ship cameras only have 18 on Canon and 16 on Nikon, they are just now getting to 20.

They want to keep the burst rate high. For the first time, without having to buy a 1D series, the 5D Mark IV will be able to be a sports camera, with a high burst rate, as well as an even better tracking auto focus system. Used to, if you wanted to get serious about sports, the 5D Mark iii would do it, but you really wanted the 1D, or just go crop with the 7D. That will now end.

They will exceed the Nikon D750, especially with the pressure on them. A year later, Nikon will probably exceed the focusing system of the Canon 6D Mark ii. But that's how they work.

At 24 megapixels, it's gonna have even more ISO performance, it'll probably be the same sensor as the 5D Mark IV with 4 less pixels, meaning like the 6D over the 5D Mark iii, it'll have slightly better ISO performance. It may or may not have better dynamic range, it did last time. This time I suspect they will be about the same.

The 4 megapixels aren't gonna be that noticeable, especially on computer monitors.

30 or 36 megapixels is hitting that point to where you can't do as fast of auto focus and tracking, as well as ISO performance unless they were to do what Sony did, and they aren't going to do that.

I believe it will be the ultimate photo machine, the 5D Mark IV and the 6D Mark ii. It will be what we wanted.

It probably won't be what people wanted who wanted 4k video in everything, lots of video features etc.

But for the still photographer, I don't think it's gonna disappoint.

Even if it did have 19 cross type focus points, thats enough. If you need fast tracking you get the 5D. Just like now.

The rumors are, the 6D Mark ii will be a higher tier product than the last 6D. Meaning there will be a further gap.

I don't think it will be as cheap as last time, I think the 5D may cost more than it used to as well.

 BlueCosmo5050's gear list:BlueCosmo5050's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +1 more
shleed Contributing Member • Posts: 623
Re: The 6D MKII will not have the 5D3 autofocus system!

Why does it matter? It's going to be the price of a 5DmkIII now when it comes out. In fact, just get a 5DmkIII.

 shleed's gear list:shleed's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +1 more
bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 62,177
Re: The 6D MKII will not have the 5D3 autofocus system!
1

The Fat Fish wrote:

Why would it? I, like many people am always interested in 6D MKII rumours. As far as I am concerned, it is the most important camera for Canon to announce, but some of the rumours surrounding it are just plain silly.

Firstly I see many people saying there will be or wishing for the 5D3's autofocus system. There is no chance Canon would do this as the 6D is the entry level full frame DSLR. Putting in the 5D3's AF would mean the 5D4's would have to be as good if not better than the 7DII's to make it a viable choice, something which is also very unlikely. What most likely is a 19 point system with all cross type points. This is enough of an upgrade without damaging other product lines.

Another thing people are asking for is a 30MP+ sensor. For the same reasons as before, this wont happen. Why would Canon want to bring an entry level camera closer to the 5DS/R? What's likely is a 24MP sensor, another realistic upgrade over its predecessor.

I'd like to know peoples thoughts, but please be realistic. The one thing I am hoping for which is possible is another best in class sensor. As it stands the 6D sensor is Canon's best with the arguable exception of the 5DS/R. It's the reason I purchased the 6D over the 5D3.

I think that it is not unlikely that the 6D MkII will replace both the 6D and the 5D MkIII, and might therefore very likely have the 5D MkIII AF system. On Canon's normal 3 year-ish release cycle, the 5D MkIV was due in march this year. Instead we got a 5Ds and R. The 6D MkII is due right now. So, I suspect what is happening is that the 5Ds line represents a move of the 5D line to a high MP line, like the Nikon D8x0 line and the 6D will move to more directly compete with the D750. If it does, that don't leave much room for the traditional 5D, so I think it will go.

-- hide signature --

Bob
"Always be kind to people, even if you don't really understand or relate to what they're doing"
Jeremy Hudson.

George Spencer Senior Member • Posts: 1,079
Re: The 6D MKII will not have the 5D3 autofocus system!

bobn2 wrote:

The Fat Fish wrote:

Why would it? I, like many people am always interested in 6D MKII rumours. As far as I am concerned, it is the most important camera for Canon to announce, but some of the rumours surrounding it are just plain silly.

Firstly I see many people saying there will be or wishing for the 5D3's autofocus system. There is no chance Canon would do this as the 6D is the entry level full frame DSLR. Putting in the 5D3's AF would mean the 5D4's would have to be as good if not better than the 7DII's to make it a viable choice, something which is also very unlikely. What most likely is a 19 point system with all cross type points. This is enough of an upgrade without damaging other product lines.

Another thing people are asking for is a 30MP+ sensor. For the same reasons as before, this wont happen. Why would Canon want to bring an entry level camera closer to the 5DS/R? What's likely is a 24MP sensor, another realistic upgrade over its predecessor.

I'd like to know peoples thoughts, but please be realistic. The one thing I am hoping for which is possible is another best in class sensor. As it stands the 6D sensor is Canon's best with the arguable exception of the 5DS/R. It's the reason I purchased the 6D over the 5D3.

I think that it is not unlikely that the 6D MkII will replace both the 6D and the 5D MkIII, and might therefore very likely have the 5D MkIII AF system. On Canon's normal 3 year-ish release cycle, the 5D MkIV was due in march this year. Instead we got a 5Ds and R. The 6D MkII is due right now. So, I suspect what is happening is that the 5Ds line represents a move of the 5D line to a high MP line, like the Nikon D8x0 line and the 6D will move to more directly compete with the D750. If it does, that don't leave much room for the traditional 5D, so I think it will go.

I agree . . . and don't leave out the new 7DII that just came out.

 George Spencer's gear list:George Spencer's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +12 more
bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 62,177
Re: The 6D MKII will not have the 5D3 autofocus system!

George Spencer wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

The Fat Fish wrote:

Why would it? I, like many people am always interested in 6D MKII rumours. As far as I am concerned, it is the most important camera for Canon to announce, but some of the rumours surrounding it are just plain silly.

Firstly I see many people saying there will be or wishing for the 5D3's autofocus system. There is no chance Canon would do this as the 6D is the entry level full frame DSLR. Putting in the 5D3's AF would mean the 5D4's would have to be as good if not better than the 7DII's to make it a viable choice, something which is also very unlikely. What most likely is a 19 point system with all cross type points. This is enough of an upgrade without damaging other product lines.

Another thing people are asking for is a 30MP+ sensor. For the same reasons as before, this wont happen. Why would Canon want to bring an entry level camera closer to the 5DS/R? What's likely is a 24MP sensor, another realistic upgrade over its predecessor.

I'd like to know peoples thoughts, but please be realistic. The one thing I am hoping for which is possible is another best in class sensor. As it stands the 6D sensor is Canon's best with the arguable exception of the 5DS/R. It's the reason I purchased the 6D over the 5D3.

I think that it is not unlikely that the 6D MkII will replace both the 6D and the 5D MkIII, and might therefore very likely have the 5D MkIII AF system. On Canon's normal 3 year-ish release cycle, the 5D MkIV was due in march this year. Instead we got a 5Ds and R. The 6D MkII is due right now. So, I suspect what is happening is that the 5Ds line represents a move of the 5D line to a high MP line, like the Nikon D8x0 line and the 6D will move to more directly compete with the D750. If it does, that don't leave much room for the traditional 5D, so I think it will go.

I agree . . . and don't leave out the new 7DII that just came out.

That's true. That also cramps the space for an action-orientated camera in that segment.

-- hide signature --

Bob
"Always be kind to people, even if you don't really understand or relate to what they're doing"
Jeremy Hudson.

Potemkin_Photo Senior Member • Posts: 1,920
Re: The 6D MKII will not have the 5D3 autofocus system!

bobn2 wrote:

George Spencer wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

The Fat Fish wrote:

Why would it? I, like many people am always interested in 6D MKII rumours. As far as I am concerned, it is the most important camera for Canon to announce, but some of the rumours surrounding it are just plain silly.

Firstly I see many people saying there will be or wishing for the 5D3's autofocus system. There is no chance Canon would do this as the 6D is the entry level full frame DSLR. Putting in the 5D3's AF would mean the 5D4's would have to be as good if not better than the 7DII's to make it a viable choice, something which is also very unlikely. What most likely is a 19 point system with all cross type points. This is enough of an upgrade without damaging other product lines.

Another thing people are asking for is a 30MP+ sensor. For the same reasons as before, this wont happen. Why would Canon want to bring an entry level camera closer to the 5DS/R? What's likely is a 24MP sensor, another realistic upgrade over its predecessor.

I'd like to know peoples thoughts, but please be realistic. The one thing I am hoping for which is possible is another best in class sensor. As it stands the 6D sensor is Canon's best with the arguable exception of the 5DS/R. It's the reason I purchased the 6D over the 5D3.

I think that it is not unlikely that the 6D MkII will replace both the 6D and the 5D MkIII, and might therefore very likely have the 5D MkIII AF system. On Canon's normal 3 year-ish release cycle, the 5D MkIV was due in march this year. Instead we got a 5Ds and R. The 6D MkII is due right now. So, I suspect what is happening is that the 5Ds line represents a move of the 5D line to a high MP line, like the Nikon D8x0 line and the 6D will move to more directly compete with the D750. If it does, that don't leave much room for the traditional 5D, so I think it will go.

I agree . . . and don't leave out the new 7DII that just came out.

That's true. That also cramps the space for an action-orientated camera in that segment.

Canon's releases in 2016 are truly going to be make or break.

If they continue in the vein of the releases for their other categories over the last week, it's going to be a mass defection. They will have been the ones to have smelted their golden egg into nothing, and only have themselves to blame for it.

Chuck Westfield will end up defending the lukewarm releases of this company is until there is no more company to speak of much less chair for him to sit in.

Lawn Lends
Lawn Lends Senior Member • Posts: 1,931
Re: The 6D MKII will not have the 5D3 autofocus system!

Potemkin_Photo wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

George Spencer wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

The Fat Fish wrote:

Why would it? I, like many people am always interested in 6D MKII rumours. As far as I am concerned, it is the most important camera for Canon to announce, but some of the rumours surrounding it are just plain silly.

Firstly I see many people saying there will be or wishing for the 5D3's autofocus system. There is no chance Canon would do this as the 6D is the entry level full frame DSLR. Putting in the 5D3's AF would mean the 5D4's would have to be as good if not better than the 7DII's to make it a viable choice, something which is also very unlikely. What most likely is a 19 point system with all cross type points. This is enough of an upgrade without damaging other product lines.

Another thing people are asking for is a 30MP+ sensor. For the same reasons as before, this wont happen. Why would Canon want to bring an entry level camera closer to the 5DS/R? What's likely is a 24MP sensor, another realistic upgrade over its predecessor.

I'd like to know peoples thoughts, but please be realistic. The one thing I am hoping for which is possible is another best in class sensor. As it stands the 6D sensor is Canon's best with the arguable exception of the 5DS/R. It's the reason I purchased the 6D over the 5D3.

I think that it is not unlikely that the 6D MkII will replace both the 6D and the 5D MkIII, and might therefore very likely have the 5D MkIII AF system. On Canon's normal 3 year-ish release cycle, the 5D MkIV was due in march this year. Instead we got a 5Ds and R. The 6D MkII is due right now. So, I suspect what is happening is that the 5Ds line represents a move of the 5D line to a high MP line, like the Nikon D8x0 line and the 6D will move to more directly compete with the D750. If it does, that don't leave much room for the traditional 5D, so I think it will go.

I agree . . . and don't leave out the new 7DII that just came out.

That's true. That also cramps the space for an action-orientated camera in that segment.

Canon's releases in 2016 are truly going to be make or break.

If they continue in the vein of the releases for their other categories over the last week, it's going to be a mass defection. They will have been the ones to have smelted their golden egg into nothing, and only have themselves to blame for it.

Chuck Westfield will end up defending the lukewarm releases of this company is until there is no more company to speak of much less chair for him to sit in.

Well, Canon is only neglecting the FF area. It is only a small segment of it's business. Canon stockholders probably couldn't care less about their FF cameras.

Now, I do believe that is a technological "trickle up" from smaller format cameras to FF cameras. So a failure to compete in the FF format camera area may be a reflection of overall sensor inferiority -- then Canon stockholders might be concerned.

 Lawn Lends's gear list:Lawn Lends's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sony a7R III
Alastair Norcross Veteran Member • Posts: 6,729
Re: The 6D MKII will not have the 5D3 autofocus system!

Lawn Lends wrote:

Well, Canon is only neglecting the FF area.

Neglecting the FF area? Are the 5DS and R so old? As far as I know, they're still the highest definition FF cameras available.

-- hide signature --

As the length of a thread approaches 150, the probability that someone will make the obvious "it's not the camera, it's the photographer" remark approaches 1.
Alastair
http://anorcross.smugmug.com
Equipment in profile

 Alastair Norcross's gear list:Alastair Norcross's gear list
Canon G7 X II Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M6 II Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) +24 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads