Tamron 35mm 1.8 has arrived. Test shots

Started Oct 8, 2015 | Discussions
danelmix
danelmix Contributing Member • Posts: 664
Tamron 35mm 1.8 has arrived. Test shots

Hey all. I came over from Sony Alpha to a Nikon D810.  Had the Sigma 35mm Art for my A99 and it was my street lens of choice. Decided to try the Tamron because hey 300 dollars difference is a nice savings and I am near water a lot so weathersealing is a plus. Also the Sigma was never happy being close to the subject.  Upon opening the tamron my thought was "nice", the Sigma is nicer to the eye but, and a big BUT for me, the Tammy is smaller (stubby) and that I like.  So I put it on the body and asked Burton (my dog) to do some real world test.  VR on all times.

Shot RAW, coverted to JPEG in ACR, flat.

Check the 100% and tell me what you think.

1.8 handheld.  focus point on the eye

6.3 handheld. focus point on the eye

And the close up capability was real nice!

The Sigma Art would have not liked this scenario, at least my copy wouldn't have.

Do some landscape/streetscape next, but out of the box I like what see.

I am not a technical tester just providing some "real world" shots for those who are curious about this new glass.

Cheers

danelmix's gear list:danelmix's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Nikon D5 Leica M10 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH +5 more
Nikon D810 Sony Alpha a99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
knightmelodic
knightmelodic Senior Member • Posts: 1,647
Re: Tamron 35mm 1.8 has arrived. Test shots

First thing I notice is the nice bokeh. I also like the smooth colors but then again that could be the D810 sensor. Looking forward to more pics. Tammy seems to have really stepped up their game.

-- hide signature --

Just keep clicking, something will turn out fantastic.

knightmelodic's gear list:knightmelodic's gear list
Nikon D750 Olympus E-M1 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +15 more
danelmix
OP danelmix Contributing Member • Posts: 664

knightmelodic wrote:

First thing I notice is the nice bokeh. I also like the smooth colors but then again that could be the D810 sensor. Looking forward to more pics. Tammy seems to have really stepped up their game.

Agreed. Colors are very smooth. Forgot to mention in original post, AF is really smooth and snappy.

Sony Alpha a7R II Nikon D5 Leica M10 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH +5 more
TSWD Regular Member • Posts: 300

Thanks for sharing.  Booked looks half decent for a wide angle.

TSWD's gear list:TSWD's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +13 more
jeanphilippe Goube Senior Member • Posts: 1,898

knightmelodic wrote:

First thing I notice is the nice bokeh. I also like the smooth colors but then again that could be the D810 sensor. .. Tammy seems to have really stepped up their game.

May be because they have hired great optics designers :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jun_Hirakawa

-- hide signature --

jpgoube

jeanphilippe Goube's gear list:jeanphilippe Goube's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8E FL ED VR Pentax Q Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +13 more
danelmix

TSWD wrote:

Thanks for sharing. Booked looks half decent for a wide angle.

Gotta say it looks real good.

greenmanphoto Senior Member • Posts: 2,642

knightmelodic wrote:

Knightmelodic,

I agree the photos look quite nice! The bokeh is good, the colors nice, and the photos seem to have good IQ all around. I also agree that Tamron is really making some VERY nice lenses, these days. I own the 70-300 and the 70-200, and I really like my 70-200! The 70-300 seems to be a bit soft at the far end when the subject is far away. If the subject is relatively close, it's pretty sharp. I need to send it in to Tamron to  have them look it over one of these days.

Thanks to the OP for the shots! This isn't a lens on my wishlist, but it's still nice to see the shots and what seems like good news for the lens.

Sam

-- hide signature --

Sam B.
D200, 16-85mm, 35-135mm, Sigma 10-20 f3.5 N8008s, Gitzo 2531, Induro DM-01 ballhead
Certified Texas Master Naturalist
Proud WSSA Member #260!
www.flickr.com/photos/sibeardjr
www.doormouse-editions.com

greenmanphoto's gear list:greenmanphoto's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +15 more
ImageAmateur Senior Member • Posts: 4,677

Looks a nice lens, seems the focus is accurate, bokeh seems okay, would have to see more examples.

Nice dog, enjoy.

-- hide signature --

Wishing You Good Light.

ImageAmateur's gear list:ImageAmateur's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Phase One Capture One Pro
lysoleverywhere Forum Member • Posts: 71

Any chance you could share some low light examples at 1.8?

Very interested in this lens!

lysoleverywhere's gear list:lysoleverywhere's gear list
Nikon D750 Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +1 more
EugeneC Regular Member • Posts: 481

The lens makes Burton look great;-)

EugeneC's gear list:EugeneC's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R III Fujifilm X-H1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +9 more
anotherMike Veteran Member • Posts: 9,165

Do we know for sure if Jun did the Tamron 35? I've been busy and haven't searched for patent documents. I'm well covered at 35mm (and also the 45/50mm range) so while I've shot with both Tamron primes, I'm not in any need of them personally... but I'm still curious if Jun did the design.

-m

shadowfax123 Regular Member • Posts: 339

Hey all. I came over from Sony Alpha to a Nikon D810.  Had the Sigma 35mm Art for my A99 and it was my street lens of choice. Decided to try the Tamron because hey 300 dollars difference is a nice savings and I am near water a lot so weathersealing is a plus. Also the Sigma was never happy being close to the subject.  Upon opening the tamron my thought was "nice", the Sigma is nicer to the eye but, and a big BUT for me, the Tammy is smaller (stubby) and that I like.  So I put it on the body and asked Burton (my dog) to do some real world test.  VR on all times.

1.8 handheld.  focus point on the eye

The Sigma Art would have not liked this scenario, at least my copy wouldn't have.

I am not a technical tester just providing some "real world" shots for those who are curious about this new glass.

Cheers

Welcome to Nikon:-). I too am a recent convert from Sony (e.g. a99). I wish Nikon had something like the Zeiss 24-70. It's my all time fav. Indeed, nice bokeh from your Tamron.

-- hide signature --

Please see profile for gear list...

shadowfax123's gear list:shadowfax123's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +23 more
BobWorrell
BobWorrell Senior Member • Posts: 2,751

danelmix wrote:

Hey all. I came over from Sony Alpha to a Nikon D810. Had the Sigma 35mm Art for my A99 and it was my street lens of choice. Decided to try the Tamron because hey 300 dollars difference is a nice savings and I am near water a lot so weathersealing is a plus. Also the Sigma was never happy being close to the subject. Upon opening the tamron my thought was "nice", the Sigma is nicer to the eye but, and a big BUT for me, the Tammy is smaller (stubby) and that I like. So I put it on the body and asked Burton (my dog) to do some real world test. VR on all times.

1.8 handheld. focus point on the eye

Cheers

Nice clarity and color, Burton looks good, I think you needed a little more DOF on the bug, maybe f/8 or 9.

BobWorrell's gear list:BobWorrell's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Brev00
Brev00 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,064

knightmelodic wrote:

Knightmelodic,

I agree the photos look quite nice! The bokeh is good, the colors nice, and the photos seem to have good IQ all around. I also agree that Tamron is really making some VERY nice lenses, these days. I own the 70-300 and the 70-200, and I really like my 70-200! The 70-300 seems to be a bit soft at the far end when the subject is far away. If the subject is relatively close, it's pretty sharp. I need to send it in to Tamron to  have them look it over one of these days.

Thanks to the OP for the shots! This isn't a lens on my wishlist, but it's still nice to see the shots and what seems like good news for the lens.

Sam

I highly recommend a visit to Tamron sooner rather than later. I sent mine in after 4 plus years of steady use and it came back better than ever. The af is now super precise and the shots are clearer at medium to long distance. I also plan on buying the new 35 to proactively get some super full frame glass before I add a full frame body. It looks very nice.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brev00

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II +4 more
greenmanphoto Senior Member • Posts: 2,642

Brev00 wrote:

knightmelodic wrote:

Knightmelodic,

I agree the photos look quite nice! The bokeh is good, the colors nice, and the photos seem to have good IQ all around. I also agree that Tamron is really making some VERY nice lenses, these days. I own the 70-300 and the 70-200, and I really like my 70-200! The 70-300 seems to be a bit soft at the far end when the subject is far away. If the subject is relatively close, it's pretty sharp. I need to send it in to Tamron to have them look it over one of these days.

Sam

I highly recommend a visit to Tamron sooner rather than later. I sent mine in after 4 plus years of steady use and it came back better than ever. The af is now super precise and the shots are clearer at medium to long distance. I also plan on buying the new 35 to proactively get some super full frame glass before I add a full frame body. It looks very nice.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brev00

Brev00,

Thanks for that! I'll probably try to do that soon, then.

Sam

-- hide signature --

Sam B.
D200, 16-85mm, 35-135mm, Sigma 10-20 f3.5 N8008s, Gitzo 2531, Induro DM-01 ballhead
Certified Texas Master Naturalist
Proud WSSA Member #260!
www.flickr.com/photos/sibeardjr
www.doormouse-editions.com

greenmanphoto's gear list:greenmanphoto's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +15 more
danelmix

A few days now with it, and I have to say I am loving this glass!

BobWorrell
BobWorrell Senior Member • Posts: 2,751

danelmix wrote:

A few days now with it, and I have to say I am loving this glass!

Thats what its all about, (and sharing the result).

Thanks, Bob W.

BobWorrell's gear list:BobWorrell's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
photo72 New Member • Posts: 16

Nice pictures! I like the colors and sharpness.

Any chance you could share some low light examples?  I am interested in this lens!

Jason Busch
Jason Busch Veteran Member • Posts: 6,841

danelmix wrote:

Hey all. I came over from Sony Alpha to a Nikon D810. Had the Sigma 35mm Art for my A99 and it was my street lens of choice. Decided to try the Tamron because hey 300 dollars difference is a nice savings and I am near water a lot so weathersealing is a plus. Also the Sigma was never happy being close to the subject. Upon opening the tamron my thought was "nice", the Sigma is nicer to the eye but, and a big BUT for me, the Tammy is smaller (stubby) and that I like. So I put it on the body and asked Burton (my dog) to do some real world test. VR on all times.

1.8 handheld. focus point on the eye

Cheers

The Tamron 35mm f/1.8 seems like a nice lens as well as delivering great image quality.

I've only had my Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | A lens for a week but I have to say, for those looking for an alternative which is not a Nikon and if the Sigma is too heavy and expensive, the Tamron would be a great option.

Also, dare I say, the 35mm can be an amazing portrait lens.

-- hide signature --
 Jason Busch's gear list:Jason Busch's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Nikon D750 Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 +1 more
vbuhay
vbuhay Veteran Member • Posts: 3,556

Here are more test shots from Tuttles in Long Beach, CA. I was in to take my best lens (Tamron 150-600) for some non-optical warranty work... and happen to ask if they had the 35mm in. Yes they did. I ask to test it on my D800 - I am amazed at the IQ . Not cheap at $599.00, I was close to taking it home....Similar AF speed to my 24-70.... see attached images....

Maybe for Christmas....

vbuhay's gear list:vbuhay's gear list
Pentax K20D Nikon D800E Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +32 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads